The event, hosted by Slovakian MEP Katarína Neveďalová, attracted the attention of many Members of the European Parliament, senior politicians, EU officials and diplomats, APA reports quoting TEAS.
The exhibition showcased photographs of contemporary Azerbaijani people, culture, landscapes and architecture in the magnificent Yehudi Menuhin space. Previously presented in London, Paris and Berlin, these photographs were selected from around 750 submissions received from photographers based in Azerbaijan and across the world for a competition run by TEAS.
Katarína Neveďalová MEP remarked: “This is a wonderful exhibition about a beautiful country. I recently visited Azerbaijan and, when I saw the photos, asked why the exhibition has not been called The Colors of Azerbaijan. Just by walking in the streets, I immediately saw the colors of the country and people. Organization of this exhibition is an event of friendship and solidarity.
“Whilst I was in Baku, I spoke to Asim Talib, who photographed Old Men, the winning image, and he expressed pride that his picture would be shown in the European Parliament premises. Azerbaijan is a magnificent country. Although it is possibly insufficiently known across Europe, it is a modern and open nation. Azerbaijan through the Lens will definitely attract the attention of European policy-makers. One can say that this exhibition is now in its right place, in the very heart of Europe, building the necessary bridges between European and Azerbaijani culture. “
H.E. Fuad Isgandarov, Azerbaijani Ambassador to Belgium and Head of the Azerbaijani delegation to the European Union, said: “This cultural event demonstrates our common values. I am pleased to represent a country of many different colors, ethnicities and religions. I am proud of my country and the bridges that it creates between cultures. Enjoy the beautiful colors of Azerbaijan with us.”
Lionel Zetter, Director, TEAS, said: “Azerbaijan through the Lens is a unique project, not only with its ambition, but definitely with its result. This exhibition certainly captures Azerbaijan at its best, and presents this beautiful country on the Caspian shores to the public. These pictures show the sheer breadth of the culture and climate of Azerbaijan. However, the winning picture, Old Men, is most nostalgic. It was taken in Kelbajar in 1985, and could not be taken today, as this area is now under Armenian occupation.
“With this type of cultural initiative, TEAS aims to raise awareness of Azerbaijan and to foster closer economic, political and cultural links between the country and the nations of Europe.”
Roman Huna, Head, and TEAS Brussels, added: “Azerbaijan is a country that is worth placing in the spotlight. The open and tolerant character of Azerbaijani society, the beauty of its nature and the hospitality of its people make this country a perfect partner for the European Union. I’m proud that this prestigious photography exhibition will be showcased for a week in the European Parliament, and will attract a large number of admirers, thanks to the quality of the competition submissions.”
After the exhibition in the European Parliament, Azerbaijan through the Lens will be exhibited in the Tour & Taxis Business Centre, Brussels.
- 26/02/2015 Russian Federal Council committee chairman: Azerbaijan our most important partner in Caucasus region
- 26/02/2015 Ambassador: "The Azerbaijan-Belarus Intergovernmental Commission will hold a meeting”
- 26/02/2015 Polad Bulbuloglu: Giving Hero City status to Baku would be important socio-political act
- 26/02/2015 We do not understand meaning of warm relations between Iran and Armenia – Azerbaijani Vice-speaker
- 26/02/2015 Khojaly Memorial and Museum Complex opened in Ankara - PHOTOSESSION
- 26/02/2015 Pennsylvania State adopts resolution on Khojaly genocide
- 25/02/2015 New US Ambassador to Azerbaijan Robert Cekuta visits Alley of Martyrs - PHOTOSESSION
- 25/02/2015 UN Security Council needs renewing – Turkish FM
- 25/02/2015 Mevlut Cavusoglu: “Today, Ukraine feels the effects of the “Cold war” between Russia and the West, tomorrow another country can feel it”
- 25/02/2015 Mevlut Cavusoglu: Our solidarity with Azerbaijan not aimed at harming anyone but sharing its benefits with everyone
- 25/02/2015 Polad Bulbuloglu conferred honorary title ‘Honored Art Worker’ of Republic of Dagestan
- 25/02/2015 Exhibition on Khojaly genocide opens at Turkish Parliament
- 25/02/2015 President Ilham Aliyev: Unity between Azerbaijan and Turkey was guarantor of stability in region
- 25/02/2015 Azerbaijani deputy FM: There should be strategic cooperation document between Azerbaijan and EU rather than association agreement
- 25/02/2015 Mahmud Mammadguliyev: We are mostly dissatisfied with countries’ proposals about Azerbaijan’s joining the WTO
- 25/02/2015 Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu: “We are trying for Turkmen gas to be included in TANAP”
- 25/02/2015 Mevlut Cavusoglu: We curse perpetuators of Khojaly massacre
- 25/02/2015 Elmar Mammadyarov: Tehran will host meeting of Iranian, Turkish and Azerbaijani FMs
- 25/02/2015 Mahmud Mammadguliyev: “It is time for developing legal documents to be based on the EU-Azerbaijan strategic partnership”
- 25/02/2015 We stand ready to discuss human rights issues with EU – Deputy Minister
- 25/02/2015 EU demonstrating selective approach to conflicts – Azerbaijani deputy FM
- 25/02/2015 Governor of U.S. State of Georgia sign statement on Khojaly massacre
- 24/02/2015 Azerbaijani President congratulates Emir of Kuwait
- 24/02/2015 Turkish FM to visit Khojaly monument in Baku together with Azerbaijani President
- 24/02/2015 Azerbaijani President receives EU Special Representative for Human Rights
- 24/02/2015 Turkish FM to arrive in Azerbaijan on official visit
- 24/02/2015 David Jalaganiya: So far, there is no progress in delimitation and demarcation of Georgian-Azerbaijani border
- 24/02/2015 U.S. New Mexico State Senate: Azerbaijan offers an exemplary model of tolerance
- 23/02/2015 Honorary council of Azerbaijan to the Philippines
- 23/02/2015 OSCE PA Special Representative for South Caucasus Joao Soares to visit Azerbaijan next month
- 23/02/2015 Chair of Mexican Senate's Foreign Relations Committee: "I share the grief of your people on the anniversary of the Khojaly tragedy"
- 23/02/2015 Several members of British Parliament’s House of Lords: Perpetuators of Khojaly genocide must surely be brought to justice
- 23/02/2015 Vice President of Colombian Senate sends letter to Azerbaijani President on Khojaly genocide anniversary
- 23/02/2015 EU Special Representative for Human Rights en route to Azerbaijan
- 20/02/2015 Azerbaijan, Germany hold political consultations
- 20/02/2015 Romanian Embassy in Baku regarding organizes workshop regarding NATO-Azerbaijan partnership
- 20/02/2015 Ambassador: West does not provide sufficient support for Ukraine
- 19/02/2015 Azerbaijani FM, Georgian PM meet in Tbilisi
- 19/02/2015 Elmar Mammadyarov meets Georgian President - PHOTO
- 19/02/2015 In case of policy change, Armenia may join regional projects – Azerbaijani FM