Baku-APA.UN official on Wednesday condemned the continued violence and the attacks on aid workers in Syria, saying that putting humanitarian workers into dangerous situations in the Middle East country "is not acceptable,” APA reports quoting Xinhua
Valerie Amos, the UN under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs and UN emergency relief coordinator, said, " Nowhere in Syria is safe any more and humanitarian workers risk their lives every day to provide essential life-saving help. This is unacceptable."
"All parties must allow humanitarian aid and workers to pass safely into all areas of need," she said. "The recognized symbols of the Red Cross/Red Crescent movement must be respected."
Her comments came while expressing condolences over the death of a staff member of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) in the Syrian city of Aleppo.
"My sympathy goes out to the family of Yousef Lattouf, and to the friends and families of all the humanitarian workers who have been killed in Syria," said Amos.
Lattouf is the 18th SARC staff member to die in the political crisis in Syria, which broke out in March 2011 and later developed into violence between the government troops and armed opposition.
The SARC warehouse Lattouf was guarding in the opposition-held area of Mashahad, was hit by a mortar on April 14. Another SARC volunteer was also injured in the attack.
John Ging, the operations director of the UN Office of the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), visited the site of the latest killing with the SARC Director for Aleppo, Hail Assi.
Ging condemned "the continuing brutal violence resulting in the senseless loss of civilian lives," said a press release on the incident.
- 28/07/2014 UN Security Council calls for immediate ceasefire in Gaza
- 27/07/2014 Turkey says suspends operations in Libya embassy due to security woes
- 27/07/2014 Three other Israeli soldiers die in Tel Aviv’s war on Gaza
- 27/07/2014 Rouhani: Iran supports stability, security in Iraq
- 27/07/2014 Hamas refuses to extend truce by four hours
- 26/07/2014 Israel comes under mortar fire after truce extension
- 26/07/2014 ISIL terrorists demolish shrines in Nineveh Province
- 26/07/2014 Israel agrees to extend humanitarian truce for four hours
- 26/07/2014 Car bombing kills 4 in Syria's Aleppo: activists
- 26/07/2014 Death toll rises over 1,000 in Gaza
- 26/07/2014 UNICEF: At least 192 children killed in Gaza
- 26/07/2014 Israel, Hamas agree 12-hour ceasefire in Gaza starting Saturday morning
- 26/07/2014 7 killed as airforce helicopter crashes in N.India
- 26/07/2014 16 civilians shot dead in W. Afghanistan
- 25/07/2014 Crunch time for Gaza truce talks as death toll passes 800
- 25/07/2014 Gunmen kill 2 officers in Egypt's restive Sinai
- 25/07/2014 Dual typhoons kill 64 in China
- 25/07/2014 3 Palestinians killed in West Bank violence
- 25/07/2014 Rivlin sworn in as Israel's president
- 25/07/2014 Turkey key to Gaza ceasefire, says US State Department
- 25/07/2014 Iran condemns Israel attack on Gaza’s UN-run school
- 25/07/2014 Gaza death toll approaches 800, no sign of ceasefire
- 25/07/2014 Israel aviation strikes at mosque in Palestine refugee camp
- 25/07/2014 Kurdish politician Fouad Masoum elected as Iraqi president
- 25/07/2014 Israel refuses to accept proposal on ceasefire in Gaza Strip
- 24/07/2014 Two foreign soldiers killed in Afghanistan
- 24/07/2014 Train, bus collision kills 20 schoolkids in India
- 24/07/2014 Kurdish politician Fouad Massoum elected Iraq's president
- 24/07/2014 U.S. says blame for downed plane lies with Putin
- 24/07/2014 Kerry wraps up Israel visit, no sign of breakthrough
- 24/07/2014 Israel scrambles to restore foreign flights to Tel Aviv
- 24/07/2014 Hamas tactics exact high toll in Israeli ground thrust
- 24/07/2014 "Some progress" made on reaching a truce in Gaza: Kerry
- 23/07/2014 Gaza bloodshed deepens, airlines shun Israel
- 23/07/2014 Plane crashes in Taiwan, killing at least 47: reports
- 23/07/2014 Iraqi security forces kill over 100 rebels
- 23/07/2014 Airlines Suspend Flights to Israel After Hamas Rocket Falls Near Key Airport
- 23/07/2014 Six Austrian citizens dead so far in Syrian crisis: interior ministry
- 23/07/2014 Malaysian experts hand over MH17 black boxes to Dutch investigators
- 23/07/2014 Netanyahu urges Kerry to resume Israel-bound flights