UN official condemns violence in Syria, attacks on aid workers
Baku-APA.UN official on Wednesday condemned the continued violence and the attacks on aid workers in Syria, saying that putting humanitarian workers into dangerous situations in the Middle East country "is not acceptable,” APA reports quoting Xinhua
Valerie Amos, the UN under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs and UN emergency relief coordinator, said, " Nowhere in Syria is safe any more and humanitarian workers risk their lives every day to provide essential life-saving help. This is unacceptable."
"All parties must allow humanitarian aid and workers to pass safely into all areas of need," she said. "The recognized symbols of the Red Cross/Red Crescent movement must be respected."
Her comments came while expressing condolences over the death of a staff member of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) in the Syrian city of Aleppo.
"My sympathy goes out to the family of Yousef Lattouf, and to the friends and families of all the humanitarian workers who have been killed in Syria," said Amos.
Lattouf is the 18th SARC staff member to die in the political crisis in Syria, which broke out in March 2011 and later developed into violence between the government troops and armed opposition.
The SARC warehouse Lattouf was guarding in the opposition-held area of Mashahad, was hit by a mortar on April 14. Another SARC volunteer was also injured in the attack.
John Ging, the operations director of the UN Office of the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), visited the site of the latest killing with the SARC Director for Aleppo, Hail Assi.
Ging condemned "the continuing brutal violence resulting in the senseless loss of civilian lives," said a press release on the incident.
Related news releases
- 31.05.20161 dead, 5 injured as water tower collapses in China school
- 31.05.2016Saudi Hajj and Umrah Ministry responds to Iranian Hajj and Pilgrimage Organization refusal
- 31.05.2016Turkey calls on int'l community to act against 'indefensible crimes of Russia, Syria'
- 31.05.2016Attempted North Korea missile launch fails: South Korea
- 31.05.2016Netanyahu says willing to discuss Arab initiative for peace with Palestinians
- 31.05.2016More than 50 Afghan police killed in Helmand fighting
- 31.05.2016More than 20 killed in series of bombings in Baghdad, police says
- 31.05.2016Japan puts military on alert for possible North Korea missile launch
- 30.05.2016Turkey's Erdogan accuses Russia of arming PKK militants
- 30.05.2016Iraqi army storms to edge of Islamic State-held Falluja; fresh bombings hit Baghdad
- 30.05.2016Iraqi army launches assault against ISIL in Fallujah
- 29.05.20165 killed, 3 missing in S. China flood
- 28.05.2016Drone grounds flights at southwest China airport
- 28.05.2016Iraqi forces liberate two more villages near Fallujah
- 28.05.2016Pakistan’s Sharif to have open-heart surgery in London
- 28.05.2016Islamic State commander in Falluja killed, U.S. military says
- 27.05.2016G7 vows growth efforts as Japan's Abe warns of global crisis
- 27.05.2016Islamic State drives Syria rebels from near Turkish border
- 27.05.2016North Korea threatens retaliation after South Korean warning shots
- 27.05.2016Hiroshima memory must never fade, Obama says
- 27.05.2016G7 stands pat on anti-Russian sanctions
- 27.05.2016S. Korea navy fires warning shots after North incursion
- 26.05.2016Five dead, 92 injured in Mumbai chemical factory blast
- 26.05.2016Japan's Abe takes G7 leaders to shrine as economy tops summit agenda
- 26.05.2016Netanyahu signs coalition deal, names far-right Lieberman defense chief
- 26.05.2016Iraqi PM claims progress in Fallujah military operation
- 25.05.2016Afghan Taliban appoint a new leader, Kabul urges peace
- 25.05.2016Top Shi'ite cleric urges restraint in assault on Iraq's Falluja
- 25.05.2016Avigdor Lieberman named as Israel's defense minister
- 25.05.2016Israel: Liberman’s party to join government coalition
- 25.05.2016Taliban announces new leader
- 24.05.2016Four Turkish soldiers fall in roadside blast in Van
- 24.05.2016IS destroyed helicopters at Syrian base used by Russia: report
- 24.05.2016Syrian Kurds begin operation against ISIL
- 24.05.2016Iraqi forces clash with Islamic State near Falluja, bombard city center
- 23.05.2016Landslides kill at least 20 in SW Yemen
- 23.05.2016Bombs kill more than 140 in Syrian government-held cities
- 23.05.2016Over 100 feared killed as blasts hit Syria’s Latakia province
- 23.05.2016Iraqi PM announces start of operation to retake Falluja
- 22.05.2016Islamic State calls for attacks on the West during Ramadan in audio message