Baku-APA.UN official on Wednesday condemned the continued violence and the attacks on aid workers in Syria, saying that putting humanitarian workers into dangerous situations in the Middle East country "is not acceptable,” APA reports quoting Xinhua
Valerie Amos, the UN under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs and UN emergency relief coordinator, said, " Nowhere in Syria is safe any more and humanitarian workers risk their lives every day to provide essential life-saving help. This is unacceptable."
"All parties must allow humanitarian aid and workers to pass safely into all areas of need," she said. "The recognized symbols of the Red Cross/Red Crescent movement must be respected."
Her comments came while expressing condolences over the death of a staff member of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) in the Syrian city of Aleppo.
"My sympathy goes out to the family of Yousef Lattouf, and to the friends and families of all the humanitarian workers who have been killed in Syria," said Amos.
Lattouf is the 18th SARC staff member to die in the political crisis in Syria, which broke out in March 2011 and later developed into violence between the government troops and armed opposition.
The SARC warehouse Lattouf was guarding in the opposition-held area of Mashahad, was hit by a mortar on April 14. Another SARC volunteer was also injured in the attack.
John Ging, the operations director of the UN Office of the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), visited the site of the latest killing with the SARC Director for Aleppo, Hail Assi.
Ging condemned "the continuing brutal violence resulting in the senseless loss of civilian lives," said a press release on the incident.
- 17/04/2014 7 dead, 289 still missing in S. Korea ferry sinking
- 17/04/2014 Syrian opposition willing to participate in talks
- 17/04/2014 Jordanian warplanes destroy vehicles trying to cross from Syria: spokesman
- 17/04/2014 Iran expects next payment under nuclear deal, signaling compliance
- 16/04/2014 6 killed, 53 wounded in violent attacks across Iraq
- 16/04/2014 A ship with 350 passengers on board issues distress signal off South Korean coast
- 16/04/2014 Israeli, Palestinian negotiators to meet on Wednesday, U.S. says
- 16/04/2014 5.6-magnitude quake hits Southeast of Easter Island - USGS
- 15/04/2014 US airstrike kills woman, two children in E. Afghanistan
- 15/04/2014 11 killed in separate violent attacks across Iraq
- 15/04/2014 Malaysia jet search area too deep for submarine
- 15/04/2014 Syrian army seizes ancient Christian town near Lebanese border
- 15/04/2014 Police seize record number of illegal arms
- 15/04/2014 Israel minister warns Kerry over 'surrender' to Iran
- 13/04/2014 Eight dead, 14 hurt in fatal highway accident in S. Philippines
- 13/04/2014 Tsunami warning cancelled after earthquake hits near Solomon Islands
- 13/04/2014 15 injured after train derails in NE China
- 13/04/2014 Security forces kill 14 Taliban militants across Afghanistan
- 13/04/2014 8.3-magnitude quake hits off Kirakira, Solomon Islands
- 12/04/2014 Maoist rebels kill 14 in anti-election campaign in India
- 12/04/2014 Palestinians call for sanctions on Israel in retaliation
- 12/04/2014 21 killed in violent attacks across Iraq
- 12/04/2014 UN: Ambassador scandal between US and Iran bears no relation to this organization
- 12/04/2014 Iran rejects European Parliament invitation
- 12/04/2014 UAE: Paramedic dies from MERS, others infected
- 12/04/2014 Australian PM says searchers confident of position of MH370's black boxes
- 11/04/2014 S.Korea, U.S. hold largest-ever air drill
- 11/04/2014 Palestinian FM rejects Israeli economic sanctions
- 11/04/2014 Malaysia Airlines search zeroing in after latest pings
- 11/04/2014 16 injured as blast hits Pakistan's eastern city Lahore
- 11/04/2014 51 rebels killed during infighting in east Syria
- 10/04/2014 25 killed in separate violent attacks across Iraq
- 10/04/2014 Russia, Iran speak out for Syrian settlement based on international law - FM
- 10/04/2014 Arab FMs hold Israel responsible for peace deadlock
- 10/04/2014 Frontrunner in Afghan vote rules out coalition government
- 10/04/2014 Netanyahu orders cutback in contacts with Palestinian Authority
- 10/04/2014 Iranian nuclear talks cover all issues needed for final agreement
- 10/04/2014 Blasts in central Syria city of Homs kill 25
- 09/04/2014 PNA reacts as Israel halts bilateral cooperation
- 09/04/2014 DPRK holds parliamentary session, forms new government