Eurovision fans were confused after TRT had stated that they may consider withdrawal in 2013. Then, everyone calmed down when TRT started to put lots of effort trying to decide which artist should represent Turkey in Malmö. However, today it's been officially announced that, Turkey will not take part in the 2013 edition of Eurovision Song Contest.
After Poland, Portugal, Slovakia and Bosnia & Herzegovina withdrew (and Cyprus first announced to do so, but later changed its mind), TRT also announced that Turkey will not participate in next year’s contest.
In August 2012, Director General at TRT said that Turkey was considering withdrawal in 2013. However, this was not taken much seriously among the public, as TRT started to organize meetings with an "Advisory Board" which gathered music proffessionals in order to discuss, who would be the right participant for Turkey. Last week, some rumours spred out that the meetings with the 2013 representative were close to an end, and the name would be announced very soon. Today, both the media and the fans were shocked by the withdrawal of Turkey.
Unlike the other withdrawn countries, Turkey's reason is not financial. TRT stated that, this is a reaction to the injustice of the competition, like a "boycott". In the explanation they made, TRT claimed that the contest was unfair due to the latest rule in the voting system; the 50-50 combination of jury voting and televoting. It is thought that the involvement of jury had a downstream effect on Turkey's points. The broadcaster also finds the "big 5 direct qualifiers" unfair.
Turkey will most likely participate in the 2014 contest, as TRT told that they'll take the opinions of Advisory Board into consideration to develop a strategy for the next years, and hopefully end up with better and more effective conclusions.
Many Turkish Eurovision fans are however thinking the withdrawel has mostly to do with the latest rule change making the producer decide the running order of the participating songs. Something that can have a big influence on the winner.
Turkey has been in the contest since 1975, and they were active except for the years 1976, 1977,1979, and 1994. They won for the first time in 2003, with the song Everyway That I Can by Sertab Erener, their only victory until now.
In 2012, Turkey was represented with the song Love Me Back by Can Bonomo, which finished the contest at a respectable 7th place.
- 02/04/2015 Germany: Merkel urges separatists to follow Minsk deal
- 02/04/2015 French FM returning to Lausanne
- 02/04/2015 Clashes in İstanbul after police kill courthouse hostage-takers
- 01/04/2015 Accession into EEU doesn’t rule out good relations with EU — Merkel
- 01/04/2015 Iran takes pause in talks, no document expected today — European source
- 01/04/2015 Central London fire causes 2,000 people evacuation
- 01/04/2015 Turkish police shoot two attackers outside İstanbul police headquarter, one dead - PHOTOSESSION
- 01/04/2015 EU launches fund to support power projects in East Africa
- 01/04/2015 Lavrov, Zarif claim breakthrough in Iran nuclear talks
- 01/04/2015 Erdogan: Istanbul hostage situation 'no minor issue'
- 01/04/2015 Turkish prosecutor dies after Istanbul courthouse standoff
- 01/04/2015 Turkey hosting 1.7mn Syrian refugees: Minister
- 01/04/2015 Prosecutor heavily injured, two militants killed in İstanbul courthouse hostage shootout
- 31/03/2015 Turkish court acquits hundreds in 'Sledgehammer' case
- 31/03/2015 Turkey imposes media ban on Istanbul hostage crisis
- 31/03/2015 90 percent of electricity restored to Istanbul
- 31/03/2015 PACE spring session agenda made public
- 31/03/2015 Lithuanian delegation not to attend events on 100th anniversary of "Armenian genocide" in Yerevan
- 31/03/2015 Terror attack investigated as version of power failure in Turkey
- 31/03/2015 Slovenian president calls Turkey its 'Muslim ally'
- 30/03/2015 Nicolas Sarkozy's UMP party wins local French elections
- 30/03/2015 French conservatives win key local voting, gov't left loses
- 30/03/2015 Four more Galileo satellites to be launched in 2015: EU
- 29/03/2015 'Death threats' made against BBC's Tony Hall investigated
- 29/03/2015 Full verbatim report of Crashed Airbus A-320’s black box found
- 29/03/2015 Lufthansa lacks doctors to help pilots
- 29/03/2015 Iran, US resume talks in Lausanne
- 29/03/2015 French, German FMs join Iran nuke talks in Lausanne
- 28/03/2015 German FM: Iran nuke talks 'like climbing Swiss Alps'
- 28/03/2015 Hospital confirms to have Germanwings co-pilot as patient
- 28/03/2015 Concluding Meeting on Nuclear Program to Be Held in Geneva
- 28/03/2015 France says will propose UN Security Council draft on Israel
- 27/03/2015 EU weighs new methods to coax Israel back to peace talks
- 27/03/2015 Obama, Erdogan discuss Daesh
- 26/03/2015 Germany to do everything to support investigation: Merkel
- 26/03/2015 Saakashvili supporters hold protest action in Tbilisi - PHOTO
- 26/03/2015 Outer shell of second black box found: Hollande
- 26/03/2015 Greece fails in bid for early cash release, reforms awaited
- 26/03/2015 One dead as blast hits magazine building in Istanbul
- 25/03/2015 Skirmish occur between PKK and Turkish army after a long break