Baku-APA. The Syrian army is preparing a carry out a counterattack on a Palestinian refugee camp in south Damascus after foreign-backed militants took control of the camp, APA reports quoting Press TV.
Hundreds of the members of the terrorist Free Syrian Army and al-Nusra Front are reported to have holed up in Yarmuk refugee camp over the past days, committing acts of violence against the camp’s residents.
"Soldiers have amassed in large numbers and are preparing a military operation to cleanse the camp," al-Watan newspaper said.
The United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) says the population of the camp had halved by Tuesday.
Opposition sources claimed on Sunday that government forces have bombed Yarmuk, but the Syrian military immediately rejected the claim, saying it has only targeted Salafist insurgents holed up in the camp.
Some reports say armed men affiliated to the al-Nusra Front executed a number of Palestinian civilians in the refugee camp.
Yarmouk and the districts surrounding it have borne the brunt of the turmoil in Syria over the past months. In September, at least 20 people were killed after mortar shells fired by militants landed in the Palestinian refugee camp.
Syria has been experiencing unrest since March 2011. Many people, including large numbers of army and security personnel, have been killed in the turmoil.
The Syrian government says the chaos is being orchestrated from outside the country, and there are reports that a very large number of the militants operating in the country are foreign nationals.
- 19/04/2015 Pakistani PM condemns deadly bomb attacks in Afghanistan
- 19/04/2015 ISIS claims blast near U.S. Consulate in Irbil, Iraq
- 19/04/2015 Two dead, five injured in China nightclub fire
- 18/04/2015 Iran starts testing Iraq gas pipeline
- 18/04/2015 45 people killed in Saudi airstrikes on Yemen’s Sa'ada
- 18/04/2015 11 killed, 134 injured during Myanmar water festival period in Yangon
- 18/04/2015 6.8-magnitude quake hits off Sigave, Wallis and Futuna
- 18/04/2015 Iran submits four-point Yemen peace plan to United Nations
- 18/04/2015 Saddam aide, Iraqi insurgent leader al-Douri reported killed
- 18/04/2015 North Korea warns U.S. envoy of 'bigger mishap' than a knife attack
- 18/04/2015 Car bomb kills three outside U.S. consulate - UPDATED
- 17/04/2015 Rouhani: G5+1 needs final nuclear deal more than Iran does
- 17/04/2015 Child killed, 7 injured in building collapse in Indian capital
- 16/04/2015 S-300 missile system serves defense purposes for Iran: Putin
- 16/04/2015 Al-Qaeda seizes provincial airport in southeast Yemen: official
- 16/04/2015 10 killed in house collapse in Bangladesh capital
- 16/04/2015 Iraqi forces launch offensive to free north Tikrit from IS
- 15/04/2015 Conference dedicated to the genocide of Azerbaijanis held in Swedish Parliament
- 15/04/2015 One of Al Qaeda's top spiritual leaders has been killed in Yemen
- 15/04/2015 2 killed, 48 injured after climbing structure collapses in east China
- 14/04/2015 23 injured in Asiana Airlines landing incident in Japan
- 14/04/2015 SKorea responds to Japan military pact with caution
- 14/04/2015 22 security personnel killed in N. Afghanistan
- 13/04/2015 Iran calls for new Yemeni government, increasing tension with Saudis
- 12/04/2015 Three Saudi Arabian Officers Killed in Houthi's Attack on Border Checkpoint
- 12/04/2015 7 policemen killed by left-wing rebels in India
- 12/04/2015 3 Saudi soldiers killed near Yemen border
- 12/04/2015 Russian Navy ship evacuates from Yemen 308 people of 19 nationalities, including 5 Azerbaijanis
- 12/04/2015 Turkish police seize 600 kilograms of heroin in east
- 12/04/2015 Iran to launch new submarine soon
- 11/04/2015 Militants in motorcycles open fire on Pakistani labor camp, killing 20
- 11/04/2015 Abbas Arakhchi: "Iran will not allow foreign inspectors to military facilities"
- 11/04/2015 Saudi Arabia denies access to its airspace for Russian flights heading to Yemen - sources
- 11/04/2015 Car bomb explodes in Syria's Homs, killing child
- 10/04/2015 Iran deal could stumble on sensitive nuclear monitoring
- 10/04/2015 Speaker urges support for nuclear talks
- 10/04/2015 Forces kill 47 militants in NW Pakistan
- 09/04/2015 Senior Pakistani Taliban leaders join Islamic State
- 09/04/2015 Turkey welcomes Palestine's ICC membership
- 09/04/2015 Iran will sign final nuclear deal only if sanctions lifted: Rouhani