The event, hosted by Slovakian MEP Katarína Neveďalová, attracted the attention of many Members of the European Parliament, senior politicians, EU officials and diplomats, APA reports quoting TEAS.
The exhibition showcased photographs of contemporary Azerbaijani people, culture, landscapes and architecture in the magnificent Yehudi Menuhin space. Previously presented in London, Paris and Berlin, these photographs were selected from around 750 submissions received from photographers based in Azerbaijan and across the world for a competition run by TEAS.
Katarína Neveďalová MEP remarked: “This is a wonderful exhibition about a beautiful country. I recently visited Azerbaijan and, when I saw the photos, asked why the exhibition has not been called The Colors of Azerbaijan. Just by walking in the streets, I immediately saw the colors of the country and people. Organization of this exhibition is an event of friendship and solidarity.
“Whilst I was in Baku, I spoke to Asim Talib, who photographed Old Men, the winning image, and he expressed pride that his picture would be shown in the European Parliament premises. Azerbaijan is a magnificent country. Although it is possibly insufficiently known across Europe, it is a modern and open nation. Azerbaijan through the Lens will definitely attract the attention of European policy-makers. One can say that this exhibition is now in its right place, in the very heart of Europe, building the necessary bridges between European and Azerbaijani culture. “
H.E. Fuad Isgandarov, Azerbaijani Ambassador to Belgium and Head of the Azerbaijani delegation to the European Union, said: “This cultural event demonstrates our common values. I am pleased to represent a country of many different colors, ethnicities and religions. I am proud of my country and the bridges that it creates between cultures. Enjoy the beautiful colors of Azerbaijan with us.”
Lionel Zetter, Director, TEAS, said: “Azerbaijan through the Lens is a unique project, not only with its ambition, but definitely with its result. This exhibition certainly captures Azerbaijan at its best, and presents this beautiful country on the Caspian shores to the public. These pictures show the sheer breadth of the culture and climate of Azerbaijan. However, the winning picture, Old Men, is most nostalgic. It was taken in Kelbajar in 1985, and could not be taken today, as this area is now under Armenian occupation.
“With this type of cultural initiative, TEAS aims to raise awareness of Azerbaijan and to foster closer economic, political and cultural links between the country and the nations of Europe.”
Roman Huna, Head, and TEAS Brussels, added: “Azerbaijan is a country that is worth placing in the spotlight. The open and tolerant character of Azerbaijani society, the beauty of its nature and the hospitality of its people make this country a perfect partner for the European Union. I’m proud that this prestigious photography exhibition will be showcased for a week in the European Parliament, and will attract a large number of admirers, thanks to the quality of the competition submissions.”
After the exhibition in the European Parliament, Azerbaijan through the Lens will be exhibited in the Tour & Taxis Business Centre, Brussels.
- 29/01/2015 Azerbaijan, Iran can use national currency in trade transactions – minister
- 29/01/2015 Azerbaijani, Turkmen, Turkish FMs adopt joint statement
- 29/01/2015 Next meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkish and Turkmen FMs to be held in Turkey
- 29/01/2015 Azerbaijani, Turkmen, Turkish FMs hold trilateral meeting in Ashgabat
- 29/01/2015 Mevlut Cavusoglu: We plan to hold summit of Turkish, Azerbaijani, Turkmen presidents
- 29/01/2015 Azerbaijani, Turkish FMs meet in Ashgabat
- 29/01/2015 PACE Monitoring Committee appoints new co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan
- 29/01/2015 Dan Burton: Azerbaijan, US have built strong partnership supported by shared values
- 29/01/2015 Elmar Mammadyarov leaves for Ashgabat to attend Azerbaijani, Turkmen and Turkish FM's meeting
- 28/01/2015 President Ilham Aliyev received a delegation led by the Minister of Economic Affairs and Finance of Iran
- 28/01/2015 Iran appoints new Consul General to Nakhchivan
- 28/01/2015 ECHR Grand Chamber holding hearing on Swiss govt’s appeal against judgment on Perinçek’s case - PHOTO
- 27/01/2015 Azerbaijani parliamentarian says Europe’s negligence toward Karabakh problem led to Ukrainian crisis
- 27/01/2015 French ambassador expresses gratitude to Azerbaijani leadership
- 27/01/2015 Azerbaijani FM departs to Poland
- 26/01/2015 Azerbaijani FM: “As a result of the irresponsible policy of the criminal-oligarchic dictatorship, Armenia became an isolated state”
- 26/01/2015 Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov met with Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign and European Affairs of the Slovak Republic
- 26/01/2015 CoE Committee of Ministers Chairman to visit Azerbaijan
- 26/01/2015 Turkey, Armenia should resolve problem through negotiations – PACE President
- 26/01/2015 Ambassador congratulates all Romanians in Azerbaijan on Union Day
- 26/01/2015 Azerbaijani FM leaves for Slovakia on official visit
- 24/01/2015 President Ilham Aliyev visits Saudi Arabian embassy in Azerbaijan
- 23/01/2015 President Ilham Aliyev met the CEO of Gaz de France Suez
- 23/01/2015 President Ilham Aliyev met Executive Chairman of the World Economic Forum Klaus Schwab
- 23/01/2015 President Ilham Aliyev: “Armenia carried out more than 30 terrorist attacks against Azerbaijan"
- 23/01/2015 PACE winter session agenda made public
- 23/01/2015 Azerbaijan blacklists RFE/RL employee
- 23/01/2015 Next trilateral meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkish and Turkmen FMs to be held on Jan. 29
- 23/01/2015 Ogtay Asadov, Allahshukur Pashazade and Fattah Heydarov to attend funeral of Saudi Arabia’s King
- 23/01/2015 French people managed to escape from plots – Ambassador
- 23/01/2015 Pascal Meunier: OSCE MG co-chair countries want resumption of dialogue
- 23/01/2015 President Ilham Aliyev meets Prince of Monaco
- 23/01/2015 Azerbaijani President meets Georgian Prime Minister in Davos
- 23/01/2015 Ambassador: France is going to become strategic partner for Azerbaijan
- 23/01/2015 Book of Condolences opens at Embassy of Saudi Arabia in Azerbaijan
- 23/01/2015 Azerbaijani President offer condolences on death of King of Saudi Arabia
- 23/01/2015 Azerbaijani President attends presentation of Baku 2015 first European Games in Davos - PHOTOSESSION
- 22/01/2015 President Ilham Aliyev met the BP Group Chief Executive - PHOTO
- 22/01/2015 President Ilham Aliyev: “Now Azerbaijan has become a donor country” - UPDATED
- 22/01/2015 Azerbaijani President meets George Soros in Davos