"All G8 members are self-sufficient states and their leaders are self-sufficient politicians on the global stage. They have their own views on current problems, not only in Syria, but in other regions as well," he said.
The Russian president also said it was not right to pit Moscow against Washington on all global affairs, possibly in response to recent remarks by Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper that the G8 actually was a Seven Plus One group on Syria since Russia was the only country backing Bashar al-Assad's government.
Putin also said the opposition in Syria has been receiving arms from abroad for a long time.
"We are not going to discuss the origin of these weapons, but it is clear that, without arms shipments, the situation in Syria would not have been what it is now," he said.
Putin also said the new international conference on Syria should be held as soon as possible.
"We expressed our concern and confirmed our commitment to ceasing violence, creating conditions for resuming the political dialogue between the warring parties and convincing them to start talks as soon as possible," the president said.
- 30/06/2015 Russia regards French president's idea of curtailing right of veto at UN Security Council as harmful - deputy FM
- 30/06/2015 Gazprom and Transneft included into extended sanction list — Canada’s Foreign Ministry
- 29/06/2015 18 injured after passenger bus crashes in Russia
- 29/06/2015 Protests in Armenia - call of population who are fed up with corrupt regime: Russian political analyst
- 29/06/2015 Putin: Nations must unite to fight IS militants
- 29/06/2015 Media: “Electric Networks of Armenia” can be sold
- 29/06/2015 Public figures forms "human shield" between protesters and police in Yerevan
- 28/06/2015 Protestors urge Yerevan Deputy Chief of Police to refrain from hindering protest
- 27/06/2015 Armenian activists do not accept president's offer
- 27/06/2015 Iran should finally reject nuclear weapons programme - French foreign minister
- 26/06/2015 Dmitry Peskov: Russian, US Presidents don’t see alternative to dialogue
- 26/06/2015 Russian Ex-Foreign Minister Yevgeny Primakov dies
- 26/06/2015 UN urges Armenian authorities to ensure protesters rights in Yerevan
- 26/06/2015 Poroshenko signed a law allowing the presence of foreign armed forces in the country
- 26/06/2015 Armenia protesters put forward three demands to government
- 26/06/2015 US Department of State: Corruption and the opacity of authorities - the main problems of Armenia
- 25/06/2015 Protest rally against rise in energy tariffs continues in Yerevan despite rain
- 25/06/2015 Russian extends counter-sanctions against EU countries, USA, Canada, Australia and Norway
- 25/06/2015 Russia has no aggressive plans, but army’s consistent development will continue — Putin
- 24/06/2015 Armenia’s unrest bears signs of ‘colorful revolution’
- 24/06/2015 Armenian government not to reduce energy tariffs despite protests
- 24/06/2015 Deputy chief of Armenian police: White arms found in demonstrators’ possession
- 24/06/2015 The US and Britain are concerned about the use of force at a rally in Yerevan
- 24/06/2015 Armenian protesters refuse to meet president, continue ‘Electric Yerevan’ sit-in
- 24/06/2015 Russia says will not initiate ‘reset’ of relations with US
- 23/06/2015 Armenia activists moving toward president's residence
- 23/06/2015 AP: Protest against electricity price hike is the most serious unrest Armenia has seen in years
- 23/06/2015 Opposition MPs leave session of Armenian parliament
- 23/06/2015 Viktor Yanukovych: I didn’t order security forces to open fire
- 23/06/2015 Armenian police used force against protesters - UPDATED-1
- 23/06/2015 Armenian police threatens to use force against protesters
- 22/06/2015 Kremlin vows response to 'illegal' extension of EU sanctions on Russia
- 22/06/2015 Russia to build new series of 6 patrol ships by 2020 - Russian Navy commander
- 21/06/2015 Sergei Ivanov: Russia-US relations unlikely to improve until Ukrainian crisis is solved
- 20/06/2015 Protests over electricity price hike staged in Armenia
- 20/06/2015 Hearing of main sponsor of separatist regime in Nagorno Karabakh Levon Hayrapetyan to start
- 20/06/2015 Putin may attend U.N. General Assembly 70th session in September
- 19/06/2015 Putin: Russia Rules Out Hegemony, Seeks Int'l Relations Based on Equality
- 19/06/2015 Putin: Russia ready to cooperate with West
- 19/06/2015 No need for early presidential elections in Russia – State Duma speaker