FM Mammadyarov: Armenian troops’ withdrawal from Azerbaijani territories key to political settlement of Karabakh conflict
The continuation of the occupation of Azerbaijani territories by Armenia and the presence of Armenian troops in occupied Azerbaijani lands pose the biggest threat to peace and security in Azerbaijan and the region, Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov said in an interview to Le Journal du Parlement, a French parliamentary magazine, during his visit to France, APA reports.
He said that during the Second World War, as between Germany and France, trenches were dug and soldiers stationed along the line of contact on the occupied territories.
"The Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict has resulted from military aggression and occupation. The aggressive separatism, which began in the Nagorno-Karabakh region in the late 1980s and was followed by terrorist acts, took the form of open military aggression by Armenia against Azerbaijan after the collapse of the USSR,” said Mammadyarov.
By occupying the Nagorno-Karabakh region and surrounding districts, Armenia committed ethnic cleansing against more than one million Azerbaijanis, he stressed.
“The untimely prevention of aggressive separatism, the manifestation of double standards led to today's tragedy. Therefore, serious measures are needed to be taken against the growing separatist sentiments in Europe and also to prevent them,” said Mammadyarov, calling for a decisive and unequivocal attitude towards all forms and manifestations of separatism.
The top diplomat described UN Security Council's four resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884, adopted in 1993, as the demonstration of a resolute and unequivocal position by the international community on Armenia’s aggression against Azerbaijan.
“The UN resolutions reaffirm Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity, sovereignty and inviolability of its borders, recognize Nagorno-Karabakh as an integral part of Azerbaijan, and demand an immediate and unconditional withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied Azerbaijani territories. These resolutions form the basis of the mandate of the co-chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group, which includes France,” he added.
In order to achieve progress in a political settlement of the conflict, the withdrawal of Armenian troops from Azerbaijan’s occupied territories must be ensured and the factor of military risk must be eliminated, Mammadyarov underlined.
Related news releases
- 20.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Dialogue must be established between Armenian and Azerbaijani communities of Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA comments on Armenian president’s congratulatory message to illegal regime in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.02.2018Erdogan: One of greatest atrocities in human history happened in Khojaly
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani defense minister: War may break out at any time
- 19.02.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 122 times
- 17.02.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.02.2018Azerbaijan commemorates 26th anniversary of Garadaghli massacre
- 15.02.2018Moscow says hopes for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.02.2018Armenian saboteurs detained in Azerbaijan can be exchanged for Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev – State Commission
- 14.02.2018MFA: Armenia must finally understand that occupation of Azerbaijani lands will never produce desired political outcome
- 14.02.2018Russian musician off Azerbaijan’s ‘black list’
- 14.02.2018US Intelligence: Tension over Karabakh could develop into large-scale conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan
- 12.02.2018ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 12.02.2018Bulgaria president: Karabakh conflict can be settled only through peaceful means
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani FM: Attempts to change Nagorno-Karabakh’s demographics ‘gross violation’ of int’l humanitarian law
- 11.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 131 times
- 11.02.201826 years pass since occupation of Malibeyli, Gushchular villages of Azerbaijan’s Shusha
- 09.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs meets Armenian president
- 09.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Armenian troops’ presence in Azerbaijani territories remains major cause of non-settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 09.02.2018EU: Nagorno-Karabakh conflict a ‘very big challenge’
- 08.02.2018Armenian soldier killed in retaliation by Azerbaijani army
- 07.02.2018Intensive talks to continue after presidential elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia – MFA
- 07.02.2018U.S. says will continue efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 07.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives OSCE MG co-chairs
- 06.02.2018Andrzej Kasprzyk visits Tartar District Executive Authority
- 04.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 130 times
- 03.02.2018Anti-Azerbaijan provocation prevented during scientific seminar in Moscow
- 02.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Nagorno-Karabakh
- 02.02.2018Foreign Ministry makes statement on scheduled visit of OSCE MG co-chairs to Azerbaijan
- 02.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Armenia on Feb. 7
- 01.02.2018Azerbaijan specifies conditions for increasing number of OSCE observers on contact line of troops
- 01.02.2018Russian FM talks about increasing number of OSCE observers in Karabakh conflict zone
- 01.02.2018Italian FM comments on expansion of OSCE observation mission in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 01.02.2018OSCE chairman hails Russia’s crucial role in resolving regional conflicts
- 01.02.2018Russia’s Lavrov: OSCE to continue joint work to contribute to Karabakh conflict settlement
- 01.02.2018Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,800 times in January
- 31.01.2018Russian MFA comments on possible role of Moscow-Ankara-Tehran format in settling Karabakh conflict
- 31.01.2018Russia takes measures to increase number of OSCE observes in Karabakh conflict zone – Foreign Ministry
- 31.01.2018France’s Macron says he will visit Nagorno-Karabakh after conflict settlement
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijani FM says there is ‘intensity, concrete and logical flow’ in Karabakh talks
- 09.02.2018Baku: Nalbandian’s offensive attitude towards UNSC resolutions shows Armenia’s disrespect for UN Charter
- 09.02.2018Mogherini: EU supports Azerbaijan’s sovereignty and territorial integrity
- 08.02.2018Armenia becomes a political, economic, energy and transportation dead-end – Azerbaijani president
- 08.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia to remain isolated until occupied Azerbaijani lands get liberated
- 08.02.2018Armenian scientist banned from participating in Italy int’l conference for conducting research in Karabakh