Lavrov: Moscow expects Baku, Yerevan will show political will for mutual concessions
Moscow expects Baku and Yerevan will demonstrate political will and readiness for mutual concessions, Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said in an article in newspaper Bakinskiy Rabochiy, APA reported.
In his articled devoted to the 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Russia and Azerbaijan, Lavrov noted that Moscow continues to pay considerable attention to the Nagorno-Karabakh problem
Lavrov stressed that Russia is sincerely interested in making sure that peace and tranquility return to the region, that people no longer die there, the borders open and economic ties resume,
"We are doing our utmost for this. We carry out our mediation missions both on our own and in collaboration with other countries, the co-chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group, the United States and France,” Lavrov said. "Thanks to the mediators’ assistance, the parties have been able to narrow the gap in the stances on many points of contention. The basic settlement principles have been generally agreed on. However, Armenia and Azerbaijan have different visions of the sequence of their implementation."
The FM said Moscow expects that Baku and Yerevan will show political will and readiness for mutual concessions.
“This is necessary to make the negotiation process meaningful," he emphasized. "Of course, an important precondition for making progress is easing tensions in the conflict zone and abandoning attempts to resolve the crisis by force."
"For its part, Russia is prepared to support the solution to the problem, which will suit all parties involved, and, if an agreement is reached, to act as a guarantor of the settlement along with other mediators," Lavrov added.
Related news releases
- 23.08.2017UNICEF comments on killing of two-year-old Zahra by Armenians
- 23.08.201724 years passed since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli and Jabrayil districts by Armenian armed forces
- 20.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 127 times
- 17.08.2017Russia says Karabakh settlement among its ‘foreign policy priorities’
- 16.08.2017Richard Hoagland: We hope Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents will soon resume direct negotiations
- 13.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 136 times
- 12.08.2017Armenia shatters ceasefire 132 times
- 11.08.2017Richard Hoagland: Time has come for conflict parties to take steps to boost confidence
- 11.08.2017Co-chair: I hope that during next summit presidents will announce certain steps
- 11.08.2017Armenians again set fire to Azerbaijan's occupied territories
- 09.08.2017Azerbaijani Ombudsperson calls on int’l organizations over latest Armenian provocation
- 09.08.2017No incident during OSCE monitoring on contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 09.08.2017Andrzej Kasprzyk meets with head of Aghdam executive authority
- 08.08.2017Defence Ministry: One of members of enemy sabotage group was killed
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijani state committee issues statement on latest Armenian provocation
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijani MFA: Left unpunished, Armenia dares to target civilians, civil facilities
- 08.08.2017Armenians shelled village in Tovuz, 13-year-old boy injured
- 07.08.2017Iranian MFA: Karabakh talks should be continued
- 07.08.2017Draft resolution titled ‘The situation in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan’ put on agenda of UN General Assembly session
- 06.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 146 times
- 02.08.2017Armenian soldier detained for attempting to sell power supply of ‘Igla’ missile
- 30.07.2017Armed forces of Armenia fired at the settlements of Gazakh, Agstafa and Tovuz regions
- 30.07.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 140 times
- 28.07.2017Co-coordinators of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform meet with French writer
- 27.07.2017Azerbaijan Department of "The House of Friendship" in Volgograd joins Peace Platform
- 26.07.2017Azerbaijani foreign ministry, defense ministry issue joint statement
- 25.07.2017Armenia once again used combat UAVs
- 24.07.2017Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia 'uninterested' in negotiated resolution of Karabakh conflict
- 23.07.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 23.07.201724 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Aghdam district by Armenia
- 20.07.2017U.S. Department of State: The U.S. we will not accept the results of the so-called elections in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijan says UN support for substantive talks on Karabakh settlement ‘highly appreciated’
- 20.07.2017Moscow: Place of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents’ meeting not determined
- 19.07.2017Armenian soldier wounded in landmine explosion
- 19.07.2017Armenians set fire to Azerbaijan’s occupied territories
- 19.07.2017Lukashevich: Co-chairs are not wizards, they cannot ensure desired level of security in region
- 19.07.2017Lapshin’s final statement: I feel sorry about what happened
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijan says use of water resources as a means of eco terror and pressure is state policy in Armenia
- 19.07.2017Lukashevich: OSCE MG co-chairs prepare for meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs in New York
- 19.07.2017Turkey urges Armenia to stop military provocations against Azerbaijan
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijani President: "We highly appreciate Russia's efforts to settle the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 05.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenian leadership tries to create global confrontation
- 05.04.2017Azerbaijan organizes foreign students’ trip to Jojug Marjanli
- 04.04.2017Doctor of historical sciences of Istanbul University joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijani FM: Armenia trying every possible way to avoid Karabakh talks after St. Petersburg meeting
- 04.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "The conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh must be resolved within the framework of the resolutions adopted by the UN Security Council"