Lavrov: Moscow expects Baku, Yerevan will show political will for mutual concessions
Moscow expects Baku and Yerevan will demonstrate political will and readiness for mutual concessions, Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said in an article in newspaper Bakinskiy Rabochiy, APA reported.
In his articled devoted to the 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Russia and Azerbaijan, Lavrov noted that Moscow continues to pay considerable attention to the Nagorno-Karabakh problem
Lavrov stressed that Russia is sincerely interested in making sure that peace and tranquility return to the region, that people no longer die there, the borders open and economic ties resume,
"We are doing our utmost for this. We carry out our mediation missions both on our own and in collaboration with other countries, the co-chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group, the United States and France,” Lavrov said. "Thanks to the mediators’ assistance, the parties have been able to narrow the gap in the stances on many points of contention. The basic settlement principles have been generally agreed on. However, Armenia and Azerbaijan have different visions of the sequence of their implementation."
The FM said Moscow expects that Baku and Yerevan will show political will and readiness for mutual concessions.
“This is necessary to make the negotiation process meaningful," he emphasized. "Of course, an important precondition for making progress is easing tensions in the conflict zone and abandoning attempts to resolve the crisis by force."
"For its part, Russia is prepared to support the solution to the problem, which will suit all parties involved, and, if an agreement is reached, to act as a guarantor of the settlement along with other mediators," Lavrov added.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2018FM: Armenia to resume Karabakh peace process in near future
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets personal representative of OSCE Chairman-in-Office
- 23.05.2018Russia vows to continue active role in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 23.05.2018ECHR soon to hear case of Azerbaijanis held hostage by Armenia – attorney
- 22.05.2018Baku: Armenia bears int’l legal responsibility for occupation of Azerbaijani territories
- 20.05.2018A serviceman of the Azerbaijan Army was killed as a result of another provocation of Armenia
- 20.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 93 times
- 18.05.201826 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Lachin district by Armenia
- 17.05.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit region next month
- 17.05.2018Baku: It’s time for Armenian MFA to change ‘same old song’
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijani MFA spokesman issues statement on 26th anniversary of occupation of Lachin by Armenia
- 16.05.2018Crisis Group expert: New gov’t in Armenia opens up new opportunities for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 16.05.2018Armenia’s occupation policy hinders peace in region: Azerbaijani parl’t speaker
- 15.05.2018OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs issue statement on Paris meeting
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan reiterates readiness to intensify talks for early settlement of Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 14.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov to discuss Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict with OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs
- 14.05.2018FM: Resettlement of Syrian Armenians in occupied Azerbaijani territories ‘unacceptable’
- 14.05.2018Armenia-Azerbaiajn Peace Platform holds meeting
- 13.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 89 times
- 12.05.2018Ali Ahmadov: If Pashinyan does not understand need for fair settlement of conflict, this is beginning of his tragedy
- 12.05.201824 years pass since declaration of ceasefire between Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Tigran Balayan trying to be extra active seeking promotion in new Armenian gov’t
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan slams Pashinyan’s proposal to accept separatist Karabakh regime as party in talks
- 10.05.2018Pashinyan’s statements contradict negotiation principles, says Azerbaijani diplomat
- 10.05.2018Bayram Safarov: Pashinyan will someday regret that he visited Shusha
- 09.05.2018Hikmat Hajiyev: The new Prime Minister of Armenia makes controversial statements about the negotiation process
- 09.05.2018Armenia’s new PM visits occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan allows some foreign media representatives to visit Nagorno-Karabakh
- 08.05.2018Six foreigners attempt to trespass Armenia-Azerbaijan border
- 08.05.2018Pashinyan says ready for talks with Azerbaijan on Karabakh conflict
- 08.05.2018“Serzh Sargsyan's resignation was overdue”
- 08.05.2018Nagorno-Karabakh is not disputed territory, Azerbaijan says
- 08.05.2018Azerbaijan says Armenia’s position impedes political settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 08.05.201826 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan's Shusha city by Armenia
- 07.05.2018Deputy parliament speaker: Nagorno-Karabakh population would have been better off now had they not revolted against Azerbaijan
- 06.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 82 times
- 04.05.2018Russian MFA comments on possible impact of Armenian political turmoil on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 03.05.2018Crisis Group: Armenia’s political fragility could contribute to escalation of conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh
- 29.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 87 times
- 27.04.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 90 times
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijani President: "We highly appreciate Russia's efforts to settle the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 05.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenian leadership tries to create global confrontation
- 05.04.2017Azerbaijan organizes foreign students’ trip to Jojug Marjanli
- 04.04.2017Doctor of historical sciences of Istanbul University joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijani FM: Armenia trying every possible way to avoid Karabakh talks after St. Petersburg meeting
- 04.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "The conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh must be resolved within the framework of the resolutions adopted by the UN Security Council"