Baku-APA. The Syrian army is preparing a carry out a counterattack on a Palestinian refugee camp in south Damascus after foreign-backed militants took control of the camp, APA reports quoting Press TV.
Hundreds of the members of the terrorist Free Syrian Army and al-Nusra Front are reported to have holed up in Yarmuk refugee camp over the past days, committing acts of violence against the camp’s residents.
"Soldiers have amassed in large numbers and are preparing a military operation to cleanse the camp," al-Watan newspaper said.
The United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) says the population of the camp had halved by Tuesday.
Opposition sources claimed on Sunday that government forces have bombed Yarmuk, but the Syrian military immediately rejected the claim, saying it has only targeted Salafist insurgents holed up in the camp.
Some reports say armed men affiliated to the al-Nusra Front executed a number of Palestinian civilians in the refugee camp.
Yarmouk and the districts surrounding it have borne the brunt of the turmoil in Syria over the past months. In September, at least 20 people were killed after mortar shells fired by militants landed in the Palestinian refugee camp.
Syria has been experiencing unrest since March 2011. Many people, including large numbers of army and security personnel, have been killed in the turmoil.
The Syrian government says the chaos is being orchestrated from outside the country, and there are reports that a very large number of the militants operating in the country are foreign nationals.
- 03/03/2015 20 dead after bus falls off cliff in central China
- 03/03/2015 Heavy rain leaves eight dead across Pakistan
- 03/03/2015 Tehran should answer questions to clarify nuclear plans: IAEA chief
- 02/03/2015 Iran says nuclear deal hinges on U.S. will to lift sanctions
- 02/03/2015 Iraq launches attack to retake Tikrit from Islamic State
- 02/03/2015 N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
- 01/03/2015 ISIL to release 29 Syrian Assyrians
- 01/03/2015 Police, protesters clash in Nepalese capital
- 01/03/2015 Turkey: Erdogan slams Austria's controversial Islam law
- 28/02/2015 41 killed in bomb attacks and clashes across Iraq
- 28/02/2015 Blast kills 11 in Damascus countryside
- 28/02/2015 Fourth batch of Kurdish peshmerga troops heads to Kobani
- 28/02/2015 Iraq: 5 killed, 17 injured in Baghdad attacks
- 28/02/2015 Islamic State under pressure as Kurds seize Syrian town
- 28/02/2015 New round of Iran nuke talks to be held next week
- 27/02/2015 7.1 magnitude quake hits central Indonesia
- 27/02/2015 Blast kills 11 in Damascus countryside
- 27/02/2015 Bahraini police summons rights activist Nabeel Rajab
- 27/02/2015 Four killed, one injured in S.Korean shooting rampage
- 27/02/2015 3 Lebanese soldiers injured in clashes with jihadists near Syrian border
- 27/02/2015 Zarif, Kerry to hold nuclear talks in Switzerland next Tuesday - source
- 26/02/2015 Turkey vows continued support for Afghanistan despite convoy attack
- 26/02/2015 35 killed in airstrikes, violence in Iraq
- 26/02/2015 S. Yemen separatists reject transfer of capital to Aden
- 26/02/2015 Suicide bomber explodes car outside Turkish embassy in Kabul
- 26/02/2015 Two children hospitalized in Melbourne with suspected Ebola virus
- 26/02/2015 One killed in bomb explosion in Bangladesh
- 26/02/2015 UN warns Myanmar over path to democratic transition
- 26/02/2015 Islamic State seize 100 Iraqi tribesmen before battle for Tikrit
- 25/02/2015 Syrian Kurds cut IS supply line near Iraq; fears for Christians mount
- 25/02/2015 Afghan avalanches kill over 100: officials
- 25/02/2015 30 Shiite Muslim men kidnapped in Afghanistan
- 25/02/2015 Two Turkish warplanes crash in central province, killing four
- 24/02/2015 Israeli troops kill 19-year-old Palestinian
- 24/02/2015 IS kidnaps 56 Christians of Assyrian minority in northern Syria
- 24/02/2015 Death toll rises to 69 as sunken Bangladeshi ferry salvaged
- 24/02/2015 U.S., Iran positive after nuclear talks, say much left to do
- 24/02/2015 Suleyman Shah: Turkish FM conducts phone diplomacy
- 23/02/2015 Afghan forces kill 33 insurgents, 29 lay down arms in 2 days
- 23/02/2015 Israel arrests Hamas members for allegedly planning attacks