Baku-APA.UN official on Wednesday condemned the continued violence and the attacks on aid workers in Syria, saying that putting humanitarian workers into dangerous situations in the Middle East country "is not acceptable,” APA reports quoting Xinhua
Valerie Amos, the UN under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs and UN emergency relief coordinator, said, " Nowhere in Syria is safe any more and humanitarian workers risk their lives every day to provide essential life-saving help. This is unacceptable."
"All parties must allow humanitarian aid and workers to pass safely into all areas of need," she said. "The recognized symbols of the Red Cross/Red Crescent movement must be respected."
Her comments came while expressing condolences over the death of a staff member of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) in the Syrian city of Aleppo.
"My sympathy goes out to the family of Yousef Lattouf, and to the friends and families of all the humanitarian workers who have been killed in Syria," said Amos.
Lattouf is the 18th SARC staff member to die in the political crisis in Syria, which broke out in March 2011 and later developed into violence between the government troops and armed opposition.
The SARC warehouse Lattouf was guarding in the opposition-held area of Mashahad, was hit by a mortar on April 14. Another SARC volunteer was also injured in the attack.
John Ging, the operations director of the UN Office of the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), visited the site of the latest killing with the SARC Director for Aleppo, Hail Assi.
Ging condemned "the continuing brutal violence resulting in the senseless loss of civilian lives," said a press release on the incident.
- 04/07/2015 At least 25 Syrian al Qaeda members dead in mosque blast in Syria's Idlib: monitor
- 04/07/2015 At least 11,189 people killed in six months: Syrian NGO
- 04/07/2015 Protesters gather in Thailand to demand students release
- 03/07/2015 Two rockets fired from Egypt land in southern Israel
- 03/07/2015 Saudi-led air strikes on Yemen cities kill 16: Houthis
- 03/07/2015 6.5 magnitude quake hits China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region
- 03/07/2015 Clashes, air strikes against IS militants kill 72 in Iraq
- 03/07/2015 Saudi policeman killed in crossfire amid raids on IS members
- 03/07/2015 12 killed as 4 compartments of train fall into canal in Pakistan
- 02/07/2015 Eight dead in new Saudi-led strikes on Yemen's Sanaa: agency
- 02/07/2015 Iraqi forces say most of Baiji town recaptured from Islamic State
- 02/07/2015 36 dead, 19 missing as ferry capsizes in Philippines
- 02/07/2015 21 killed in road accident in India
- 02/07/2015 5.8-magnitude quake hits 92km SE of Kirakira, Solomon Islands
- 01/07/2015 IAEA chief to discuss nuclear issues with Iranian officials in Tehran
- 01/07/2015 141 bodies recovered from Indonesia plane crash
- 01/07/2015 Inmates riot against smoking ban breaks out at maximum prison of Melbourne
- 01/07/2015 Iraqi forces nearly recapture oil refinery town in Salahudin
- 30/06/2015 Iran, powers give themselves to July 7 to strike deal
- 30/06/2015 At least 113 people killed in Indonesian military plane crash
- 30/06/2015 Indonesian military plane crashes into hotel, killing at least 30
- 30/06/2015 Fereydoun, Salehi to join Iranian negotiators
- 29/06/2015 U.S. says absurd to suggest that it will cave in Iran talks
- 28/06/2015 More than 430 people injured in Taiwan water park explosion - UPDATED
- 28/06/2015 Lebanon foils IS bomb plot one day after triple terror hits backed by same group
- 28/06/2015 Ansarullah fighters target Saudi military bases in Jizan
- 27/06/2015 Gunmen attack western Mali town: army spokesman
- 27/06/2015 228 injured in Taiwan park fire
- 27/06/2015 Explosion in Taiwan injures over 100
- 26/06/2015 Death toll in Kuwait's mosque attack rises to 25
- 26/06/2015 Iran, P5+1 may continue talks a few days beyond deadline: US
- 26/06/2015 Quake-ravaged Nepal receives financial commitment of 4.4 bln USD for reconstruction
- 25/06/2015 ISIS militants disguised as Kurdish fighters infiltrate Syrian town
- 25/06/2015 18 killed in air strikes, clashes with IS militants in Iraq
- 24/06/2015 Islamic State mints its own 'Islamic Dinar' coins
- 24/06/2015 Heatwave in Pakistan kills nearly 700 people - PHOTO
- 24/06/2015 Isis blows up Islamic shrines in Palmyra
- 23/06/2015 7 fishermen rescued, four missing in typhoon-hit south China
- 23/06/2015 Pakistan heatwave deaths hit urban Karachi hardest
- 22/06/2015 Taliban attack on Afghan parliament ends