Eurovision fans were confused after TRT had stated that they may consider withdrawal in 2013. Then, everyone calmed down when TRT started to put lots of effort trying to decide which artist should represent Turkey in Malmö. However, today it's been officially announced that, Turkey will not take part in the 2013 edition of Eurovision Song Contest.
After Poland, Portugal, Slovakia and Bosnia & Herzegovina withdrew (and Cyprus first announced to do so, but later changed its mind), TRT also announced that Turkey will not participate in next year’s contest.
In August 2012, Director General at TRT said that Turkey was considering withdrawal in 2013. However, this was not taken much seriously among the public, as TRT started to organize meetings with an "Advisory Board" which gathered music proffessionals in order to discuss, who would be the right participant for Turkey. Last week, some rumours spred out that the meetings with the 2013 representative were close to an end, and the name would be announced very soon. Today, both the media and the fans were shocked by the withdrawal of Turkey.
Unlike the other withdrawn countries, Turkey's reason is not financial. TRT stated that, this is a reaction to the injustice of the competition, like a "boycott". In the explanation they made, TRT claimed that the contest was unfair due to the latest rule in the voting system; the 50-50 combination of jury voting and televoting. It is thought that the involvement of jury had a downstream effect on Turkey's points. The broadcaster also finds the "big 5 direct qualifiers" unfair.
Turkey will most likely participate in the 2014 contest, as TRT told that they'll take the opinions of Advisory Board into consideration to develop a strategy for the next years, and hopefully end up with better and more effective conclusions.
Many Turkish Eurovision fans are however thinking the withdrawel has mostly to do with the latest rule change making the producer decide the running order of the participating songs. Something that can have a big influence on the winner.
Turkey has been in the contest since 1975, and they were active except for the years 1976, 1977,1979, and 1994. They won for the first time in 2003, with the song Everyway That I Can by Sertab Erener, their only victory until now.
In 2012, Turkey was represented with the song Love Me Back by Can Bonomo, which finished the contest at a respectable 7th place.
- 02/09/2014 Merkel addresses parliament on weapon deliveries to Iraq
- 02/09/2014 Netherlands joins new NATO mission to Afghanistan
- 01/09/2014 Rescue operation continues after Paris building blast
- 31/08/2014 Slovakia says it may veto new EU sanctions against Russia
- 31/08/2014 European Parliament to send observers to elections in Ukraine
- 31/08/2014 EU leader call for stronger sanctions against Russia
- 31/08/2014 Mogherini of Italy appointed EU foreign policy chief
- 30/08/2014 Tusk elected new president of Council of Europe
- 30/08/2014 Finnish Prime Minister: “EU leaders won't set new sanctions on Russia”
- 30/08/2014 Leaders congratulate Turkey's new PM
- 30/08/2014 Iranian student ordered to leave Norway
- 30/08/2014 Oslo mayor regrets using illegal labor
- 30/08/2014 UN Security Council calls for protection of humanitarian personnel
- 30/08/2014 Turkey, Germany ministers discuss spying claims
- 29/08/2014 Poland, Ukraine bar overflight by Russian defence minister's plane
- 29/08/2014 OSCE advance team arrives in Mariupol, starts monitoring
- 29/08/2014 Turkey's new government announced
- 29/08/2014 Police chief of Armenia’s Artik city misappropriates large quantities of food and cigarettes under guise of assisting army
- 29/08/2014 First human trials of Ebola vaccine to start next week
- 29/08/2014 EU expresses concerns over economic confidence falling in August
- 28/08/2014 U.S. air strikes on Syria would face formidable obstacles
- 28/08/2014 Sweden authorizes NATO troops to enter its territory
- 28/08/2014 Recep Tayyip Erdogan officially takes office as 12th Turkish president - PHOTOSESSION - UPDATED
- 28/08/2014 Switzerland convenes urgent OSCE Permanent Council meeting on Ukraine
- 28/08/2014 Danish military to combat against ISIL in Iraq
- 28/08/2014 Germany to decide on military aid for Iraq on Sunday: minister
- 28/08/2014 French FM dismisses claims of Turkish support to IS
- 27/08/2014 Putin, Merkel speak for soonest possible termination of bloodshed in Ukraine
- 27/08/2014 Air France urged to halt flights to Ebola-stricken Freetown
- 27/08/2014 Turkey’s ruling party elects Davutoğlu as new chair
- 27/08/2014 EU offered Ukraine and the RF to reach the agreement on gas, without the Stockholm court
- 27/08/2014 Obama says eradicating Islamic State will not be easy
- 27/08/2014 Latvia to hold military exercises, to be joined by 1000 foreign forces
- 27/08/2014 252 arrested during Notting Hill Carnival
- 27/08/2014 NATO chief welcomes last ISAF command handover
- 26/08/2014 Rasmussen: ‘NATO does not recognize the election held in Abkhazia’
- 25/08/2014 Swiss economy minister postpones visit to Russia over situation in Ukraine
- 25/08/2014 France's Hollande ejects rebel minister Montebourg from cabinet
- 25/08/2014 Merkel to back Spanish economy minister to lead Eurogroup
- 25/08/2014 EU expects Minsk meeting to pave way for new gas talks