Libya Confirms Gaddafi Son’s Trial in February
“Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, former Prime Minister Baghdadi al-Mahmoudi and Gaddafi's former spy chief, Abdullah al-Senussi will be put on trial as soon as questioning is completed within the next month, as expected,” Maraghni said in a statement, APA reports quoting Ria Novosti.
The trial was originally set for September last year, but has been postponed in the light of Abdullah al-Senussi’s extradition to Libya from Mauritania as prosecutors hoped he could provide more evidence against Saif al-Islam.
Saif, 40, was considered the most likely successor to Col. Gaddafi and actively supported his father’s attempts to quash the Libyan rebellion in 2011.
Gaddafi’s regime was overthrown in October 2011 by opposition forces with NATO’s assistance after a seven-month civil war. Gaddafi, who ruled the country for almost 42 years, was captured and killed by rebels near his home town of Sirte on October 20.
Saif was captured in November 2011 by a militia group from the western mountain town of Zintan, where he has been held ever since.
He is also wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC), but Libyan officials have refused to hand him over to The Hague.
Saif and his lawyers have asked for a trial in The Hague as they are afraid that he could face death sentence if tried in Libya.
The Libyan authorities have promised Saif and former Gaddafi government officials a fair trial.
Related news releases
- 26.11.2015Death of man in police custody sparks riots in Egypt
- 25.11.2015Tunisian President declares ‘war’ against terrorism
- 24.11.2015Bomb blast hits military bus in Tunisia, 14 dead - UPDATED
- 23.11.201514 militants from ISIS-linked gang killed in anti-terror op in Russia
- 22.11.2015At least 10 people killed in bomb attacks in Cameroon
- 22.11.2015Mali terror attack rooted in "export of democracy" to Africa - Russia’s foreign ministry
- 21.11.2015Ethiopian soldiers kill 3 Kenyan policemen during manhunt: police
- 21.11.2015Mali Hostage Crisis Ends With 27 People Dead, Including Five Attackers
- 20.11.2015Mali hotel gunmen free some hostages - UPDATED
- 20.11.2015Boko Haram attacks Nigerian army base, soldiers "missing": reports
- 19.11.2015At least 10 killed by flash floods in SW Kenya
- 19.11.2015Suicide bombers kill at least 12 and injure dozens in Nigerian city of Kano
- 18.11.201532 people killed, 80 wounded in huge blast in Nigeria’s Yola
- 18.11.2015No criminal action proof found in Russia plane crash: Egypt
- 17.11.2015Dengue fever kills 118 people in Sudan's Darfur
- 14.11.2015Cairo Discusses Canceled EgyptAir Flight With Moscow - Aviation Minister
- 13.11.2015Egypt Air received notification on suspension of flights to Moscow
- 11.11.2015Tunisian convicted of terrorism tried to return to Italy
- 09.11.2015Suspected Boko Haram suicide bombers kill three Nigerian refugees in Cameroon
- 08.11.2015Clashes between police and protesters in Togo kill 5: govt
- 08.11.2015Taliban local leader detained by Afghan security force
- 08.11.2015WHO declares Sierra Leone Ebola free
- 08.11.2015Dozens of children killed during clashes in S. Sudan: UN
- 07.11.2015South Sudan bans Russian-made plane AN-12 from airspace
- 06.11.2015Cairo understands Moscow’s decision to suspend air service — Egyptian minister
- 06.11.2015Tripoli faction seeks relaunch of Libya talks, says U.N. envoy biased
- 05.11.2015South Sudan plane crash kills dozens; baby among 3 survivors
- 05.11.2015AU welcomes agreement by South Sudan parties on security arrangement
- 04.11.2015Lavrov: Future of any figure in Syria’s political life should be decided by its people
- 04.11.2015South Sudan plane crash kills at least 41 on board and on ground
- 03.11.2015No proof Russian plane broke up in mid-air: Egyptian authorities
- 03.11.2015Troops kill 4 Boko Haram Takfiris in Nigeria
- 02.11.2015Somalia: 5 militants attack hotel in capital, kill 6
- 01.11.201515 dead in al Shabaab attack on Somali hotel
- 01.11.2015Search for Russian Airliner Crash Victims to Be Finished in Coming Days
- 01.11.2015Blast in Somali capital, followed by gunfire: witness
- 01.11.2015Egyptian PM holds press conference on crash of Russian passenger plane
- 01.11.2015Victims of Russian Plane Crash to Be Delivered to St. Petersburg Sunday
- 31.10.2015Crashed Russian Airliner Pilot Did Not Seek Traffic Control Help
- 31.10.2015IS claims responsibility for Russian plane crash in Egypt