Syria prepares for major assault on militants camp
Baku-APA. The Syrian army is preparing a carry out a counterattack on a Palestinian refugee camp in south Damascus after foreign-backed militants took control of the camp, APA reports quoting Press TV.
Hundreds of the members of the terrorist Free Syrian Army and al-Nusra Front are reported to have holed up in Yarmuk refugee camp over the past days, committing acts of violence against the camp’s residents.
"Soldiers have amassed in large numbers and are preparing a military operation to cleanse the camp," al-Watan newspaper said.
The United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) says the population of the camp had halved by Tuesday.
Opposition sources claimed on Sunday that government forces have bombed Yarmuk, but the Syrian military immediately rejected the claim, saying it has only targeted Salafist insurgents holed up in the camp.
Some reports say armed men affiliated to the al-Nusra Front executed a number of Palestinian civilians in the refugee camp.
Yarmouk and the districts surrounding it have borne the brunt of the turmoil in Syria over the past months. In September, at least 20 people were killed after mortar shells fired by militants landed in the Palestinian refugee camp.
Syria has been experiencing unrest since March 2011. Many people, including large numbers of army and security personnel, have been killed in the turmoil.
The Syrian government says the chaos is being orchestrated from outside the country, and there are reports that a very large number of the militants operating in the country are foreign nationals.
Related news releases
- 29.05.20165 killed, 3 missing in S. China flood
- 28.05.2016Drone grounds flights at southwest China airport
- 28.05.2016Iraqi forces liberate two more villages near Fallujah
- 28.05.2016Pakistan’s Sharif to have open-heart surgery in London
- 28.05.2016Islamic State commander in Falluja killed, U.S. military says
- 27.05.2016G7 vows growth efforts as Japan's Abe warns of global crisis
- 27.05.2016Islamic State drives Syria rebels from near Turkish border
- 27.05.2016North Korea threatens retaliation after South Korean warning shots
- 27.05.2016Hiroshima memory must never fade, Obama says
- 27.05.2016G7 stands pat on anti-Russian sanctions
- 27.05.2016S. Korea navy fires warning shots after North incursion
- 26.05.2016Five dead, 92 injured in Mumbai chemical factory blast
- 26.05.2016Japan's Abe takes G7 leaders to shrine as economy tops summit agenda
- 26.05.2016Netanyahu signs coalition deal, names far-right Lieberman defense chief
- 26.05.2016Iraqi PM claims progress in Fallujah military operation
- 25.05.2016Afghan Taliban appoint a new leader, Kabul urges peace
- 25.05.2016Top Shi'ite cleric urges restraint in assault on Iraq's Falluja
- 25.05.2016Avigdor Lieberman named as Israel's defense minister
- 25.05.2016Israel: Liberman’s party to join government coalition
- 25.05.2016Taliban announces new leader
- 24.05.2016Four Turkish soldiers fall in roadside blast in Van
- 24.05.2016IS destroyed helicopters at Syrian base used by Russia: report
- 24.05.2016Syrian Kurds begin operation against ISIL
- 24.05.2016Iraqi forces clash with Islamic State near Falluja, bombard city center
- 23.05.2016Landslides kill at least 20 in SW Yemen
- 23.05.2016Bombs kill more than 140 in Syrian government-held cities
- 23.05.2016Over 100 feared killed as blasts hit Syria’s Latakia province
- 23.05.2016Iraqi PM announces start of operation to retake Falluja
- 22.05.2016Islamic State calls for attacks on the West during Ramadan in audio message
- 22.05.2016Pentagon: US airstrike targets Taliban leader Mullah Mansour
- 22.05.2016India partly repays $6.5-Bln debt to Iran for oil supplies
- 21.05.2016Islamic State threatens attacks in India
- 21.05.2016Death toll of central Pakistan road accident rises to 13
- 21.05.2016Al-Qaeda country head killed in E. Pakistan operation
- 21.05.2016India records its highest temperature ever
- 21.05.2016Hezbollah vows stronger presence in Syria after commander's death
- 21.05.201656 people killed in intensified fighting in Afghanistan
- 20.05.2016Baghdad imposes curfew after Green Zone protesters clash with police
- 20.05.2016Turkish parliament ratifies bill to lift MPs' immunity
- 20.05.2016Israeli defense minister resigns