US co-chair of OSCE MG publishes key points of Karabakh conflict settlement
U.S. co-chair of the OSCE Minsk Group, Ambassador Richard Hoagland has decided to retire.
“Taking into account the complicated history of Nagorno-Karabakh, the sides should define its legal future status with mutual consent and legally binding expression of will. A temporary status should be given to an area which is not controlled by Baku and is within the borders of the former Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Region, that would at least ensure autonomy and security guarantees”, said the U.S. co-chair.
“The occupied territories around Nagorno Karabakh should be handed over to Azerbaijan. There can be no settlement on these territories without taking into account Azerbaijan's sovereignty. Azerbaijan's sovereignty over these territories must be restored”, he noted
“There should be a safe corridor that will connect Armenia and Nagorno Karabakh. Nevertheless, it cannot include the whole Lachin district”, Hoagland said.
“The long-term settlement should recognize the right of all displaced people and refugees to return to their former places of residence. The settlement should include international security guarantees which will include peacekeeping measures. There is no scenario where peace can be ensured without well-prepared peacekeeping actions that enjoy the confidence of all sides,” the co-chair added.
The ambassador informed that he will be replaced by Andrew Schofer as a new co-chair of the OSCE Minsk Group.
Related news releases
- 20.09.2017Turkish president: “We need to work harder for the resolution of Nagorno Garabakh” - VIDEO
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs expected to meet on Sept. 23 - UPDATED
- 19.09.2017US co-chair says he hopes meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs will create a basis for presidents’ meeting
- 18.09.2017ICRC: Issue of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev in spotlight
- 18.09.2017Azerbaijan says it will never allow another Armenian state to be created in its sovereign territory
- 17.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 144 times
- 16.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 148 times
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan’s painful Karabakh problem is also Turkey’s problem – envoy
- 15.09.2017"France always sensitive about Karabakh conflict settlement process"
- 14.09.2017MP: Important to establish dialogue between Azerbaijani, Armenian youth within CIS
- 14.09.2017Farhad Badalbayli: Creation of OSCE Minsk Group was ‘biggest mistake’
- 14.09.2017Russian expert believes Karabakh conflict hinders strengthening of Moscow-Baku co-op
- 13.09.2017Turkish envoy: April battles showed what Azerbaijan is capable of doing
- 10.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 96 times
- 09.09.2017Allahshukur Pashazade: “We offered to hold meeting of religious leaders on the Azerbaijan-Armenia border” - INTERVIEW
- 08.09.2017Azerbaijani FM: Karabakh conflict ‘a major threat’ to regional peace, security
- 08.09.2017Patriarch Kirill: Current situation on Karabakh conflict cannot be considered acceptable
- 08.09.2017Armenians again set fire to occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 08.09.2017US to allocate $1.5 mln for demining operations in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 06.09.2017Armenians resort to provocation against Azerbaijan at int’l book fair in Moscow
- 06.09.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform represented in economic forum in Poland
- 06.09.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian FMs adopts Baku statement
- 03.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 01.09.2017Serzh Sargsyan attends inauguration of highway in Azerbaijan’s occupied district.
- 01.09.2017Armenian soldier killed in landmine explosion in Nagorno Karabakh
- 31.08.2017Moscow: No information about next meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs
- 31.08.2017Nothing new in Hoagland’s latest statement: Russian MFA
- 31.08.2017Azerbaijan accuses Armenia of provocation ahead of ministerial meeting on Karabakh settlement
- 31.08.2017FM: Armenian army presence in Azerbaijani territories major impediment to Karabakh conflict settlement
- 31.08.2017Azerbaijan says Canadian MP’s illegal Karabakh visit is another provocation of Armenia
- 31.08.2017Twenty-four years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Gubadli district by Armenia
- 30.08.2017ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 30.08.2017New US co-chair of OSCE MG says he would like to see Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet at soonest opportunity
- 30.08.2017Armenian MPs to attend Euronest PA conference in Baku - UPDATED
- 29.08.2017Azerbaijan says Amnesty Press correspondent’s visit to Karabakh illegal
- 17.08.2017Russia says Karabakh settlement among its ‘foreign policy priorities’
- 16.08.2017Richard Hoagland: We hope Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents will soon resume direct negotiations
- 13.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 136 times
- 12.08.2017Armenia shatters ceasefire 132 times
- 11.08.2017Richard Hoagland: Time has come for conflict parties to take steps to boost confidence
- 27.08.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 28.08.2017Portuguese charge d'affaires summoned to Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry
- 29.08.2017US formally appoints its new co-chair of OSCE MG
- 23.08.2017UNICEF comments on killing of two-year-old Zahra by Armenians
- 23.08.201724 years passed since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli and Jabrayil districts by Armenian armed forces
- 20.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 127 times