Twenty-four years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Gubadli district by Armenia
Twenty-four years have passed since the occupation of Azerbaijan’s Gubadli district by Armenian armed forces.
Gubadli district was established in 1930. It covers an area of 802 square km. There are 94 residential districts, including a town and 93 villages. The district was occupied by Armenian armed forces on August 31, 1993.
Gubadli was home to some 30,000 people prior to the occupation, when the economic backbone of district was grain-growing, cattle-breeding, tobacco-cultivation, sericulture and vine-growing. Two grape processing plants, one butter and cheese factory, one asphalt plant, one incubator-poultry farm, one fishery, one stone quarry, marble quarry, a branch of Azerbaijan “Neftqazavtomat” experimental plant and others functioned in the district. Totally, there were 62 facilities.
There were 61 general education schools, including 33 secondary, 16 eight-year and 12 primary schools in Gubadli.
There were about 180 cultural and educational institutions. Eighty-four libraries, 12 cultural houses, 44 clubs and 7 auto-clubs served the population. There were also 2 children's music schools in the district.
As a result of the occupation, totally 6,988 - dwelling houses, 1,080 - agricultural properties, 32 – communications facilities, 86 – medical centers, 180 cultural centers, 6 - industrial enterprises, 650 km – highways, 9 – bridges, 2 – water reservoirs, 150 km - main water lines, 4830 km – electric lines, 165 km – main gas pipelines, 146 – administrative buildings, 18 – mills, 4 - hydraulic power stations, 20 power substations and transformers were destroyed, 13,363 hectares of forest land is under occupation.
Armenians looted Gubadli Museum of History and Ethnography where more than 5,000 unique exhibits were displayed. At present, a sanctuary in “Gavur deresi” dating back to the 4th century, “Galali” and “Goygala” monuments dating back to the 5th century, “Demirchiler” tomb built in the 14th century, Haji Badal bridge, Lalazar bridge, as well as other historical monuments in Ayin, Yusifbeyli, Seytas, Garaghajli, Khojamsakhli villages are under occupation.
During the Armenian aggression, Gubadli had 238 martyrs and 146 disabled people within 5 years. The title of national hero has been conferred on a number of martyrs, including Aliyar Aliyev, Vasili Aliyev, Aslan Atakishiyev, Alakbar Mamamdov, Karam Mirzayev, Agil Mammadov, Beyler Aghayev, Kazimagha Karimov and Safa Akhundov.
Related news releases
- 20.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Dialogue must be established between Armenian and Azerbaijani communities of Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA comments on Armenian president’s congratulatory message to illegal regime in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.02.2018Erdogan: One of greatest atrocities in human history happened in Khojaly
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani defense minister: War may break out at any time
- 19.02.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 122 times
- 17.02.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.02.2018Azerbaijan commemorates 26th anniversary of Garadaghli massacre
- 15.02.2018Moscow says hopes for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.02.2018Armenian saboteurs detained in Azerbaijan can be exchanged for Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev – State Commission
- 14.02.2018MFA: Armenia must finally understand that occupation of Azerbaijani lands will never produce desired political outcome
- 14.02.2018Russian musician off Azerbaijan’s ‘black list’
- 14.02.2018US Intelligence: Tension over Karabakh could develop into large-scale conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan
- 12.02.2018ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 12.02.2018Bulgaria president: Karabakh conflict can be settled only through peaceful means
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani FM: Attempts to change Nagorno-Karabakh’s demographics ‘gross violation’ of int’l humanitarian law
- 11.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 131 times
- 11.02.201826 years pass since occupation of Malibeyli, Gushchular villages of Azerbaijan’s Shusha
- 09.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs meets Armenian president
- 09.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Armenian troops’ presence in Azerbaijani territories remains major cause of non-settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 09.02.2018EU: Nagorno-Karabakh conflict a ‘very big challenge’
- 09.02.2018Mogherini: EU supports Azerbaijan’s sovereignty and territorial integrity
- 09.02.2018Baku: Nalbandian’s offensive attitude towards UNSC resolutions shows Armenia’s disrespect for UN Charter
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijani FM says there is ‘intensity, concrete and logical flow’ in Karabakh talks
- 09.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Armenian troops’ withdrawal from Azerbaijani territories key to political settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 08.02.2018Armenia becomes a political, economic, energy and transportation dead-end – Azerbaijani president
- 08.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia to remain isolated until occupied Azerbaijani lands get liberated
- 08.02.2018Armenian scientist banned from participating in Italy int’l conference for conducting research in Karabakh
- 08.02.2018Armenian soldier killed in retaliation by Azerbaijani army
- 07.02.2018Intensive talks to continue after presidential elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia – MFA
- 07.02.2018U.S. says will continue efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 07.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives OSCE MG co-chairs
- 06.02.2018Andrzej Kasprzyk visits Tartar District Executive Authority
- 04.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 130 times
- 03.02.2018Anti-Azerbaijan provocation prevented during scientific seminar in Moscow
- 02.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Nagorno-Karabakh
- 02.02.2018Foreign Ministry makes statement on scheduled visit of OSCE MG co-chairs to Azerbaijan
- 02.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Armenia on Feb. 7
- 01.02.2018Azerbaijan specifies conditions for increasing number of OSCE observers on contact line of troops
- 01.02.2018Russian FM talks about increasing number of OSCE observers in Karabakh conflict zone
- 31.08.2017Azerbaijan says Canadian MP’s illegal Karabakh visit is another provocation of Armenia
- 31.08.2017FM: Armenian army presence in Azerbaijani territories major impediment to Karabakh conflict settlement
- 31.08.2017Azerbaijan accuses Armenia of provocation ahead of ministerial meeting on Karabakh settlement
- 30.08.2017ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 30.08.2017New US co-chair of OSCE MG says he would like to see Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet at soonest opportunity
- 30.08.2017Armenian MPs to attend Euronest PA conference in Baku - UPDATED