The event, hosted by Slovakian MEP Katarína Neveďalová, attracted the attention of many Members of the European Parliament, senior politicians, EU officials and diplomats, APA reports quoting TEAS.
The exhibition showcased photographs of contemporary Azerbaijani people, culture, landscapes and architecture in the magnificent Yehudi Menuhin space. Previously presented in London, Paris and Berlin, these photographs were selected from around 750 submissions received from photographers based in Azerbaijan and across the world for a competition run by TEAS.
Katarína Neveďalová MEP remarked: “This is a wonderful exhibition about a beautiful country. I recently visited Azerbaijan and, when I saw the photos, asked why the exhibition has not been called The Colors of Azerbaijan. Just by walking in the streets, I immediately saw the colors of the country and people. Organization of this exhibition is an event of friendship and solidarity.
“Whilst I was in Baku, I spoke to Asim Talib, who photographed Old Men, the winning image, and he expressed pride that his picture would be shown in the European Parliament premises. Azerbaijan is a magnificent country. Although it is possibly insufficiently known across Europe, it is a modern and open nation. Azerbaijan through the Lens will definitely attract the attention of European policy-makers. One can say that this exhibition is now in its right place, in the very heart of Europe, building the necessary bridges between European and Azerbaijani culture. “
H.E. Fuad Isgandarov, Azerbaijani Ambassador to Belgium and Head of the Azerbaijani delegation to the European Union, said: “This cultural event demonstrates our common values. I am pleased to represent a country of many different colors, ethnicities and religions. I am proud of my country and the bridges that it creates between cultures. Enjoy the beautiful colors of Azerbaijan with us.”
Lionel Zetter, Director, TEAS, said: “Azerbaijan through the Lens is a unique project, not only with its ambition, but definitely with its result. This exhibition certainly captures Azerbaijan at its best, and presents this beautiful country on the Caspian shores to the public. These pictures show the sheer breadth of the culture and climate of Azerbaijan. However, the winning picture, Old Men, is most nostalgic. It was taken in Kelbajar in 1985, and could not be taken today, as this area is now under Armenian occupation.
“With this type of cultural initiative, TEAS aims to raise awareness of Azerbaijan and to foster closer economic, political and cultural links between the country and the nations of Europe.”
Roman Huna, Head, and TEAS Brussels, added: “Azerbaijan is a country that is worth placing in the spotlight. The open and tolerant character of Azerbaijani society, the beauty of its nature and the hospitality of its people make this country a perfect partner for the European Union. I’m proud that this prestigious photography exhibition will be showcased for a week in the European Parliament, and will attract a large number of admirers, thanks to the quality of the competition submissions.”
After the exhibition in the European Parliament, Azerbaijan through the Lens will be exhibited in the Tour & Taxis Business Centre, Brussels.
- 20/12/2014 A brief excursus into U.S-Azerbaijani relations and reflections on future
- 19/12/2014 Ambassador: We hope Azerbaijan will invest in Moldovan economy - INTERVIEW
- 19/12/2014 Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia has deployed Japan-made military hardware in Nagorno-Karabakh, acquiring it through a third side
- 19/12/2014 Ambassador: 2014 has been extremely fruitful and significant in terms of Azerbaijani-Georgian relations
- 19/12/2014 Georgian ambassador: Progress will soon be achieved toward border delimitation and demarcation, the matter will be settled
- 18/12/2014 President Ilham Aliyev receives Secretary General of Socialist International
- 18/12/2014 Series of events proposed to be held in Turkic-speaking countries on 25th anniversary of Karabakh incidents
- 18/12/2014 TURKPA Secretary General: Azerbaijan plays significant role in establishment and development of Turkic peoples’ union
- 18/12/2014 Turkey’s representative to UNESCO: I hope Armenian delegation will evaluate Azerbaijan’s generosity and avoid confrontation
- 17/12/2014 Azerbaijani President congratulates Emir of Qatar
- 17/12/2014 US does not provide any assistance to separatist regime in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 17/12/2014 President Ilham Aliyev receives BP Group Chief Executive
- 17/12/2014 Azerbaijani President offers condolences to Pakistani counterpart
- 17/12/2014 US Embassy: We eagerly await Cekuta’s arrival in Azerbaijan
- 17/12/2014 Ambassador: Armenia’s accession to Eurasian Economic Union unlikely to affect Azerbaijan-Belarus relations
- 17/12/2014 US Senate confirms Robert Cekuta as ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 17/12/2014 Foreign Ministry: Azerbaijan, as a country suffering from terrorism, condemns terrorism in all its forms and manifestations
- 16/12/2014 Ambassador: "Next year is Nursultan Nazarbayev's turn to visit Azerbaijan"
- 16/12/2014 Polad Bulbuloglu: No country would compromise its national interests and territorial integrity to another
- 16/12/2014 Azerbaijani parliament raises issue of using Azerbaijani language at international organizations
- 15/12/2014 Azerbaijani President congratulates Kazakh counterpart
- 15/12/2014 Azerbaijani President congratulates King of Bahrain
- 15/12/2014 Azerbaijani President receives Deputy Prime Minister of Poland
- 15/12/2014 Azerbaijani President awards employees of Emergency Situations Ministry
- 15/12/2014 President Ilham Aliyev receives Maltese PM
- 15/12/2014 Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry: Armenia has turned Gevorgyan’s family into a baseless tool for propaganda beyond moral, ethical, legal and humane values
- 15/12/2014 Maltese PM embarks on official visit to Azerbaijan
- 13/12/2014 PACE winter session agenda made public
- 13/12/2014 Etienne Mahcupyan: Turkey’s making concessions in issues of Armenian genocide and opening of borders is impossible
- 13/12/2014 Venice Commission adopts opinion to law on NGOs of Azerbaijan
- 12/12/2014 President Ilham Aliyev receives President of International Equestrian Federation
- 12/12/2014 Azerbaijan, Georgia to construct two border checkpoints – Deputy FM
- 12/12/2014 Azerbaijan will remain a country of strategic importance to NATO - James Appathurai
- 11/12/2014 Azerbaijani President receives Speaker of Serbian National Assembly
- 11/12/2014 Serbian National Assembly President: During our OSCE chairmanship, we’ll do our utmost for Nagorno-Karabakh conflict settlement
- 11/12/2014 Azer Gasimov: ‘I again urge the US State Department to focus attention on apparent and flagrant violation of democratic principles in its country’
- 11/12/2014 Azerbaijani, Georgian and Turkish FMs sign Kars Statement
- 10/12/2014 Georgia to host next trilateral meeting of Azerbaijani, Georgian and Turkish FMs
- 10/12/2014 Polad Bulbuloglu: Azerbaijani citizens coming to Russia for employment should be aware of changes in country’s migration legislation
- 10/12/2014 Azerbaijani, Georgian FMs meet in Kars - PHOTO