Eurovision fans were confused after TRT had stated that they may consider withdrawal in 2013. Then, everyone calmed down when TRT started to put lots of effort trying to decide which artist should represent Turkey in Malmö. However, today it's been officially announced that, Turkey will not take part in the 2013 edition of Eurovision Song Contest.
After Poland, Portugal, Slovakia and Bosnia & Herzegovina withdrew (and Cyprus first announced to do so, but later changed its mind), TRT also announced that Turkey will not participate in next year’s contest.
In August 2012, Director General at TRT said that Turkey was considering withdrawal in 2013. However, this was not taken much seriously among the public, as TRT started to organize meetings with an "Advisory Board" which gathered music proffessionals in order to discuss, who would be the right participant for Turkey. Last week, some rumours spred out that the meetings with the 2013 representative were close to an end, and the name would be announced very soon. Today, both the media and the fans were shocked by the withdrawal of Turkey.
Unlike the other withdrawn countries, Turkey's reason is not financial. TRT stated that, this is a reaction to the injustice of the competition, like a "boycott". In the explanation they made, TRT claimed that the contest was unfair due to the latest rule in the voting system; the 50-50 combination of jury voting and televoting. It is thought that the involvement of jury had a downstream effect on Turkey's points. The broadcaster also finds the "big 5 direct qualifiers" unfair.
Turkey will most likely participate in the 2014 contest, as TRT told that they'll take the opinions of Advisory Board into consideration to develop a strategy for the next years, and hopefully end up with better and more effective conclusions.
Many Turkish Eurovision fans are however thinking the withdrawel has mostly to do with the latest rule change making the producer decide the running order of the participating songs. Something that can have a big influence on the winner.
Turkey has been in the contest since 1975, and they were active except for the years 1976, 1977,1979, and 1994. They won for the first time in 2003, with the song Everyway That I Can by Sertab Erener, their only victory until now.
In 2012, Turkey was represented with the song Love Me Back by Can Bonomo, which finished the contest at a respectable 7th place.
- 20/08/2014 Iceland orders evacuation due to possible volcano eruption
- 20/08/2014 Suspected illegal immigrants found in UK truck
- 20/08/2014 Tallinn to host Davis Cup game instead of Kiev
- 20/08/2014 Italy considers sending arms to Iraq's Kurds
- 19/08/2014 Presidents of Ukraine, Russia, Germany and France are expected to meet
- 19/08/2014 Merkel, Poroshenko hopes top-level talks on Ukraine to follow 4-partite meeting in Berlin
- 19/08/2014 Germany's Merkel to visit Ukraine on August 23
- 19/08/2014 20 people rescued by N Ireland police
- 18/08/2014 Polish army preparing for new large-scale purchase
- 18/08/2014 Norway FM calls for end to Gaza siege
- 18/08/2014 Russian, Ukrainian, German and French FMs hold talks on Ukraine crisis in Berlin
- 17/08/2014 Foreign Ministers of Russia, Germany, France, Ukraine to Meet for Talks – Kremlin
- 16/08/2014 NATO Secretary General: ‘Russia’s aggressive policy against Ukraine makes us rethink about security’
- 16/08/2014 German Mertesacker retires from national team
- 16/08/2014 NATO chief visits Denmark
- 16/08/2014 EU Council asks third countries not to replace European food on Russian market
- 15/08/2014 EU confirms Russia-EU-Ukraine meeting to be held on September 12
- 15/08/2014 Slovak president, PM differ on Russian sanctions
- 15/08/2014 EU urges Kiev to closely coordinate gas transit from Russia
- 15/08/2014 New Turkish PM to be decided next week
- 14/08/2014 EU says to take market stabilisation measure over Russian ban
- 14/08/2014 Finland to impose no sanctions on Russia to respond to its food imports ban - PM
- 14/08/2014 Brazilian presidential candidate Campos killed in plane crash
- 13/08/2014 No troop movement on Russian-Ukrainian border - OSCE observers
- 13/08/2014 Merkel wants to continue the dialogue with Putin on the Ukrainian crisis
- 13/08/2014 Germany, France, USA companies to take part in international arms exhibition in Zhukovsky
- 13/08/2014 Estonians anxious to deal with Russian sanctions
- 13/08/2014 German, French defense ministers discuss Iraq, Ukraine
- 12/08/2014 Germany says "No" to military aid to Iraqi Kurdish forces
- 12/08/2014 Swiss police: 3 Israelis killed in bus-train crash
- 12/08/2014 Germany demands extraordinary conference on Russian food imports embargo
- 11/08/2014 Turkey’s ruling party to hold extraordinary general assembly on August 27
- 11/08/2014 Outgoing President Gül signals return as AKP seeks road map for post-Erdoğan era
- 11/08/2014 Recep Tayyip Erdogan: “Let's start a new social reconciliation”
- 10/08/2014 Turkey electing its 12th president - PHOTOSESSION
- 10/08/2014 Portuguese protest against BES bank bailout plan
- 10/08/2014 UK firefighters begin new strike over pensions
- 08/08/2014 British military planes to drop food aid in Iraq
- 08/08/2014 Turkey gives sanctuary to hundreds of Yazidis fleeing Iraq
- 08/08/2014 Estonia gov't strains over Russian food contra-sanction