Baku-APA. The Syrian army is preparing a carry out a counterattack on a Palestinian refugee camp in south Damascus after foreign-backed militants took control of the camp, APA reports quoting Press TV.
Hundreds of the members of the terrorist Free Syrian Army and al-Nusra Front are reported to have holed up in Yarmuk refugee camp over the past days, committing acts of violence against the camp’s residents.
"Soldiers have amassed in large numbers and are preparing a military operation to cleanse the camp," al-Watan newspaper said.
The United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) says the population of the camp had halved by Tuesday.
Opposition sources claimed on Sunday that government forces have bombed Yarmuk, but the Syrian military immediately rejected the claim, saying it has only targeted Salafist insurgents holed up in the camp.
Some reports say armed men affiliated to the al-Nusra Front executed a number of Palestinian civilians in the refugee camp.
Yarmouk and the districts surrounding it have borne the brunt of the turmoil in Syria over the past months. In September, at least 20 people were killed after mortar shells fired by militants landed in the Palestinian refugee camp.
Syria has been experiencing unrest since March 2011. Many people, including large numbers of army and security personnel, have been killed in the turmoil.
The Syrian government says the chaos is being orchestrated from outside the country, and there are reports that a very large number of the militants operating in the country are foreign nationals.
- 30/08/2015 Iran nuclear deal will 'fuel terrorism': Netanyahu
- 30/08/2015 Huge Malaysia rally for Najib's resignation enters 2nd day
- 30/08/2015 24 killed in bomb attacks, clashes with IS in Iraq's Anbar
- 29/08/2015 Iran's Rouhani says military power not affected by nuclear deal: state TV
- 29/08/2015 7 killed, 2 injured in China paper mill accident
- 29/08/2015 Philippines: 3 Abu Sayyaf killed, 15 injured in fighting
- 29/08/2015 Saudi-led air strikes kill 10 people in central Yemen: officials
- 28/08/2015 Eleven killed in India-Pakistan border shelling
- 28/08/2015 Japan Launches Newest Izumo-Class Helicopter Carrier
- 28/08/2015 Greece top judge takes over as interim prime minister
- 28/08/2015 MERS virus kills 19 in seven days in Saudi: Ministry
- 27/08/2015 IAEA to establish first nuclear fuel bank in Kazakhstan
- 27/08/2015 One civilian dead, several injured in east of Turkey
- 27/08/2015 Pakistani court orders arrest of ex-PM Gilani over graft charges
- 27/08/2015 ISIL seizes five Syrian border villages
- 27/08/2015 Panasonic to cut 1,300 jobs
- 27/08/2015 Iran urges US to release 19 detainees
- 27/08/2015 U.S. reports 20 air strikes against Islamic State in Iraq and Syria
- 26/08/2015 5 killed in clashes in western Indian state
- 26/08/2015 22 IS militants killed in airstrikes in Anbar province
- 26/08/2015 Magnitude 5.2 Earthquake Rocks Southeast Japan
- 26/08/2015 US, Turkey finalize ‘details’ of Mideast air campaign
- 26/08/2015 Taliban torch civilian homes in central Afghanistan
- 26/08/2015 Road accident kills 3, injures 7 in NW China
- 26/08/2015 Magnitude 4.6 quake strikes two cities in northern Tehran Province
- 25/08/2015 International Atomic Energy Agency approves plan of Iran’s nuclear inspections
- 25/08/2015 Saudi Arabia reports 7 more deaths from MERS
- 25/08/2015 Two killed in clashes in south Lebanon refugee camp
- 25/08/2015 Islamic State claims to kill 30 for sodomy
- 25/08/2015 Six militants, army colonel killed in Pakistan clash
- 24/08/2015 North Korea announces agreement with South
- 24/08/2015 Britain says Iran too powerful to leave in isolation
- 23/08/2015 Iran, Britain FMs to meet in Tehran
- 23/08/2015 North, South Korea officials to resume talks later Sunday - South's presidential office
- 23/08/2015 Police moves to break up protests over garbage crisis in Lebanese capital
- 23/08/2015 Palestinian President Abbas resigns from PLO leader ship
- 23/08/2015 Violence in Central African Republic town kills 10
- 22/08/2015 Pakistani court disqualifies parliament speaker over alleged polls fraud
- 22/08/2015 Barrel bombs fall on Syria’s Douma, killing 50: Source
- 22/08/2015 Attack on NATO convoy in Kabul kills 3