Baku-APA. The Syrian army is preparing a carry out a counterattack on a Palestinian refugee camp in south Damascus after foreign-backed militants took control of the camp, APA reports quoting Press TV.
Hundreds of the members of the terrorist Free Syrian Army and al-Nusra Front are reported to have holed up in Yarmuk refugee camp over the past days, committing acts of violence against the camp’s residents.
"Soldiers have amassed in large numbers and are preparing a military operation to cleanse the camp," al-Watan newspaper said.
The United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) says the population of the camp had halved by Tuesday.
Opposition sources claimed on Sunday that government forces have bombed Yarmuk, but the Syrian military immediately rejected the claim, saying it has only targeted Salafist insurgents holed up in the camp.
Some reports say armed men affiliated to the al-Nusra Front executed a number of Palestinian civilians in the refugee camp.
Yarmouk and the districts surrounding it have borne the brunt of the turmoil in Syria over the past months. In September, at least 20 people were killed after mortar shells fired by militants landed in the Palestinian refugee camp.
Syria has been experiencing unrest since March 2011. Many people, including large numbers of army and security personnel, have been killed in the turmoil.
The Syrian government says the chaos is being orchestrated from outside the country, and there are reports that a very large number of the militants operating in the country are foreign nationals.
- 01/10/2014 Turkish gov't files motion to Parliament to fight ISIL
- 01/10/2014 Suspected renegade Muslim rebels kill 2 soldiers in S. Philippines
- 30/09/2014 UK reports first anti-ISIS airstrikes in Iraq
- 30/09/2014 Afghanistan, US sign long-delayed security agreement
- 30/09/2014 Iran offers military aid to Lebanon: Official
- 30/09/2014 13 killed in car bombs in Shiite provinces in Iraq
- 30/09/2014 Israel's Netanyahu: Iran poses greater threat than Islamic State
- 30/09/2014 At least 36 feared dead on Japanese volcano, search called off
- 30/09/2014 World Bank Analyst: Rouhani presents new image of Iran, Iranians
- 30/09/2014 ISIS "threat to the whole world": Dutch PM
- 30/09/2014 Flood-wrecked Kashmir Muslims still struggling with consequences
- 30/09/2014 Turkey calls for refugee safe zone in Syria
- 30/09/2014 Iran, P5+1 can come to agreement by year end - Rouhani
- 29/09/2014 27 killed in air strikes against militants in Iraq
- 29/09/2014 Turkey deploys tanks to Syrian border
- 29/09/2014 Spanish diplomat killed in Sudan
- 28/09/2014 5.2-magnitude quake hits 14km S of Farkhar, Afghanistan - USGS
- 28/09/2014 Iran, Russia FMs says nuclear talks must continue
- 28/09/2014 ISIL tries to regain Kobani near Turkish-Syrian border
- 28/09/2014 16.77 mln cars recalled in China since 2004
- 28/09/2014 Thousands rally in Hong Kong as democracy campaign heats up
- 27/09/2014 Indian chief minister convicted in corruption case
- 27/09/2014 DPRK slams S. Korean president's speech at UN
- 27/09/2014 Iran to counter IS militants in Iraq if threatened: commander
- 27/09/2014 US embassy in Sanaa attacked with missile
- 27/09/2014 1 dead, 16 unconscious after volcano eruption in Japan
- 27/09/2014 Six killed in primary school stampede in southwest China
- 27/09/2014 IAEA conference urges DPRK to abandon its nuclear weapon program
- 27/09/2014 Syrian troops kill 24 al-Qaida militants near Damascus
- 26/09/2014 Lawsuit accuses Indian PM of role in 2002 violence
- 26/09/2014 Islamic State tightens grip on Syrian border town, shells hit Turkey
- 26/09/2014 North Korean TV acknowledges leader Kim Jong Un's health problems
- 26/09/2014 4 school kids die in S. China knife attack
- 26/09/2014 ISIL planning subway attacks in US, France: Iraqi PM
- 26/09/2014 Turkey denies nuclear weapons plans
- 26/09/2014 3 killed, 8 injured as police convoy attacked in Pakistan's Karachi
- 25/09/2014 Iran’s Rohani criticises West’s blunders in Middle East
- 25/09/2014 Hamas, Fatah reach partial agreement in Egypt
- 25/09/2014 Clashes in eastern Iraq leave 22 dead
- 25/09/2014 40 rioters dead in Luntai county violence in Xinjiang