Russia to be main organizer of planned meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents
Russia will be the main organizer of a meeting of Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev with his Armenian counterpart Serzh Sargsyan, which is planned to be held by the end of this year, a source in the Russian Foreign Ministry told Izvestia newspaper, APA reported.
“Moscow will be the main mediator in this matter, as the attempts of the other OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs – the US and France – to resume the talks between Baku and Moscow failed,” said the source.
France’s attempts to bring the Azerbaijani and Armenian leaders to the negotiating table also failed, according to the source.
“Meanwhile, the maintenance of dialogue is of fundamental importance. Due to this, a full-scale war did not break out in the region. However, the goals and visions of the sides are still different,” the source told Izvestia newspaper.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 19.07.2018Björn Rahm: ICRC regularly visits persons detained in relation to conflict
- 19.07.2018Prince of Jordan visits Jojug Marjanli
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets with personal representative of OSCE Chairperson-in-Office
- 18.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: Italy will support Karabakh conflict settlement during its OSCE chairmanship
- 18.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan confident Italy will play active role in resolution of Karabakh conflict
- 16.07.2018U.S. State Department in talks with Turkey to sell Patriot system
- 15.07.2018The provocation of the reconnaissance-sabotage group of Armenia was suppressed on the state border - PHOTO
- 15.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 87 times
- 14.07.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has high hopes for France’s efforts in resolving Karabakh conflict
- 13.07.2018Nikol Pashinyan: No talk on meeting with Azerbaijani president at the moment
- 12.07.2018Hajiyev: Azerbaijan recommends that Armenian leadership finally come to senses, comprehend realities
- 12.07.2018Moscow: Azerbaijan, Armenia fail to decide on increasing number of int’l observers in conflict zone
- 12.07.2018OSCE MG co-chairs issue statement following meeting with Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs
- 12.07.2018Mogherini called for negotiations on Nagorno Karabakh without preconditions
- 12.07.2018Hikmat Hajiyev: “The meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs lasted about 4 hours”
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs meet it Brussels
- 11.07.2018Elmar Mammadyarov meets with OSCE MG co-chairs
- 11.07.2018ICRC meets with Dilgam Asgarov, Shahbaz Guliyev
- 11.07.2018UNSC has not adopted resolutions on organization of military tribunals despite Armenia’s war crimes – Baku
- 11.07.2018Baku: Pashinyan's son’s military service in Nagorno-Karabakh has became a political show
- 11.07.2018MFA: Azerbaijan to take all necessary measures to release Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan says supports intensive, substantive talks on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 10.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Turkey always supports Azerbaijan in Karabakh problem
- 10.07.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 10.07.2018OSCE reps meet with deputy head of Aghdam district executive authority
- 10.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 81 times
- 09.07.2018Talks on Karabakh conflict settlement must be continued in existing format: Azerbaijani MFA
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijani FM: If Armenia’s new gov’t follow Sargsyan regime’s path, they’ll meet the same fate
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet on July 11 - UPDATED
- 09.07.2018OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 08.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 89 times
- 07.07.2018Armenians set fire in Azerbaijan’s occupied lands again
- 07.07.2018Armenian FM: Meeting with Azerbaijan FM planned for near future
- 06.07.2018Patrushev: Russia supports phased and peaceful settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict
- 06.07.2018Igor Popov: Date of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs’ meeting may be announced soon
- 06.07.2018Baku: Armenia’s attempts to artificially maintain status quo are fraught with serious complications
- 04.07.2018Azerbaijani MFA issues statement on anniversary of tragic Alkhanli events
- 04.07.2018Russian State Duma deputy responds to accusations against him
- 04.07.2018Russian lawmaker under attack after recognizing Karabakh as Azerbaijani territory
- 07.05.2013Richard Morningstar: “The US Secretary of State is interested in the resolution of the Nagorno Karabakh conflict”
- 08.05.201321 years pass since occupation of Shusha city of Azerbaijan
- 08.05.2013Alley of Martyrs visited on anniversary of Shusha’s occupation
- 03.05.2013Azerbaijan develops draft law "On the occupied territories of the Republic of Azerbaijan" basing on Georgian experience
- 03.05.2013Iran’s ambassador:”We have supported Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity in all international organizations”
- 03.05.2013Arnold Stepanyan: No one recognizes Nagorno Karabakh and Armenia’s economy is collapsing