OSCE MG proposes meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents
The OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs have made a statement regarding the meeting of Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov with his Armenian counterpart Edward Nalbandian in Brussels July 11, the OSCE website said on July 12.
The OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs (Ambassador Igor Popov of Russia, Ambassador Stephane Visconti of France, and Ambassador Richard Hoagland of the US) met July 11 with the Azerbaijani and Armenian foreign ministers, Elmar Mammadyarov and Edward Nalbandian, to discuss modalities of further work on the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, according to the statement.
The Personal Representative of the OSCE Chairperson-in-Office, Ambassador Andrzej Kasprzyk, also participated in the meeting, said the statement.
“The ministers agreed to pass to their presidents the co-chairs’ proposal for a high-level meeting later this year,” the statement noted. “The co-chairs offered their assistance in organizing this meeting.”
The current situation on the contact line between the Armenian and Azerbaijani troops was also discussed, according to the statement.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 26.07.2017Azerbaijani foreign ministry, defense ministry issue joint statement
- 25.07.2017Armenia once again used combat UAVs
- 24.07.2017Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia 'uninterested' in negotiated resolution of Karabakh conflict
- 23.07.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 23.07.201724 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Aghdam district by Armenia
- 20.07.2017U.S. Department of State: The U.S. we will not accept the results of the so-called elections in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijan says UN support for substantive talks on Karabakh settlement ‘highly appreciated’
- 20.07.2017Moscow: Place of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents’ meeting not determined
- 19.07.2017Armenian soldier wounded in landmine explosion
- 19.07.2017Armenians set fire to Azerbaijan’s occupied territories
- 19.07.2017Lukashevich: Co-chairs are not wizards, they cannot ensure desired level of security in region
- 19.07.2017Lapshin’s final statement: I feel sorry about what happened
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijan says use of water resources as a means of eco terror and pressure is state policy in Armenia
- 19.07.2017Lukashevich: OSCE MG co-chairs prepare for meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs in New York
- 19.07.2017Turkey urges Armenia to stop military provocations against Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijani FM: Specific plan should be discussed for settling Karabakh conflict
- 17.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity supported by whole world
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan says holding illegal presidential election in Nagorno-Karabakh is ‘ridiculous’
- 17.07.2017Russia to be main organizer of planned meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents
- 15.07.2017Azerbaijani MFA responds to European Parliament member who visited Nagorno-Karabakh
- 14.07.2017Armenian woman visits graves of Azerbaijani civilians killed in Alkhanli
- 14.07.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has high hopes for France’s efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijan remains committed to peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict, says defense minister
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijan capable of downing Iskander missiles – defense minister
- 13.07.2017Bahar Muradova: Armenia violated rules of war by committing military provocation in Alkhanli
- 13.07.2017Ambassador: France supports regular negotiations on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani MPs visit Armenian-shelled Alkhanli village
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president calls for soonest resumption of substantive Karabakh talks
- 12.07.2017Next meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs to take part in New York
- 11.07.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian foreign ministers starts
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan appeals to Russia in regard to holding of exercises in its occupied territories
- 11.07.2017Chilean senator condemns Armenian military provocation in Azerbaijan’s Alkhanli
- 11.07.2017MEPs criticize Armenian shelling of Azerbaijani civilians
- 11.07.2017Russian, Armenian FMs mull Karabakh peace process
- 11.07.2017Baku: Meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to focus on current state of negotiation process
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Brussels
- 10.07.2017Dmitry Peskov: "We urge all parties to restrain and observe existing agreements"
- 10.07.2017Bundestag MP condemns Armenian atrocity in Fuzuli
- 10.07.2017Tehran: Death of Azerbaijani toddler in latest clashes ‘heartbreaking’
- 12.07.2017Baku: Mammadyarov, Nalbandian didn’t discuss creating any mechanisms
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president: Blood of little Zahra and her grandmother avenged
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president: Karabakh talks resumed without any preconditions
- 12.07.2017Russia’s Border Service edits info about exercises in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 12.07.2017Argentine senator condemns Armenia's military provocation in Azerbaijani village
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani MFA: De-escalating the conflict without withdrawing the Armenian troops from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan would not bring solution to the problem