Turkey, Ukraine, Georgia call planned “referendum” in Karabakh illegal
Turkey, Ukraine and Georgia have expressed support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity and sovereignty.
Speaking at the meeting of the OSCE Permanent Council on Feb. 16, representatives of Turkey, Ukraine and Georgia voiced support for Azerbaijan's territorial integrity, its sovereignty, and the inviolability of its internationally recognized borders, noting that they consider illegal “the referendum” planned to be held in occupied Azerbaijani territories, the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told APA on Feb. 17.
They stressed that the referendum’s results will not be recognized by their countries.
The Permanent Mission of Azerbaijan to the OSCE also made a statement at the meeting of the Permanent Council on Feb. 16 regarding an illegal “referendum” reportedly to be held by Armenia in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan.
“This provocative step, as well as Armenia’s attempts to change the name of the Nagorno-Karabakh region, the integral part of Azerbaijan, is yet another clear manifestation that Armenia is not genuinely interested in seeking a political settlement of the armed conflict,” said the statement. “Instead, Armenia pursues the path of escalation, undertakes consistent measures to consolidate the results of its occupation policy and to maintain unacceptable and unsustainable status quo, undermines efforts for the peaceful resolution of the conflict through substantive talks.”
The permanent mission stressed that the illegal “referendum” constitutes a clear violation of the Constitution of Azerbaijan and the norms and principles of international law, and, therefore, has no legal effect whatsoever.
“This so-called “referendum” is being conducted in the seized lands under situation created through the use of force and threat of force against the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan by Armenia and accompanied by the notorious practice of ethnic cleansing and other flagrant violations of the norms and principles of international law,” said the statement.
Azerbaijan’s permanent mission called upon the international community to reject this fabricated illegal “referendum” exercise and to exert political and diplomatic pressure on Armenia with a view to drop its futile attempts to mislead its own people and the wider international community, cease its policy of occupation and annexation, engage constructively in the conflict settlement process and comply with its international obligations.
Speaking on behalf of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairing countries, France stressed the co-chairing countries are concerned by the problem, noting that Nagorno-Karabakh is not recognized as an independent state by any country in the world and thus the results of the upcoming referendum will not be recognized by the co-chairing countries.
The French representative noted that this referendum cannot have any impact on the legal status of Nagorno-Karabakh or the ongoing negotiations to resolve the conflict.
The French representative also recommended that the sides should refrain from any act that would possibly escalate the situation.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 26.07.2017Azerbaijani foreign ministry, defense ministry issue joint statement
- 25.07.2017Armenia once again used combat UAVs
- 24.07.2017Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia 'uninterested' in negotiated resolution of Karabakh conflict
- 23.07.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 23.07.201724 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Aghdam district by Armenia
- 20.07.2017U.S. Department of State: The U.S. we will not accept the results of the so-called elections in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijan says UN support for substantive talks on Karabakh settlement ‘highly appreciated’
- 20.07.2017Moscow: Place of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents’ meeting not determined
- 19.07.2017Armenian soldier wounded in landmine explosion
- 19.07.2017Armenians set fire to Azerbaijan’s occupied territories
- 19.07.2017Lukashevich: Co-chairs are not wizards, they cannot ensure desired level of security in region
- 19.07.2017Lapshin’s final statement: I feel sorry about what happened
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijan says use of water resources as a means of eco terror and pressure is state policy in Armenia
- 19.07.2017Lukashevich: OSCE MG co-chairs prepare for meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs in New York
- 19.07.2017Turkey urges Armenia to stop military provocations against Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijani FM: Specific plan should be discussed for settling Karabakh conflict
- 17.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity supported by whole world
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan says holding illegal presidential election in Nagorno-Karabakh is ‘ridiculous’
- 17.07.2017Russia to be main organizer of planned meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents
- 15.07.2017Azerbaijani MFA responds to European Parliament member who visited Nagorno-Karabakh
- 14.07.2017Armenian woman visits graves of Azerbaijani civilians killed in Alkhanli
- 14.07.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has high hopes for France’s efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijan remains committed to peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict, says defense minister
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijan capable of downing Iskander missiles – defense minister
- 13.07.2017Bahar Muradova: Armenia violated rules of war by committing military provocation in Alkhanli
- 13.07.2017Ambassador: France supports regular negotiations on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani MPs visit Armenian-shelled Alkhanli village
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president calls for soonest resumption of substantive Karabakh talks
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president: Karabakh talks resumed without any preconditions
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president: Blood of little Zahra and her grandmother avenged
- 12.07.2017Baku: Mammadyarov, Nalbandian didn’t discuss creating any mechanisms
- 12.07.2017OSCE MG proposes meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents
- 12.07.2017Russia’s Border Service edits info about exercises in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 12.07.2017Argentine senator condemns Armenia's military provocation in Azerbaijani village
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani MFA: De-escalating the conflict without withdrawing the Armenian troops from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan would not bring solution to the problem
- 12.07.2017Next meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs to take part in New York
- 11.07.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian foreign ministers starts
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan appeals to Russia in regard to holding of exercises in its occupied territories
- 11.07.2017Chilean senator condemns Armenian military provocation in Azerbaijan’s Alkhanli
- 17.02.2017Moscow comments on planned “referendum” in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 17.02.2017France doesn’t recognize Nagorno-Karabakh independence, says ambassador
- 17.02.2017OIC secretary general commemorates Khojaly Massacre
- 17.02.2017OSCE MG co-chairs plan to visit region in March
- 17.02.2017The Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group plan to travel to the region in March
- 17.02.2017Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group release joint statement