TEAS director sends letters to world’s famous editions over Armenian atrocities in Fuzuli
The world media has many reports on firing by the Armenian armed forces of the civilian population in the village of Alkhanli of Fuzuli district and killing of Sahiba Guliyeva and her two-year-old granddaughter Zahra Guliyeva.
To inform the international media, Lionel Zetter, director of The European Azerbaijan Society (TEAS), has sent the letters to such famous editions as "The Times", The Guardian, "The Economist" and “New York Times”. It ran:
“With so many conflicts raging around the world, the ongoing Armenian–Azerbaijani conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh receives little coverage. Your newspaper is an honourable exception to that rule.
Armenian armed forces located close to the ‘contact line’ regularly fire on the peaceful Azerbaijani population. On 4 July 2017, two inhabitants of the Alkhanli village of the Fizuli region – two-year-old Zahra Guliyeva and her grandmother, Sahiba Guliyeva – were killed by mortar fire directed from Armenian-occupied land. This was in direct contravention of the Geneva Conventions of 12 August 1949 and other international agreements, which defend the rights of civil society and forbid the targeting of civilians.
The perpetrators of this atrocity should be prosecuted, either by the Aremnian authorities or by the International Criminal Court. It is now 29 years since Nagorno-Karabakh and the seven surrounding regions were occupied by Armenia, and it is time for them to obey the four outstanding UN Security Council Resolutions and withdraw their troops.
In a letter addressed to “The Economist”, it is emphasized that the South Caucasus and Caspian Basin regions have enormous economic potential.
This potential will never be fully realised unless a lasting peace can be negotiated between Azerbaijan and Armenia. A recent atrocity has underlined this fact. Armenian armed forces located close to the ‘contact line’ regularly fire on the peaceful Azerbaijani population. On 4 July 2017, two inhabitants of the Alkhanli village of the Fizuli region – two-year-old Zahra Guliyeva and her grandmother Sahiba Guliyeva – were killed.
The Armenian occupation of Azerbaijani territory has served to destroy the Armenian economy. With no natural resources of its own, it could have benefited from the BP-led Azerbaijani hydrocarbons boom, which has resulted in the country becoming the leading economy in the CIS. However, due to the conflict with Azerbaijan, all pipelines have been forced to detour to avoid Armenian territory and the country remains reliant on the Metsamor Nuclear Power Plant. This uses a Soviet-era design without a containment vessel that is identical to that at Chernobyl. Furthermore, borders are closed with two of Armenia’s neighbours – Azerbaijan and Turkey – leaving it totally reliant on Russia. It continues to host Russian military bases on its territory.
International institutions should call for the peaceful settlement of the conflict. They should not ignore the fact that Armenia killed members of the Azerbaijani civilian population – children, women and the elderly – and should pressurise Armenia to end its illegal occupation of Azerbaijani territory”.
On July 4 at about 20:40 (GMT+4 hours), the Armenian armed forces, using 82-mm and 120-mm mortars and grenade launchers, shelled the Alkhanli village of Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli district. As a result of this provocation, the residents of the village Sahiba Allahverdiyeva, 50, and Zahra Guliyeva, 2, were killed. Salminaz Guliyeva, 52, was injured.
Related news releases
- 21.06.2018Lavrov: Solution won’t be far off if Karabakh conflict sides reach consensus
- 21.06.2018Mogherini: EU supports Minsk Group’s mediation efforts for Karabakh settlement
- 20.06.2018Deputy PM: Azerbaijan's main goal to liberate its occupied lands
- 20.06.2018Return to Jojug Marjanli further strengthened IDPs’ hope to return to native lands: committee chairman
- 20.06.2018Nagorno-Karabakh conflict requires early political settlement - EU
- 18.06.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Manvel Grigoryan participated in Khojaly genocide and other war crimes
- 17.06.2018News about the alleged flights of "fighter aircraft" of Armenia over Khankendi – the next information adventurism of the enemy
- 17.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 83 times
- 15.06.2018Zakharova: Creating favorable atmosphere key to resolving Karabakh conflict
- 15.06.2018Kremlin: Too early to talk about further Aliyev-Pashinyan meetings
- 15.06.2018Separatist Nagorno-Karabakh regime's ex-minister of defense released
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in near future: OSCE MG co-chairs
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani official calls Armenian president’s visit to Nagorno-Karabakh illegal
- 13.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The visit of the Armenian president to the Kalbajar region is a provocation"
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs meet Armenian PM
- 13.06.2018Armenian president visits occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs arrive in Armenia
- 12.06.2018MFA: Azerbaijan to keep increasing its defense capability as long as Armenia continues occupation policy
- 11.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The statements of the Armenian FM confirm that Armenia is a party to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 10.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 144 times
- 09.06.2018MEP: I and my group will never pay illegal visit to Nagorno Karabakh
- 09.06.2018MP: Liberation of occupied lands in Nakhchivan is triumph of Azerbaijani president’s policy
- 09.06.2018Ilham Aliyev: I hope ACRE will adequately assess fact of occupation of Azerbaijani lands
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani Army liberated over 11 thousand hectares of land in Nakhchivan
- 08.06.2018OSCE representatives visit Tartar district executive authority
- 07.06.2018Russian FM responds to Armenian PM’s idea that Nagorno-Karabakh should join negotiations as a party
- 07.06.2018Russia says will continue to help sides find solution to Karabakh conflict
- 07.06.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry responds to Armenian PM’s statement
- 07.06.2018Popov: OSCE MG co-chairs’ planned visit to Armenia aims to hold talks with new gov’t
- 07.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "I hope that the new leadership of Armenia will not repeat the mistakes of the previous government"
- 06.06.2018Australian Senate expresses support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 05.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Armenia on June 13
- 03.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 82 times
- 01.06.2018Russian Foreign Ministry considers Pashinyan’s statement on settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict unconstructive
- 01.06.2018Oettinger: Karabakh conflict settlement ‘impossible’ without Russia
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev and Nikol Pashinyan can meet in coming weeks – Armenian FM
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Destruction of Azerbaijan’s historical, religious monuments by Armenia is unprecedented vandalism
- 30.05.2018Nagorno-Karabakh conflict to be discussed at OSCE PA session
- 29.05.2018Baku: Armenian soldiers' shooting at Azerbaijani civilians shows inadmissibility of status quo
- 29.05.2018Agricultural machinery in Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli hit by multiple bullets during Armenian shelling
- 08.07.2017German MP calls for implementation of UNSC resolutions on Nagorno-Karabakh
- 08.07.2017Azerbaijani ombudsperson briefs Crans Montana Forum on Armenian atrocities in Alkhanli
- 08.07.2017Spanish newspaper 'La Razon' publishes article on killing of 2-year-old Zahra
- 07.07.2017French senator reacts to Armenian atrocities in Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli
- 07.07.2017Armenian army continues to shell Azerbaijani settlements
- 07.07.2017PACE co-rapporteurs on Azerbaijan and Armenia express concern over escalation of violence in Alkhanli