Lavrov: Moscow expects Baku, Yerevan will show political will for mutual concessions
Moscow expects Baku and Yerevan will demonstrate political will and readiness for mutual concessions, Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said in an article in newspaper Bakinskiy Rabochiy, APA reported.
In his articled devoted to the 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Russia and Azerbaijan, Lavrov noted that Moscow continues to pay considerable attention to the Nagorno-Karabakh problem
Lavrov stressed that Russia is sincerely interested in making sure that peace and tranquility return to the region, that people no longer die there, the borders open and economic ties resume,
"We are doing our utmost for this. We carry out our mediation missions both on our own and in collaboration with other countries, the co-chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group, the United States and France,” Lavrov said. "Thanks to the mediators’ assistance, the parties have been able to narrow the gap in the stances on many points of contention. The basic settlement principles have been generally agreed on. However, Armenia and Azerbaijan have different visions of the sequence of their implementation."
The FM said Moscow expects that Baku and Yerevan will show political will and readiness for mutual concessions.
“This is necessary to make the negotiation process meaningful," he emphasized. "Of course, an important precondition for making progress is easing tensions in the conflict zone and abandoning attempts to resolve the crisis by force."
"For its part, Russia is prepared to support the solution to the problem, which will suit all parties involved, and, if an agreement is reached, to act as a guarantor of the settlement along with other mediators," Lavrov added.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2017“Peace Ambassador” of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform from Ukraine appointed
- 23.05.2017Polish magazine dedicates article to Khojaly genocide
- 23.05.2017PACE co-rapporteurs to make proposal in relation to Karabakh conflict
- 23.05.2017Armenians warned over planned anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Russia’s Kursk
- 22.05.2017McAllister: European Parliament not responsible for some MEPs’ visits to Nagorno-Karabakh
- 21.05.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 20.05.2017German FM: CE monitoring instruments’ should have access to Nagorno-Karabakh and seven surrounding regions
- 20.05.2017Armenian soldier violating ceasefire killed
- 19.05.2017Azerbaijani defense ministry comments on video spread by Armenians
- 19.05.2017Association of European Journalists joins to Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 19.05.2017Baku says OSCE MG co-chairs’ latest statement is ‘symptomatic’ in nature
- 19.05.2017The Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group released statement on the recent escalation in Nagorno Karabakh conflict zone
- 18.05.2017Moscow urges Karabakh conflict sides to avoid further escalation
- 18.05.201725 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Lachin district by Armenia
- 17.05.2017OSCE chairman to visit South Caucasus – press officer
- 17.05.2017Russian historian: People believe Russia occupied Karabakh and will never admit it
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani Defense Ministry commented on reports that spread on some media about Armenia possible to shoot the helicopter of Defense Minister
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan approves rules for ensuring security in frontline settlements
- 16.05.2017OSCE PA draft resolution urges Karabakh conflict parties to return to negotiation table
- 15.05.2017OSA missile system of Armenia was destroyed
- 14.05.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.05.2017OSCE MG co-chairs likely to visit the region in coming months
- 12.05.2017Peace ambassador of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform from Russia appointed
- 12.05.2017Listing of people who went missing during Karabakh conflict almost finished
- 12.05.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform members hold meeting
- 10.05.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform presented at int’l forum in Egypt
- 10.05.2017Hoagland: US should play more active role in Karabakh settlement process
- 10.05.2017Hoagland: US, Russia will continue to cooperate on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 10.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia's occupation policy is attack not only on Azerbaijan, but also on historical and cultural heritage of Islam
- 10.05.2017OSCE MG US co-chair calls for serious high-level talks on Karabakh conflict
- 10.05.2017ICRC in Nagorno-Karabakh visits Azerbaijani detainees
- 09.05.2017Ambassador: Belarus supports peaceful settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict
- 09.05.2017Three Armenian soldiers drown as a result of accident
- 08.05.2017Azerbaijan removes Spanish journalist from ‘black list’
- 08.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Hope France’s efforts to contribute to fair settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 08.05.2017Azerbaijani MP: Great powers can silence Armenia within hours
- 08.05.2017Occupation of Shusha was part of Armenia’s systematic policy of aggression against Azerbaijan – Foreign Ministry
- 07.05.2017Azerbaijan arrests group of servicemen, civilians involved in conspiracy with Armenian intelligence services
- 07.05.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 121 times
- 06.05.2017Baku says scheme of coordinated actions needed for Armenia’s withdrawal from Azerbaijani lands
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijani President: "We highly appreciate Russia's efforts to settle the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 05.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenian leadership tries to create global confrontation
- 05.04.2017Azerbaijan organizes foreign students’ trip to Jojug Marjanli
- 04.04.2017Doctor of historical sciences of Istanbul University joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijani FM: Armenia trying every possible way to avoid Karabakh talks after St. Petersburg meeting
- 04.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "The conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh must be resolved within the framework of the resolutions adopted by the UN Security Council"