World première of Khojaly 613 by Pierre Thilloy moves a Parisian audience
The concert was organised by the French office of The European Azerbaijan Society (TEAS) in order to commemorate the 613 civilians killed on 26 February 1992 in the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly, Nagorno-Karabakh, when it was forcibly occupied by Armenian armed forces, supported by the No. 366 Soviet Infantry Regiment. The evening featured the London-based Orion Orchestra under the baton of the leading conductor and composer Laurent Petitgirard, TEAS told APA.
The centrepiece of the evening was the world première of a moving new piece, Khojaly 613, composed by Pierre Thilloy, dedicated to the victims of the Khojaly tragedy. The work was written for violin, balaban, percussion and string orchestra. Featured was the evocative sound of the balaban, an Azerbaijani wind instrument, performed by the internationally-acclaimed virtuoso Shirzad Fataliyev. The violinist was Sabina Rakcheyeva, the first Azerbaijani graduate from the Juilliard School in New York and Cultural Advisor, TEAS.
This outstanding work ably captured the horror of the Khojaly Massacre, featuring Azerbaijani folk tunes, including Lachin and Sari Gelin, set against a rich orchestral backdrop of military march rhythms and the sounds of conflict. The violin and balaban – which has a plaintive quality, akin to the human voice – represented the soul of the Azerbaijani people that fateful night, with the violin solo section gradually reaching a furious tempo until coming to a sudden, unexpected halt.
Writing about the piece, the composer said: “The Khojaly Massacre ranks amongst one of the most vivid and nightmarish visions in the collective memory of the Azerbaijani people, stemming from the dark, insidious Nagorno-Karabakh conflict that continues to harm an entire people.
“There is a mechanism, commonly called ‘memory’, which, far from providing vulgar pathos, is a bulwark against oblivion, and operates as a timeless sentinel of dignity. ‘Memory’ has always been a creative banner for composers and artists, who, beyond any political or revolutionary context, are able to remind others of milestones, troubled moments, and dramas, which touch the very depths of their soul.”
Eliza Pieter, Head, TEAS France commented: “One has to forgive in order to be able to rebuild peace, but one should never forget. It is imperative to remember, without having the desire for revenge. This has been achieved by the people of France and Germany in order to restore peace. Surely music is the best way of remembering the Khojaly victims?”
The programme also included the Nizami Symphony by the Azerbaijani composer Fikret Amirov (1922–84), which was inspired by the work of the 12th century Azerbaijani poet Nizami Ganjavi. This piece demonstrated his synthesis of western classical techniques and glorious, passionate Azerbaijani mugham, known as ‘symphonic mugham’.
This emotional evening also included Sir Edward Elgar’s elegiac Introduction and Allegro for Strings, a multilayered symphonic poem, featuring polyphonic interwoven themes and a fragment of a Welsh traditional song. As an encore, the string orchestra performed a piece of meditative music by Laurent Petitgirard, written for a section of the film Ecrire contre l'oubli (Lest We Forget).
This beautiful music and evocative setting had an undeniable impact on all those in attendance, making them aware of the terrible events of 21 years ago, and of the ongoing plight of the Azerbaijanis who remain unable to return to their homes and lands.
Related news releases
- 18.01.2017Armenian soldier killed in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 18.01.2017Kurz says Russia can play key role in resolving crises in OSCE area
- 17.01.2017Azerbaijan's territorial integrity must be restored: Bangladeshi ambassador
- 17.01.2017Azerbaijani FM: If Russia engages in Karabakh conflict settlement with all seriousness, Armenian troops’ withdrawal from occupied lands will be ensured
- 17.01.2017Madat Guliyev meets with ICRC Azerbaijan Delegation head in connection with return of soldier Chingiz Gurbanov's body
- 17.01.2017Armenian soldier wounded in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 17.01.2017Lavrov: No consensus in OSCE on investigation of incidents in Karabakh - UPDATED
- 17.01.2017Malena Mard: EU supports Minsk Group efforts
- 16.01.2017Armenian soldier killed in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 15.01.2017Azerbaijani serviceman killed during Armenian provocation
- 15.01.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 22 times
- 13.01.2017Baku expresses discontent over so-called regime's participation in Sochi KVN festival
- 13.01.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform issues another statement
- 12.01.2017Andrzej Kasprzyk’s mandate extended
- 12.01.2017Russia reacts to Armenia’s reluctance to return Azerbaijani soldier’s body
- 12.01.2017OSCE chair, Russian FM to mull Karabakh conflict
- 12.01.2017EUSR Office backs calls for return of killed Azerbaijani soldier
- 12.01.2017Kurz says no military solution to conflicts in OSCE area
- 11.01.2017Ombudsperson asks ICRC president for help retrieve Azerbaijani soldier’s body
- 11.01.2017Azerbaijan welcomes efforts by ICRC, OSCE MG to return soldier’s body
- 11.01.2017Russia opposes re-escalation of Karabakh conflict: lawmaker
- 11.01.2017Hikmat Hajiyev: 1994-1995 ceasefire agreement includes timetable for Armenian troops’ withdrawal from occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 11.01.2017Ilham Aliyev: Former CSTO leaders made ‘a big political mistake’ by taking pro-Armenian stance
- 10.01.2017ICRC: Body of Azerbaijani soldier should be returned as soon as possible
- 10.01.2017Ilham Aliyev: Myth created by Armenia over years destroyed during April battles
- 10.01.2017Hoagland: OSCE MG co-chairs continue to encourage Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet
- 10.01.2017Azerbaijani envoy stresses need to involve EU to be more vocal about Karabakh conflict settlement
- 10.01.2017Hoagland: OSCE MG co-chairs looking for appropriate time to visit region
- 10.01.2017OSCE MG Co-Chairs urge to return body of Azerbaijani serviceman without delay
- 09.01.2017ICRC: Talks underway for return of Azerbaijani soldier’s body
- 08.01.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 44 times
- 06.01.2017Azerbaijan urges int’l organizations to take steps for return of soldier’s body
- 05.01.2017US response to petition urged for return of territories surrounding Nagorno-Karabakh to Azerbaijan’s control: ACSDA president
- 03.01.2017Armenian leadership trying to prevent progress in negotiation process – Azerbaijani FM
- 03.01.2017Armenia ignores appeals to return Azerbaijani soldier’s body
- 01.01.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 92 times
- 31.12.2016Nagorno-Karabakh conflict: Armenian military resorted to numerous provocations in 2016
- 31.12.2016Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 1300 times in one month
- 31.12.2016New Year address from Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 31.12.2016Azerbaijan says Armenia unreasonably delays return of soldier’s corpse
- 22.02.2013Azerbaijani Deputy PM: “OSCE and the other international organizations, which have issued positive opinion on the Armenian presidential elections, should be ashamed”
- 22.02.2013Four soldiers of Armenian army rendered harmless over last three days
- 23.02.2013Member of the Board of Directors of USAN: “White House has been responding to all petitions”
- 22.02.2013Offered to officially record monument to Khojaly genocide victims
- 22.02.2013The official representative of the U.S. State Department commented elections in Armenia and Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 21.02.2013Senator Nathalie Goulet: “The policy of resettling Syrian Armenians in the occupied Azerbaijani territories must be condemned”