The event, hosted by Slovakian MEP Katarína Neveďalová, attracted the attention of many Members of the European Parliament, senior politicians, EU officials and diplomats, APA reports quoting TEAS.
The exhibition showcased photographs of contemporary Azerbaijani people, culture, landscapes and architecture in the magnificent Yehudi Menuhin space. Previously presented in London, Paris and Berlin, these photographs were selected from around 750 submissions received from photographers based in Azerbaijan and across the world for a competition run by TEAS.
Katarína Neveďalová MEP remarked: “This is a wonderful exhibition about a beautiful country. I recently visited Azerbaijan and, when I saw the photos, asked why the exhibition has not been called The Colors of Azerbaijan. Just by walking in the streets, I immediately saw the colors of the country and people. Organization of this exhibition is an event of friendship and solidarity.
“Whilst I was in Baku, I spoke to Asim Talib, who photographed Old Men, the winning image, and he expressed pride that his picture would be shown in the European Parliament premises. Azerbaijan is a magnificent country. Although it is possibly insufficiently known across Europe, it is a modern and open nation. Azerbaijan through the Lens will definitely attract the attention of European policy-makers. One can say that this exhibition is now in its right place, in the very heart of Europe, building the necessary bridges between European and Azerbaijani culture. “
H.E. Fuad Isgandarov, Azerbaijani Ambassador to Belgium and Head of the Azerbaijani delegation to the European Union, said: “This cultural event demonstrates our common values. I am pleased to represent a country of many different colors, ethnicities and religions. I am proud of my country and the bridges that it creates between cultures. Enjoy the beautiful colors of Azerbaijan with us.”
Lionel Zetter, Director, TEAS, said: “Azerbaijan through the Lens is a unique project, not only with its ambition, but definitely with its result. This exhibition certainly captures Azerbaijan at its best, and presents this beautiful country on the Caspian shores to the public. These pictures show the sheer breadth of the culture and climate of Azerbaijan. However, the winning picture, Old Men, is most nostalgic. It was taken in Kelbajar in 1985, and could not be taken today, as this area is now under Armenian occupation.
“With this type of cultural initiative, TEAS aims to raise awareness of Azerbaijan and to foster closer economic, political and cultural links between the country and the nations of Europe.”
Roman Huna, Head, and TEAS Brussels, added: “Azerbaijan is a country that is worth placing in the spotlight. The open and tolerant character of Azerbaijani society, the beauty of its nature and the hospitality of its people make this country a perfect partner for the European Union. I’m proud that this prestigious photography exhibition will be showcased for a week in the European Parliament, and will attract a large number of admirers, thanks to the quality of the competition submissions.”
After the exhibition in the European Parliament, Azerbaijan through the Lens will be exhibited in the Tour & Taxis Business Centre, Brussels.
- 29/06/2015 Samad Seyidov: For Council of Europe, issue of human rights has become instrument of political pressure
- 29/06/2015 Some Armenians having fun abroad, while others suffering home instead of them – Azerbaijani official
- 29/06/2015 Azerbaijan once again demonstrated to world its development in sport field – Kazakh ambassador
- 28/06/2015 President Ilham Aliyev meets with Bulgarian President visiting Azerbaijan to participate in closing ceremony of European Games
- 28/06/2015 Bulgarian president arrives in Azerbaijan
- 27/06/2015 President Ilham Aliyev receives Secretary General of Socialist International
- 27/06/2015 Russian Federal Council committee chairman: West’s such actions against Azerbaijan are unfair and unacceptable
- 27/06/2015 Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by president of European Olympic Committees
- 27/06/2015 Chairman of Liechtenstein parliament embarks on Azerbaijan visit
- 26/06/2015 State Duma chairman Sergey Naryshkin arrives in Azerbaijan
- 26/06/2015 AK Party names Ismet Yilmaz as speaker candidate
- 26/06/2015 Ukrainian embassy: Vladimir Aryev’s views on Azerbaijan are his personal position
- 26/06/2015 Samad Seyidov: We are seriously thinking about events occurred in PACE session
- 26/06/2015 Azerbaijani President confers “Dostlug” order on co-chair of Nizami Ganjavi International Centre Ismail Serageldin
- 26/06/2015 Members of Verkhovna Rada: We apologize to Azerbaijan
- 26/06/2015 Assistant to Azerbaijani President: "Ferguson and Baltimore events show that human rights situation is not good in the USA
- 26/06/2015 Indonesia’s National Commission on Human Rights welcomes ECHR’s judgment on case of Chiragov and others v. Armenia
- 26/06/2015 U.S. Department of State publicizes 2014 Human Rights Report
- 26/06/2015 Azerbaijani MFA: "Resolution adopted by PACE On June 23, is another example of groundless and preconceived approach against Azerbaijan"
- 25/06/2015 Azerbaijani President receives former Latvian President
- 25/06/2015 Mass protests in Armenia – rebellion against Sargsyan regime, says Azerbaijani president’s aide
- 25/06/2015 CoE position questions Azerbaijan’s future membership in this organization, official says
- 25/06/2015 Elkhan Suleymanov: Representatives of democracy and freedom house supported occupation and aggressor during PACE summer session
- 25/06/2015 Azerbaijan wants unbiased position from new co-rapporteur, says delegation head
- 25/06/2015 PACE appoints new co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan
- 25/06/2015 Novruz Mammadov: If even 1/10 of what has been happening in Yerevan occurred in Baku, those who “care” about us would go on talking about it for a month
- 24/06/2015 Azerbaijan newspaper: Germany today: a hegemon or a vassal?
- 24/06/2015 Council of Europe existence under big question – head of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE
- 24/06/2015 For CNN, the "biggest event" in Azerbaijan in recent years was to find Emin Huseynov and talked to him – top official
- 23/06/2015 PACE co-rapporteurs discuss the report on Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 23/06/2015 Politician: Freedom House almost blames Azerbaijan for happenings in aggressor Armenia today
- 23/06/2015 Fewest complaints to European Court of Human Rights sent from Azerbaijan
- 23/06/2015 Azerbaijani MP: Campaign to discredit Azerbaijan not conducted by German government but some circles there
- 23/06/2015 PACE Group of European People's Party holds discussions on Azerbaijan
- 23/06/2015 Systematic criticism from Europe, especially France against Azerbaijan will bring about irreparable consequences, French MPs say
- 22/06/2015 Azerbaijani President: “I’m sure that the Islamic Solidarity Games to be held in Baku will make all Muslim countries closer”
- 22/06/2015 President Ilham Aliyev: The Islamic solidarity should strengthen, Muslim countries more support one another
- 22/06/2015 President Ilham Aliyev receives ambassadors of Muslim countries to Azerbaijan on occasion of Ramadan month
- 22/06/2015 PACE creates subcommittee to form its observation mission’s staff for Azerbaijan’s parliamentary elections
- 22/06/2015 PACE to send observation mission for upcoming parliamentary elections in Azerbaijan