FM Mammadyarov: Armenian troops’ withdrawal from Azerbaijani territories key to political settlement of Karabakh conflict
The continuation of the occupation of Azerbaijani territories by Armenia and the presence of Armenian troops in occupied Azerbaijani lands pose the biggest threat to peace and security in Azerbaijan and the region, Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov said in an interview to Le Journal du Parlement, a French parliamentary magazine, during his visit to France, APA reports.
He said that during the Second World War, as between Germany and France, trenches were dug and soldiers stationed along the line of contact on the occupied territories.
"The Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict has resulted from military aggression and occupation. The aggressive separatism, which began in the Nagorno-Karabakh region in the late 1980s and was followed by terrorist acts, took the form of open military aggression by Armenia against Azerbaijan after the collapse of the USSR,” said Mammadyarov.
By occupying the Nagorno-Karabakh region and surrounding districts, Armenia committed ethnic cleansing against more than one million Azerbaijanis, he stressed.
“The untimely prevention of aggressive separatism, the manifestation of double standards led to today's tragedy. Therefore, serious measures are needed to be taken against the growing separatist sentiments in Europe and also to prevent them,” said Mammadyarov, calling for a decisive and unequivocal attitude towards all forms and manifestations of separatism.
The top diplomat described UN Security Council's four resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884, adopted in 1993, as the demonstration of a resolute and unequivocal position by the international community on Armenia’s aggression against Azerbaijan.
“The UN resolutions reaffirm Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity, sovereignty and inviolability of its borders, recognize Nagorno-Karabakh as an integral part of Azerbaijan, and demand an immediate and unconditional withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied Azerbaijani territories. These resolutions form the basis of the mandate of the co-chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group, which includes France,” he added.
In order to achieve progress in a political settlement of the conflict, the withdrawal of Armenian troops from Azerbaijan’s occupied territories must be ensured and the factor of military risk must be eliminated, Mammadyarov underlined.
Related news releases
- 27.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 86 times
- 27.05.2018Azerbaijani President: "The main issue of our foreign policy is the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijani-born Armenian arrives in Baku
- 25.05.2018No discussion yet on date of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs’ meeting – Mammadyarov
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijani FM: Proposing Karabakh separatists’ participation in talks means ‘killing’ peace process
- 25.05.2018FM: Azerbaijan ready for good neighborly relations with Armenia after restoration of its territorial integrity
- 24.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani people confident of restoring country’s territorial integrity
- 24.05.2018Trump: Coming months bring opportunities to resolve Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 23.05.2018FM: Armenia to resume Karabakh peace process in near future
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets personal representative of OSCE Chairman-in-Office
- 23.05.2018Russia vows to continue active role in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 23.05.2018ECHR soon to hear case of Azerbaijanis held hostage by Armenia – attorney
- 22.05.2018Baku: Armenia bears int’l legal responsibility for occupation of Azerbaijani territories
- 20.05.2018A serviceman of the Azerbaijan Army was killed as a result of another provocation of Armenia
- 20.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 93 times
- 18.05.201826 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Lachin district by Armenia
- 17.05.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit region next month
- 17.05.2018Baku: It’s time for Armenian MFA to change ‘same old song’
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijani MFA spokesman issues statement on 26th anniversary of occupation of Lachin by Armenia
- 16.05.2018Crisis Group expert: New gov’t in Armenia opens up new opportunities for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 16.05.2018Armenia’s occupation policy hinders peace in region: Azerbaijani parl’t speaker
- 15.05.2018OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs issue statement on Paris meeting
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan reiterates readiness to intensify talks for early settlement of Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 14.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov to discuss Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict with OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs
- 14.05.2018FM: Resettlement of Syrian Armenians in occupied Azerbaijani territories ‘unacceptable’
- 14.05.2018Armenia-Azerbaiajn Peace Platform holds meeting
- 13.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 89 times
- 12.05.2018Ali Ahmadov: If Pashinyan does not understand need for fair settlement of conflict, this is beginning of his tragedy
- 12.05.201824 years pass since declaration of ceasefire between Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Tigran Balayan trying to be extra active seeking promotion in new Armenian gov’t
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan slams Pashinyan’s proposal to accept separatist Karabakh regime as party in talks
- 10.05.2018Pashinyan’s statements contradict negotiation principles, says Azerbaijani diplomat
- 10.05.2018Bayram Safarov: Pashinyan will someday regret that he visited Shusha
- 09.05.2018Hikmat Hajiyev: The new Prime Minister of Armenia makes controversial statements about the negotiation process
- 09.05.2018Armenia’s new PM visits occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan allows some foreign media representatives to visit Nagorno-Karabakh
- 08.05.2018Six foreigners attempt to trespass Armenia-Azerbaijan border
- 08.05.2018Pashinyan says ready for talks with Azerbaijan on Karabakh conflict
- 08.05.2018“Serzh Sargsyan's resignation was overdue”
- 08.05.2018Nagorno-Karabakh is not disputed territory, Azerbaijan says
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijani FM says there is ‘intensity, concrete and logical flow’ in Karabakh talks
- 09.02.2018Baku: Nalbandian’s offensive attitude towards UNSC resolutions shows Armenia’s disrespect for UN Charter
- 09.02.2018Mogherini: EU supports Azerbaijan’s sovereignty and territorial integrity
- 08.02.2018Armenia becomes a political, economic, energy and transportation dead-end – Azerbaijani president
- 08.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia to remain isolated until occupied Azerbaijani lands get liberated
- 08.02.2018Armenian scientist banned from participating in Italy int’l conference for conducting research in Karabakh