Ukrainian embassy: Any referendum in Azerbaijan can only be held under national legislation
Any referendum in Azerbaijan can only be held in accordance with the national legislation of this country, the Ukrainian Embassy in Azerbaijan told APA.
The embassy said that at the joint press conference with his Azerbaijani counterpart Ilham Aliyev in Baku on 13-14 July 2016, Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko reiterated Ukraine’s official stance regarding the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
“President Poroshenko noted that Ukraine recognizes Azerbaijan’s internationally recognized borders and sovereignty and that any referendum in Azerbaijan can only be held in accordance with the national legislation of this country,” said the embassy.
The separatist regime in the occupied Azerbaijani region of Nagorno-Karabakh is set to hold a “constitutional referendum” on February 20.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 28.02.2017Eurasia Research Center joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 28.02.2017Hoagland: Latest incident on contact line of Armenian, Azerbaijani troops underscores necessity to immediately resume talks
- 28.02.2017Minsk Group failed to ensure justice in Karabakh conflict: Turkish opposition leader
- 28.02.2017Warlick: All details of April war have not been revealed so far
- 28.02.2017UN chief urges resumption of negotiations on Nagorno-Karabakh
- 27.02.2017NATO Secretary-General calls on Baku and Yerevan to resume negotiations for settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 27.02.2017Khojaly Genocide hashtag among Top 5 on Twitter
- 27.02.2017ICRC: Dead bodies of soldiers collected from battlefield
- 27.02.2017Germany’s Social Democratic Party, Germany–South Caucasus parliamentary group issue statements on Khojaly Genocide
- 27.02.2017Tusk: No military solution to Karabakh conflict
- 27.02.2017Polish lawmaker joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 27.02.2017Turkish PM: Khojaly massacre – a common grief of Turks
- 26.02.2017The Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group issued statement on the clash on the line of contact
- 26.02.2017Exhibition commemorating Khojaly Massacre victims opens in Berlin
- 26.02.2017‘The Concentration Camp’ book published
- 26.02.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform expresses concern over mounting escalation at contact line
- 26.02.2017Azerbaijan: Int’l tribunal needed for Khojaly genocide
- 26.02.2017Khojaly Genocide: 25 years pass since tragedy of 20th century
- 26.02.2017Azerbaijan urges OSCE MG to force Armenia into peace talks
- 26.02.2017“Armenia will never be able to annex Azerbaijani lands”
- 26.02.2017Khojaly massacre – a black spot in history of mankind: Turkish envoy
- 26.02.2017Azerbaijani president pays tribute to Khojaly genocide victims
- 26.02.2017Nationwide march held in Baku to commemorate 25th anniversary of Khojaly Genocide
- 26.02.2017Turkish parliament speaker marks 1992 Khojaly massacre
- 26.02.2017“We will not leave our homes” - REPORTAGE FROM THE FRONTLINE VILLAGE
- 26.02.2017Azerbaijan commemorates 25th anniversary of Khojaly Genocide
- 25.02.2017MP: “An adequate response given to the enemy this time”
- 25.02.2017Vice-Speaker of the Azerbaijani Parliament: "Military provocations became key tool for Armenia"
- 25.02.2017Samad Seyidov: "Such provocations - traditional, usual tactics of Armenians"
- 25.02.2017Tension on frontline is continuation of Armenia’s political provocation such as “referendum” – FM
- 25.02.2017Book titled “Eight days in Armenian prison” by Khojaly genocide witness presented in Istanbul
- 25.02.2017Armenian history will always carry stigma of genocide – top official
- 25.02.2017Italian Senator proposes to recognize Khojaly genocide
- 25.02.2017Ali Ahmadov: Azerbaijani army will give adequate response to Armenian provocations
- 25.02.2017Turkish ambassador: Armenians accusing us of genocide, try to hide traces of crimes they committed
- 25.02.2017Carey Cavanaugh: "The United States should cooperate with Russia in the settlement of Nagorno Karabakh problem"
- 24.02.2017Situation in zone of Nagorno Karabakh conflict causes concern – OSCE Secretary General
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijan suspends activity of Working Group on assessment of damage caused by Armenian occupation
- 24.02.2017Turkish Foreign Ministry condemns Khojaly Massacre
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijan to appeal to UNESCO over illegal archaeological activity in occupied lands
- 17.02.2017EU does not recognize “referendum” in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 18.02.2017Turkish Foreign Ministry: "Referendum" in so-called “Nagorno Karabakh Republic” will not be recognized by Turkey
- 18.02.2017Member of Parliament Armen Shaharyants joins to «Armenia Azerbaijan Peace Platform»
- 17.02.2017Iran against “referendum” in Nagorno-Karabakh – embassy
- 17.02.2017Event titled ‘From Garadaghli to Khojaly’ held in Baku
- 17.02.2017Armenian soldier dies in Nagorno-Karabakh