Baku-APA. The Syrian army is preparing a carry out a counterattack on a Palestinian refugee camp in south Damascus after foreign-backed militants took control of the camp, APA reports quoting Press TV.
Hundreds of the members of the terrorist Free Syrian Army and al-Nusra Front are reported to have holed up in Yarmuk refugee camp over the past days, committing acts of violence against the camp’s residents.
"Soldiers have amassed in large numbers and are preparing a military operation to cleanse the camp," al-Watan newspaper said.
The United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) says the population of the camp had halved by Tuesday.
Opposition sources claimed on Sunday that government forces have bombed Yarmuk, but the Syrian military immediately rejected the claim, saying it has only targeted Salafist insurgents holed up in the camp.
Some reports say armed men affiliated to the al-Nusra Front executed a number of Palestinian civilians in the refugee camp.
Yarmouk and the districts surrounding it have borne the brunt of the turmoil in Syria over the past months. In September, at least 20 people were killed after mortar shells fired by militants landed in the Palestinian refugee camp.
Syria has been experiencing unrest since March 2011. Many people, including large numbers of army and security personnel, have been killed in the turmoil.
The Syrian government says the chaos is being orchestrated from outside the country, and there are reports that a very large number of the militants operating in the country are foreign nationals.
- 11/12/2013 Iran’s Envoy to IAEA: Iran-G5+1 expert meeting satisfactory
- 11/12/2013 Russian FM arrives in Tehran
- 11/12/2013 Helicopter crash in New Zealand's North Canterbury
- 10/12/2013 Bangladesh to hang Islamist opposition leader
- 10/12/2013 15 killed in attacks in Iraq
- 10/12/2013 OIC calls for independent Palestinian state
- 10/12/2013 Foreign worker riot shocks Singapore
- 10/12/2013 Thai PM calls snap election, protesters want power now
- 10/12/2013 Iran says it improves accuracy of missiles
- 10/12/2013 Iran, Sextet experts begin to tap ways of fulfilling Geneva agreements
- 10/12/2013 5.1-magnitude quake hits near east coast of Honshu, Japan
- 10/12/2013 Iran foreign minister says nuclear deal dead if U.S. passes new sanctions
- 10/12/2013 Syria army regains Al-Nabek town near Damascus
- 09/12/2013 Syrian army retakes road needed to ship out chemical arms
- 09/12/2013 13 killed in attacks in Iraq
- 09/12/2013 Afghan President Karzai arrives in Tehran on official visit
- 09/12/2013 IAEA inspectors visit Iran’s Arak heavy water facility
- 07/12/2013 3 Gaza rockets fired at Israel explode in Palestinian territory
- 07/12/2013 Eight killed in attacks in Iraq
- 07/12/2013 12 killed in 2 road accidents in India
- 07/12/2013 Avigdor Lieberman: "Iran's policy won't change"
- 07/12/2013 Iran, powers meet next week on nuclear deal implementation
- 07/12/2013 Kerry urges Israel, Palestinians to extend 9-month talks
- 07/12/2013 Aide to North Korean leader's ousted uncle seeks asylum in South: media
- 07/12/2013 OSCE ministers endorse new dynamics on the bilateral dialogue at the highest level between Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 07/12/2013 Terrible road accident in Baku claims 4 lives - PHOTO
- 07/12/2013 Thai protest leader calls for last chance protest
- 06/12/2013 Jordan elected to take Saudi seat on U.N. Security Council
- 06/12/2013 Afghanistan won't bow to U.S. 'pressure' over security pact: official
- 06/12/2013 Egyptian police fire tear gas to end clashes in Cairo
- 06/12/2013 Yemen says 52 people killed in attack on ministry
- 06/12/2013 Iran says Geneva II conference must facilitate "free elections" in Syria
- 05/12/2013 U.S. seeks to better understand Syria Islamists
- 05/12/2013 Iraq PM in talks on Syria during Iran trip
- 05/12/2013 Libyan assembly votes to follow Islamic law
- 05/12/2013 OPEC freezes oil output ceiling
- 05/12/2013 Energy Company Probed in Uzbekistan Over Alleged Oil Theft
- 05/12/2013 Afghan ministers will not sign US pact unless demands met: Karzai
- 04/12/2013 Indian PM says Pakistan can't win a fourth war with India
- 04/12/2013 Magnitude 5.7 earthquake hits S. Philippines