Baku-APA. The Syrian army is preparing a carry out a counterattack on a Palestinian refugee camp in south Damascus after foreign-backed militants took control of the camp, APA reports quoting Press TV.
Hundreds of the members of the terrorist Free Syrian Army and al-Nusra Front are reported to have holed up in Yarmuk refugee camp over the past days, committing acts of violence against the camp’s residents.
"Soldiers have amassed in large numbers and are preparing a military operation to cleanse the camp," al-Watan newspaper said.
The United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) says the population of the camp had halved by Tuesday.
Opposition sources claimed on Sunday that government forces have bombed Yarmuk, but the Syrian military immediately rejected the claim, saying it has only targeted Salafist insurgents holed up in the camp.
Some reports say armed men affiliated to the al-Nusra Front executed a number of Palestinian civilians in the refugee camp.
Yarmouk and the districts surrounding it have borne the brunt of the turmoil in Syria over the past months. In September, at least 20 people were killed after mortar shells fired by militants landed in the Palestinian refugee camp.
Syria has been experiencing unrest since March 2011. Many people, including large numbers of army and security personnel, have been killed in the turmoil.
The Syrian government says the chaos is being orchestrated from outside the country, and there are reports that a very large number of the militants operating in the country are foreign nationals.
- 16/04/2014 A ship with 350 passengers on board issues distress signal off South Korean coast
- 16/04/2014 Israeli, Palestinian negotiators to meet on Wednesday, U.S. says
- 16/04/2014 5.6-magnitude quake hits Southeast of Easter Island - USGS
- 15/04/2014 US airstrike kills woman, two children in E. Afghanistan
- 15/04/2014 11 killed in separate violent attacks across Iraq
- 15/04/2014 Malaysia jet search area too deep for submarine
- 15/04/2014 Syrian army seizes ancient Christian town near Lebanese border
- 15/04/2014 Police seize record number of illegal arms
- 15/04/2014 Israel minister warns Kerry over 'surrender' to Iran
- 13/04/2014 Eight dead, 14 hurt in fatal highway accident in S. Philippines
- 13/04/2014 Tsunami warning cancelled after earthquake hits near Solomon Islands
- 13/04/2014 15 injured after train derails in NE China
- 13/04/2014 Security forces kill 14 Taliban militants across Afghanistan
- 13/04/2014 8.3-magnitude quake hits off Kirakira, Solomon Islands
- 12/04/2014 Maoist rebels kill 14 in anti-election campaign in India
- 12/04/2014 Palestinians call for sanctions on Israel in retaliation
- 12/04/2014 21 killed in violent attacks across Iraq
- 12/04/2014 UN: Ambassador scandal between US and Iran bears no relation to this organization
- 12/04/2014 Iran rejects European Parliament invitation
- 12/04/2014 UAE: Paramedic dies from MERS, others infected
- 12/04/2014 Australian PM says searchers confident of position of MH370's black boxes
- 11/04/2014 S.Korea, U.S. hold largest-ever air drill
- 11/04/2014 Palestinian FM rejects Israeli economic sanctions
- 11/04/2014 Malaysia Airlines search zeroing in after latest pings
- 11/04/2014 16 injured as blast hits Pakistan's eastern city Lahore
- 11/04/2014 51 rebels killed during infighting in east Syria
- 10/04/2014 25 killed in separate violent attacks across Iraq
- 10/04/2014 Russia, Iran speak out for Syrian settlement based on international law - FM
- 10/04/2014 Arab FMs hold Israel responsible for peace deadlock
- 10/04/2014 Frontrunner in Afghan vote rules out coalition government
- 10/04/2014 Netanyahu orders cutback in contacts with Palestinian Authority
- 10/04/2014 Iranian nuclear talks cover all issues needed for final agreement
- 10/04/2014 Blasts in central Syria city of Homs kill 25
- 09/04/2014 PNA reacts as Israel halts bilateral cooperation
- 09/04/2014 DPRK holds parliamentary session, forms new government
- 09/04/2014 Natural disasters kill 74 in first quarter
- 09/04/2014 Pakistani Taliban claim lack of progress in peace talks
- 09/04/2014 Iran, Group 5+1 second round of talks ends
- 09/04/2014 Turkey's PM condemns attack on opposition leader
- 08/04/2014 43 killed in violent attacks across Iraq