Lavrov: Moscow expects Baku, Yerevan will show political will for mutual concessions
Moscow expects Baku and Yerevan will demonstrate political will and readiness for mutual concessions, Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said in an article in newspaper Bakinskiy Rabochiy, APA reported.
In his articled devoted to the 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Russia and Azerbaijan, Lavrov noted that Moscow continues to pay considerable attention to the Nagorno-Karabakh problem
Lavrov stressed that Russia is sincerely interested in making sure that peace and tranquility return to the region, that people no longer die there, the borders open and economic ties resume,
"We are doing our utmost for this. We carry out our mediation missions both on our own and in collaboration with other countries, the co-chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group, the United States and France,” Lavrov said. "Thanks to the mediators’ assistance, the parties have been able to narrow the gap in the stances on many points of contention. The basic settlement principles have been generally agreed on. However, Armenia and Azerbaijan have different visions of the sequence of their implementation."
The FM said Moscow expects that Baku and Yerevan will show political will and readiness for mutual concessions.
“This is necessary to make the negotiation process meaningful," he emphasized. "Of course, an important precondition for making progress is easing tensions in the conflict zone and abandoning attempts to resolve the crisis by force."
"For its part, Russia is prepared to support the solution to the problem, which will suit all parties involved, and, if an agreement is reached, to act as a guarantor of the settlement along with other mediators," Lavrov added.
Related news releases
- 14.12.2017Turkey: Armenia must be held accountable for crimes in Azerbaijan’s Khojaly
- 14.12.2017ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijani serviceman killed in Armenian ceasefire violation
- 13.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia, which destroyed sacred mosques, cannot be a friend of Muslim countries
- 12.12.2017France ambassador to Armenia: Karabakh conflict not “frozen”
- 11.12.2017Lukashevich: 2017 best remembered for resumption of Karabakh peace talks
- 11.12.2017Foreign diplomats hail work done in Azerbaijan to improve IDPs’ living conditions – Hikmat Hajiyev
- 11.12.2017American researcher: Territorial integrity, sovereignty of states must be respected
- 11.12.2017France will continue to work towards Karabakh conflict settlement – envoy
- 11.12.2017Foreign diplomats in Azerbaijan, journalists, heads of int’l organizations visit Tartar district
- 10.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 115 times
- 09.12.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.12.2017Armenian army opens fire at village in Azerbaijan’s Aghdam
- 08.12.2017Lavrov: Work underway to increase number of OSCE observers for Karabakh conflict
- 08.12.2017Direct dialogue over Karabakh settlement doesn’t produce any visible progress, says Russian FM
- 08.12.2017Lavrov: December 7 statement affirms principles for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 07.12.2017Elmar Mammadyarov: “Certain forces in the region are not interested in changing status-quo”
- 07.12.2017Co-chair countries issue joint statement on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 07.12.2017Baku supports dialogue between Armenian and Azerbaijani communities of Nagorno-Karabakh
- 07.12.2017Ukrainian FM calls for increased efforts to settle conflicts on territories of Azerbaijan, Georgia and Moldova
- 07.12.2017U.S. supports Minsk Group efforts to find solution to Karabakh conflict – Tillerson
- 07.12.2017OSCE PA President: Increasingly intense hostilities in Nagorno-Karabakh cause deep concern
- 07.12.2017Foreign Ministry: Next meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian Foreign Ministers in January
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani FM meets OSCE MG Co-Chairs in Vienna
- 06.12.2017Armenian FM meets OSCE MG co-chairs in Vienna
- 06.12.2017European Court of Human Rights to deliver new judgment in case of Chiragov and others v. Armenia
- 06.12.2017Armenia conducts military exercises in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijani parl’t deputy speaker highlights illicit drug trafficking in Nagorno-Karabakh at int’l conference in Moscow
- 03.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 126 times
- 01.12.2017Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,700 times in November
- 01.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Status quo in Karabakh conflict must be changed
- 30.11.2017ANAMA carries out cleaning in area selected for new irrigation canal in Jabrayil district
- 30.11.2017Historian Kuznetsov: Threat of ‘Armenian terrorism’ on the rise in Russia
- 30.11.2017Cavusoglu: Turkey continues efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 29.11.2017Turkish FM meets with OSCE MG co-chairs in Ankara
- 29.11.2017FM: Costa Rica supports peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 29.11.2017Armenia again launches military exercises in Azerbaijan’s occupied lands
- 28.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: EaP summit declaration reaffirms support for territorial integrity of member countries
- 28.11.2017Armenian historian: Karabakh – integral, unique part of Azerbaijan
- 28.11.2017Armenia hands over body of Azerbaijani soldier
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijani President: "We highly appreciate Russia's efforts to settle the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 05.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenian leadership tries to create global confrontation
- 05.04.2017Azerbaijan organizes foreign students’ trip to Jojug Marjanli
- 04.04.2017Doctor of historical sciences of Istanbul University joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijani FM: Armenia trying every possible way to avoid Karabakh talks after St. Petersburg meeting
- 04.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "The conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh must be resolved within the framework of the resolutions adopted by the UN Security Council"