Azerbaijani Army liberated over 11 thousand hectares of land in Nakhchivan
Gunnut village of Sharur region, occupied by Armenian armed forces in 1992, has been returned under control of Azerbaijani Army after 26 years, APA reports quoting the press service of Separate Combined-Arms Army of the Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic.
It is reported that in the last days of May this year, the strategically significant heights in the Gunnut village and surrounding areas of the Sharur region were liberated from the occupation by the Azerbajani Army.
Thus, the Azerbaijani army took a favorable positions as Hunut mountain and Agbulag height as well as "Gizilgaya" and "Mehridag" mountains were liberated from the occupation, and the village of Arpa (Armenians have changed their name to "Areni") of Daralayaz region was taken under control.
In total, about 11,000 hectares of land were taken under control and more than 8,000 of it are suitable for agriculture.
The biggest strategic significance of Gizilqaya height, which is 1683 meters above sea level and provides the control over Gunnut village, also allows our army to control Irevan-Yekhegndzor-Gorus-Lachin-Khankandi highway. 50 km of new roads have been built and more than 50 km of useless roads have been restored for reliable protection and maintenance in the territory.
New defensive positions have been set up at the heights for the tactical protection of the strategically important Arpachay River Basin.
It should be noted that in the 90s of the last century, Sadarak, Günnut, Havush and Shahbulag villages of Sharur region were exposed to continuous enemy attacks. At that time residential buildings in Gunnut village of Sharur region, including many social objects were destroyed and the village turned into ruins. The school, medical center, library, as well as the cemetery and mosque were destroyed and the village community had to move to other settlements of the district, and most of them to Mahmudkand village.
According to "Nuhchikhan" News Agency, residents of Günnut visited the grave of their relatives after returning to their villages on June 7th after 26 years.
- 24.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 92 times
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs meet in Minsk
- 22.06.2018Baku supports promotion of ties between Nagorno-Karabakh’s Azerbaijani, Armenian communities – FM
- 21.06.2018Lavrov: Solution won’t be far off if Karabakh conflict sides reach consensus
- 21.06.2018Mogherini: EU supports Minsk Group’s mediation efforts for Karabakh settlement
- 20.06.2018Deputy PM: Azerbaijan's main goal to liberate its occupied lands
- 20.06.2018Return to Jojug Marjanli further strengthened IDPs’ hope to return to native lands: committee chairman
- 20.06.2018Nagorno-Karabakh conflict requires early political settlement - EU
- 18.06.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Manvel Grigoryan participated in Khojaly genocide and other war crimes
- 17.06.2018News about the alleged flights of "fighter aircraft" of Armenia over Khankendi – the next information adventurism of the enemy
- 17.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 83 times
- 15.06.2018Zakharova: Creating favorable atmosphere key to resolving Karabakh conflict
- 15.06.2018Kremlin: Too early to talk about further Aliyev-Pashinyan meetings
- 15.06.2018Separatist Nagorno-Karabakh regime's ex-minister of defense released
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in near future: OSCE MG co-chairs
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani official calls Armenian president’s visit to Nagorno-Karabakh illegal
- 13.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The visit of the Armenian president to the Kalbajar region is a provocation"
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs meet Armenian PM
- 13.06.2018Armenian president visits occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs arrive in Armenia
- 12.06.2018MFA: Azerbaijan to keep increasing its defense capability as long as Armenia continues occupation policy
- 11.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The statements of the Armenian FM confirm that Armenia is a party to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 10.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 144 times
- 07.06.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry responds to Armenian PM’s statement
- 07.06.2018Popov: OSCE MG co-chairs’ planned visit to Armenia aims to hold talks with new gov’t
- 07.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "I hope that the new leadership of Armenia will not repeat the mistakes of the previous government"
- 06.06.2018Australian Senate expresses support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 05.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Armenia on June 13
- 03.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 82 times
- 01.06.2018Russian Foreign Ministry considers Pashinyan’s statement on settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict unconstructive
- 01.06.2018Oettinger: Karabakh conflict settlement ‘impossible’ without Russia
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev and Nikol Pashinyan can meet in coming weeks – Armenian FM
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Destruction of Azerbaijan’s historical, religious monuments by Armenia is unprecedented vandalism
- 30.05.2018Nagorno-Karabakh conflict to be discussed at OSCE PA session
- 29.05.2018Baku: Armenian soldiers' shooting at Azerbaijani civilians shows inadmissibility of status quo
- 29.05.2018Agricultural machinery in Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli hit by multiple bullets during Armenian shelling
- 28.05.2018President: Only way for Nagorno Karabakh conflict settlement is restoration of Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 28.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani army among world's 50 strongest armies
- 27.05.2018Azerbaijani, French FMs discuss Karabakh conflict settlement
- 27.05.2018French FM: France helping to find a peaceful resolution of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 09.06.2018Ilham Aliyev: I hope ACRE will adequately assess fact of occupation of Azerbaijani lands
- 09.06.2018MP: Liberation of occupied lands in Nakhchivan is triumph of Azerbaijani president’s policy
- 09.06.2018MEP: I and my group will never pay illegal visit to Nagorno Karabakh
- 08.06.2018OSCE representatives visit Tartar district executive authority
- 07.06.2018Russian FM responds to Armenian PM’s idea that Nagorno-Karabakh should join negotiations as a party
- 07.06.2018Russia says will continue to help sides find solution to Karabakh conflict