Khalaf Khalafov: Armenia encourages relocation of Syrian and Lebanese Armenians to occupied Azerbaijani territories
Solving the problems of refugees and internally displaced persons necessitates respect for territorial integrity of countries, ending double standards, and joint humanitarian efforts, said Azerbaijan’s Deputy Foreign Minister Khalaf Khalafov.
These problems lead to transnational crime and illegal drug trafficking, said Khalafov addressing a meeting of the PACE Committee on Migration, Refugees and Displaced Persons in Baku March 15.
He noted that over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and IDPs as a result of Armenia’s military aggression.
“Despite the vast scale of the problem, the Azerbaijani government has achieved significant results in improving the people's social well-being, education, etc. Within the country and beyond, Azerbaijan provides assistance to refugees and displaced persons,” said Khalafov.
The Azerbaijani government has established a legislative system in this area, said the deputy minister, adding: “As a result, housing has improved and the poverty rate has declined. However, their problem will be fully resolved once the occupied lands have been liberated. In this regard, the government has prepared the Great Return Program.”
He pointed that the Azerbaijani government has already begun the restoration of the Jabrayil district’s Jojug Marjanli village, which was liberated from Armenian occupation last year.
Khalafov noted that the European Court of Human Rights in its judgment on the case of Chiragov and others called for the restoration of the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan.
"The PACE resolutions also express support for the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan,” he said.
Khalafov also touched upon illegal arms sale and drug trafficking in the occupied Azerbaijani territories.
“I also want to note that the occupied Azerbaijani lands have turned into a place of illegal sale of narcotic drugs and weapons. The fight against transnational crime and the illicit drug trafficking will not be effective unless the world community addresses this issue from a common position,” he added.
According to him, there is a double-standard approach, which hinders the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
Khalafov stressed that Armenia is deliberately conducting a policy of relocation to Azerbaijani territories, in a bid to prevent the return of [Azerbaijani] IDPs to their native lands.
“Armenia has committed acts of genocide and crimes against humanity. In 1992, Armenia committed an act of genocide against civilians in the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly. Although massacres in Khojaly have been recognized by several states as genocide, some countries still remain indifferent to this. It is unacceptable,” he said.
According to international law, Armenia's policy of illegal relocation is a war crime, he added.
"Armenia encourages the relocation of Armenians living in Syria and Lebanon to the occupied Azerbaijani territories. This action of Armenia should be given international assessment,” said Khalafov.
Khalafov expressed confidence that Azerbaijan will soon liberate its occupied lands and resolve the problem of refugees and internally displaced persons, urging the international community to support Azerbaijan in its just cause.
Related news releases
- 22.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 97 times
- 20.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.04.2018Karabakh conflict should be resolved through negotiations, compromises
- 19.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Jojug Marjanli has become symbol of our revival
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Let world know that not only Karabakh but also present-day Armenia is historical Azerbaijani land
- 18.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2018Prosecutor General Zakir Garalov appeals to Russian counterpart over anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Izvestia newspaper
- 16.04.2018Russian newspaper Izvestiya commits provocation against Azerbaijan
- 13.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2018Yemeni blogger apologizes for illegal trip to Karabakh, escapes Azerbaijan's "black list"
- 09.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Legal framework created for settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 09.04.2018Ariel Cohen: Sides will eventually understand importance of settling Karabakh conflict on basis of UNSC decisions
- 08.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 86 times
- 06.04.2018Italy’s OSCE Chairmanship says not keen on creating new formats for Karabakh talks
- 06.04.2018OSCE hopes meeting between Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents could soon take place
- 06.04.2018Syria’s UN envoy comments on reports on deployment of terrorists from Syria in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 06.04.2018Another ceasefire violation from Armenia
- 05.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "The main reason for the unsettledness of the Karabakh problem is that Armenia does not want to change the status quo"
- 05.04.2018Nothing being done to implement decisions on Karabakh problem – Turkish FM
- 05.04.2018Status quo in Karabakh conflict will never be accepted – FM Mammadyarov
- 05.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 04.04.2018Minsk Group format shows co-op possible for sake of European security: OSCE Sec-Gen
- 04.04.2018Azerbaijan to present note of protest to France
- 04.04.2018Former Nagorno-Karabakh commandant: ‘All illegal armed groups were disarmed during my time’
- 04.04.2018Washington Times publishes article by Azerbaijani ambassador on 25th anniversary of occupation of Kalbajar
- 04.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.04.2018Russia to grant Armenia interest-free loan for purchase of Iskander missile systems – report
- 03.04.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 02.04.2018Indian gov’t has nothing to do with exhibition organized in Khankendi – embassy
- 02.04.2018Azerbaijani MFA spokesman issues statement on occupation of Kalbajar region and April escalation of 2016
- 02.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,100 times in March
- 02.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 01.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 105 times
- 30.03.2018Ogtay Asadov: Illusion of “greater Armenia” has always brought disasters on South Caucasus
- 29.03.2018Russian FM and OSCE Secretary General to discuss Karabakh conflict
- 29.03.20183 HALO Trust employees killed, 2 injured in landmine explosion in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 29.03.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 28.03.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 27.03.2018Baku says Armenian FM has special phobia against substantive negotiations
- 15.03.2017Books by Lithuanian authors on Armenian aggression presented in Baku
- 15.03.2017Georgian professor joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 15.03.2017French president urges progress towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity cannot be negotiated
- 15.03.2017French President: “The existing status quo in Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is unacceptable”
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijani President: “For the first stage, negotiations should be resumed as soon as possible”