Baku hosts roundtable on “Reforms on human rights: Prospects of legislation on defamation” - PHOTO
Baku. Ramil Mammadli – APA. Azerbaijan Lawyers Confederation (ALC), U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), Council of State Support to NGOs under the President of Azerbaijan and American Bar Association have held a roundtable on “Reforms on human rights: Prospects of legislation on defamation”.
APA reports that chief of socio-political department of the Presidential Administration Ali Hasanov delivered a speech on the development of the law “On defamation”, its importance and international organizations’ position on this issue. Then he revealed the government's position on the law and its implementation.
Director of Office of Democracy and Governance at USAID Azerbaijan Ronald Glass, Chairman of Azerbaijan Lawyers Confederation, MP Ali Huseynli, Chairman of Azerbaijan's Press Council Aflatun Amashov, Head of Baku Office of American Bar Association Robert Steer, Head of OSCE Office in Baku Koray Targay and others made speeches at the event.
Koray Targay said that freedom of media and expression are key principles of the OSCE: “This issue has been discussed in Azerbaijan for years. I consider that the Azerbaijani Parliament should hold serious discussions in this regard. I hope that the work on the issue will start soon. Azerbaijani media has not professionalized yet. Our main goal is to ensure freedom of speech and expression in the media basing on the principles of the OSCE."
Discussions were held on strengthening constructive social dialogue platform between government agencies dealing with human rights provision and civil society organizations.
- 05.10.2015Mirshahin Aghayev: We will file lawsuit against NTRC for its decision
- 05.10.2015ANS TV channel fined AZN 54,000
- 02.10.2015Ali Hasanov: President Ilham Aliyev takes all steps for formation of free and pluralistic society
- 02.10.2015NTRC chairman: Limit of compromise for TV channel already expired
- 25.09.201513 Turkish pilgrims still missing after Mecca stampede - UPDATED
- 24.09.2015Azerbaijan’s well-known announcer Davud Ahmadov died - VİDEO
- 23.09.2015AzTV deputy chairman dismissed
- 22.09.2015PACE pre-election mission meets with heads of several Azerbaijani media agencies
- 08.09.2015New TV channel and radio created in Azerbaijan
- 19.08.2015Defense Ministry to accredit reporters to be sent to areas along front line based on MNS’s reference
- 19.08.2015Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijan ready to share all experience to create International Turkic News Channel
- 10.08.2015Aflatun Amashov: Those who are guilty of Rasim Aliyev’s murder will be punished
- 09.08.2015Ministry of Internal Affairs and General Prosecutor's Office issue joint statement on death of Rasim Aliyev
- 09.08.2015Ali Hasanov: The issues related to Rasim Aliyev’s death were taken under special supervision and are being investigated seriously
- 09.08.2015Journalist, who was beaten and hospitalized yesterday, dies
- 06.08.2015NTRC: List not fully ready of programmes for which dossiers to be prepared
- 05.08.2015Azerbaijan’s cable network operators renew packages
- 28.07.2015Azerbaijani media company conducts filming of 13th European Youth Olympic Festival in Tbilisi - PHOTOSESSION
- 25.07.2015Press Council chairman addresses reporters over front line developments
- 22.07.2015Solemn ceremony held to mark the 140th anniversary of National Press of Azerbaijan - PHOTOSESSION
- 22.07.2015APA becomes one of winners of competition for most extensive coverage of First European Games
- 22.07.2015Ali Hasanov: Several decisions were taken at the meeting of President Ilham Aliyev with the members of Press Council
- 22.07.2015140 years pass since establishment of Azerbaijani national press
- 21.07.2015AZN 5M allocated to continue construction of residential building for journalists
- 21.07.2015President Ilham Aliyev receives board members of Press Council - UPDATED
- 20.07.2015A group of journalists awarded with Azerbaijani president’s honorary diplomas
- 20.07.2015Two journalists to receive individual scholarship of President of Azerbaijan
- 20.07.2015Azerbaijani President issues an order on awarding media representatives
- 20.07.2015President Ilham Aliyev issues an order on awarding media representatives with honorary titles
- 07.07.2015NTRC: Number of telecasts that serious measures will be taken on increasing day by day
- 30.06.2015APA Holding issued more than 12,000 news releases about first European Games
- 29.06.2015BSU hosts conference dedicated 140th anniversary of Azerbaijan’s national press - PHOTO
- 22.06.2015OSCE media freedom representative calls for immediate release of Al Jazeera journalist arrested in Germany
- 16.06.2015German newspaper exposes anti-Azerbaijan campaign by Western media
- 11.06.2015No one appealed for visit to Azerbaijan in name of Amnesty International – president’s aide
- 10.06.2015Address to Azerbaijani journalists: "Let’s protect the official twitter-page of the I European Games"
- 08.06.2015Ethiopian journalists visit APA Holding
- 05.06.2015Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijan’s sound journalism has always been against such people - PHOTO
- 02.06.2015President Ilham Aliyev signs order on marking 140th jubilee of Azerbaijan’s national media
- 02.06.2015APA Holding starts issuing special newsletters on 1st European Games