Baku-APA. The Syrian army is preparing a carry out a counterattack on a Palestinian refugee camp in south Damascus after foreign-backed militants took control of the camp, APA reports quoting Press TV.
Hundreds of the members of the terrorist Free Syrian Army and al-Nusra Front are reported to have holed up in Yarmuk refugee camp over the past days, committing acts of violence against the camp’s residents.
"Soldiers have amassed in large numbers and are preparing a military operation to cleanse the camp," al-Watan newspaper said.
The United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) says the population of the camp had halved by Tuesday.
Opposition sources claimed on Sunday that government forces have bombed Yarmuk, but the Syrian military immediately rejected the claim, saying it has only targeted Salafist insurgents holed up in the camp.
Some reports say armed men affiliated to the al-Nusra Front executed a number of Palestinian civilians in the refugee camp.
Yarmouk and the districts surrounding it have borne the brunt of the turmoil in Syria over the past months. In September, at least 20 people were killed after mortar shells fired by militants landed in the Palestinian refugee camp.
Syria has been experiencing unrest since March 2011. Many people, including large numbers of army and security personnel, have been killed in the turmoil.
The Syrian government says the chaos is being orchestrated from outside the country, and there are reports that a very large number of the militants operating in the country are foreign nationals.
- 23/12/2014 PNA sets up committee to rule Gaza crossings
- 22/12/2014 Press-Secretary of the President: “In fact, in Israel, the situation related to journalistic activity is deplorable”
- 22/12/2014 Korea threatens US over hacking claims
- 22/12/2014 Pakistan to execute 500 terror convicts
- 22/12/2014 Pakistani interior minister: Information suggests attack like Peshawar being planned
- 20/12/2014 Pakistan forces kill 7 militants in northwest
- 20/12/2014 6 killed, 22 wounded in Baghdad attacks
- 20/12/2014 Five killed in central China house explosion
- 20/12/2014 UN asks Israel to pay Lebanon $850 M for oil spill
- 20/12/2014 Israel bombs Gaza militant base after rocket hits southern Israel
- 20/12/2014 Pakistan hangs 2 militants involved in attack on army headquarters
- 20/12/2014 Fifteen U.S.-led air strikes target Islamic State militants: task force
- 19/12/2014 Iran honors nuclear deal with powers, IAEA report shows
- 19/12/2014 Volcano erupts in eastern Indonesia
- 19/12/2014 US general says 3-year minimum needed for anti-ISIL fight
- 18/12/2014 Suicide car bomb kills 18 in Yemen's western port city
- 18/12/2014 Iran backs Russia's Syria talks initiative
- 18/12/2014 Iran, Turkey cooperation on challenges "a must": Rouhani
- 18/12/2014 Iran calls nuclear talks 'very useful'; next meeting in January
- 18/12/2014 Political directors of group of six nations and Iran end meeting in Geneva
- 17/12/2014 Iraq seeks one-year deferral on Gulf War reparations
- 17/12/2014 EU says Hamas shoud be kept on terrorist list
- 17/12/2014 16 Syrian soldiers killed in clashes with al-Qaida affiliates in Aleppo
- 17/12/2014 ISIL executes 150 Iraqi women for not marrying militants
- 17/12/2014 Two car bombings kill 40 in central Yemen
- 17/12/2014 The Embassy of Azerbaijan in Pakistan strongly condemns terror attack on a school at Peshawar
- 16/12/2014 Turkey: Day of mourning for Pakistan school massacre
- 16/12/2014 Iraqi forces kill 13 ISIL militants in central Iraq
- 16/12/2014 141 including 132 students killed in Pakistan's Peshawar school attack - UPDATED
- 16/12/2014 130 killed in Taliban attack on Pakistan military-run school - UPDATED
- 16/12/2014 4000 chickens culled after bird flu confirmed in Japan
- 16/12/2014 UN: Syria conflict toll is nearly 200,000
- 16/12/2014 Saudi cuts off hand of convicted Yemeni thief
- 16/12/2014 Iran's Rouhani says will try to clinch nuclear deal as talks with U.S. resume
- 16/12/2014 Qaeda takes two Syrian bases in major blow to regime
- 16/12/2014 Top separatist Junaidi shot dead in south Yemen
- 15/12/2014 Netanyahu years continue surge in settlements
- 15/12/2014 Palestinian U.N. statehood bid at heart of Kerry-Netanyahu talks
- 15/12/2014 Police storm Sydney cafe, two dead, siege over
- 15/12/2014 Unknown man takes hostage dozens of people in Sydney cafe