Baku-APA.UN official on Wednesday condemned the continued violence and the attacks on aid workers in Syria, saying that putting humanitarian workers into dangerous situations in the Middle East country "is not acceptable,” APA reports quoting Xinhua
Valerie Amos, the UN under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs and UN emergency relief coordinator, said, " Nowhere in Syria is safe any more and humanitarian workers risk their lives every day to provide essential life-saving help. This is unacceptable."
"All parties must allow humanitarian aid and workers to pass safely into all areas of need," she said. "The recognized symbols of the Red Cross/Red Crescent movement must be respected."
Her comments came while expressing condolences over the death of a staff member of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) in the Syrian city of Aleppo.
"My sympathy goes out to the family of Yousef Lattouf, and to the friends and families of all the humanitarian workers who have been killed in Syria," said Amos.
Lattouf is the 18th SARC staff member to die in the political crisis in Syria, which broke out in March 2011 and later developed into violence between the government troops and armed opposition.
The SARC warehouse Lattouf was guarding in the opposition-held area of Mashahad, was hit by a mortar on April 14. Another SARC volunteer was also injured in the attack.
John Ging, the operations director of the UN Office of the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), visited the site of the latest killing with the SARC Director for Aleppo, Hail Assi.
Ging condemned "the continuing brutal violence resulting in the senseless loss of civilian lives," said a press release on the incident.
- 23/11/2014 5.5-magnitude quake hits 42 km SW of Balkh, Afghanistan
- 23/11/2014 Buildings collapsed, 4 out of 5 buried rescued after M6.8 quake hits Japan's Nagano - UPDATED
- 23/11/2014 Two killed after 6.3-magnitude quake hits SW China
- 23/11/2014 Turkey determined to ally with US against ISIL
- 22/11/2014 Damage, injuries reported after M6.8 quake hits Japan's Nagano
- 22/11/2014 13 injured in C China explosion
- 22/11/2014 Sharif asks Obama to play role on Kashmir issue
- 22/11/2014 Bahrain to hold first election since 2011 protests
- 22/11/2014 Iran says no proposals from P 5+1 negotiators to Iran that require coordination
- 22/11/2014 Islamic State targeted in 30 air strikes by U.S., allies
- 22/11/2014 Japan PM seeks verdict on 'Abenomics' in snap election
- 21/11/2014 Islamic State attacks Iraq provincial capital: officials
- 21/11/2014 Iranian FM to head back to Tehran for consultation
- 21/11/2014 The convoy of Turkish PM crashed, 2 injured
- 21/11/2014 Senior Islamic State figure killed in Mosul
- 21/11/2014 Iran to allow IAEA inspectors into Marivan site
- 20/11/2014 At least 60 people killed in Iraq
- 20/11/2014 3 killed, 35 missing in Nepal as bus falls in river
- 20/11/2014 Five dead in helicopter crash in Russia
- 20/11/2014 North Korea ready to resume nuclear talks, says Russia
- 20/11/2014 Explosion, gunfire rock Kabul, killing 4 attackers
- 20/11/2014 N. Korea threatens to beef up military capability
- 20/11/2014 Israel slams Spain's vote for Palestinian recognition
- 20/11/2014 Iran says Vienna talks "serious, intensive"
- 20/11/2014 Saudi King urges Egypt to solve issues with Qatar
- 20/11/2014 Iran, US go face-to-face in crunch nuclear talks
- 20/11/2014 Iraq transfers 500 mln USD to Kurds on budget dispute
- 19/11/2014 French jets destroy IS targets in Iraq's Kirkuk: Defense Ministry
- 19/11/2014 Saudi Arabia expands Iraq buffer zone
- 19/11/2014 Indian police, guru supporters clashes injure 200
- 19/11/2014 Jordan says able to export uranium by 2020
- 19/11/2014 Iran, Sextet technical experts resume nuclear negotiations
- 19/11/2014 Obama denounces attack on Jerusalem synagogue
- 18/11/2014 Afghan conflicts kill 17, wound 12 within day
- 18/11/2014 Deaths reported in Syrian bombing in Aleppo
- 18/11/2014 Thai army helicopters temporarily grounded, pending major check-ups
- 18/11/2014 Iranian drone down in Iraq
- 18/11/2014 5 died in blaze in Cambodia's Siem Reap tourism town: police
- 18/11/2014 Huge blast rocks Afghanistan's capital
- 18/11/2014 Frenchman seen in Islamic State video of beheadings