Baku-APA. The Syrian army is preparing a carry out a counterattack on a Palestinian refugee camp in south Damascus after foreign-backed militants took control of the camp, APA reports quoting Press TV.
Hundreds of the members of the terrorist Free Syrian Army and al-Nusra Front are reported to have holed up in Yarmuk refugee camp over the past days, committing acts of violence against the camp’s residents.
"Soldiers have amassed in large numbers and are preparing a military operation to cleanse the camp," al-Watan newspaper said.
The United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) says the population of the camp had halved by Tuesday.
Opposition sources claimed on Sunday that government forces have bombed Yarmuk, but the Syrian military immediately rejected the claim, saying it has only targeted Salafist insurgents holed up in the camp.
Some reports say armed men affiliated to the al-Nusra Front executed a number of Palestinian civilians in the refugee camp.
Yarmouk and the districts surrounding it have borne the brunt of the turmoil in Syria over the past months. In September, at least 20 people were killed after mortar shells fired by militants landed in the Palestinian refugee camp.
Syria has been experiencing unrest since March 2011. Many people, including large numbers of army and security personnel, have been killed in the turmoil.
The Syrian government says the chaos is being orchestrated from outside the country, and there are reports that a very large number of the militants operating in the country are foreign nationals.
- 24/05/2015 Iran allows private business owners to forge trade ties with US companies
- 24/05/2015 Iraqi MP: US makes plans to withdraw from the country
- 24/05/2015 Cypriot leaders tour divided city after talks
- 24/05/2015 Candidate for deputy was attacked in Turkey
- 23/05/2015 Over 150 die in heat wave in southern India
- 23/05/2015 8 killed, over 40 injured in C China bus accident
- 23/05/2015 UN official warns of growing ISIL threat in Libya
- 23/05/2015 Magnitude 6.8 quake strikes off Solomon Islands
- 23/05/2015 Proliferation talks fail over Mideast nuke plan
- 23/05/2015 IS claims Saudi Shiite mosque blast, countries condemn
- 23/05/2015 Islamic State expands its 'state'
- 22/05/2015 Suicide bomber kills 21 at Saudi Shi'ite mosque, Islamic State claims attack
- 22/05/2015 IS militants seize control of last Syrian border point with Iraq
- 22/05/2015 Iran says not to give up security confidentiality for nuclear deal
- 21/05/2015 Iraq forces break oil refinery siege, liberate soldiers
- 21/05/2015 Fresh Saudi air raids leave 14 people dead in Yemen
- 21/05/2015 Islamic State seizes ancient Palmyra city from Syrian forces
- 21/05/2015 Netanyahu stresses support for 2-state solution to Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- 20/05/2015 Iran's Khamenei rules out interviews with nuclear scientists
- 20/05/2015 North Korea modified submarine missile launch photos, says U.S. official
- 20/05/2015 Train rams into tractor at unmanned railroad crossing in India, killing 10 and injuring 33
- 20/05/2015 Vacuum bombs kill 20 in Syria
- 20/05/2015 China, Brazil, unveil multibillion trade, investment deals
- 20/05/2015 With nuclear deal in sight, Iran drives harder bargain in Indian trade talks
- 20/05/2015 UN Security Council condemns attack on Russia’s embassy in Damascus as terrorist act
- 20/05/2015 Western governments made strategic mistake by sanctions - Larijani
- 20/05/2015 Russia deputy foreign minister, Saudi ambassador discuss settlement of Yemeni conflict
- 20/05/2015 Rebels seize key regime base in Syria's Idlib
- 20/05/2015 Bomb outside Afghan Justice Ministry kills five, wounds dozens
- 20/05/2015 Turkey to send four-ton aid supplies to quake-hit Nepal
- 19/05/2015 5 dead, 6 unaccounted for as heavy rain lashes SW China
- 18/05/2015 Syrian insurgents battle army around military base in Idlib
- 18/05/2015 Suicide attack, gun shots kill 2, wound 7 in S. Afghanistan
- 18/05/2015 Saudi-led air strikes hit Yemen after truce expires
- 18/05/2015 Shi'ite forces move in on Iraqi city taken by Islamic State
- 17/05/2015 Strong aftershock hits Nepal, near Kathmandu: USGS
- 17/05/2015 Pakistani forces kill 4 militants, detain 6 in Karachi
- 17/05/2015 Thousands of Renault workers strike in Turkey
- 17/05/2015 ISIL seizes northern part of Syria’s ancient city of Palmyra
- 16/05/2015 8 bodies recovered from U.S. helicopter crash site; pilot identified