Markedonov: Status quo in Karabakh conflict unlikely to be changed by Moscow or Washington
A forceful solution to conflicts in the South Caucasus remains, Sergey Markedonov, a Russian political analyst and associate professor at State University for the Humanities based in Moscow (Russia), said in his lecture entitled “Transcaucasia: Are the conflicts over or still ahead?” at the State Central Museum of Contemporary History of Russia, APA’s Moscow correspondent reported.
Markedonov said conflicts in the South Caucasus have been overshadowed in recent years, stressing that the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, however, still remains in the spotlight.
“In April 2016, we saw an escalation in this conflict, which is often referred to as ‘a four-day war’ in the media. It was the biggest escalation since the signing of the ceasefire agreement on 12 May 1994,” said the political analyst. “Following that escalation, the chiefs of general staffs of Azerbaijan and Armenia came to an agreement on a ceasefire. However, that didn’t mean ceasefire because the ceasefire is constantly violated along the 193km-long line of contact surrounding Nagorno-Karabakh, as well as the state border between Azerbaijan and Armenia.”
Markedonov went on to speak about the role of regional powers, namely Russia, Iran, and Turkey in the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
“Iran is the only country today that has declared it does not recognize the renewed Madrid principles, which is considered to be a regulating document in respect of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict,” said Markedonov, stressing that Tehran is in favor a solution with the participation of regional countries, with no foreign players involved.
“Tehran does not agree with one of the items of the renewed Madrid principles. This item implies the deployment of international peacekeepers in the conflict zone, which Iran sees as a threat to its national security,” he said.
Turkey is a strategic ally of Azerbaijan, and it is the only country in the region that openly supported Azerbaijan during the four-day war, Markedonov noted.
He continued: “In addition to Turkey, Ukraine also supported Azerbaijan at that time. Other countries, Russia, the United States, and the EU took a very balanced position. We can say that the South Caucasus is a field of competition between Russia and the West. But this does not mean that the interests of Russia and the West contrast in all the conflicts in the region. As to the Georgia-Ossetia and Georgia-Abkhazia conflicts, the positions of Russia and the West do not overlap, but we do not see this in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. On the contrary, the interests of Russia and the West in the resolution of this conflict are not very much colliding. A clear proof of this is the meeting in Moscow of the foreign ministers of Russia, Azerbaijan, and Armenia on April 28. The co-chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group and the Personal Representative of the OSCE Chairman also participated in that meeting.”
According to the political analyst, the Karabakh conflict is the only conflict in the post-Soviet area about which mutual cooperation between Russia and the West has not stopped.
“Today, Moscow and Washington will not be able to help find a compromise between Azerbaijan and Armenia. Baku and Yerevan themselves should come to a compromise,” said Markedonov, stressing that it is inappropriate to expect that the status quo will be changed by Moscow or Washington.
Also, the Russian political analyst did not rule out a forceful solution to the conflicts in the South Caucasus.
"Often, there are thoughts that there is only a peaceful way to resolve the conflicts in the South Caucasus. No, it's not. Like all other conflicts, conflicts in the South Caucasus could also be settled forcibly. The issue of territorial integrity is solved only by force. We have seen it in the Balkans. Croatia has solved the question of its territorial integrity by military means. But for a military solution of the conflict, a guarantor of war scenario and political conditions are necessary. If this is not the case, the decision by military means is impossible and the solution to the conflict will be prolonged,” he added.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2017“Peace Ambassador” of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform from Ukraine appointed
- 23.05.2017Polish magazine dedicates article to Khojaly genocide
- 23.05.2017PACE co-rapporteurs to make proposal in relation to Karabakh conflict
- 23.05.2017Armenians warned over planned anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Russia’s Kursk
- 22.05.2017McAllister: European Parliament not responsible for some MEPs’ visits to Nagorno-Karabakh
- 21.05.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 20.05.2017German FM: CE monitoring instruments’ should have access to Nagorno-Karabakh and seven surrounding regions
- 20.05.2017Armenian soldier violating ceasefire killed
- 19.05.2017Azerbaijani defense ministry comments on video spread by Armenians
- 19.05.2017Association of European Journalists joins to Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 19.05.2017Baku says OSCE MG co-chairs’ latest statement is ‘symptomatic’ in nature
- 19.05.2017The Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group released statement on the recent escalation in Nagorno Karabakh conflict zone
- 18.05.2017Moscow urges Karabakh conflict sides to avoid further escalation
- 18.05.201725 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Lachin district by Armenia
- 17.05.2017OSCE chairman to visit South Caucasus – press officer
- 17.05.2017Russian historian: People believe Russia occupied Karabakh and will never admit it
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani Defense Ministry commented on reports that spread on some media about Armenia possible to shoot the helicopter of Defense Minister
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan approves rules for ensuring security in frontline settlements
- 16.05.2017OSCE PA draft resolution urges Karabakh conflict parties to return to negotiation table
- 15.05.2017OSA missile system of Armenia was destroyed
- 14.05.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.05.2017OSCE MG co-chairs likely to visit the region in coming months
- 12.05.2017Peace ambassador of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform from Russia appointed
- 12.05.2017Listing of people who went missing during Karabakh conflict almost finished
- 12.05.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform members hold meeting
- 10.05.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform presented at int’l forum in Egypt
- 10.05.2017Hoagland: US should play more active role in Karabakh settlement process
- 10.05.2017Hoagland: US, Russia will continue to cooperate on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 10.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia's occupation policy is attack not only on Azerbaijan, but also on historical and cultural heritage of Islam
- 10.05.2017OSCE MG US co-chair calls for serious high-level talks on Karabakh conflict
- 10.05.2017ICRC in Nagorno-Karabakh visits Azerbaijani detainees
- 09.05.2017Ambassador: Belarus supports peaceful settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict
- 09.05.2017Three Armenian soldiers drown as a result of accident
- 08.05.2017Azerbaijan removes Spanish journalist from ‘black list’
- 08.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Hope France’s efforts to contribute to fair settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 08.05.2017Azerbaijani MP: Great powers can silence Armenia within hours
- 08.05.2017Occupation of Shusha was part of Armenia’s systematic policy of aggression against Azerbaijan – Foreign Ministry
- 07.05.2017Azerbaijan arrests group of servicemen, civilians involved in conspiracy with Armenian intelligence services
- 07.05.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 121 times
- 06.05.2017Baku says scheme of coordinated actions needed for Armenia’s withdrawal from Azerbaijani lands
- 05.05.2017Azerbaijani president: We restored Armenian church in Baku, while Armenia annihilated our cultural heritage in occupied lands
- 05.05.2017ICRC comments on reports of its workers being opened fire at by Armenians in Aghdam
- 05.05.2017American journalist meets co-coordinators of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 04.05.2017Dugin: Azerbaijani people are not hostile to ordinary Armenians, but only want liberation of occupied territories by peaceful means
- 03.05.2017Iranian MFA slams Armenian media for actions for personal gain
- 03.05.2017Indonesian envoy: Karabakh conflict is Azerbaijan’s internal affair