Lavrov: Moscow expects Baku, Yerevan will show political will for mutual concessions
Moscow expects Baku and Yerevan will demonstrate political will and readiness for mutual concessions, Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said in an article in newspaper Bakinskiy Rabochiy, APA reported.
In his articled devoted to the 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Russia and Azerbaijan, Lavrov noted that Moscow continues to pay considerable attention to the Nagorno-Karabakh problem
Lavrov stressed that Russia is sincerely interested in making sure that peace and tranquility return to the region, that people no longer die there, the borders open and economic ties resume,
"We are doing our utmost for this. We carry out our mediation missions both on our own and in collaboration with other countries, the co-chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group, the United States and France,” Lavrov said. "Thanks to the mediators’ assistance, the parties have been able to narrow the gap in the stances on many points of contention. The basic settlement principles have been generally agreed on. However, Armenia and Azerbaijan have different visions of the sequence of their implementation."
The FM said Moscow expects that Baku and Yerevan will show political will and readiness for mutual concessions.
“This is necessary to make the negotiation process meaningful," he emphasized. "Of course, an important precondition for making progress is easing tensions in the conflict zone and abandoning attempts to resolve the crisis by force."
"For its part, Russia is prepared to support the solution to the problem, which will suit all parties involved, and, if an agreement is reached, to act as a guarantor of the settlement along with other mediators," Lavrov added.
Related news releases
- 18.10.2017Armenians attempt provocation at int’l festival in Sochi
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani State Commission informed of Shahbaz Guliyev’s relocation to Yerevan and return
- 17.10.2017OSCE Chairmanship welcomes fresh commitment by Presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 17.10.2017Novruz Mammadov: Sargsyan does not want to give up his habit of derailing talks
- 17.10.2017UN Secretary General welcomes summit between Presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 16.10.2017Sargsyan: We agreed to take measures to further reduce tension on front line
- 16.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs will hold working sessions with Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs in near future
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents hold one-on meeting in Geneva
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents meet in Geneva
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet today
- 15.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 112 times
- 12.10.2017Meeting between the presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia to be held in Geneva next week
- 12.10.2017OSCE monitors border area between Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 11.10.2017Armenian soldier killed in retaliation by Azerbaijani army
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s attempts to disrupt Karabakh talks failed - UPDATED
- 08.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 87 times
- 07.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs arrives in Baku
- 06.10.2017Book “Children – Innocent Victims of War” published in Azerbaijan
- 06.10.2017Ziyafat Asgarov: If separatism in Karabakh had been prevented earlier, there would not be Kurdish, Catalan crises
- 06.10.2017Organization of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents’ meeting discussed in Yerevan
- 06.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs meet with Armenian FM
- 06.10.2017Georgian Parl’t: No real int’l mediation for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 06.10.2017EU supports efforts towards Nagorno Karabakh conflict settlement
- 05.10.2017Armenians appeal to Russian Investigative Committee over historian Kuznetsov’s interviews to APA Information Agency
- 05.10.2017Armenian media distorts Czech Senate president’s remarks about Azerbaijan
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia’s actions contradict basic principles of Christianity
- 05.10.2017US co-chair of OSCE MG visits Nagorno Karabakh
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijani President: "The absence of pressure on the aggressor at the international level is one of the reasons for the unresolved conflict"
- 04.10.2017FM Mammadyarov: Karabakh conflict must be resolved only within Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 04.10.2017Moscow does not rule out discussion of Karabakh conflict at CIS FMs’ meeting in Sochi
- 04.10.2017Azerbaijani FM: Armenia failed to fulfill commitment on Karabakh settlement since accession to Council of Europe
- 04.10.2017Turkey urges citizens not to travel to occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 03.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to arrive in Baku on Oct. 7
- 03.10.2017Ukraine committed to supporting Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity – FM
- 02.10.2017“Catalonia referendum was one of events that were huge support to Azerbaijan in respect of Karabakh problem”
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijan commemorates 25th anniversary of Khojavand occupation by Armenia
- 02.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to visit region this week
- 01.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 140 times
- 30.09.2017ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 30.09.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijani President: "We highly appreciate Russia's efforts to settle the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 05.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenian leadership tries to create global confrontation
- 05.04.2017Azerbaijan organizes foreign students’ trip to Jojug Marjanli
- 04.04.2017Doctor of historical sciences of Istanbul University joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijani FM: Armenia trying every possible way to avoid Karabakh talks after St. Petersburg meeting
- 04.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "The conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh must be resolved within the framework of the resolutions adopted by the UN Security Council"