"All G8 members are self-sufficient states and their leaders are self-sufficient politicians on the global stage. They have their own views on current problems, not only in Syria, but in other regions as well," he said.
The Russian president also said it was not right to pit Moscow against Washington on all global affairs, possibly in response to recent remarks by Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper that the G8 actually was a Seven Plus One group on Syria since Russia was the only country backing Bashar al-Assad's government.
Putin also said the opposition in Syria has been receiving arms from abroad for a long time.
"We are not going to discuss the origin of these weapons, but it is clear that, without arms shipments, the situation in Syria would not have been what it is now," he said.
Putin also said the new international conference on Syria should be held as soon as possible.
"We expressed our concern and confirmed our commitment to ceasing violence, creating conditions for resuming the political dialogue between the warring parties and convincing them to start talks as soon as possible," the president said.
- 08/03/2014 Ukraine standoff intensifies; Russia says sanctions will 'boomerang'
- 08/03/2014 Heavier sanctions on Russia could backfire
- 08/03/2014 Senior U.N. official plans to visit Ukraine's Crimea
- 08/03/2014 Crimea Ignores President's Order to Stop Secession Vote
- 07/03/2014 Putin rebuffs Obama as Ukraine crisis escalates
- 07/03/2014 Arseniy Yatsenyuk: “The political part of the association agreement with the European Union will be signed in the coming weeks”
- 07/03/2014 Obama calls Putin, proposes solution to Ukraine dispute
- 07/03/2014 Putin and Obama discuss situation in Ukraine by telephone
- 07/03/2014 Sevastopol decides to join the Russian Federation
- 06/03/2014 Ukraine’s prosecutors initiate criminal proceedings against Yanukovych
- 06/03/2014 Yatsenyuk: Ukraine not considering joining NATO
- 06/03/2014 Alexander Turchinov: “Illegal Crimean authorities work under the barrel of a gun”
- 06/03/2014 State Duma to consider Crimea annexation bill next week
- 06/03/2014 Russian Parliament committee chairman: “The main target of the coup in Ukraine is to make the country a NATO member”
- 06/03/2014 Crimea’s parliament votes to become part of Russia
- 06/03/2014 Russian Foreign Ministry: Ukraine can not join NATO
- 06/03/2014 Crimea to Set Up Own Law Enforcement and Security Services
- 06/03/2014 UN Chief to Send Another Envoy to East Ukraine
- 06/03/2014 Ukrainian Navy Flagship Diverted Away from Crimea
- 06/03/2014 Crisis in Ukraine Should Not Damage Trade With Russia – Putin
- 06/03/2014 Tensions may harm tourism in Crimea: Ukrainian PM
- 05/03/2014 Yulia Tymoshenko: "The Russian Black Sea Fleet should be withdrawn from Ukraine"
- 05/03/2014 Five Russian regions to hold rallies to support Ukraine
- 05/03/2014 Kerry: US proposes Russia start talks with new Ukrainian authorities
- 05/03/2014 Presidential elections to cost Ukraine $215 million
- 04/03/2014 Kerry lands in Kiev amid escalating war of words between US, Russia
- 04/03/2014 Putin, Erdogan confident that peace will be ensured in Crimea
- 04/03/2014 Russian official says Moscow explained detriments of sanctions to Washington
- 04/03/2014 Russian Defense Ministry takes notice of Pentagon’s decision to suspend military contacts
- 04/03/2014 Crimea to Get Its Own Defense Ministry
- 04/03/2014 Ukraine reinforces checkpoints on border with Russia
- 04/03/2014 Vladimir Putin: “We are not going to fight a war with the Ukrainian people”
- 04/03/2014 Putin: “For the time being there is no need to deploy troops in Crimea, but there is such an opportunity”
- 04/03/2014 Situation in Ukraine hits Poland's economy: central bank head
- 03/03/2014 Source: Sevastopol residents are not going to storm the Ukrainian Navy headquarters
- 03/03/2014 EU FMs may consider freezing visa dialogue with Russia over Ukrainian crisis
- 03/03/2014 St. Petersburg ready to provide employment to the former members of Berkut
- 03/03/2014 The Russian Black Sea Fleet no plans to launch an assault on Ukrainian military units in Crimea
- 03/03/2014 Russia gives Ukraine ultimatum: surrender Crimea bases or face military assault
- 03/03/2014 PACE Culture Committee cancels trip to Moscow over Ukraine crisis