"All G8 members are self-sufficient states and their leaders are self-sufficient politicians on the global stage. They have their own views on current problems, not only in Syria, but in other regions as well," he said.
The Russian president also said it was not right to pit Moscow against Washington on all global affairs, possibly in response to recent remarks by Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper that the G8 actually was a Seven Plus One group on Syria since Russia was the only country backing Bashar al-Assad's government.
Putin also said the opposition in Syria has been receiving arms from abroad for a long time.
"We are not going to discuss the origin of these weapons, but it is clear that, without arms shipments, the situation in Syria would not have been what it is now," he said.
Putin also said the new international conference on Syria should be held as soon as possible.
"We expressed our concern and confirmed our commitment to ceasing violence, creating conditions for resuming the political dialogue between the warring parties and convincing them to start talks as soon as possible," the president said.
- 02/10/2014 At least 10 killed in shelling of school and mini-van in Ukraine
- 01/10/2014 Russia won't allow replay of Ukrainian scenario on Transdniestria’s borders — Rogozin
- 01/10/2014 Ukraine-Russia-EU gas talks postponed till next week
- 30/09/2014 Representatives of “parliamentary four” call on citizens protesting against new Law on Tax to gather outside parliament building
- 30/09/2014 Iran, Russia presidents review bilateral cooperation
- 29/09/2014 There are two groups in UN Security Council – Russian ambassador to UN
- 28/09/2014 Seven dead in central China landslide
- 27/09/2014 Russian State Duma cuts foreign ownership in Russian media to 20%
- 27/09/2014 Lavrov met ICRC president on UN General Assembly sidelines
- 27/09/2014 Russia, Ukraine reach interim deal on gas dispute
- 26/09/2014 CIS leaders to discuss threats of Islamic State
- 25/09/2014 Armenian citizens who robbed 18 mln rubles from bank in Russia detained
- 25/09/2014 Ukraine's prime minister urges West not to lift sanctions on Russia
- 24/09/2014 US did not tell Russia about planned strikes against militants in Syria
- 23/09/2014 Moscow comments on US airstrikes on IS militants in Syria
- 23/09/2014 Tymoshenko: Putin has three goals now
- 23/09/2014 Vladimir Putin and Ban Ki-moon have telephone conversation
- 23/09/2014 Air strikes on Islamic State bases in Syria inadmissible without Damascus consent - Putin
- 23/09/2014 Ukraine seeks to partially replace gas with heating oil
- 23/09/2014 Compliance with Minsk agreement critical for peace in Donbass — Poroshenko, Merkel
- 23/09/2014 Three contract servicemen die during maneuvers on Sakhalin Island
- 22/09/2014 Russia's Putin looking at cooperation to fight Islamic State: agency
- 22/09/2014 Russia wants economically stable Ukraine: Putin
- 22/09/2014 40 life prisoners go on hunger strike in Armenia
- 22/09/2014 Iran’s President to visit Armenia
- 22/09/2014 Astrakhan to host 4th Caspian Summit
- 22/09/2014 Russia makes proposals during talks between P5+1 group and Tehran
- 21/09/2014 Several injured, as bus with 34 children skids off road in north-western Russia
- 21/09/2014 Medvedev: Europe will pay for sanctions against Russia
- 20/09/2014 Contact Group on Ukraine coordinates roadmap for implementing September 5 peace protocol
- 19/09/2014 Russia prepares to appeal to WTO to argue Western sanctions — Medvedev
- 19/09/2014 Russia won’t seek ‘invitation’ to coalition fighting IS – official
- 18/09/2014 Three civilians killed in eastern Ukraine
- 18/09/2014 Lavrov: No one will allow Ukraine to give up its nuclear-free status
- 18/09/2014 Ukraine PM tells army to be on full battle alert despite ceasefire
- 18/09/2014 Africa conflicts must be settled under the auspices of African Union - Lavrov
- 18/09/2014 Russia is not completely confident Iran, P5+1 can work out agreement by November 24
- 17/09/2014 Tycoon's arrest sends shock wave through Russia
- 17/09/2014 Russia, Egypt seal preliminary arms deal worth $3.5 billion
- 17/09/2014 Adviser to Ukrainian President: Fight against armed groups to continue in Donbass