"All G8 members are self-sufficient states and their leaders are self-sufficient politicians on the global stage. They have their own views on current problems, not only in Syria, but in other regions as well," he said.
The Russian president also said it was not right to pit Moscow against Washington on all global affairs, possibly in response to recent remarks by Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper that the G8 actually was a Seven Plus One group on Syria since Russia was the only country backing Bashar al-Assad's government.
Putin also said the opposition in Syria has been receiving arms from abroad for a long time.
"We are not going to discuss the origin of these weapons, but it is clear that, without arms shipments, the situation in Syria would not have been what it is now," he said.
Putin also said the new international conference on Syria should be held as soon as possible.
"We expressed our concern and confirmed our commitment to ceasing violence, creating conditions for resuming the political dialogue between the warring parties and convincing them to start talks as soon as possible," the president said.
- 24/11/2014 Ukraine's Naftogaz to buy 1 billion cubic meters of Russian gas
- 24/11/2014 Minister: “Russia is losing $40 bln per year from western sanctions”
- 24/11/2014 Azerbaijani gang detained in Moscow
- 24/11/2014 Some 40 states plan to create free trade zone with Eurasian Economic Union – State Duma speaker
- 23/11/2014 Tanker truck burning in accident on Moscow’s ring road
- 23/11/2014 Russia may develop hypersonic weapons before end of this decade
- 22/11/2014 U.S. provides counter-mortar radar systems to Ukraine
- 22/11/2014 Head of Ukraine's Security Service proposes to ban Communist Party
- 21/11/2014 Five Ukrainian parties agree to form parliamentary coalition
- 21/11/2014 Ukraine accuses Russia of cross-border shelling
- 21/11/2014 Ashgabat hosting CIS Heads of Government Council meeting
- 21/11/2014 Five Ukrainian parties agree on position, sign coalition agreement
- 20/11/2014 Obama should have gotten 'Nobel War Prize' — Russian MP
- 20/11/2014 Lavrov: “World community should give rebuff to Islamic State, other extremist groups”
- 20/11/2014 Former PM of Kazakhstan under house arrest
- 19/11/2014 Fresh violence in eastern Ukraine leaves 5 dead
- 19/11/2014 Putin backs deeper ties with North Korea after meeting Kim envoy
- 19/11/2014 Ukrainian PM rules out direct talks with rebels
- 19/11/2014 Russia blasts Ukraine for payment freeze
- 19/11/2014 Russia to allocate $270m to Armenia for repair of Metsamor nuclear power plant
- 19/11/2014 Russia needs guarantees Ukraine will not join NATO – Peskov
- 19/11/2014 Opposition to hold large-scale rally in Yerevan on December 10
- 19/11/2014 Russia’s active ties with Asia not alternative to relations with West – Lavrov
- 19/11/2014 Russia, Germany need constant dialogue on Ukraine — Russia FM
- 18/11/2014 US wishes to subdue Russia, but no one will ever manage this — Putin
- 18/11/2014 Minsk, Moscow should adequately react to EU sanctions — Belarusian FM
- 18/11/2014 Isolated at G20, Putin shows he will do it his way in Ukraine
- 17/11/2014 Ukraine independent, free, sovereign state – Putin
- 16/11/2014 Police detain man with WWII mortar dummies in Moscow metro
- 16/11/2014 Russia defence ministry to airlift field hospital to Ebola-hit Guinea
- 15/11/2014 Sanctions against Russian banks to have negative impact on Germany - Putin
- 15/11/2014 Heavy casualties reported in eastern Ukraine fighting
- 15/11/2014 Ukraine plans to buy 2.5 billion cubic meters of natural gas from Russia under "winter deal"
- 15/11/2014 Putin sees G20 as beneficial format for cooperation
- 15/11/2014 Ukraine's PM says main task is to build army to stop Russia
- 14/11/2014 Russia accuses OSCE mission in Ukraine of presenting biased pictures
- 14/11/2014 CIS Executive Secretary: Ukraine's quitting CIS will primarily hit itself
- 14/11/2014 Iran, Russia to have long-term cooperation on nuclear power plants
- 13/11/2014 Dmitry Medvedev: Washington should take first step to improve Russia-US relations
- 13/11/2014 Russian bomber patrols to reach Gulf of Mexico