The event, hosted by Slovakian MEP Katarína Neveďalová, attracted the attention of many Members of the European Parliament, senior politicians, EU officials and diplomats, APA reports quoting TEAS.
The exhibition showcased photographs of contemporary Azerbaijani people, culture, landscapes and architecture in the magnificent Yehudi Menuhin space. Previously presented in London, Paris and Berlin, these photographs were selected from around 750 submissions received from photographers based in Azerbaijan and across the world for a competition run by TEAS.
Katarína Neveďalová MEP remarked: “This is a wonderful exhibition about a beautiful country. I recently visited Azerbaijan and, when I saw the photos, asked why the exhibition has not been called The Colors of Azerbaijan. Just by walking in the streets, I immediately saw the colors of the country and people. Organization of this exhibition is an event of friendship and solidarity.
“Whilst I was in Baku, I spoke to Asim Talib, who photographed Old Men, the winning image, and he expressed pride that his picture would be shown in the European Parliament premises. Azerbaijan is a magnificent country. Although it is possibly insufficiently known across Europe, it is a modern and open nation. Azerbaijan through the Lens will definitely attract the attention of European policy-makers. One can say that this exhibition is now in its right place, in the very heart of Europe, building the necessary bridges between European and Azerbaijani culture. “
H.E. Fuad Isgandarov, Azerbaijani Ambassador to Belgium and Head of the Azerbaijani delegation to the European Union, said: “This cultural event demonstrates our common values. I am pleased to represent a country of many different colors, ethnicities and religions. I am proud of my country and the bridges that it creates between cultures. Enjoy the beautiful colors of Azerbaijan with us.”
Lionel Zetter, Director, TEAS, said: “Azerbaijan through the Lens is a unique project, not only with its ambition, but definitely with its result. This exhibition certainly captures Azerbaijan at its best, and presents this beautiful country on the Caspian shores to the public. These pictures show the sheer breadth of the culture and climate of Azerbaijan. However, the winning picture, Old Men, is most nostalgic. It was taken in Kelbajar in 1985, and could not be taken today, as this area is now under Armenian occupation.
“With this type of cultural initiative, TEAS aims to raise awareness of Azerbaijan and to foster closer economic, political and cultural links between the country and the nations of Europe.”
Roman Huna, Head, and TEAS Brussels, added: “Azerbaijan is a country that is worth placing in the spotlight. The open and tolerant character of Azerbaijani society, the beauty of its nature and the hospitality of its people make this country a perfect partner for the European Union. I’m proud that this prestigious photography exhibition will be showcased for a week in the European Parliament, and will attract a large number of admirers, thanks to the quality of the competition submissions.”
After the exhibition in the European Parliament, Azerbaijan through the Lens will be exhibited in the Tour & Taxis Business Centre, Brussels.
- 25/07/2014 Family members of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev taken hostages by Armenians in Kalbajar address to Vladimir Putin - PHOTOSESSION
- 25/07/2014 Measures underway to prevent export of fake labeled products made in Nagorno-Karabakh to foreign countries
- 25/07/2014 Azerbaijani Embassy in Egypt to investigate whether or not Azerbaijanis are among victims of Algerian passenger plane crash
- 24/07/2014 Richard Morningstar: “The United States does not want in any way to create instability or unrest in Azerbaijan”
- 24/07/2014 U.S. Ambassador to Azerbaijan: “It was equally brave for Azerbaijan to commit to the Southern Gas Corridor, which will bring gas to Georgia, Turkey and on into Europe”
- 24/07/2014 Richard Morningstar: “We need to stand by Azerbaijan as it strives to maintain its sovereignty and independence”
- 24/07/2014 Azerbaijani Minister of Emergency Situations receives outgoing US Ambassador Richard Morningstar - PHOTO
- 24/07/2014 OSCE MG Co-Chairs urge Azerbaijan and Armenia to commit themselves to avoiding causalities on line of contact
- 23/07/2014 Azerbaijani President: If Karabakh problem is not settled justly, the regional situation will become more complicated
- 23/07/2014 Azerbaijani top official accuses Russian TV channel of serving insidious purposes
- 23/07/2014 Ambassador clarifies issue of whether Dilgam Asgarov taken hostage in Kalbajar is Russian citizen or not
- 23/07/2014 Iranian Ambassador to Azerbaijan calls international organizations not to remain indifferent to what is happening in Gaza Strip
- 23/07/2014 Minister of Foreign Affairs of Azerbaijan: "Stability and prosperity on the European continent are major preconditions for closer cooperation"
- 23/07/2014 Elmar Mammadyarov: “Goods produced in the Nagorno-Karabakh are sold by Armenia in the EU market under various fraudulent labels”
- 23/07/2014 Azerbaijani FM: Azerbaijan has proved to be a reliable strategic partner of EU in the field of energy
- 23/07/2014 Elmar Mammadyarov: “Azerbaijan is ready to coordinate its efforts with other international actors, especially with the European Union during the whole period of its chairmanship”.
- 23/07/2014 Elmar Mammadyarov: “Azerbaijan has been successful in strengthening cooperation with EU based on my country’s development agenda and priorities”
- 22/07/2014 Azerbaijan International Development Agency implements humanitarian action in Benin and Chad
- 22/07/2014 Premature accusations over plane crash in Donetsk to aggravate situation – Russian ambassador
- 22/07/2014 Russian ambassador says no reason to politicize and dramatize issue regarding Orkhan Zeynalov
- 22/07/2014 British ambassador congratulates Azerbaijani journalists
- 22/07/2014 Chairman of Committee of Ministers makes statement on Malaysia Airlines plane crash
- 21/07/2014 Djibouti strongly condemns Armenia`s aggression against Azerbaijan
- 21/07/2014 AIDA represented at international donor conference in Brussels
- 21/07/2014 Elmar Mammadyarov to attend Eastern Partnerhsip Foreign Ministers meeting
- 21/07/2014 President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Norm concrete plant - PHOTO
- 19/07/2014 Azerbaijani President congratulates King of Belgium
- 19/07/2014 Malaysian Chargé d'affaires to Azerbaijan: We want a detailed and objective investigation of plane crash - INTERVIEW
- 18/07/2014 Foreign Ministry calls on the UK authorities to refrain from irrelevant interference in the internal affairs of Azerbaijan
- 18/07/2014 11 Azerbaijani citizens evacuated from Gaza
- 18/07/2014 Malaysian embassy in Azerbaijan to open Memory Book of aircraft crash victims
- 18/07/2014 Azerbaijan - important partner of EU in field of energy, Lithuanian president says
- 18/07/2014 Azerbaijani President offers condolences to Dutch Prime Minister
- 18/07/2014 Azerbaijani President offers condolences to Malaysian Prime Minister
- 18/07/2014 Patterns of residence permit for foreign diplomats acting in Azerbaijan approved
- 17/07/2014 Baku comments on Carl Bildt’s statements regarding Azerbaijan
- 17/07/2014 Azerbaijan APPG member Bob Blackman supports Many Happy Returns campaign
- 17/07/2014 Ukraine, Georgia and Moldova to obtain non-NATO ally status
- 16/07/2014 US Embassy issues statement regarding $2.4m USAID grant for media development in Azerbaijan
- 16/07/2014 President Ilham Aliyev receives outgoing US ambassador