UN official condemns violence in Syria, attacks on aid workers
Baku-APA.UN official on Wednesday condemned the continued violence and the attacks on aid workers in Syria, saying that putting humanitarian workers into dangerous situations in the Middle East country "is not acceptable,” APA reports quoting Xinhua
Valerie Amos, the UN under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs and UN emergency relief coordinator, said, " Nowhere in Syria is safe any more and humanitarian workers risk their lives every day to provide essential life-saving help. This is unacceptable."
"All parties must allow humanitarian aid and workers to pass safely into all areas of need," she said. "The recognized symbols of the Red Cross/Red Crescent movement must be respected."
Her comments came while expressing condolences over the death of a staff member of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) in the Syrian city of Aleppo.
"My sympathy goes out to the family of Yousef Lattouf, and to the friends and families of all the humanitarian workers who have been killed in Syria," said Amos.
Lattouf is the 18th SARC staff member to die in the political crisis in Syria, which broke out in March 2011 and later developed into violence between the government troops and armed opposition.
The SARC warehouse Lattouf was guarding in the opposition-held area of Mashahad, was hit by a mortar on April 14. Another SARC volunteer was also injured in the attack.
John Ging, the operations director of the UN Office of the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), visited the site of the latest killing with the SARC Director for Aleppo, Hail Assi.
Ging condemned "the continuing brutal violence resulting in the senseless loss of civilian lives," said a press release on the incident.
Related news releases
- 14.10.2015Turkey deadly blasts have roots in Syria: Erdoğan
- 14.10.2015Person No.2 in Islamic State killed — media
- 13.10.2015Iran president praises Majlis nuclear bill
- 13.10.2015Malaysia PM vows to bring MH17 shooters to justice
- 13.10.2015Eight terrorists killed in Turkey's southeast
- 13.10.2015Iran first vice president to visit Armenia
- 13.10.201518 wounded in attack on bus in Jerusalem
- 13.10.2015Palestinian shot dead after stabbing soldier on Jerusalem bus
- 13.10.2015U.S. airdrops ammunition to Syria rebels
- 12.10.2015Saudi king reaffirms commitment to hajj after Iran criticism
- 12.10.2015Russian airstrikes destroy 25 jihadi positions in Syria's Latakia
- 12.10.2015Saudis tell Russia its actions in Syria will have 'dangerous consequences'
- 12.10.2015IRNA: Al-Baghdadi wounded, 3 terror aides killed in Iraqi air raid
- 11.10.2015India police nab 21 over anti-Muslim violence
- 11.10.2015Turkish PM calls on parties to unite against terrorism
- 10.10.2015Indian PM expresses grief over Turkey's terror attacks
- 10.10.2015ISIS makes gains in Syria
- 10.10.2015Israel, Iran trade barbs at U.N. disarmament panel meeting
- 10.10.2015Pakistan summons Indian diplomat over train service disruption
- 10.10.2015Islamic State closes in on city of Aleppo in Syrian fighting
- 10.10.201510 dead in fire at Philippines maximum security prison
- 09.10.2015Five killed in Gaza as Israeli-Palestinian violence widens
- 09.10.20154 Palestinians killed in skirmish on Palestine-Israel border
- 09.10.2015IRGC commander Hossein Hamedani killed in Syria
- 09.10.2015French jets bomb Islamic State stronghold in Syria
- 09.10.2015Saudi Arabia 'stepping up' arms supplies to Syrian rebels
- 09.10.2015Clashes break out in Beirut over trash crisis
- 09.10.2015Syria extends major offensive to retake territory in west
- 09.10.2015Iran Rejects Russian Missile Crash
- 08.10.2015Syrian army launches large-scale offensive against IS
- 08.10.2015Saudi-led airstrikes kill 15 at wedding in Yemen
- 08.10.2015Ukraine says four soldiers wounded in rebel attack despite truce
- 07.10.2015Russian warplanes in Syria destroy U.S.-trained rebels' weapons depots: commander
- 07.10.2015Iran’s Supreme Leader Bars Further Talks With U.S.
- 07.10.2015Poachers kill 14 elephants in Zimbabwe with cyanide
- 07.10.2015Maldives boat blast was attempt on president's life: minister
- 07.10.2015Pakistan rejects charges of complicity in Kunduz assault
- 06.10.2015Typhoon Mujigae kills 19 in south China
- 06.10.2015China planning to send fighter jets to Syria
- 06.10.2015Typhoon Mujigae leaves 15 dead or missing in south China