Baku-APA. The Syrian army is preparing a carry out a counterattack on a Palestinian refugee camp in south Damascus after foreign-backed militants took control of the camp, APA reports quoting Press TV.
Hundreds of the members of the terrorist Free Syrian Army and al-Nusra Front are reported to have holed up in Yarmuk refugee camp over the past days, committing acts of violence against the camp’s residents.
"Soldiers have amassed in large numbers and are preparing a military operation to cleanse the camp," al-Watan newspaper said.
The United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) says the population of the camp had halved by Tuesday.
Opposition sources claimed on Sunday that government forces have bombed Yarmuk, but the Syrian military immediately rejected the claim, saying it has only targeted Salafist insurgents holed up in the camp.
Some reports say armed men affiliated to the al-Nusra Front executed a number of Palestinian civilians in the refugee camp.
Yarmouk and the districts surrounding it have borne the brunt of the turmoil in Syria over the past months. In September, at least 20 people were killed after mortar shells fired by militants landed in the Palestinian refugee camp.
Syria has been experiencing unrest since March 2011. Many people, including large numbers of army and security personnel, have been killed in the turmoil.
The Syrian government says the chaos is being orchestrated from outside the country, and there are reports that a very large number of the militants operating in the country are foreign nationals.
- 30/07/2014 11 arrested in 'parallel state' sweep in Turkey
- 30/07/2014 Chinese, Australian FMs discuss MH17 incident over phone
- 30/07/2014 Barrage of rockets fired on Israel: Israeli police
- 30/07/2014 Turkey delivers medical aid to Gaza
- 30/07/2014 12 killed, 6 missing in boat sinking in Central Kalimantan, Indonesia
- 29/07/2014 Heavy casualties reported in Xinjiang terror attack
- 29/07/2014 Fresh Israeli air raid on Gaza wipes out entire family
- 29/07/2014 Israeli air strikes kill 30 Palestinians in Gaza
- 29/07/2014 Subaru recalls vehicles in China
- 29/07/2014 10 Israeli soldiers killed east of Shujaiyya
- 29/07/2014 Israel to deliver devastating strike against Hamas soon - defense minister
- 28/07/2014 Death toll rises to 21 in southern Philippines ambush
- 28/07/2014 Iraq army launches anti-militant raid, kills 17
- 28/07/2014 Israeli strikes leave 10 more Palestinians dead in Gaza
- 28/07/2014 North Korea threatens nuclear strike on US
- 28/07/2014 Netanyahu says UN's call neglects Israel's security needs
- 28/07/2014 Test for Iran’s largest military ship for Caspian navy underway
- 28/07/2014 UN Security Council calls for immediate ceasefire in Gaza
- 27/07/2014 Turkey says suspends operations in Libya embassy due to security woes
- 27/07/2014 Three other Israeli soldiers die in Tel Aviv’s war on Gaza
- 27/07/2014 Rouhani: Iran supports stability, security in Iraq
- 27/07/2014 Hamas refuses to extend truce by four hours
- 26/07/2014 Israel comes under mortar fire after truce extension
- 26/07/2014 ISIL terrorists demolish shrines in Nineveh Province
- 26/07/2014 Israel agrees to extend humanitarian truce for four hours
- 26/07/2014 Car bombing kills 4 in Syria's Aleppo: activists
- 26/07/2014 Death toll rises over 1,000 in Gaza
- 26/07/2014 UNICEF: At least 192 children killed in Gaza
- 26/07/2014 Israel, Hamas agree 12-hour ceasefire in Gaza starting Saturday morning
- 26/07/2014 7 killed as airforce helicopter crashes in N.India
- 26/07/2014 16 civilians shot dead in W. Afghanistan
- 25/07/2014 Crunch time for Gaza truce talks as death toll passes 800
- 25/07/2014 Gunmen kill 2 officers in Egypt's restive Sinai
- 25/07/2014 Dual typhoons kill 64 in China
- 25/07/2014 3 Palestinians killed in West Bank violence
- 25/07/2014 Rivlin sworn in as Israel's president
- 25/07/2014 Turkey key to Gaza ceasefire, says US State Department
- 25/07/2014 Iran condemns Israel attack on Gaza’s UN-run school
- 25/07/2014 Gaza death toll approaches 800, no sign of ceasefire
- 25/07/2014 Israel aviation strikes at mosque in Palestine refugee camp