Baku-APA. The Syrian army is preparing a carry out a counterattack on a Palestinian refugee camp in south Damascus after foreign-backed militants took control of the camp, APA reports quoting Press TV.
Hundreds of the members of the terrorist Free Syrian Army and al-Nusra Front are reported to have holed up in Yarmuk refugee camp over the past days, committing acts of violence against the camp’s residents.
"Soldiers have amassed in large numbers and are preparing a military operation to cleanse the camp," al-Watan newspaper said.
The United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) says the population of the camp had halved by Tuesday.
Opposition sources claimed on Sunday that government forces have bombed Yarmuk, but the Syrian military immediately rejected the claim, saying it has only targeted Salafist insurgents holed up in the camp.
Some reports say armed men affiliated to the al-Nusra Front executed a number of Palestinian civilians in the refugee camp.
Yarmouk and the districts surrounding it have borne the brunt of the turmoil in Syria over the past months. In September, at least 20 people were killed after mortar shells fired by militants landed in the Palestinian refugee camp.
Syria has been experiencing unrest since March 2011. Many people, including large numbers of army and security personnel, have been killed in the turmoil.
The Syrian government says the chaos is being orchestrated from outside the country, and there are reports that a very large number of the militants operating in the country are foreign nationals.
- 30/03/2015 Gunmen assassinate Pakistan's army officer
- 30/03/2015 30 IS militants killed in Iraqi clashes, airstrikes
- 30/03/2015 Security forces kill five militants in SW Pakistan
- 30/03/2015 Iran, powers explore nuclear compromises, Israel alarmed
- 29/03/2015 Fighting and air strikes across Yemen, dialogue remains distant
- 29/03/2015 3 killed in suicide attack in Afghan capital
- 29/03/2015 Air strikes cripple Yemen capital’s airport
- 29/03/2015 Turkey denies asking to attend Arab League summit
- 29/03/2015 5.8 magnitude quake strikes off Gorontalo, Indonesia
- 29/03/2015 Voting for presidential election begins in Uzbekistan
- 29/03/2015 Iran's Rafsanjani condemns Saudi-led airstrikes in Yemen
- 29/03/2015 Iraqi forces kill 74 Daesh militants
- 29/03/2015 Death toll in central China mine flood rises to
- 28/03/2015 Tripartite meeting on Iran’s nuclear issue held in Lausanne
- 28/03/2015 Zarif: Iran makes political decision to get into agreement with P5+1
- 28/03/2015 Dozens killed in explosions at arms depot in Yemen's Aden
- 28/03/2015 Yemeni President accuses Iran of arming Houthis
- 28/03/2015 Saudi king says Yemen campaign to continue until achieves targets
- 28/03/2015 Eight security personnel, 4 militants killed in Pakistan
- 28/03/2015 Former Yemeni President Demands for Saudi-led Coalition
- 28/03/2015 Lebanese army seize strategic border sites from militants
- 28/03/2015 UAE warplanes took part in Yemen strikes: coalition
- 28/03/2015 Iraq paramilitaries decide Tikrit pullback
- 28/03/2015 8 children wounded by cluster bomb in south Lebanon
- 27/03/2015 Yemen Houthi rebels advance despite Saudi-led air strikes
- 27/03/2015 Warships move in key strait as airstrikes widen in Yemen
- 27/03/2015 Iran accuses Turkish leader Erdogan of fomenting regional strife
- 27/03/2015 Tribes kill 21 Shiite rebels in south Yemen: local official
- 27/03/2015 Iran FM urges talks on Yemen
- 27/03/2015 Anti-Houthi operation to last days, not weeks – Yemen FM
- 27/03/2015 Yemen's Hadi arrives in Saudi Arabia
- 27/03/2015 5.0-magnitude quake hits 74km SE of Pondaguitan, Philippines
- 27/03/2015 Rouhani urges not losing exceptional nuclear chance easily
- 27/03/2015 Saudi says to tighten security in vital establishments
- 26/03/2015 Pakistan says it will respond to any threat to Saudi Arabia
- 26/03/2015 Iraq: 35, including 28 Daesh militants killed in Saladin
- 26/03/2015 Houthi TV says dozens of civilian casualties in Sanaa air strike
- 26/03/2015 Vietnam industrial zone accident kills 14, 30 injured
- 26/03/2015 Saudi Arabia, allies launch air campaign in Yemen against Houthi fighters
- 26/03/2015 Israeli president assigns Netanyahu to form next government