Baku-APA. The Syrian army is preparing a carry out a counterattack on a Palestinian refugee camp in south Damascus after foreign-backed militants took control of the camp, APA reports quoting Press TV.
Hundreds of the members of the terrorist Free Syrian Army and al-Nusra Front are reported to have holed up in Yarmuk refugee camp over the past days, committing acts of violence against the camp’s residents.
"Soldiers have amassed in large numbers and are preparing a military operation to cleanse the camp," al-Watan newspaper said.
The United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) says the population of the camp had halved by Tuesday.
Opposition sources claimed on Sunday that government forces have bombed Yarmuk, but the Syrian military immediately rejected the claim, saying it has only targeted Salafist insurgents holed up in the camp.
Some reports say armed men affiliated to the al-Nusra Front executed a number of Palestinian civilians in the refugee camp.
Yarmouk and the districts surrounding it have borne the brunt of the turmoil in Syria over the past months. In September, at least 20 people were killed after mortar shells fired by militants landed in the Palestinian refugee camp.
Syria has been experiencing unrest since March 2011. Many people, including large numbers of army and security personnel, have been killed in the turmoil.
The Syrian government says the chaos is being orchestrated from outside the country, and there are reports that a very large number of the militants operating in the country are foreign nationals.
- 22/09/2014 Turkey struggles with spillover as Syrian Kurds battle Islamic State
- 22/09/2014 Ashraf Ghani Ahmadzai named new president of Afghanistan
- 21/09/2014 Turkmen refugees in danger of starvation: Turkmen MP
- 21/09/2014 Yemen cease-fire deal to be signed: UN envoy
- 21/09/2014 Rescued Turkish consul general describes ISIL captivity
- 21/09/2014 Over 60,000 Syrians fleeing ISIL enter Turkey
- 21/09/2014 Video shows militants executing another Lebanese soldier
- 20/09/2014 Yemen television building catches fire
- 20/09/2014 One dead, 100 sick after drinking Bangladesh factory supplied water
- 20/09/2014 Iran, P5+1 work in different formats, raise levels of security
- 20/09/2014 71 killed in clashes between army, rebels in Yemeni capital
- 20/09/2014 Syria militants kill captive Lebanese soldier, bomb kills two
- 19/09/2014 Kurdish President Barzani: 'Use Every Means' to Protect City of Kobani
- 19/09/2014 French jets strike in Iraq, expanding U.S.-led campaign against Islamic State
- 19/09/2014 US airstrikes are not enough, says Iraqi vice president
- 19/09/2014 Nearly 40 people killed in Yemen clashes
- 18/09/2014 New ISIL video shows previously unseen UK hostage
- 18/09/2014 55 militans killed in Afghanistan, Pakistan
- 18/09/2014 Up to 100 children die from tainted measles vaccine in Syria
- 18/09/2014 Iranian FM meets EU Foreign Policy Chief
- 18/09/2014 Japan to decide on more sanctions against Russia
- 18/09/2014 Islamic State ordered 'demonstration killings' in Australia: PM
- 18/09/2014 Japan to announce more sanctions against Russia on Friday - Yomiuri
- 18/09/2014 Iran president to attend UN General Assembly
- 18/09/2014 30 killed in fierce clashes across Iraq
- 17/09/2014 Iraqi Kurdistan oil heads to Asia, in talks with China
- 17/09/2014 Iraqi army launches offensive on Islamic State in three cities
- 17/09/2014 Emir assures Merkel Qatar doesn't fund extremists in Syria, Iraq
- 17/09/2014 ISIL's Mosul head killed in Iraq: KRG
- 17/09/2014 Syrian warplane bombing 'kills 20 civilians' in Homs
- 16/09/2014 ISIL shoot down Syrian aircraft, kill 8
- 16/09/2014 Six injured in S. Philippines bomb blast
- 16/09/2014 Key Qaeda branches urge united jihadist front against coalition
- 16/09/2014 Suicide bomber targets foreign convoy near US Embassy in Kabul
- 16/09/2014 Islamic State group issues new curriculum in Iraq
- 16/09/2014 ICRC provides emergency relief for thousands displaced in Syria
- 15/09/2014 Iraq to get humanitarian, military aid to fight against IS militants
- 15/09/2014 Abbas turns to UN Security Council for settling Palestinian issue
- 15/09/2014 Iraqi President: “We faced the most horrific terrorist group of the history”
- 14/09/2014 Islamic State video purports to show beheading of UK hostage