Baku-APA. The Syrian army is preparing a carry out a counterattack on a Palestinian refugee camp in south Damascus after foreign-backed militants took control of the camp, APA reports quoting Press TV.
Hundreds of the members of the terrorist Free Syrian Army and al-Nusra Front are reported to have holed up in Yarmuk refugee camp over the past days, committing acts of violence against the camp’s residents.
"Soldiers have amassed in large numbers and are preparing a military operation to cleanse the camp," al-Watan newspaper said.
The United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) says the population of the camp had halved by Tuesday.
Opposition sources claimed on Sunday that government forces have bombed Yarmuk, but the Syrian military immediately rejected the claim, saying it has only targeted Salafist insurgents holed up in the camp.
Some reports say armed men affiliated to the al-Nusra Front executed a number of Palestinian civilians in the refugee camp.
Yarmouk and the districts surrounding it have borne the brunt of the turmoil in Syria over the past months. In September, at least 20 people were killed after mortar shells fired by militants landed in the Palestinian refugee camp.
Syria has been experiencing unrest since March 2011. Many people, including large numbers of army and security personnel, have been killed in the turmoil.
The Syrian government says the chaos is being orchestrated from outside the country, and there are reports that a very large number of the militants operating in the country are foreign nationals.
- 05/07/2015 Car bombs kill 11 in Baghdad at end of Ramadan fast
- 05/07/2015 9 dead in east China factory collapse
- 05/07/2015 Hamas warns PNA over detaining its West Bank members
- 05/07/2015 Abbas assigns Erekat as acting secretary general of PLO executive committee
- 05/07/2015 Despite progress in Iran nuclear talks, dispute over U.N. sanctions persists
- 04/07/2015 At least 25 Syrian al Qaeda members dead in mosque blast in Syria's Idlib: monitor
- 04/07/2015 At least 11,189 people killed in six months: Syrian NGO
- 04/07/2015 Protesters gather in Thailand to demand students release
- 03/07/2015 Two rockets fired from Egypt land in southern Israel
- 03/07/2015 Saudi-led air strikes on Yemen cities kill 16: Houthis
- 03/07/2015 6.5 magnitude quake hits China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region
- 03/07/2015 Clashes, air strikes against IS militants kill 72 in Iraq
- 03/07/2015 Saudi policeman killed in crossfire amid raids on IS members
- 03/07/2015 12 killed as 4 compartments of train fall into canal in Pakistan
- 02/07/2015 Eight dead in new Saudi-led strikes on Yemen's Sanaa: agency
- 02/07/2015 Iraqi forces say most of Baiji town recaptured from Islamic State
- 02/07/2015 36 dead, 19 missing as ferry capsizes in Philippines
- 02/07/2015 21 killed in road accident in India
- 02/07/2015 5.8-magnitude quake hits 92km SE of Kirakira, Solomon Islands
- 01/07/2015 IAEA chief to discuss nuclear issues with Iranian officials in Tehran
- 01/07/2015 141 bodies recovered from Indonesia plane crash
- 01/07/2015 Inmates riot against smoking ban breaks out at maximum prison of Melbourne
- 01/07/2015 Iraqi forces nearly recapture oil refinery town in Salahudin
- 30/06/2015 Iran, powers give themselves to July 7 to strike deal
- 30/06/2015 At least 113 people killed in Indonesian military plane crash
- 30/06/2015 Indonesian military plane crashes into hotel, killing at least 30
- 30/06/2015 Fereydoun, Salehi to join Iranian negotiators
- 29/06/2015 U.S. says absurd to suggest that it will cave in Iran talks
- 28/06/2015 More than 430 people injured in Taiwan water park explosion - UPDATED
- 28/06/2015 Lebanon foils IS bomb plot one day after triple terror hits backed by same group
- 28/06/2015 Ansarullah fighters target Saudi military bases in Jizan
- 27/06/2015 Gunmen attack western Mali town: army spokesman
- 27/06/2015 228 injured in Taiwan park fire
- 27/06/2015 Explosion in Taiwan injures over 100
- 26/06/2015 Death toll in Kuwait's mosque attack rises to 25
- 26/06/2015 Iran, P5+1 may continue talks a few days beyond deadline: US
- 26/06/2015 Quake-ravaged Nepal receives financial commitment of 4.4 bln USD for reconstruction
- 25/06/2015 ISIS militants disguised as Kurdish fighters infiltrate Syrian town
- 25/06/2015 18 killed in air strikes, clashes with IS militants in Iraq
- 24/06/2015 Islamic State mints its own 'Islamic Dinar' coins