Lavrov: Moscow expects Baku, Yerevan will show political will for mutual concessions
Moscow expects Baku and Yerevan will demonstrate political will and readiness for mutual concessions, Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said in an article in newspaper Bakinskiy Rabochiy, APA reported.
In his articled devoted to the 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Russia and Azerbaijan, Lavrov noted that Moscow continues to pay considerable attention to the Nagorno-Karabakh problem
Lavrov stressed that Russia is sincerely interested in making sure that peace and tranquility return to the region, that people no longer die there, the borders open and economic ties resume,
"We are doing our utmost for this. We carry out our mediation missions both on our own and in collaboration with other countries, the co-chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group, the United States and France,” Lavrov said. "Thanks to the mediators’ assistance, the parties have been able to narrow the gap in the stances on many points of contention. The basic settlement principles have been generally agreed on. However, Armenia and Azerbaijan have different visions of the sequence of their implementation."
The FM said Moscow expects that Baku and Yerevan will show political will and readiness for mutual concessions.
“This is necessary to make the negotiation process meaningful," he emphasized. "Of course, an important precondition for making progress is easing tensions in the conflict zone and abandoning attempts to resolve the crisis by force."
"For its part, Russia is prepared to support the solution to the problem, which will suit all parties involved, and, if an agreement is reached, to act as a guarantor of the settlement along with other mediators," Lavrov added.
Related news releases
- 24.04.2017‘Peace Ambassador’ of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform from Poland appointed
- 24.04.2017Foreign doctors to examine Azerbaijanis held hostage by Armenians: State Commission
- 23.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 114 times
- 21.04.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform, NGO “The Caucasus Interface” agree upon cooperation
- 21.04.2017Russian, Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs likely to meet on April 27
- 20.04.2017Polish health worker joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 20.04.2017Kamran Imanov: To justify its territorial claims, Armenia continues appropriation of Azerbaijan’s cultural heritage
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan pleased with stance of Muslim countries on Karabakh conflict – PA official
- 19.04.2017Russian, Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs may meet in Moscow
- 19.04.2017Associate Professor of Belarusian State University joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijan to blacklist foreign companies operating illegally in its occupied territories
- 18.04.2017Russian Orthodox Church comments on CMO’s Khojaly appeal
- 17.04.2017Chairman of Association for Polish-Azerbaijani Cooperation joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 17.04.2017Head of Israeli Research Center joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 16.04.2017Azerbaijan Defense Minister met with Secretary of the Supreme National Security Council of Iran
- 16.04.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 120 times
- 14.04.2017Grandson of Armenian Drama Theater founder joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 13.04.2017Moldovan political analyst joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 12.04.2017FM: Azerbaijan ready to provide all guarantees to both Armenian and Azerbaijani communities of Nagorno-Karabakh
- 12.04.2017German MP: Escalations of armed violence have to be prevented in order not to allow Khojaly tragedy to happen again
- 12.04.2017Professor of Tel-Aviv University joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 11.04.2017OSCE announced details of its activities in the direction of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict settlement in its annual report
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijani FM calls for international pressure on Armenia
- 11.04.2017PABSEC: One out of every nine people in Azerbaijan is refugee or IDP
- 11.04.2017Ukrainian branch of Int’l Human Rights Society joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijani FM: Common approach and principles should be applied to all conflicts
- 11.04.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2017NATO says ‘it doesn’t want to even think of possibility of Armenia-Azerbaijan war’
- 10.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Extradition to Azerbaijan of person who illegally visited Karabakh was a lesson to others
- 10.04.2017Azerbaijani president: Restoration of Jojug Marjanli is a historic event
- 10.04.2017Russian branch of Int’l Human Rights Society joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 09.04.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 132 times
- 07.04.2017Lukashenko calls on CIS to play active role in resolving conflicts in post-Soviet space
- 07.04.2017International Human Rights Society joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 07.04.2017French journalist appeals to Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry
- 07.04.2017EU says status quo in Nagorno-Karabakh unacceptable
- 06.04.2017Human rights activist Saadat Bananyarli joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 06.04.2017Azerbaijan erects monument to soldiers martyred fighting for Lele Tepe
- 06.04.2017March held in Horadiz to celebrate anniversary of April victories
- 06.04.2017Israeli envoy: There was hope for Karabakh conflict settlement after last year’s April escalation
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijani President: "We highly appreciate Russia's efforts to settle the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 05.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenian leadership tries to create global confrontation
- 05.04.2017Azerbaijan organizes foreign students’ trip to Jojug Marjanli
- 04.04.2017Doctor of historical sciences of Istanbul University joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijani FM: Armenia trying every possible way to avoid Karabakh talks after St. Petersburg meeting
- 04.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "The conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh must be resolved within the framework of the resolutions adopted by the UN Security Council"