TEAS director sends letters to world’s famous editions over Armenian atrocities in Fuzuli
The world media has many reports on firing by the Armenian armed forces of the civilian population in the village of Alkhanli of Fuzuli district and killing of Sahiba Guliyeva and her two-year-old granddaughter Zahra Guliyeva.
To inform the international media, Lionel Zetter, director of The European Azerbaijan Society (TEAS), has sent the letters to such famous editions as "The Times", The Guardian, "The Economist" and “New York Times”. It ran:
“With so many conflicts raging around the world, the ongoing Armenian–Azerbaijani conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh receives little coverage. Your newspaper is an honourable exception to that rule.
Armenian armed forces located close to the ‘contact line’ regularly fire on the peaceful Azerbaijani population. On 4 July 2017, two inhabitants of the Alkhanli village of the Fizuli region – two-year-old Zahra Guliyeva and her grandmother, Sahiba Guliyeva – were killed by mortar fire directed from Armenian-occupied land. This was in direct contravention of the Geneva Conventions of 12 August 1949 and other international agreements, which defend the rights of civil society and forbid the targeting of civilians.
The perpetrators of this atrocity should be prosecuted, either by the Aremnian authorities or by the International Criminal Court. It is now 29 years since Nagorno-Karabakh and the seven surrounding regions were occupied by Armenia, and it is time for them to obey the four outstanding UN Security Council Resolutions and withdraw their troops.
In a letter addressed to “The Economist”, it is emphasized that the South Caucasus and Caspian Basin regions have enormous economic potential.
This potential will never be fully realised unless a lasting peace can be negotiated between Azerbaijan and Armenia. A recent atrocity has underlined this fact. Armenian armed forces located close to the ‘contact line’ regularly fire on the peaceful Azerbaijani population. On 4 July 2017, two inhabitants of the Alkhanli village of the Fizuli region – two-year-old Zahra Guliyeva and her grandmother Sahiba Guliyeva – were killed.
The Armenian occupation of Azerbaijani territory has served to destroy the Armenian economy. With no natural resources of its own, it could have benefited from the BP-led Azerbaijani hydrocarbons boom, which has resulted in the country becoming the leading economy in the CIS. However, due to the conflict with Azerbaijan, all pipelines have been forced to detour to avoid Armenian territory and the country remains reliant on the Metsamor Nuclear Power Plant. This uses a Soviet-era design without a containment vessel that is identical to that at Chernobyl. Furthermore, borders are closed with two of Armenia’s neighbours – Azerbaijan and Turkey – leaving it totally reliant on Russia. It continues to host Russian military bases on its territory.
International institutions should call for the peaceful settlement of the conflict. They should not ignore the fact that Armenia killed members of the Azerbaijani civilian population – children, women and the elderly – and should pressurise Armenia to end its illegal occupation of Azerbaijani territory”.
On July 4 at about 20:40 (GMT+4 hours), the Armenian armed forces, using 82-mm and 120-mm mortars and grenade launchers, shelled the Alkhanli village of Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli district. As a result of this provocation, the residents of the village Sahiba Allahverdiyeva, 50, and Zahra Guliyeva, 2, were killed. Salminaz Guliyeva, 52, was injured.
Related news releases
- 26.07.2017Azerbaijani foreign ministry, defense ministry issue joint statement
- 25.07.2017Armenia once again used combat UAVs
- 24.07.2017Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia 'uninterested' in negotiated resolution of Karabakh conflict
- 23.07.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 23.07.201724 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Aghdam district by Armenia
- 20.07.2017U.S. Department of State: The U.S. we will not accept the results of the so-called elections in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijan says UN support for substantive talks on Karabakh settlement ‘highly appreciated’
- 20.07.2017Moscow: Place of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents’ meeting not determined
- 19.07.2017Armenian soldier wounded in landmine explosion
- 19.07.2017Armenians set fire to Azerbaijan’s occupied territories
- 19.07.2017Lukashevich: Co-chairs are not wizards, they cannot ensure desired level of security in region
- 19.07.2017Lapshin’s final statement: I feel sorry about what happened
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijan says use of water resources as a means of eco terror and pressure is state policy in Armenia
- 19.07.2017Lukashevich: OSCE MG co-chairs prepare for meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs in New York
- 19.07.2017Turkey urges Armenia to stop military provocations against Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijani FM: Specific plan should be discussed for settling Karabakh conflict
- 17.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity supported by whole world
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan says holding illegal presidential election in Nagorno-Karabakh is ‘ridiculous’
- 17.07.2017Russia to be main organizer of planned meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents
- 15.07.2017Azerbaijani MFA responds to European Parliament member who visited Nagorno-Karabakh
- 14.07.2017Armenian woman visits graves of Azerbaijani civilians killed in Alkhanli
- 14.07.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has high hopes for France’s efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijan remains committed to peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict, says defense minister
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijan capable of downing Iskander missiles – defense minister
- 13.07.2017Bahar Muradova: Armenia violated rules of war by committing military provocation in Alkhanli
- 13.07.2017Ambassador: France supports regular negotiations on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani MPs visit Armenian-shelled Alkhanli village
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president calls for soonest resumption of substantive Karabakh talks
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president: Karabakh talks resumed without any preconditions
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president: Blood of little Zahra and her grandmother avenged
- 12.07.2017Baku: Mammadyarov, Nalbandian didn’t discuss creating any mechanisms
- 12.07.2017OSCE MG proposes meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents
- 12.07.2017Russia’s Border Service edits info about exercises in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 12.07.2017Argentine senator condemns Armenia's military provocation in Azerbaijani village
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani MFA: De-escalating the conflict without withdrawing the Armenian troops from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan would not bring solution to the problem
- 12.07.2017Next meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs to take part in New York
- 11.07.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian foreign ministers starts
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan appeals to Russia in regard to holding of exercises in its occupied territories
- 11.07.2017Chilean senator condemns Armenian military provocation in Azerbaijan’s Alkhanli
- 08.07.2017German MP calls for implementation of UNSC resolutions on Nagorno-Karabakh
- 08.07.2017Azerbaijani ombudsperson briefs Crans Montana Forum on Armenian atrocities in Alkhanli
- 08.07.2017Spanish newspaper 'La Razon' publishes article on killing of 2-year-old Zahra
- 07.07.2017French senator reacts to Armenian atrocities in Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli
- 07.07.2017Armenian army continues to shell Azerbaijani settlements
- 07.07.2017PACE co-rapporteurs on Azerbaijan and Armenia express concern over escalation of violence in Alkhanli