OSCE MG proposes meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents
The OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs have made a statement regarding the meeting of Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov with his Armenian counterpart Edward Nalbandian in Brussels July 11, the OSCE website said on July 12.
The OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs (Ambassador Igor Popov of Russia, Ambassador Stephane Visconti of France, and Ambassador Richard Hoagland of the US) met July 11 with the Azerbaijani and Armenian foreign ministers, Elmar Mammadyarov and Edward Nalbandian, to discuss modalities of further work on the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, according to the statement.
The Personal Representative of the OSCE Chairperson-in-Office, Ambassador Andrzej Kasprzyk, also participated in the meeting, said the statement.
“The ministers agreed to pass to their presidents the co-chairs’ proposal for a high-level meeting later this year,” the statement noted. “The co-chairs offered their assistance in organizing this meeting.”
The current situation on the contact line between the Armenian and Azerbaijani troops was also discussed, according to the statement.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 24.11.2017ICRC expresses readiness to facilitate handover of Azerbaijani soldier
- 24.11.2017‘Justice for Khojaly!’ int’l campaign presented in Morocco
- 24.11.2017State Committee: 265 Azerbaijani women went missing during Karabakh conflict
- 24.11.2017“14 Azerbaijani children killed in Armenian terror during ceasefire”
- 23.11.2017Armenian armed forces hold next exercises in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 23.11.2017EU official: Countries affected by conflicts should benefit from EU countries’ experience
- 23.11.2017Zakharova comments on availability of ‘Putin Plan’ for Karabakh settlement
- 23.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia wants to keep status-quo for as long as possible
- 23.11.2017Stoltenberg: No military solution to Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 23.11.2017EU supports Minsk Group co-chairs’ efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement, says commissioner
- 23.11.2017Zabelin: Azerbaijan has right to reclaim Karabakh
- 23.11.2017Patriarch Kirill: Religious leaders’ co-op aimed at Karabakh conflict settlement is ‘an example of peacekeeping mission’
- 23.11.2017France does not recognize Nagorno-Karabakh: Foreign Ministry
- 22.11.2017Baku reacts to statement Armenian FM voiced at joint press conference with Russian counterpart
- 22.11.2017Erdogan: Only force that can resolve Karabahk conflict is Russia, Putin
- 22.11.2017Landmine explosion kills 3 Armenian soldiers in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijan summons French envoy over France visit of Karabakh illegal regime’s “head”
- 21.11.2017EU asked not to show different attitudes towards Karabakh and Catalan problems
- 21.11.2017Russian FM: Experience shows Karabakh talks unlikely to end soon
- 21.11.2017Lavrov: Russia will continue efforts to create conditions for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 21.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.11.2017OSCE Secretary General: "We closely monitor the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 20.11.2017Turkish ambassador talks about Erdogan's meeting with Putin
- 20.11.2017UNSC resolutions demanding liberation of Azerbaijani lands under discussion – Russian FM
- 20.11.2017FM Mammadyarov: Efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement should be tripled
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani FM: UNSC resolutions to remain in force until implementation
- 20.11.2017Russia will work on peaceful solution acceptable to Karabakh conflict parties – Lavrov
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani FM: Status quo in Karabakh conflict is 'unacceptable and unstable'
- 20.11.2017Novruz Mammadov: Despite provocations of Armenia and its patrons, Azerbaijan doesn’t step back from ‘peace course’
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: Deadlock in US-Russia ties doesn’t affect cooperation on Karabakh settlement
- 20.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan will avenge child victims of Armenian armed provocations
- 20.11.201726 years pass since Armenia shot down military helicopter with Azerbaijani political elite on board
- 19.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 18.11.2017EU Special Representative for South Caucasus to visit Baku
- 18.11.2017Armenia 123 times breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan in 24 hours
- 17.11.2017Erdogan: "We discussed Nagorno-Karabakh conflict with Putin"
- 16.11.2017Armenia continues military exercises in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani FM: Following Vienna talks, we’ll offer the presidents to meet - INTERVIEW
- 16.11.2017Ambassador Cekuta reacts to reports on alleged U.S. decision to withdraw from OSCE MG chairmanship
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs agree to meet in Vienna next month
- 12.07.2017Baku: Mammadyarov, Nalbandian didn’t discuss creating any mechanisms
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president: Blood of little Zahra and her grandmother avenged
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president: Karabakh talks resumed without any preconditions
- 12.07.2017Russia’s Border Service edits info about exercises in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 12.07.2017Argentine senator condemns Armenia's military provocation in Azerbaijani village
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani MFA: De-escalating the conflict without withdrawing the Armenian troops from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan would not bring solution to the problem