Eurovision fans were confused after TRT had stated that they may consider withdrawal in 2013. Then, everyone calmed down when TRT started to put lots of effort trying to decide which artist should represent Turkey in Malmö. However, today it's been officially announced that, Turkey will not take part in the 2013 edition of Eurovision Song Contest.
After Poland, Portugal, Slovakia and Bosnia & Herzegovina withdrew (and Cyprus first announced to do so, but later changed its mind), TRT also announced that Turkey will not participate in next year’s contest.
In August 2012, Director General at TRT said that Turkey was considering withdrawal in 2013. However, this was not taken much seriously among the public, as TRT started to organize meetings with an "Advisory Board" which gathered music proffessionals in order to discuss, who would be the right participant for Turkey. Last week, some rumours spred out that the meetings with the 2013 representative were close to an end, and the name would be announced very soon. Today, both the media and the fans were shocked by the withdrawal of Turkey.
Unlike the other withdrawn countries, Turkey's reason is not financial. TRT stated that, this is a reaction to the injustice of the competition, like a "boycott". In the explanation they made, TRT claimed that the contest was unfair due to the latest rule in the voting system; the 50-50 combination of jury voting and televoting. It is thought that the involvement of jury had a downstream effect on Turkey's points. The broadcaster also finds the "big 5 direct qualifiers" unfair.
Turkey will most likely participate in the 2014 contest, as TRT told that they'll take the opinions of Advisory Board into consideration to develop a strategy for the next years, and hopefully end up with better and more effective conclusions.
Many Turkish Eurovision fans are however thinking the withdrawel has mostly to do with the latest rule change making the producer decide the running order of the participating songs. Something that can have a big influence on the winner.
Turkey has been in the contest since 1975, and they were active except for the years 1976, 1977,1979, and 1994. They won for the first time in 2003, with the song Everyway That I Can by Sertab Erener, their only victory until now.
In 2012, Turkey was represented with the song Love Me Back by Can Bonomo, which finished the contest at a respectable 7th place.
- 25/10/2014 Ahmet Davutoglu appoints journalist of Armenian origin, Etyen Mahçupyan Senior Advisor
- 25/10/2014 Heavy rains bring life to a standstill in Athens
- 25/10/2014 8 people detained in southeastern Latvian city for fixing football matches
- 24/10/2014 Merkel, Putin discuss Ukraine situation over phone
- 24/10/2014 Estonia report firmly holds Russian airspace "violation"
- 24/10/2014 EU summit approves new European Commission members
- 24/10/2014 Pipeline explosion in Germany killed one, injured 26
- 24/10/2014 EU asks Italy to clarify 2015 budget
- 23/10/2014 Danish MPs urge suspension of Turkey's EU accession bid
- 23/10/2014 Barroso urges EU member states to invest more, stick to reforms
- 23/10/2014 Danish court frees 10 accused of funding PKK
- 22/10/2014 OSCE Permanent Council extends its mission’s mandate on Russia-Ukraine border
- 22/10/2014 Germany includes Georgia in list of dangerous countries to visit
- 22/10/2014 Pope Francis to make three-day visit to Turkey
- 22/10/2014 15 new members elected to UN Human Rights Council
- 21/10/2014 Britain sends drones to fly over Syria
- 21/10/2014 Lithuania, Sweden call for EU unity over security challenges
- 21/10/2014 Lufthansa strike cancels some 1500 flights
- 21/10/2014 EU prepares possible coordinator on Ebola, says foreign policy chief
- 21/10/2014 Germany, France agree to boost investment
- 21/10/2014 Turkish crime rate increases 400 percent in 20 years
- 21/10/2014 Polish foreign minister: EU is not planning to soften sanctions against Russia
- 20/10/2014 Visiting Merkel praises Slovakia´s effort to help Ukraine with gas
- 20/10/2014 Estonia concerned over suspected submarine off Stockholm: report
- 20/10/2014 Ebola coordinator to be appointed this week
- 20/10/2014 EU bans jet fuel supplies to Syria
- 19/10/2014 Several people are quarantined because of a possible Ebola virus in Georgia
- 18/10/2014 Turkish Cyprus sends letter to UN to reopen peace talks
- 18/10/2014 Turkish PM: Settlement process is our project
- 18/10/2014 Four men charged with terror plots against police in London
- 18/10/2014 Slovenian economy minister resigns
- 17/10/2014 Turkey launches new strategy for EU accession
- 17/10/2014 Pilots at Lufthansa’s Germanwings protest retirement plan
- 17/10/2014 Italian Prime Minister: Europe must stimulate growth
- 17/10/2014 Ebola risk increases in Portugal if epidemic spreads to Guinea-Bissau
- 17/10/2014 Russia satisfied with Vienna round of P5+1-Iran talks - Russian deputy foreign minister
- 17/10/2014 Spain elected non-permanent member of UN Security Council
- 16/10/2014 UK to use drones against ISIL in Iraq: Hammond
- 16/10/2014 Portuguese police seize 600 kg of cocaine from yacht
- 16/10/2014 Merkel calls for Europe-Asia cooperation to fight IS