"All G8 members are self-sufficient states and their leaders are self-sufficient politicians on the global stage. They have their own views on current problems, not only in Syria, but in other regions as well," he said.
The Russian president also said it was not right to pit Moscow against Washington on all global affairs, possibly in response to recent remarks by Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper that the G8 actually was a Seven Plus One group on Syria since Russia was the only country backing Bashar al-Assad's government.
Putin also said the opposition in Syria has been receiving arms from abroad for a long time.
"We are not going to discuss the origin of these weapons, but it is clear that, without arms shipments, the situation in Syria would not have been what it is now," he said.
Putin also said the new international conference on Syria should be held as soon as possible.
"We expressed our concern and confirmed our commitment to ceasing violence, creating conditions for resuming the political dialogue between the warring parties and convincing them to start talks as soon as possible," the president said.
- 06/03/2015 During Israel visit, Armenian FM received by president, no other officials
- 06/03/2015 Armenia should participate in Baku 2015 European Games – Sports Minister
- 06/03/2015 Ukrainian lawyer to lead CoE anti-torture Committee
- 06/03/2015 No military solution to Ukraine crisis: Mogherini
- 05/03/2015 EU extends sanctions against Ukraine’s ex-president Yanukovych, his circle
- 05/03/2015 Russia: Nadezhda Savchenko agrees to partially stop hunger-strike
- 05/03/2015 Lukashevich: US-NATO joint drills in Black Sea may entail grave consequences
- 05/03/2015 US airborne personnel arrive in Ukraine – Russian MFA
- 05/03/2015 Russian military base in Armenia involved in large-scale exercises
- 05/03/2015 Russian serviceman who killed 7 members of Armenian family to undergo forensic psychiatric examination
- 05/03/2015 Ukraine mourning for coal mine blast victims
- 04/03/2015 Ukraine mine blast 'kills 32'
- 04/03/2015 Putin calls Boris Nemtsov’s death ‘shameful tragedy’
- 04/03/2015 Unverified info on Nemtsov murder probe hinders investigation — Investigative Committee
- 03/03/2015 EU, Russia agreed to resume trilateral negotiations on EU-Ukraine association agreement
- 03/03/2015 Russia and Belarus close to creating common innovational space
- 03/03/2015 Boris Nemtsov buried
- 03/03/2015 Mourners pay last respects to Russian politician Boris Nemtsov - PHOTOSESSION
- 03/03/2015 Nemtsov to be buried in Moscow
- 03/03/2015 Ukraine death toll tops 6,000 amid fighting: UN
- 02/03/2015 Ukrainian soldier killed in clashes amid shaky truce
- 02/03/2015 Lavrov notes progress in talks on Iran nuclear program
- 02/03/2015 Uzbek TV host murdered
- 02/03/2015 Ukrainian model Anna Duritskaya reveals details of Boris Nemtsov’s death
- 02/03/2015 Ter-Petrosyan: Pan-Armenian declaration on genocide will bring about grave consequences for Armenia
- 02/03/2015 Some of cameras in area, where Nemtsov was killed, turned off before incident
- 01/03/2015 TVC published video since the murder of Nemtsov - VİDEO
- 01/03/2015 Pakistan arrests Iranian Sunni rebel leader on bus from border
- 28/02/2015 Putin pledges to make every effort to bring Nemtsov's killers to justice
- 28/02/2015 Russia’s Investigative Committee announces main versions regarding Boris Nemtsov’s murder
- 28/02/2015 Ex-deputy of the Party of Regions Mikhail Chechetov commits suicide
- 28/02/2015 Russian President’s spokesman: “Boris Nemtsov’s murder is provocation”
- 28/02/2015 Ukrainian pilot Nadezhda Savchenko reportedly dies
- 28/02/2015 Ukraine leader says troop deaths 'serious breach' of truce
- 28/02/2015 Russian politician Boris Nemtsov killed in Moscow - UPDATED - PHOTO
- 28/02/2015 Ukraine says gas dispute with Russia not to harm transit to Europe
- 27/02/2015 Barbiturate detected in blood of Kazakh president’s former son-in-law
- 27/02/2015 Sergei Lavrov: Washington fails 'to slap together' global anti-Russian coalition
- 27/02/2015 Kazakhstan's border guards detain 4 Azerbaijani citizens engaged in illegal fishing in Caspian Sea
- 26/02/2015 Ukraine begins pulling back heavy weaponry from contact line