The event, hosted by Slovakian MEP Katarína Neveďalová, attracted the attention of many Members of the European Parliament, senior politicians, EU officials and diplomats, APA reports quoting TEAS.
The exhibition showcased photographs of contemporary Azerbaijani people, culture, landscapes and architecture in the magnificent Yehudi Menuhin space. Previously presented in London, Paris and Berlin, these photographs were selected from around 750 submissions received from photographers based in Azerbaijan and across the world for a competition run by TEAS.
Katarína Neveďalová MEP remarked: “This is a wonderful exhibition about a beautiful country. I recently visited Azerbaijan and, when I saw the photos, asked why the exhibition has not been called The Colors of Azerbaijan. Just by walking in the streets, I immediately saw the colors of the country and people. Organization of this exhibition is an event of friendship and solidarity.
“Whilst I was in Baku, I spoke to Asim Talib, who photographed Old Men, the winning image, and he expressed pride that his picture would be shown in the European Parliament premises. Azerbaijan is a magnificent country. Although it is possibly insufficiently known across Europe, it is a modern and open nation. Azerbaijan through the Lens will definitely attract the attention of European policy-makers. One can say that this exhibition is now in its right place, in the very heart of Europe, building the necessary bridges between European and Azerbaijani culture. “
H.E. Fuad Isgandarov, Azerbaijani Ambassador to Belgium and Head of the Azerbaijani delegation to the European Union, said: “This cultural event demonstrates our common values. I am pleased to represent a country of many different colors, ethnicities and religions. I am proud of my country and the bridges that it creates between cultures. Enjoy the beautiful colors of Azerbaijan with us.”
Lionel Zetter, Director, TEAS, said: “Azerbaijan through the Lens is a unique project, not only with its ambition, but definitely with its result. This exhibition certainly captures Azerbaijan at its best, and presents this beautiful country on the Caspian shores to the public. These pictures show the sheer breadth of the culture and climate of Azerbaijan. However, the winning picture, Old Men, is most nostalgic. It was taken in Kelbajar in 1985, and could not be taken today, as this area is now under Armenian occupation.
“With this type of cultural initiative, TEAS aims to raise awareness of Azerbaijan and to foster closer economic, political and cultural links between the country and the nations of Europe.”
Roman Huna, Head, and TEAS Brussels, added: “Azerbaijan is a country that is worth placing in the spotlight. The open and tolerant character of Azerbaijani society, the beauty of its nature and the hospitality of its people make this country a perfect partner for the European Union. I’m proud that this prestigious photography exhibition will be showcased for a week in the European Parliament, and will attract a large number of admirers, thanks to the quality of the competition submissions.”
After the exhibition in the European Parliament, Azerbaijan through the Lens will be exhibited in the Tour & Taxis Business Centre, Brussels.
- 20/08/2014 Iraqi Embassy in Azerbaijan: “We urge our citizens and Yezidi Kurds not to visit Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20/08/2014 PACE Monitoring Committee to hear Azerbaijani co-rapporteurs’ reports
- 19/08/2014 New press secretary appointed to U.S. embassy in Azerbaijan
- 18/08/2014 Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Hamid Karzai on Independence Day of Afghanistan
- 18/08/2014 Javad Heyat’s assistant: “The testament in the Iranian Embassy in Azerbaijan is old” - UPDATED
- 15/08/2014 Erdogan says he will pay his first foreign visit to Azerbaijan
- 13/08/2014 Ali Hasanov: ‘The Azerbaijani President raised the issue of returning the hostages from Kalbajar during the Sochi meeting’
- 13/08/2014 Turkish President’s Advisor: “Reports that Turkey will open the border with Armenia in September are groundless”
- 13/08/2014 British MP appeals to UK Minister for Europe about Azerbaijanis taken hostage by Armenian separatists
- 12/08/2014 Czech Republic recommends its citizens not to visit Nagorno-Karabakh and villages along Azerbaijan-Armenia border
- 11/08/2014 Azerbaijani President offers condolences to his Iranian counterpart
- 11/08/2014 Azerbaijan President Ilham Aliyev invites Erdogan to visit Azerbaijan
- 11/08/2014 Foreign Ministry calls Poland to avoid unwarrantedly intervening in Azerbaijan’s internal affairs
- 11/08/2014 Sergei Lavrov: ‘The Karabakh conflict will not prevent Armenia's accession to the Customs Union’
- 11/08/2014 Turkish Foreign Minister visits Azerbaijani soldiers wounded in battles with Armenians
- 11/08/2014 Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Recep Tayyip Erdogan on occasion of his victory in presidential election
- 10/08/2014 A joint meeting of the Presidents of Azerbaijan, Russia and Armenia was held in Sochi
- 09/08/2014 Azerbaijani and Russian Presidents meet in Sochi - UPDATED - PHOTOSESSION
- 09/08/2014 President Ilham Aliyev: “The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict lasted too long and needs to be resolved”
- 08/08/2014 Azerbaijani President pays working visit to Russia - PHOTO
- 08/08/2014 Azerbaijani President signs order on some measures on Azerbaijan hosting First European Games
- 08/08/2014 Kremlin disseminates information on Russian president’s meeting with Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents
- 07/08/2014 German MP: “Armenian occupation politics must be ended” - INTERVIEW
- 07/08/2014 President Ilham Aliyev received a delegation led by the Minister of Defence of Latvia
- 07/08/2014 Mahmoud Vaezi: “The Iranian President is pursuing a line of improving its relations with Azerbaijan and eliminating existing problems”
- 06/08/2014 Azerbaijani President, Supreme Commander-in-Chief of Armed Forces Ilham Aliyev visits frontline
- 05/08/2014 OSCE PA South Caucasus Representative urges fresh commitment from all sides to Nagorno-Karabakh resolution
- 05/08/2014 President Ilham Aliyev receives a delegation led by the Iranian Minister of Communications and Information Technology
- 05/08/2014 Azerbaijani Deputy Foreign Minister to visit NATO headquarters
- 05/08/2014 NATO is concerned about existing tension on contact line
- 05/08/2014 Ambassador: ‘NATO highly appreciates Azerbaijan’s support to ISAF operations’
- 04/08/2014 Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry responds to the statement by the EU on Leyla Yunus
- 04/08/2014 Novruz Mammadov: Armenian leadership has restarted using a propaganda machine to achieve its insidious intentions
- 04/08/2014 Lord Kilclooney: A full resumption of hostilities is now a real possibility, with unthinkable consequences for the region but also for Western interests
- 04/08/2014 Former Defense Minister Nebojsa Rodić nominated to post of Serbian Ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 03/08/2014 Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry: "International community should apply serious sanctions against Armenia"
- 02/08/2014 Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry spokesman criticizes co-chairs’ statement
- 02/08/2014 Deputy Head of Azerbaijani Presidential Administration comments on financial crisis in Argentine
- 02/08/2014 Azerbaijani FM responds to statement of US State Department on Leyla Yunus
- 01/08/2014 Georgian FM calls brawl in Neftchi-Chikhura match ‘sabotage’