Baku-APA.UN official on Wednesday condemned the continued violence and the attacks on aid workers in Syria, saying that putting humanitarian workers into dangerous situations in the Middle East country "is not acceptable,” APA reports quoting Xinhua
Valerie Amos, the UN under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs and UN emergency relief coordinator, said, " Nowhere in Syria is safe any more and humanitarian workers risk their lives every day to provide essential life-saving help. This is unacceptable."
"All parties must allow humanitarian aid and workers to pass safely into all areas of need," she said. "The recognized symbols of the Red Cross/Red Crescent movement must be respected."
Her comments came while expressing condolences over the death of a staff member of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) in the Syrian city of Aleppo.
"My sympathy goes out to the family of Yousef Lattouf, and to the friends and families of all the humanitarian workers who have been killed in Syria," said Amos.
Lattouf is the 18th SARC staff member to die in the political crisis in Syria, which broke out in March 2011 and later developed into violence between the government troops and armed opposition.
The SARC warehouse Lattouf was guarding in the opposition-held area of Mashahad, was hit by a mortar on April 14. Another SARC volunteer was also injured in the attack.
John Ging, the operations director of the UN Office of the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), visited the site of the latest killing with the SARC Director for Aleppo, Hail Assi.
Ging condemned "the continuing brutal violence resulting in the senseless loss of civilian lives," said a press release on the incident.
- 19/04/2015 Two dead, five injured in China nightclub fire
- 18/04/2015 Iran starts testing Iraq gas pipeline
- 18/04/2015 45 people killed in Saudi airstrikes on Yemen’s Sa'ada
- 18/04/2015 11 killed, 134 injured during Myanmar water festival period in Yangon
- 18/04/2015 6.8-magnitude quake hits off Sigave, Wallis and Futuna
- 18/04/2015 Iran submits four-point Yemen peace plan to United Nations
- 18/04/2015 Saddam aide, Iraqi insurgent leader al-Douri reported killed
- 18/04/2015 North Korea warns U.S. envoy of 'bigger mishap' than a knife attack
- 18/04/2015 Car bomb kills three outside U.S. consulate - UPDATED
- 17/04/2015 Rouhani: G5+1 needs final nuclear deal more than Iran does
- 17/04/2015 Child killed, 7 injured in building collapse in Indian capital
- 16/04/2015 S-300 missile system serves defense purposes for Iran: Putin
- 16/04/2015 Al-Qaeda seizes provincial airport in southeast Yemen: official
- 16/04/2015 10 killed in house collapse in Bangladesh capital
- 16/04/2015 Iraqi forces launch offensive to free north Tikrit from IS
- 15/04/2015 Conference dedicated to the genocide of Azerbaijanis held in Swedish Parliament
- 15/04/2015 One of Al Qaeda's top spiritual leaders has been killed in Yemen
- 15/04/2015 2 killed, 48 injured after climbing structure collapses in east China
- 14/04/2015 23 injured in Asiana Airlines landing incident in Japan
- 14/04/2015 SKorea responds to Japan military pact with caution
- 14/04/2015 22 security personnel killed in N. Afghanistan
- 13/04/2015 Iran calls for new Yemeni government, increasing tension with Saudis
- 12/04/2015 Three Saudi Arabian Officers Killed in Houthi's Attack on Border Checkpoint
- 12/04/2015 7 policemen killed by left-wing rebels in India
- 12/04/2015 3 Saudi soldiers killed near Yemen border
- 12/04/2015 Russian Navy ship evacuates from Yemen 308 people of 19 nationalities, including 5 Azerbaijanis
- 12/04/2015 Turkish police seize 600 kilograms of heroin in east
- 12/04/2015 Iran to launch new submarine soon
- 11/04/2015 Militants in motorcycles open fire on Pakistani labor camp, killing 20
- 11/04/2015 Abbas Arakhchi: "Iran will not allow foreign inspectors to military facilities"
- 11/04/2015 Saudi Arabia denies access to its airspace for Russian flights heading to Yemen - sources
- 11/04/2015 Car bomb explodes in Syria's Homs, killing child
- 10/04/2015 Iran deal could stumble on sensitive nuclear monitoring
- 10/04/2015 Speaker urges support for nuclear talks
- 10/04/2015 Forces kill 47 militants in NW Pakistan
- 09/04/2015 Senior Pakistani Taliban leaders join Islamic State
- 09/04/2015 Turkey welcomes Palestine's ICC membership
- 09/04/2015 Iran will sign final nuclear deal only if sanctions lifted: Rouhani
- 09/04/2015 North Korea warns will act to get back ship held by Mexico
- 09/04/2015 International TV channel hit by pro-IS hackers