Baku-APA.UN official on Wednesday condemned the continued violence and the attacks on aid workers in Syria, saying that putting humanitarian workers into dangerous situations in the Middle East country "is not acceptable,” APA reports quoting Xinhua
Valerie Amos, the UN under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs and UN emergency relief coordinator, said, " Nowhere in Syria is safe any more and humanitarian workers risk their lives every day to provide essential life-saving help. This is unacceptable."
"All parties must allow humanitarian aid and workers to pass safely into all areas of need," she said. "The recognized symbols of the Red Cross/Red Crescent movement must be respected."
Her comments came while expressing condolences over the death of a staff member of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) in the Syrian city of Aleppo.
"My sympathy goes out to the family of Yousef Lattouf, and to the friends and families of all the humanitarian workers who have been killed in Syria," said Amos.
Lattouf is the 18th SARC staff member to die in the political crisis in Syria, which broke out in March 2011 and later developed into violence between the government troops and armed opposition.
The SARC warehouse Lattouf was guarding in the opposition-held area of Mashahad, was hit by a mortar on April 14. Another SARC volunteer was also injured in the attack.
John Ging, the operations director of the UN Office of the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), visited the site of the latest killing with the SARC Director for Aleppo, Hail Assi.
Ging condemned "the continuing brutal violence resulting in the senseless loss of civilian lives," said a press release on the incident.
- 02/09/2014 Storm alert raised for north China
- 01/09/2014 US drone attack leaves 3 dead in Afghanistan
- 01/09/2014 15 more injured as clashes restart in Pakistan's Islamabad
- 31/08/2014 Security Council demands "immediate, unconditional release" of detained UN peacekeepers in Golan Heights
- 31/08/2014 8 killed, 308 injured in clashes in Pakistan's protest
- 31/08/2014 Houthi fighters kill 10 pro-govt. militants in Yemen
- 30/08/2014 32 militants killed in NW Pakistan's air strike
- 30/08/2014 Islamist gains in Syria alarm some Assad allies
- 30/08/2014 India, Pakistan border guards hold 2nd flag meeting in Kashmir
- 29/08/2014 Iraqi forces kill several ISIL terrorists near Baghdad
- 29/08/2014 Abbas seeks immediate int'l recognition of Palestinian state
- 29/08/2014 Israeli police find body in search for missing U.S. student
- 29/08/2014 IS executes scores of Syrian troops in new atrocity
- 28/08/2014 43 UN peacekeepers detained by "armed elements" in Golan Heights: spokesman
- 28/08/2014 Islamic State executes more than 160 Syria troops: monitor
- 28/08/2014 Yemeni president warns Houthi protesters
- 28/08/2014 Radical militants seize Syria crossing near Israel: activists
- 27/08/2014 Nuclear chief: Iran ready to launch new generation of centrifuges
- 27/08/2014 Malaysia police arrest Nepalese workers over rioting
- 27/08/2014 Pakistani opposition party stops talks with gov't
- 26/08/2014 DPRK denounces U.S. over Ferguson shooting
- 26/08/2014 ISIS Demands $6.6M Ransom for 26-Year-Old American Woman
- 26/08/2014 Palestinians accept Egypt’s proposal to conclude 30-day truce
- 26/08/2014 Israeli aircrafts strike Palestinian parliament building
- 26/08/2014 3 Chinese workers missing in Turkey: Chinese embassy
- 26/08/2014 Two car bombs kill at least 11 in mainly Shi'ite part of Baghdad
- 26/08/2014 Iraq premier-designate: militias must follow state
- 25/08/2014 Iraqi crisis: Suicide blast targets Baghdad Shia mosque
- 25/08/2014 Iranian Foreign Minister: “ISIL is a threat against international security”
- 25/08/2014 Iran to give response to recent aggression made by Israeli spy drone
- 24/08/2014 Iran says no need for UN to revisit military site
- 24/08/2014 Israeli airstrike collapses Gaza apartment tower
- 24/08/2014 Bombs kill at least 35 across Iraq a day after mosque shooting
- 24/08/2014 3 Yemen soldiers killed in convoy attack
- 23/08/2014 Israeli strike on a central Gaza house kills 3: Medics
- 23/08/2014 Netanyahu warns Hamas of 'heavy price' after child killed
- 23/08/2014 Gaza militants kill 18 alleged spies for Israel
- 22/08/2014 32 killed in attacks in eastern Iraq
- 22/08/2014 Pakistan says militants from Afghan side kill soldier
- 22/08/2014 Over 180,000 killed in Syrian conflict