"All G8 members are self-sufficient states and their leaders are self-sufficient politicians on the global stage. They have their own views on current problems, not only in Syria, but in other regions as well," he said.
The Russian president also said it was not right to pit Moscow against Washington on all global affairs, possibly in response to recent remarks by Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper that the G8 actually was a Seven Plus One group on Syria since Russia was the only country backing Bashar al-Assad's government.
Putin also said the opposition in Syria has been receiving arms from abroad for a long time.
"We are not going to discuss the origin of these weapons, but it is clear that, without arms shipments, the situation in Syria would not have been what it is now," he said.
Putin also said the new international conference on Syria should be held as soon as possible.
"We expressed our concern and confirmed our commitment to ceasing violence, creating conditions for resuming the political dialogue between the warring parties and convincing them to start talks as soon as possible," the president said.
- 20/12/2014 Russian ruble fluctuates but holds its ground
- 19/12/2014 Russia not to leave Washington’s hostile actions without response —FM
- 19/12/2014 Belarus suffering huge losses amid plummeting Russian ruble — Lukashenko
- 19/12/2014 Ukrainian president announces major police reform
- 19/12/2014 Federation of Migrants: Labor migrants leaving Russia en masse
- 19/12/2014 Protest starts against devaluation of national currency and prices rise in Armenia
- 19/12/2014 Lavrov: Ukraine Freedom Act to undermine US-Russia relations for long time
- 19/12/2014 France’s Hollande wants to hold talks on Ukraine conflict with Putin, Poroshenko
- 19/12/2014 Russian Central Bank may limit currency exchange spreads for banks
- 19/12/2014 Ukraine’s Ukrtransgaz, Poland’s Gaz-System S.A. sign cooperation agreement
- 19/12/2014 Belarus president demands to trade with Russia in dollars, euros
- 18/12/2014 Poroshenko submits to parliament bill revoking Ukraine’s non-bloc status
- 18/12/2014 Ruble continues to slide after modest recovery
- 18/12/2014 George Soros may be appointed head of National Bank of Ukraine
- 18/12/2014 Without Turkey some regional issues cannot be resolved – Russian president
- 18/12/2014 Food prices rapidly rising in Armenia
- 18/12/2014 Kadirov has no right to speak this way – Putin
- 18/12/2014 Putin: There can not be a palace coup in Russia, because there are no palaces
- 18/12/2014 Dollar, euro rates rise again during Putin’s speech
- 18/12/2014 Turkey’s economy developing, new resources needed – Russian president
- 18/12/2014 Putin: Our economic troubles is punishment for our natural desire to preserve ourselves as a nation, as a civilization, as a state
- 18/12/2014 Putin: Russian economy affected by external factors
- 18/12/2014 Lukashenko proposes to pay for Russian expenses in dollars or euros
- 18/12/2014 Exchange rate of USD falls to RR 58.5 in Moscow’s bourse
- 18/12/2014 Parliament of Kazakhstan ratifies treaty on Armenia's accession to EEU
- 18/12/2014 Belarus tightens control over online media
- 18/12/2014 Ukraine leader wants to join "Euro-Atlantic" security alliance
- 17/12/2014 Poroshenko says will present to parliament bill renouncing non-aligned status
- 17/12/2014 Armenia minibus drivers announce strike - PHOTOSESSION
- 17/12/2014 Dmitry Medvedev acknowledges negative impact of Western sanctions and oil prices fall on Russian economy
- 17/12/2014 Putin in talks by phone with Merkel, Hollande, Poroshenko discusses Ukraine crisis
- 17/12/2014 Poroshenko: conflict in eastern Ukraine can be settled only on basis of Minsk agreements
- 17/12/2014 Russia to take measures to stabilize currency market
- 16/12/2014 Poroshenko best chance for Ukraine at present — Lavrov
- 16/12/2014 Russia political analyst: West will not go to a ‘third world war’
- 16/12/2014 Alexander Lukashenko: Russian market collapsed, we must expand into new markets
- 16/12/2014 Oleksandr Turchynov becomes secretary of Ukraine's NSDC
- 16/12/2014 EU foreign policy chief may visit Moscow in first months of 2015
- 16/12/2014 Russian banks start National Payment Card System tests
- 16/12/2014 Russia, North Korea plan to sign agreement on military activity prevention