Baku-APA. The Syrian army is preparing a carry out a counterattack on a Palestinian refugee camp in south Damascus after foreign-backed militants took control of the camp, APA reports quoting Press TV.
Hundreds of the members of the terrorist Free Syrian Army and al-Nusra Front are reported to have holed up in Yarmuk refugee camp over the past days, committing acts of violence against the camp’s residents.
"Soldiers have amassed in large numbers and are preparing a military operation to cleanse the camp," al-Watan newspaper said.
The United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) says the population of the camp had halved by Tuesday.
Opposition sources claimed on Sunday that government forces have bombed Yarmuk, but the Syrian military immediately rejected the claim, saying it has only targeted Salafist insurgents holed up in the camp.
Some reports say armed men affiliated to the al-Nusra Front executed a number of Palestinian civilians in the refugee camp.
Yarmouk and the districts surrounding it have borne the brunt of the turmoil in Syria over the past months. In September, at least 20 people were killed after mortar shells fired by militants landed in the Palestinian refugee camp.
Syria has been experiencing unrest since March 2011. Many people, including large numbers of army and security personnel, have been killed in the turmoil.
The Syrian government says the chaos is being orchestrated from outside the country, and there are reports that a very large number of the militants operating in the country are foreign nationals.
- 03/09/2014 Tremor shakes Iran's western province
- 02/09/2014 US aid arrives in Kurdish Iraq
- 02/09/2014 11 arrested for producing toxic capsules in E. China
- 02/09/2014 UN chief welcomes lifting of siege of Iraqi town
- 02/09/2014 11 dead, 27 missing in SW China rainstorms
- 02/09/2014 8 dead, 24 missing in SW China rainstorms
- 02/09/2014 Turkey denies claims on Mosul staff captured by IS
- 02/09/2014 US Mideast failures prompt new Iran sanctions: MP
- 02/09/2014 Iranian FM hopes nuclear issue can be resolved by November 24
- 02/09/2014 H5N6 bird flu reported in NE China
- 02/09/2014 Storm alert raised for north China
- 01/09/2014 US drone attack leaves 3 dead in Afghanistan
- 01/09/2014 15 more injured as clashes restart in Pakistan's Islamabad
- 31/08/2014 Security Council demands "immediate, unconditional release" of detained UN peacekeepers in Golan Heights
- 31/08/2014 8 killed, 308 injured in clashes in Pakistan's protest
- 31/08/2014 Houthi fighters kill 10 pro-govt. militants in Yemen
- 30/08/2014 32 militants killed in NW Pakistan's air strike
- 30/08/2014 Islamist gains in Syria alarm some Assad allies
- 30/08/2014 India, Pakistan border guards hold 2nd flag meeting in Kashmir
- 29/08/2014 Iraqi forces kill several ISIL terrorists near Baghdad
- 29/08/2014 Abbas seeks immediate int'l recognition of Palestinian state
- 29/08/2014 Israeli police find body in search for missing U.S. student
- 29/08/2014 IS executes scores of Syrian troops in new atrocity
- 28/08/2014 43 UN peacekeepers detained by "armed elements" in Golan Heights: spokesman
- 28/08/2014 Islamic State executes more than 160 Syria troops: monitor
- 28/08/2014 Yemeni president warns Houthi protesters
- 28/08/2014 Radical militants seize Syria crossing near Israel: activists
- 27/08/2014 Nuclear chief: Iran ready to launch new generation of centrifuges
- 27/08/2014 Malaysia police arrest Nepalese workers over rioting
- 27/08/2014 Pakistani opposition party stops talks with gov't
- 26/08/2014 DPRK denounces U.S. over Ferguson shooting
- 26/08/2014 ISIS Demands $6.6M Ransom for 26-Year-Old American Woman
- 26/08/2014 Palestinians accept Egypt’s proposal to conclude 30-day truce
- 26/08/2014 Israeli aircrafts strike Palestinian parliament building
- 26/08/2014 3 Chinese workers missing in Turkey: Chinese embassy
- 26/08/2014 Two car bombs kill at least 11 in mainly Shi'ite part of Baghdad
- 26/08/2014 Iraq premier-designate: militias must follow state
- 25/08/2014 Iraqi crisis: Suicide blast targets Baghdad Shia mosque
- 25/08/2014 Iranian Foreign Minister: “ISIL is a threat against international security”
- 25/08/2014 Iran to give response to recent aggression made by Israeli spy drone