"All G8 members are self-sufficient states and their leaders are self-sufficient politicians on the global stage. They have their own views on current problems, not only in Syria, but in other regions as well," he said.
The Russian president also said it was not right to pit Moscow against Washington on all global affairs, possibly in response to recent remarks by Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper that the G8 actually was a Seven Plus One group on Syria since Russia was the only country backing Bashar al-Assad's government.
Putin also said the opposition in Syria has been receiving arms from abroad for a long time.
"We are not going to discuss the origin of these weapons, but it is clear that, without arms shipments, the situation in Syria would not have been what it is now," he said.
Putin also said the new international conference on Syria should be held as soon as possible.
"We expressed our concern and confirmed our commitment to ceasing violence, creating conditions for resuming the political dialogue between the warring parties and convincing them to start talks as soon as possible," the president said.
- 29/07/2015 CIS Anti-Terrorist Center puts forward a number of initiatives to combat against IS
- 28/07/2015 Russia ready to sign agreement on 1st line of Turkish Stream within 1-2 weeks — minister
- 28/07/2015 “Stand up, Armenia” movement calls on citizens to join protest in center of Yerevan
- 28/07/2015 Leaders of Islamic world invited to mosque’s opening in Moscow
- 28/07/2015 Kazakhstan formally becomes new WTO member
- 27/07/2015 Mass protests continue in Armenia
- 25/07/2015 Yerevan botanical garden on fire
- 25/07/2015 Moscow: Tokyo’s reaction to Russian leaders’ plans to visit Kuril Islands incites tensions
- 24/07/2015 Armenia concerned over Russian offensive arms supplies to Azerbaijan – deputy defense minister
- 24/07/2015 IS militants planned series of terrorist attacks in Tajikistan in month of Ramadan – Interior Ministry
- 22/07/2015 Number of Azerbaijani migrants in Russia announced
- 22/07/2015 Armenian president’s spokesman attempts to recruit opposition party member journalist
- 22/07/2015 Death toll in Chechnya minibus crash climbs to 11
- 21/07/2015 Kyrgyzstan denounces 1993 cooperation agreement with US
- 21/07/2015 Tajikistan floods kill seven
- 20/07/2015 Six states willing to be aware of arbitration on Russia’s claim to EU
- 20/07/2015 President of the European Council visits so-called Armenian genocide monument in Yerevan
- 20/07/2015 Former Kyrgyz MP arrested for aiding IS militants
- 19/07/2015 US intelligence agencies followed Putin to 90th, - The Times
- 18/07/2015 Russian foreign ministry refutes whatever deals with U.S. for success of Iranian N talks
- 18/07/2015 U.S. threatens Russia
- 17/07/2015 Russian businessman Sterligov, illegally visited Nagorno Karabakh, charged with defamation
- 17/07/2015 Ukraine declares Russian diplomat persona non grata
- 16/07/2015 Lavrov: Iran’s deal expected to reduce regional tensions
- 15/07/2015 Chief of Omsk-based airborne training center arrested over barrack collapse incident
- 15/07/2015 Two Russian planes evacuate people wishing to leave war-torn Yemen
- 15/07/2015 8 killed, 18 wounded in renewed violence in eastern Ukraine
- 15/07/2015 “Stand up, Armenia” movement: Unless decision to increase electricity prices is canceled, we will continue our struggle
- 15/07/2015 Putin’s special representative: Moscow really wanted Baku to become SCO dialogue partner
- 15/07/2015 Minsk commends agreements on Iranian nuclear program — Belarusian foreign ministry
- 14/07/2015 Protestors block one of central streets in Yerevan
- 14/07/2015 Russian military jet crash leaves two pilots dead - UPDATED
- 14/07/2015 Lavrov comments on final deal between Iran and P5+1
- 14/07/2015 Putin welcomes Iranian nuclear deal
- 14/07/2015 Explosions in Lviv qualified as terrorist attacks – Interior Ministry
- 14/07/2015 Three killed in clash between police and militants in Russia
- 13/07/2015 Death toll in Russia's barrack collapse tragedy reaches 23
- 12/07/2015 Mukachevo events qualified as act of terror - prosecutors
- 12/07/2015 Child injured in paraglide rough landing in Yaroslavl
- 11/07/2015 Lavrov discusses Iran talks with Kerry by phone