Novruz Mammadov: What do co-chairs think about Armenian president who promised and then took different step?!
After the last meeting with Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev, Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan voiced ideas that were incompatible with the spirit of the meeting, Novruz Mammadov, assistant to Azerbaijan’s president for foreign policy issues, head of department, said on Monday, APA reported.
According to Mammadov, the head of state is a representative of a nation.
"That people somehow chose this person, believing that he is the most dignified person who would live up to his promise and carry the country forward,” he said.
The presidential assistant noted that the last meeting of the Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents was also joined by the foreign ministers of the two countries, as well as the tree OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs, and the representatives of the OSCE Chairperson-in-Office.
“But what happened in the last meeting of the presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia? For a long time, negotiations between the Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents on the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict were not conducted, the Armenian side always hindered it,” he said.
“It was stated at the last meeting that a statement consisting of 3 or 4 items of this long-delayed meeting be brought to the attention of the international community. All agreed,” Mamamdov said. “If the Armenian president did not agree with the statement, he could have said so during the meeting. He should've said that following the meeting, he would be speaking anything that comes to his mind.”
"Sargsyan promised in front of the co-chairs that he agrees to bring the concrete ideas to the world community after the meeting, but after the meeting, he acts hypocritically and speaks otherwise," added the top official.
The Azerbaijani president, other officials responded to the Armenian president, noted Mammadov.
“In this case, how will the Armenian people trust him? How will he ensure the development and welfare of his people? What do the co-chairs think about the president who promises and then takes a different step?! If you have a status as head of state, you can't be hypocritical and lie,” he added.
The Armenian people are in a tough situation due to such leaders, said Mammadov.
“Armenians are leaving their country. Only 2.5 million people live in Armenia today. According to forecasts, if this situation continues, the population will not exceed 2.5 million people in 20 years,” he said.
Mammadov noted that Azerbaijan’s population has increased by three million people since the country gained its independence.
“This shows the difference between the two countries and is an indicator of the development of Azerbaijan. Azerbaijan and its capital are one of the most beautiful countries and capitals of the world,” he added.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2018FM: Armenia to resume Karabakh peace process in near future
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets personal representative of OSCE Chairman-in-Office
- 23.05.2018Russia vows to continue active role in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 23.05.2018ECHR soon to hear case of Azerbaijanis held hostage by Armenia – attorney
- 22.05.2018Baku: Armenia bears int’l legal responsibility for occupation of Azerbaijani territories
- 20.05.2018A serviceman of the Azerbaijan Army was killed as a result of another provocation of Armenia
- 20.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 93 times
- 18.05.201826 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Lachin district by Armenia
- 17.05.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit region next month
- 17.05.2018Baku: It’s time for Armenian MFA to change ‘same old song’
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijani MFA spokesman issues statement on 26th anniversary of occupation of Lachin by Armenia
- 16.05.2018Crisis Group expert: New gov’t in Armenia opens up new opportunities for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 16.05.2018Armenia’s occupation policy hinders peace in region: Azerbaijani parl’t speaker
- 15.05.2018OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs issue statement on Paris meeting
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan reiterates readiness to intensify talks for early settlement of Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 14.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov to discuss Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict with OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs
- 14.05.2018FM: Resettlement of Syrian Armenians in occupied Azerbaijani territories ‘unacceptable’
- 14.05.2018Armenia-Azerbaiajn Peace Platform holds meeting
- 13.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 89 times
- 12.05.2018Ali Ahmadov: If Pashinyan does not understand need for fair settlement of conflict, this is beginning of his tragedy
- 12.05.201824 years pass since declaration of ceasefire between Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Tigran Balayan trying to be extra active seeking promotion in new Armenian gov’t
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan slams Pashinyan’s proposal to accept separatist Karabakh regime as party in talks
- 10.05.2018Pashinyan’s statements contradict negotiation principles, says Azerbaijani diplomat
- 10.05.2018Bayram Safarov: Pashinyan will someday regret that he visited Shusha
- 09.05.2018Hikmat Hajiyev: The new Prime Minister of Armenia makes controversial statements about the negotiation process
- 09.05.2018Armenia’s new PM visits occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan allows some foreign media representatives to visit Nagorno-Karabakh
- 08.05.2018Six foreigners attempt to trespass Armenia-Azerbaijan border
- 08.05.2018Pashinyan says ready for talks with Azerbaijan on Karabakh conflict
- 08.05.2018“Serzh Sargsyan's resignation was overdue”
- 08.05.2018Nagorno-Karabakh is not disputed territory, Azerbaijan says
- 08.05.2018Azerbaijan says Armenia’s position impedes political settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 08.05.201826 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan's Shusha city by Armenia
- 07.05.2018Deputy parliament speaker: Nagorno-Karabakh population would have been better off now had they not revolted against Azerbaijan
- 06.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 82 times
- 04.05.2018Russian MFA comments on possible impact of Armenian political turmoil on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 03.05.2018Crisis Group: Armenia’s political fragility could contribute to escalation of conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh
- 29.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 87 times
- 27.04.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 90 times
- 24.10.2017FM: Resettlement of Syrian Armenians in occupied lands aimed at preventing expelled Azerbaijani population from returning to their homes
- 25.10.2017OSCE representatives meet with head of Fuzuli District Executive Authority
- 26.10.2017Andrew Schofer: "The Co-Chairs are currently working with the foreign ministers to identify the date for the next meeting"
- 23.10.2017Azerbaijani soldier killed during Armenian provocation laid to rest
- 22.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.10.2017Two Armenian soldiers die in Nagorno-Karabakh