Baku-APA.UN official on Wednesday condemned the continued violence and the attacks on aid workers in Syria, saying that putting humanitarian workers into dangerous situations in the Middle East country "is not acceptable,” APA reports quoting Xinhua
Valerie Amos, the UN under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs and UN emergency relief coordinator, said, " Nowhere in Syria is safe any more and humanitarian workers risk their lives every day to provide essential life-saving help. This is unacceptable."
"All parties must allow humanitarian aid and workers to pass safely into all areas of need," she said. "The recognized symbols of the Red Cross/Red Crescent movement must be respected."
Her comments came while expressing condolences over the death of a staff member of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) in the Syrian city of Aleppo.
"My sympathy goes out to the family of Yousef Lattouf, and to the friends and families of all the humanitarian workers who have been killed in Syria," said Amos.
Lattouf is the 18th SARC staff member to die in the political crisis in Syria, which broke out in March 2011 and later developed into violence between the government troops and armed opposition.
The SARC warehouse Lattouf was guarding in the opposition-held area of Mashahad, was hit by a mortar on April 14. Another SARC volunteer was also injured in the attack.
John Ging, the operations director of the UN Office of the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), visited the site of the latest killing with the SARC Director for Aleppo, Hail Assi.
Ging condemned "the continuing brutal violence resulting in the senseless loss of civilian lives," said a press release on the incident.
- 02/09/2015 Second arrest made in Bangkok shrine bombing
- 02/09/2015 Iran ready to help solve Middle East woes, Zarif says
- 02/09/2015 Heavy monsoon rains wreak havoc in Bangladesh's capital
- 01/09/2015 Iran welcomes cooperation with US companies in petchem sector: Official
- 01/09/2015 Policeman martyred in Batman clash in Turkey
- 01/09/2015 Jihadi militants advance toward besieged Shiite towns in Syria
- 01/09/2015 Germany says migrants arriving in Hungary must register there
- 31/08/2015 Taliban say keeping leader's death secret was a military decision
- 30/08/2015 Iran nuclear deal will 'fuel terrorism': Netanyahu
- 30/08/2015 Huge Malaysia rally for Najib's resignation enters 2nd day
- 30/08/2015 24 killed in bomb attacks, clashes with IS in Iraq's Anbar
- 29/08/2015 Iran's Rouhani says military power not affected by nuclear deal: state TV
- 29/08/2015 7 killed, 2 injured in China paper mill accident
- 29/08/2015 Philippines: 3 Abu Sayyaf killed, 15 injured in fighting
- 29/08/2015 Saudi-led air strikes kill 10 people in central Yemen: officials
- 28/08/2015 Eleven killed in India-Pakistan border shelling
- 28/08/2015 Japan Launches Newest Izumo-Class Helicopter Carrier
- 28/08/2015 Greece top judge takes over as interim prime minister
- 28/08/2015 MERS virus kills 19 in seven days in Saudi: Ministry
- 27/08/2015 IAEA to establish first nuclear fuel bank in Kazakhstan
- 27/08/2015 One civilian dead, several injured in east of Turkey
- 27/08/2015 Pakistani court orders arrest of ex-PM Gilani over graft charges
- 27/08/2015 ISIL seizes five Syrian border villages
- 27/08/2015 Panasonic to cut 1,300 jobs
- 27/08/2015 Iran urges US to release 19 detainees
- 27/08/2015 U.S. reports 20 air strikes against Islamic State in Iraq and Syria
- 26/08/2015 5 killed in clashes in western Indian state
- 26/08/2015 22 IS militants killed in airstrikes in Anbar province
- 26/08/2015 Magnitude 5.2 Earthquake Rocks Southeast Japan
- 26/08/2015 US, Turkey finalize ‘details’ of Mideast air campaign
- 26/08/2015 Taliban torch civilian homes in central Afghanistan
- 26/08/2015 Road accident kills 3, injures 7 in NW China
- 26/08/2015 Magnitude 4.6 quake strikes two cities in northern Tehran Province
- 25/08/2015 International Atomic Energy Agency approves plan of Iran’s nuclear inspections
- 25/08/2015 Saudi Arabia reports 7 more deaths from MERS
- 25/08/2015 Two killed in clashes in south Lebanon refugee camp
- 25/08/2015 Islamic State claims to kill 30 for sodomy
- 25/08/2015 Six militants, army colonel killed in Pakistan clash
- 24/08/2015 North Korea announces agreement with South
- 24/08/2015 Britain says Iran too powerful to leave in isolation