World première of Khojaly 613 by Pierre Thilloy moves a Parisian audience
The concert was organised by the French office of The European Azerbaijan Society (TEAS) in order to commemorate the 613 civilians killed on 26 February 1992 in the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly, Nagorno-Karabakh, when it was forcibly occupied by Armenian armed forces, supported by the No. 366 Soviet Infantry Regiment. The evening featured the London-based Orion Orchestra under the baton of the leading conductor and composer Laurent Petitgirard, TEAS told APA.
The centrepiece of the evening was the world première of a moving new piece, Khojaly 613, composed by Pierre Thilloy, dedicated to the victims of the Khojaly tragedy. The work was written for violin, balaban, percussion and string orchestra. Featured was the evocative sound of the balaban, an Azerbaijani wind instrument, performed by the internationally-acclaimed virtuoso Shirzad Fataliyev. The violinist was Sabina Rakcheyeva, the first Azerbaijani graduate from the Juilliard School in New York and Cultural Advisor, TEAS.
This outstanding work ably captured the horror of the Khojaly Massacre, featuring Azerbaijani folk tunes, including Lachin and Sari Gelin, set against a rich orchestral backdrop of military march rhythms and the sounds of conflict. The violin and balaban – which has a plaintive quality, akin to the human voice – represented the soul of the Azerbaijani people that fateful night, with the violin solo section gradually reaching a furious tempo until coming to a sudden, unexpected halt.
Writing about the piece, the composer said: “The Khojaly Massacre ranks amongst one of the most vivid and nightmarish visions in the collective memory of the Azerbaijani people, stemming from the dark, insidious Nagorno-Karabakh conflict that continues to harm an entire people.
“There is a mechanism, commonly called ‘memory’, which, far from providing vulgar pathos, is a bulwark against oblivion, and operates as a timeless sentinel of dignity. ‘Memory’ has always been a creative banner for composers and artists, who, beyond any political or revolutionary context, are able to remind others of milestones, troubled moments, and dramas, which touch the very depths of their soul.”
Eliza Pieter, Head, TEAS France commented: “One has to forgive in order to be able to rebuild peace, but one should never forget. It is imperative to remember, without having the desire for revenge. This has been achieved by the people of France and Germany in order to restore peace. Surely music is the best way of remembering the Khojaly victims?”
The programme also included the Nizami Symphony by the Azerbaijani composer Fikret Amirov (1922–84), which was inspired by the work of the 12th century Azerbaijani poet Nizami Ganjavi. This piece demonstrated his synthesis of western classical techniques and glorious, passionate Azerbaijani mugham, known as ‘symphonic mugham’.
This emotional evening also included Sir Edward Elgar’s elegiac Introduction and Allegro for Strings, a multilayered symphonic poem, featuring polyphonic interwoven themes and a fragment of a Welsh traditional song. As an encore, the string orchestra performed a piece of meditative music by Laurent Petitgirard, written for a section of the film Ecrire contre l'oubli (Lest We Forget).
This beautiful music and evocative setting had an undeniable impact on all those in attendance, making them aware of the terrible events of 21 years ago, and of the ongoing plight of the Azerbaijanis who remain unable to return to their homes and lands.
Related news releases
- 26.08.2016Warlick: “NKR independence” not recognized by any country including Armenia
- 25.08.2016Azerbaijan to blacklist all those who will illegally visit its occupied lands to mark 25th anniversary of “NKR independence”
- 25.08.2016Moscow: US unlikely to give way to Russian leadership in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 24.08.2016Armenian troops set fire to occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 23.08.2016German MP: Fulfillment of UN Security Council resolutions on Karabakh are unambiguous
- 23.08.201623 years passed since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli and Jabrayil districts by Armenian armed forces
- 22.08.2016Azerbaijan Naval Forces begin command and staff exercise
- 20.08.2016Hikmet Hajiyev: We call on world youths not to succumb to lie challenges of Armenians on Nagorno Karabakh
- 16.08.2016Warlick welcomes Putin’s personal involvement in efforts to settle Karabakh conflict
- 16.08.2016American journalist’s book on Khojaly genocide presented in California
- 15.08.2016James Warlick: We value opportunity to enlist Turkey’s support for our efforts
- 15.08.2016Turkey’s ministry of education gives instructions of non-participation in int’l conference on Karabakh in Armenia
- 15.08.2016No specific plans on meeting for August - James Warlick
- 15.08.2016Situation in occupied Azerbaijani territories put on agenda of UN Security Council’s 71st session
- 12.08.2016Ambassador: Turkey has always strongly supported Azerbaijani position on Karabakh
- 11.08.2016Russian and French FMs discuss the situation in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 10.08.2016Putin: Russia interested in elimination of tension between Baku and Yerevan
- 10.08.2016Putin to inform Sargsyan about discussions held in Baku on Karabakh conflict
- 10.08.2016Baku. Malahat Najafova – APA. Turkey has nothing to do in the settlement of the Nagorno Karabakh conflict.
- 10.08.2016Turkish FM: Russia, Azerbaijan wants Turkey to contribute to Karabakh issue
- 08.08.2016Ilham Aliyev: "The existing status quo in Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is unacceptable"
- 08.08.2016Azerbaijani president thanks Putin for active role in Karabakh peace settlement
- 08.08.2016Russia to continue seeking compromise solution to Nagorno Karabakh conflict - Putin
- 07.08.2016President: Iran supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 07.08.2016Azerbaijani president informs Iranian counterpart about Karabakh negotiations
- 05.08.2016Putin: Russia isn’t trying push other mediators aside in settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 05.08.2016Putin: We are not trying to impose some ready made solutions upon Armenia and Azerbaijan
- 03.08.2016OSCE Minsk Group expects parties to comply with obligations
- 03.08.2016Co-chairs considering possibility of organizing next meeting of presidents
- 02.08.2016Hikmat Hajiyev: Sooner or later, Azerbaijan’s sovereignty over Nagorno Karabakh will be fully ensured
- 29.07.2016Russia, US mull Karabakh conflict settlement prospects
- 29.07.2016Karabakh conflict settlement to be at core of Italy’s 2018 OSCE chairmanship agenda
- 29.07.2016Lack of adequate international reaction to Armenia’s illegal actions contributes to growing sense of impunity, says Azerbaijan
- 27.07.2016Azerbaijan, Armenia agree on extension of OSCE monitoring group in Nagorno-Karabakh – Warlick
- 25.07.2016Bundestag member: Occupation of Azerbaijani territory has to be ended
- 23.07.201623 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Aghdam district by Armenia
- 22.07.2016Azerbaijan says ready to grant Nagorno-Karabakh highest autonomous status within its territorial integrity
- 22.07.2016Warlick: OSCE MG committed to continuing dialogue on Karabakh conflict at highest level
- 21.07.2016US, NATO and all European countries must support Azerbaijan: opinion
- 20.07.2016OSCE MG postpones meetings on Karabakh conflict settlement in Ankara
- 22.02.2013Azerbaijani Deputy PM: “OSCE and the other international organizations, which have issued positive opinion on the Armenian presidential elections, should be ashamed”
- 22.02.2013Four soldiers of Armenian army rendered harmless over last three days
- 23.02.2013Member of the Board of Directors of USAN: “White House has been responding to all petitions”
- 22.02.2013Offered to officially record monument to Khojaly genocide victims
- 22.02.2013The official representative of the U.S. State Department commented elections in Armenia and Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 21.02.2013Senator Nathalie Goulet: “The policy of resettling Syrian Armenians in the occupied Azerbaijani territories must be condemned”