TEAS director sends letters to world’s famous editions over Armenian atrocities in Fuzuli
The world media has many reports on firing by the Armenian armed forces of the civilian population in the village of Alkhanli of Fuzuli district and killing of Sahiba Guliyeva and her two-year-old granddaughter Zahra Guliyeva.
To inform the international media, Lionel Zetter, director of The European Azerbaijan Society (TEAS), has sent the letters to such famous editions as "The Times", The Guardian, "The Economist" and “New York Times”. It ran:
“With so many conflicts raging around the world, the ongoing Armenian–Azerbaijani conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh receives little coverage. Your newspaper is an honourable exception to that rule.
Armenian armed forces located close to the ‘contact line’ regularly fire on the peaceful Azerbaijani population. On 4 July 2017, two inhabitants of the Alkhanli village of the Fizuli region – two-year-old Zahra Guliyeva and her grandmother, Sahiba Guliyeva – were killed by mortar fire directed from Armenian-occupied land. This was in direct contravention of the Geneva Conventions of 12 August 1949 and other international agreements, which defend the rights of civil society and forbid the targeting of civilians.
The perpetrators of this atrocity should be prosecuted, either by the Aremnian authorities or by the International Criminal Court. It is now 29 years since Nagorno-Karabakh and the seven surrounding regions were occupied by Armenia, and it is time for them to obey the four outstanding UN Security Council Resolutions and withdraw their troops.
In a letter addressed to “The Economist”, it is emphasized that the South Caucasus and Caspian Basin regions have enormous economic potential.
This potential will never be fully realised unless a lasting peace can be negotiated between Azerbaijan and Armenia. A recent atrocity has underlined this fact. Armenian armed forces located close to the ‘contact line’ regularly fire on the peaceful Azerbaijani population. On 4 July 2017, two inhabitants of the Alkhanli village of the Fizuli region – two-year-old Zahra Guliyeva and her grandmother Sahiba Guliyeva – were killed.
The Armenian occupation of Azerbaijani territory has served to destroy the Armenian economy. With no natural resources of its own, it could have benefited from the BP-led Azerbaijani hydrocarbons boom, which has resulted in the country becoming the leading economy in the CIS. However, due to the conflict with Azerbaijan, all pipelines have been forced to detour to avoid Armenian territory and the country remains reliant on the Metsamor Nuclear Power Plant. This uses a Soviet-era design without a containment vessel that is identical to that at Chernobyl. Furthermore, borders are closed with two of Armenia’s neighbours – Azerbaijan and Turkey – leaving it totally reliant on Russia. It continues to host Russian military bases on its territory.
International institutions should call for the peaceful settlement of the conflict. They should not ignore the fact that Armenia killed members of the Azerbaijani civilian population – children, women and the elderly – and should pressurise Armenia to end its illegal occupation of Azerbaijani territory”.
On July 4 at about 20:40 (GMT+4 hours), the Armenian armed forces, using 82-mm and 120-mm mortars and grenade launchers, shelled the Alkhanli village of Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli district. As a result of this provocation, the residents of the village Sahiba Allahverdiyeva, 50, and Zahra Guliyeva, 2, were killed. Salminaz Guliyeva, 52, was injured.
Related news releases
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev calls Armenia ‘occupier’ at UN
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan says US congressmen’s illegal visit to Nagorno-Karabakh is being investigated
- 20.09.2017EU says it’s closely following Karabakh settlement process
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia tries to associate other countries with illegal occupation
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan urges OIC countries to limit all forms of co-op with Armenia
- 20.09.2017OIC Contact Group mulls Armenia’s aggression against Azerbaijan at UN
- 20.09.2017Turkish president: “We need to work harder for the resolution of Nagorno Garabakh” - VIDEO
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs expected to meet on Sept. 23 - UPDATED
- 19.09.2017US co-chair says he hopes meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs will create a basis for presidents’ meeting
- 18.09.2017ICRC: Issue of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev in spotlight
- 18.09.2017Azerbaijan says it will never allow another Armenian state to be created in its sovereign territory
- 17.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 144 times
- 16.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 148 times
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan’s painful Karabakh problem is also Turkey’s problem – envoy
- 15.09.2017"France always sensitive about Karabakh conflict settlement process"
- 14.09.2017MP: Important to establish dialogue between Azerbaijani, Armenian youth within CIS
- 14.09.2017Farhad Badalbayli: Creation of OSCE Minsk Group was ‘biggest mistake’
- 14.09.2017Russian expert believes Karabakh conflict hinders strengthening of Moscow-Baku co-op
- 13.09.2017Turkish envoy: April battles showed what Azerbaijan is capable of doing
- 10.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 96 times
- 09.09.2017Allahshukur Pashazade: “We offered to hold meeting of religious leaders on the Azerbaijan-Armenia border” - INTERVIEW
- 08.09.2017Azerbaijani FM: Karabakh conflict ‘a major threat’ to regional peace, security
- 08.09.2017Patriarch Kirill: Current situation on Karabakh conflict cannot be considered acceptable
- 08.09.2017Armenians again set fire to occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 08.09.2017US to allocate $1.5 mln for demining operations in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 06.09.2017Armenians resort to provocation against Azerbaijan at int’l book fair in Moscow
- 06.09.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform represented in economic forum in Poland
- 06.09.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian FMs adopts Baku statement
- 03.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 01.09.2017Serzh Sargsyan attends inauguration of highway in Azerbaijan’s occupied district.
- 01.09.2017Armenian soldier killed in landmine explosion in Nagorno Karabakh
- 31.08.2017Moscow: No information about next meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs
- 31.08.2017Nothing new in Hoagland’s latest statement: Russian MFA
- 31.08.2017Azerbaijan accuses Armenia of provocation ahead of ministerial meeting on Karabakh settlement
- 31.08.2017FM: Armenian army presence in Azerbaijani territories major impediment to Karabakh conflict settlement
- 31.08.2017Azerbaijan says Canadian MP’s illegal Karabakh visit is another provocation of Armenia
- 31.08.2017Twenty-four years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Gubadli district by Armenia
- 30.08.2017ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 30.08.2017New US co-chair of OSCE MG says he would like to see Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet at soonest opportunity
- 30.08.2017Armenian MPs to attend Euronest PA conference in Baku - UPDATED
- 08.07.2017German MP calls for implementation of UNSC resolutions on Nagorno-Karabakh
- 08.07.2017Azerbaijani ombudsperson briefs Crans Montana Forum on Armenian atrocities in Alkhanli
- 08.07.2017Spanish newspaper 'La Razon' publishes article on killing of 2-year-old Zahra
- 07.07.2017French senator reacts to Armenian atrocities in Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli
- 07.07.2017Armenian army continues to shell Azerbaijani settlements
- 07.07.2017PACE co-rapporteurs on Azerbaijan and Armenia express concern over escalation of violence in Alkhanli