Eurovision fans were confused after TRT had stated that they may consider withdrawal in 2013. Then, everyone calmed down when TRT started to put lots of effort trying to decide which artist should represent Turkey in Malmö. However, today it's been officially announced that, Turkey will not take part in the 2013 edition of Eurovision Song Contest.
After Poland, Portugal, Slovakia and Bosnia & Herzegovina withdrew (and Cyprus first announced to do so, but later changed its mind), TRT also announced that Turkey will not participate in next year’s contest.
In August 2012, Director General at TRT said that Turkey was considering withdrawal in 2013. However, this was not taken much seriously among the public, as TRT started to organize meetings with an "Advisory Board" which gathered music proffessionals in order to discuss, who would be the right participant for Turkey. Last week, some rumours spred out that the meetings with the 2013 representative were close to an end, and the name would be announced very soon. Today, both the media and the fans were shocked by the withdrawal of Turkey.
Unlike the other withdrawn countries, Turkey's reason is not financial. TRT stated that, this is a reaction to the injustice of the competition, like a "boycott". In the explanation they made, TRT claimed that the contest was unfair due to the latest rule in the voting system; the 50-50 combination of jury voting and televoting. It is thought that the involvement of jury had a downstream effect on Turkey's points. The broadcaster also finds the "big 5 direct qualifiers" unfair.
Turkey will most likely participate in the 2014 contest, as TRT told that they'll take the opinions of Advisory Board into consideration to develop a strategy for the next years, and hopefully end up with better and more effective conclusions.
Many Turkish Eurovision fans are however thinking the withdrawel has mostly to do with the latest rule change making the producer decide the running order of the participating songs. Something that can have a big influence on the winner.
Turkey has been in the contest since 1975, and they were active except for the years 1976, 1977,1979, and 1994. They won for the first time in 2003, with the song Everyway That I Can by Sertab Erener, their only victory until now.
In 2012, Turkey was represented with the song Love Me Back by Can Bonomo, which finished the contest at a respectable 7th place.
- 26/05/2015 Greece says wants to make debt payments but needs aid urgently
- 26/05/2015 German MP linked to Ukraine denied entry to Russia
- 26/05/2015 Forged money banknotes in large quantities seized by police
- 25/05/2015 3 killed in cement factory blast in Ankara
- 24/05/2015 Morsi’s death sentence protested in Paris
- 24/05/2015 Swiss ISIL-affiliate plots to assassinate German president
- 24/05/2015 Turks hold protest in Belgium
- 24/05/2015 German army to recruit first imam
- 22/05/2015 Donald Tusk: "Eastern Partnership is not directed against Russia”
- 22/05/2015 Eastern Partnership program is not a tool of EU enlargement - Merkel
- 21/05/2015 The Eastern Partnership summit started in Riga
- 21/05/2015 Merkel: 'EU's Eastern Partnership not against Russia'
- 21/05/2015 OSCE Chairperson meets with Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- 21/05/2015 The Guardian: EU Eastern Partnership summit will highlight failure of plan to check Russia
- 20/05/2015 Johannes Hahn: "We have formulated a strategic partnership with Azerbaijan"
- 20/05/2015 German train drivers go on strike
- 20/05/2015 Erdogan phones Crimean Tatar leader to mark exile
- 17/05/2015 Germany train crash kills 2, injures at least 20
- 17/05/2015 German FM says EU member states need to share refugee burden
- 16/05/2015 Italy's Coast Guard rescues 2,452 migrants in the Mediterranean
- 15/05/2015 Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus' deputy PM resigns
- 14/05/2015 Senate of Spain rejects bill to recognize so-called Armenian genocide
- 14/05/2015 Erdogan urges Europe to take in more migrants
- 14/05/2015 Vatican says has agreed first treaty with State of Palestine
- 14/05/2015 Three dead, four injured in Italy's fireworks plant blast
- 13/05/2015 7 freeze to death in Turkey
- 13/05/2015 NATO foreign ministers’ meeting kicks off in Antalya
- 13/05/2015 EU mission helicopter crashes in Kosovo, one injured
- 13/05/2015 Turkish, Greek FMs want Cyprus solution in 2015
- 13/05/2015 British PM promises "different gov't" in first all-Conservative cabinet meeting
- 12/05/2015 Russian political expert: "Nagorno Karabakh will never be part of Armenia"
- 12/05/2015 Kerry meets Putin to gauge flexibility on Ukraine, Syria
- 11/05/2015 Putin, Kerry to discuss Ukraine, Syria, Iran, U.S. says
- 11/05/2015 Merkel defends staff against growing criticism in spy scandal
- 11/05/2015 Car hits Azerbaijani citizen in Georgia, driver flees
- 11/05/2015 Turkish ship attacked off Libya coast
- 10/05/2015 Airbus A400M military transporter crashes on test flight, killing four
- 10/05/2015 Turkey's 1980 military coup leader dies
- 09/05/2015 Turkey's PM 'denies plan to intervene in Syria'
- 09/05/2015 Military plane crash in Spain kills crew, forces closure of Seville airport