Twenty-four years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Gubadli district by Armenia
Twenty-four years have passed since the occupation of Azerbaijan’s Gubadli district by Armenian armed forces.
Gubadli district was established in 1930. It covers an area of 802 square km. There are 94 residential districts, including a town and 93 villages. The district was occupied by Armenian armed forces on August 31, 1993.
Gubadli was home to some 30,000 people prior to the occupation, when the economic backbone of district was grain-growing, cattle-breeding, tobacco-cultivation, sericulture and vine-growing. Two grape processing plants, one butter and cheese factory, one asphalt plant, one incubator-poultry farm, one fishery, one stone quarry, marble quarry, a branch of Azerbaijan “Neftqazavtomat” experimental plant and others functioned in the district. Totally, there were 62 facilities.
There were 61 general education schools, including 33 secondary, 16 eight-year and 12 primary schools in Gubadli.
There were about 180 cultural and educational institutions. Eighty-four libraries, 12 cultural houses, 44 clubs and 7 auto-clubs served the population. There were also 2 children's music schools in the district.
As a result of the occupation, totally 6,988 - dwelling houses, 1,080 - agricultural properties, 32 – communications facilities, 86 – medical centers, 180 cultural centers, 6 - industrial enterprises, 650 km – highways, 9 – bridges, 2 – water reservoirs, 150 km - main water lines, 4830 km – electric lines, 165 km – main gas pipelines, 146 – administrative buildings, 18 – mills, 4 - hydraulic power stations, 20 power substations and transformers were destroyed, 13,363 hectares of forest land is under occupation.
Armenians looted Gubadli Museum of History and Ethnography where more than 5,000 unique exhibits were displayed. At present, a sanctuary in “Gavur deresi” dating back to the 4th century, “Galali” and “Goygala” monuments dating back to the 5th century, “Demirchiler” tomb built in the 14th century, Haji Badal bridge, Lalazar bridge, as well as other historical monuments in Ayin, Yusifbeyli, Seytas, Garaghajli, Khojamsakhli villages are under occupation.
During the Armenian aggression, Gubadli had 238 martyrs and 146 disabled people within 5 years. The title of national hero has been conferred on a number of martyrs, including Aliyar Aliyev, Vasili Aliyev, Aslan Atakishiyev, Alakbar Mamamdov, Karam Mirzayev, Agil Mammadov, Beyler Aghayev, Kazimagha Karimov and Safa Akhundov.
Related news releases
- 24.11.2017ICRC expresses readiness to facilitate handover of Azerbaijani soldier
- 24.11.2017‘Justice for Khojaly!’ int’l campaign presented in Morocco
- 24.11.2017State Committee: 265 Azerbaijani women went missing during Karabakh conflict
- 24.11.2017“14 Azerbaijani children killed in Armenian terror during ceasefire”
- 23.11.2017Armenian armed forces hold next exercises in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 23.11.2017EU official: Countries affected by conflicts should benefit from EU countries’ experience
- 23.11.2017Zakharova comments on availability of ‘Putin Plan’ for Karabakh settlement
- 23.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia wants to keep status-quo for as long as possible
- 23.11.2017Stoltenberg: No military solution to Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 23.11.2017EU supports Minsk Group co-chairs’ efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement, says commissioner
- 23.11.2017Zabelin: Azerbaijan has right to reclaim Karabakh
- 23.11.2017Patriarch Kirill: Religious leaders’ co-op aimed at Karabakh conflict settlement is ‘an example of peacekeeping mission’
- 23.11.2017France does not recognize Nagorno-Karabakh: Foreign Ministry
- 22.11.2017Baku reacts to statement Armenian FM voiced at joint press conference with Russian counterpart
- 22.11.2017Erdogan: Only force that can resolve Karabahk conflict is Russia, Putin
- 22.11.2017Landmine explosion kills 3 Armenian soldiers in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijan summons French envoy over France visit of Karabakh illegal regime’s “head”
- 21.11.2017EU asked not to show different attitudes towards Karabakh and Catalan problems
- 21.11.2017Russian FM: Experience shows Karabakh talks unlikely to end soon
- 21.11.2017Lavrov: Russia will continue efforts to create conditions for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 21.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.11.2017OSCE Secretary General: "We closely monitor the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 20.11.2017Turkish ambassador talks about Erdogan's meeting with Putin
- 20.11.2017UNSC resolutions demanding liberation of Azerbaijani lands under discussion – Russian FM
- 20.11.2017FM Mammadyarov: Efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement should be tripled
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani FM: UNSC resolutions to remain in force until implementation
- 20.11.2017Russia will work on peaceful solution acceptable to Karabakh conflict parties – Lavrov
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani FM: Status quo in Karabakh conflict is 'unacceptable and unstable'
- 20.11.2017Novruz Mammadov: Despite provocations of Armenia and its patrons, Azerbaijan doesn’t step back from ‘peace course’
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: Deadlock in US-Russia ties doesn’t affect cooperation on Karabakh settlement
- 20.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan will avenge child victims of Armenian armed provocations
- 20.11.201726 years pass since Armenia shot down military helicopter with Azerbaijani political elite on board
- 19.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 18.11.2017EU Special Representative for South Caucasus to visit Baku
- 18.11.2017Armenia 123 times breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan in 24 hours
- 17.11.2017Erdogan: "We discussed Nagorno-Karabakh conflict with Putin"
- 16.11.2017Armenia continues military exercises in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani FM: Following Vienna talks, we’ll offer the presidents to meet - INTERVIEW
- 16.11.2017Ambassador Cekuta reacts to reports on alleged U.S. decision to withdraw from OSCE MG chairmanship
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs agree to meet in Vienna next month
- 31.08.2017Azerbaijan says Canadian MP’s illegal Karabakh visit is another provocation of Armenia
- 31.08.2017FM: Armenian army presence in Azerbaijani territories major impediment to Karabakh conflict settlement
- 31.08.2017Azerbaijan accuses Armenia of provocation ahead of ministerial meeting on Karabakh settlement
- 30.08.2017ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 30.08.2017New US co-chair of OSCE MG says he would like to see Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet at soonest opportunity
- 30.08.2017Armenian MPs to attend Euronest PA conference in Baku - UPDATED