Russian ambassador stresses need to deal with Karabakh settlement more seriously
There is a need to deal with the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict settlement more seriously, Russian ambassador to Azerbaijan Vladimir Dorokhin said on Wednesday.
Representatives of foreign countries’ diplomatic missions and heads of international organizations accredited in Azerbaijan on Wednesday visited the Jabrayil District’s Jojug Marjanli village, liberated from the Armenian occupation in April 2016. Russian ambassador to Azerbaijan Vladimir Dorokhin also joined the visit to Jojug Marjanli.
“Our visit to this village is professional in nature, we get information here, but on the other hand, it has emotional sides as well,” the Russian ambassador told reporters in Jojug Marjanli, APA’s Karabakh bureau reported.
“We see everything with our own eyes and speak to people there as opposed to what we read and listen to,” Dorokhin said. “This, of course, is another message stressing the need to deal with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict more seriously.”
Russia, as a co-chair of the OSCE Minsk Group, is doing great work to resolve the conflict and will continue its efforts together with other co-chairing countries, he added.
The State Committee of Azerbaijan for Affairs of Refugees and IDPs will receive 4 million manats from the Presidential Reserve Fund for 2017 for construction of 50 houses, a school building and the relevant infrastructure at the first stage, according to the order.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 23.08.2017UNICEF comments on killing of two-year-old Zahra by Armenians
- 23.08.201724 years passed since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli and Jabrayil districts by Armenian armed forces
- 20.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 127 times
- 17.08.2017Russia says Karabakh settlement among its ‘foreign policy priorities’
- 16.08.2017Richard Hoagland: We hope Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents will soon resume direct negotiations
- 13.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 136 times
- 12.08.2017Armenia shatters ceasefire 132 times
- 11.08.2017Richard Hoagland: Time has come for conflict parties to take steps to boost confidence
- 11.08.2017Co-chair: I hope that during next summit presidents will announce certain steps
- 11.08.2017Armenians again set fire to Azerbaijan's occupied territories
- 09.08.2017Azerbaijani Ombudsperson calls on int’l organizations over latest Armenian provocation
- 09.08.2017No incident during OSCE monitoring on contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 09.08.2017Andrzej Kasprzyk meets with head of Aghdam executive authority
- 08.08.2017Defence Ministry: One of members of enemy sabotage group was killed
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijani state committee issues statement on latest Armenian provocation
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijani MFA: Left unpunished, Armenia dares to target civilians, civil facilities
- 08.08.2017Armenians shelled village in Tovuz, 13-year-old boy injured
- 07.08.2017Iranian MFA: Karabakh talks should be continued
- 07.08.2017Draft resolution titled ‘The situation in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan’ put on agenda of UN General Assembly session
- 06.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 146 times
- 02.08.2017Armenian soldier detained for attempting to sell power supply of ‘Igla’ missile
- 30.07.2017Armed forces of Armenia fired at the settlements of Gazakh, Agstafa and Tovuz regions
- 30.07.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 140 times
- 28.07.2017Co-coordinators of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform meet with French writer
- 27.07.2017Azerbaijan Department of "The House of Friendship" in Volgograd joins Peace Platform
- 26.07.2017Azerbaijani foreign ministry, defense ministry issue joint statement
- 25.07.2017Armenia once again used combat UAVs
- 24.07.2017Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia 'uninterested' in negotiated resolution of Karabakh conflict
- 23.07.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 23.07.201724 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Aghdam district by Armenia
- 20.07.2017U.S. Department of State: The U.S. we will not accept the results of the so-called elections in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijan says UN support for substantive talks on Karabakh settlement ‘highly appreciated’
- 20.07.2017Moscow: Place of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents’ meeting not determined
- 19.07.2017Armenian soldier wounded in landmine explosion
- 19.07.2017Armenians set fire to Azerbaijan’s occupied territories
- 19.07.2017Lukashevich: Co-chairs are not wizards, they cannot ensure desired level of security in region
- 19.07.2017Lapshin’s final statement: I feel sorry about what happened
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijan says use of water resources as a means of eco terror and pressure is state policy in Armenia
- 19.07.2017Lukashevich: OSCE MG co-chairs prepare for meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs in New York
- 19.07.2017Turkey urges Armenia to stop military provocations against Azerbaijan
- 15.02.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform coordinators meet representatives of European Partnership Consortium
- 15.02.2017ICRC visits Azerbaijani citizen Elnur Huseynzade detained in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 15.02.2017Elman Nasirov: US takes double-standard approach to conflicts in post-Soviet area
- 15.02.2017PEN-club of Azerbaijan expresses support to Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 15.02.2017Azerbaijani deputy PM criticizes diplomats who refused to visit liberated Jojug Marjanli
- 15.02.2017Azerbaijan soon to start construction of new settlement in liberated village