Baku-APA. The Syrian army is preparing a carry out a counterattack on a Palestinian refugee camp in south Damascus after foreign-backed militants took control of the camp, APA reports quoting Press TV.
Hundreds of the members of the terrorist Free Syrian Army and al-Nusra Front are reported to have holed up in Yarmuk refugee camp over the past days, committing acts of violence against the camp’s residents.
"Soldiers have amassed in large numbers and are preparing a military operation to cleanse the camp," al-Watan newspaper said.
The United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) says the population of the camp had halved by Tuesday.
Opposition sources claimed on Sunday that government forces have bombed Yarmuk, but the Syrian military immediately rejected the claim, saying it has only targeted Salafist insurgents holed up in the camp.
Some reports say armed men affiliated to the al-Nusra Front executed a number of Palestinian civilians in the refugee camp.
Yarmouk and the districts surrounding it have borne the brunt of the turmoil in Syria over the past months. In September, at least 20 people were killed after mortar shells fired by militants landed in the Palestinian refugee camp.
Syria has been experiencing unrest since March 2011. Many people, including large numbers of army and security personnel, have been killed in the turmoil.
The Syrian government says the chaos is being orchestrated from outside the country, and there are reports that a very large number of the militants operating in the country are foreign nationals.
- 26/01/2015 Iranian FM to visit Armenia
- 25/01/2015 5 killed, 18 wounded in Baghdad attacks
- 25/01/2015 Saudis swear allegiance to new king, crown prince
- 24/01/2015 Iran warns new sanctions harm ongoing nuclear talks
- 24/01/2015 Japan condemns apparent IS execution, demands release of remaining hostage
- 24/01/2015 UN Special Envoy on Syria not to take part in Moscow intra-Syrian meeting
- 24/01/2015 UN says Myanmar releases more than 400 child soldiers
- 24/01/2015 Video shows IS-held Japanese hostage killed
- 24/01/2015 New sanctions against Iran or Russia to be counter-productive - Iranian foreign minister
- 24/01/2015 Five Lebanese soldiers killed in clashes near border with Syria
- 24/01/2015 Iraqi PM says West and Iran both helping against Islamic State
- 23/01/2015 At least 32 killed in airstrikes in Syria: activists
- 23/01/2015 Islamic State deadline on Japanese captives passes with no word on fate
- 23/01/2015 Yemen suffers power vacuum after president, premier quit
- 23/01/2015 Prince Muqrin announced new Crown Prince
- 23/01/2015 South Korean president names Lee One-koo as new PM
- 23/01/2015 Saudi King Abdullah Is Dead
- 23/01/2015 Civilian killed, 6 injured in Damascus mortar attack
- 23/01/2015 Earthquake jolts southeast of Turkey
- 23/01/2015 Houthis take southern Yemen TV off air
- 23/01/2015 Suicide car bomb leaves 18 dead, injured in Afghanistan
- 22/01/2015 PM: Erdogan to go ahead with Somalia visit
- 22/01/2015 Court sentences nine Bahrainis to life in prison
- 22/01/2015 Divers recover 6 more bodies near AirAsia fuselage
- 22/01/2015 Yemen president resigns - UPDATED
- 22/01/2015 Pakistan arrests local Islamic State commander
- 22/01/2015 Myanmar monk faces backlash for insulting UN envoy
- 21/01/2015 Yemen leader expected to accept demands of Houthis who defeat his guards
- 21/01/2015 Palestinian stabs seven people in Tel Aviv attack: officials
- 21/01/2015 Iran Guard vows to punish Israel for general killed in Syria
- 21/01/2015 8 killed in attacks on Baghdad’s Shia neighborhoods
- 21/01/2015 Maldivian president dismisses defense ministe
- 20/01/2015 16 injured in attack at police compound in Pakistan's Karachi
- 20/01/2015 Dutch police search house of 18-year-old Belgian raid suspect
- 20/01/2015 Iran deploys 350,000 troops at border with Iraq against IS threat
- 20/01/2015 Arab Israelis to strike after deaths of Bedouin Arabs in clashes with police
- 20/01/2015 3 Pakistani soldiers, 7 militants killed in clashes
- 20/01/2015 5.5-magnitude quake hits 20 km SSW of Manuk Mangkaw, Philippines
- 20/01/2015 Clashes kill 8 in Yemen's capital
- 20/01/2015 Iraq tries to get Babylon on world heritage list