Russia to be main organizer of planned meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents
Russia will be the main organizer of a meeting of Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev with his Armenian counterpart Serzh Sargsyan, which is planned to be held by the end of this year, a source in the Russian Foreign Ministry told Izvestia newspaper, APA reported.
“Moscow will be the main mediator in this matter, as the attempts of the other OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs – the US and France – to resume the talks between Baku and Moscow failed,” said the source.
France’s attempts to bring the Azerbaijani and Armenian leaders to the negotiating table also failed, according to the source.
“Meanwhile, the maintenance of dialogue is of fundamental importance. Due to this, a full-scale war did not break out in the region. However, the goals and visions of the sides are still different,” the source told Izvestia newspaper.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev calls Armenia ‘occupier’ at UN
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan says US congressmen’s illegal visit to Nagorno-Karabakh is being investigated
- 20.09.2017EU says it’s closely following Karabakh settlement process
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia tries to associate other countries with illegal occupation
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan urges OIC countries to limit all forms of co-op with Armenia
- 20.09.2017OIC Contact Group mulls Armenia’s aggression against Azerbaijan at UN
- 20.09.2017Turkish president: “We need to work harder for the resolution of Nagorno Garabakh” - VIDEO
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs expected to meet on Sept. 23 - UPDATED
- 19.09.2017US co-chair says he hopes meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs will create a basis for presidents’ meeting
- 18.09.2017ICRC: Issue of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev in spotlight
- 18.09.2017Azerbaijan says it will never allow another Armenian state to be created in its sovereign territory
- 17.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 144 times
- 16.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 148 times
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan’s painful Karabakh problem is also Turkey’s problem – envoy
- 15.09.2017"France always sensitive about Karabakh conflict settlement process"
- 14.09.2017MP: Important to establish dialogue between Azerbaijani, Armenian youth within CIS
- 14.09.2017Farhad Badalbayli: Creation of OSCE Minsk Group was ‘biggest mistake’
- 14.09.2017Russian expert believes Karabakh conflict hinders strengthening of Moscow-Baku co-op
- 13.09.2017Turkish envoy: April battles showed what Azerbaijan is capable of doing
- 10.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 96 times
- 09.09.2017Allahshukur Pashazade: “We offered to hold meeting of religious leaders on the Azerbaijan-Armenia border” - INTERVIEW
- 08.09.2017Azerbaijani FM: Karabakh conflict ‘a major threat’ to regional peace, security
- 08.09.2017Patriarch Kirill: Current situation on Karabakh conflict cannot be considered acceptable
- 08.09.2017Armenians again set fire to occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 08.09.2017US to allocate $1.5 mln for demining operations in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 06.09.2017Armenians resort to provocation against Azerbaijan at int’l book fair in Moscow
- 06.09.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform represented in economic forum in Poland
- 06.09.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian FMs adopts Baku statement
- 03.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 01.09.2017Serzh Sargsyan attends inauguration of highway in Azerbaijan’s occupied district.
- 01.09.2017Armenian soldier killed in landmine explosion in Nagorno Karabakh
- 31.08.2017Moscow: No information about next meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs
- 31.08.2017Nothing new in Hoagland’s latest statement: Russian MFA
- 31.08.2017Azerbaijan accuses Armenia of provocation ahead of ministerial meeting on Karabakh settlement
- 31.08.2017FM: Armenian army presence in Azerbaijani territories major impediment to Karabakh conflict settlement
- 31.08.2017Azerbaijan says Canadian MP’s illegal Karabakh visit is another provocation of Armenia
- 31.08.2017Twenty-four years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Gubadli district by Armenia
- 30.08.2017ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 30.08.2017New US co-chair of OSCE MG says he would like to see Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet at soonest opportunity
- 30.08.2017Armenian MPs to attend Euronest PA conference in Baku - UPDATED
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan says holding illegal presidential election in Nagorno-Karabakh is ‘ridiculous’
- 17.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity supported by whole world
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijani FM: Specific plan should be discussed for settling Karabakh conflict
- 15.07.2017Azerbaijani MFA responds to European Parliament member who visited Nagorno-Karabakh
- 14.07.2017Armenian woman visits graves of Azerbaijani civilians killed in Alkhanli
- 14.07.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan