Baku-APA. The Syrian army is preparing a carry out a counterattack on a Palestinian refugee camp in south Damascus after foreign-backed militants took control of the camp, APA reports quoting Press TV.
Hundreds of the members of the terrorist Free Syrian Army and al-Nusra Front are reported to have holed up in Yarmuk refugee camp over the past days, committing acts of violence against the camp’s residents.
"Soldiers have amassed in large numbers and are preparing a military operation to cleanse the camp," al-Watan newspaper said.
The United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) says the population of the camp had halved by Tuesday.
Opposition sources claimed on Sunday that government forces have bombed Yarmuk, but the Syrian military immediately rejected the claim, saying it has only targeted Salafist insurgents holed up in the camp.
Some reports say armed men affiliated to the al-Nusra Front executed a number of Palestinian civilians in the refugee camp.
Yarmouk and the districts surrounding it have borne the brunt of the turmoil in Syria over the past months. In September, at least 20 people were killed after mortar shells fired by militants landed in the Palestinian refugee camp.
Syria has been experiencing unrest since March 2011. Many people, including large numbers of army and security personnel, have been killed in the turmoil.
The Syrian government says the chaos is being orchestrated from outside the country, and there are reports that a very large number of the militants operating in the country are foreign nationals.
- 07/03/2014 Iran’s FM calls Israeli allegations on Gaza arms ship 'lies'
- 07/03/2014 Two more H7N9 cases in S China
- 07/03/2014 Pakistan to start direct talks with Taliban next week
- 06/03/2014 10 killed, 54 wounded in attacks in Iraq
- 06/03/2014 Arab Parliament urged to stand united against terrorism
- 06/03/2014 Secretary General of UN visits Sierra Leone
- 06/03/2014 Jordan condemns bombings in Bahrain
- 06/03/2014 Three Gulf Arab states recall envoys in rift with Qatar
- 06/03/2014 Israel seizes arms shipment
- 06/03/2014 Street fighting as India heads for April-May election
- 06/03/2014 26 killed in fresh wave of violence in Iraq
- 05/03/2014 Hamas denies connection with arms ship seized by Israel
- 05/03/2014 Iran's Guard says it has multiple warhead missiles
- 05/03/2014 US military will retain 'enduring' presence in Middle East, Persian Gulf
- 05/03/2014 Netanyahu warns on Iran, no concessions for Palestinians
- 05/03/2014 Iran condemns Bahrain violence, bombing
- 05/03/2014 Hamas ban in Egypt may complicate ties with Gaza
- 05/03/2014 Turkish FM meets Iraqi Kurdish leader
- 05/03/2014 India set to announce parliamentary election dates
- 05/03/2014 Netanyahu warns on Iran, urges no Palestinian 'excuses'
- 04/03/2014 Bahrain blast kills three policemen: Interior Ministry
- 04/03/2014 Iran says Obama remarks damage nuclear talks
- 04/03/2014 10 killed in traffic accidents in Turkey
- 03/03/2014 6 soldiers killed in ambush attack by terrorists in Yemen
- 02/03/2014 Iran to start developing project of Bushehr nuclear plant in April
- 01/03/2014 China: 27 Killed, 109 Hurt in 'Terror Attack' in Kunming City
- 01/03/2014 8 killed, 3 injured in road accident in South Pakistan
- 28/02/2014 Bus accident in Thailand kills 14, injures 40
- 28/02/2014 Iran to keep nuclear energy program intact: Zarif
- 28/02/2014 Swine flu kills 19 in Syria out of 59 suspects: health minister
- 27/02/2014 11 killed, 35 wounded in bombing attack in Iraq's capital
- 27/02/2014 Thai PM faces graft charges as standoff slips out of control
- 26/02/2014 Security Council to sanction against those undermining Yemen's transition
- 26/02/2014 21 killed, 26 injured in Iraq's violence
- 26/02/2014 Lebanon arrests a commander of Syria's Al-Nusra: security
- 26/02/2014 Several earthquakes hit Iran
- 26/02/2014 Israeli PM says world cannot let Iran achieve nuclear capabilities
- 26/02/2014 9 killed as suicide attack hits hotel in S. Afghanistan
- 25/02/2014 6 injured in blast in northeast India
- 25/02/2014 Iraq signs deal to buy arms, ammunition from Iran - document