Khalaf Khalafov: Armenia encourages relocation of Syrian and Lebanese Armenians to occupied Azerbaijani territories
Solving the problems of refugees and internally displaced persons necessitates respect for territorial integrity of countries, ending double standards, and joint humanitarian efforts, said Azerbaijan’s Deputy Foreign Minister Khalaf Khalafov.
These problems lead to transnational crime and illegal drug trafficking, said Khalafov addressing a meeting of the PACE Committee on Migration, Refugees and Displaced Persons in Baku March 15.
He noted that over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and IDPs as a result of Armenia’s military aggression.
“Despite the vast scale of the problem, the Azerbaijani government has achieved significant results in improving the people's social well-being, education, etc. Within the country and beyond, Azerbaijan provides assistance to refugees and displaced persons,” said Khalafov.
The Azerbaijani government has established a legislative system in this area, said the deputy minister, adding: “As a result, housing has improved and the poverty rate has declined. However, their problem will be fully resolved once the occupied lands have been liberated. In this regard, the government has prepared the Great Return Program.”
He pointed that the Azerbaijani government has already begun the restoration of the Jabrayil district’s Jojug Marjanli village, which was liberated from Armenian occupation last year.
Khalafov noted that the European Court of Human Rights in its judgment on the case of Chiragov and others called for the restoration of the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan.
"The PACE resolutions also express support for the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan,” he said.
Khalafov also touched upon illegal arms sale and drug trafficking in the occupied Azerbaijani territories.
“I also want to note that the occupied Azerbaijani lands have turned into a place of illegal sale of narcotic drugs and weapons. The fight against transnational crime and the illicit drug trafficking will not be effective unless the world community addresses this issue from a common position,” he added.
According to him, there is a double-standard approach, which hinders the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
Khalafov stressed that Armenia is deliberately conducting a policy of relocation to Azerbaijani territories, in a bid to prevent the return of [Azerbaijani] IDPs to their native lands.
“Armenia has committed acts of genocide and crimes against humanity. In 1992, Armenia committed an act of genocide against civilians in the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly. Although massacres in Khojaly have been recognized by several states as genocide, some countries still remain indifferent to this. It is unacceptable,” he said.
According to international law, Armenia's policy of illegal relocation is a war crime, he added.
"Armenia encourages the relocation of Armenians living in Syria and Lebanon to the occupied Azerbaijani territories. This action of Armenia should be given international assessment,” said Khalafov.
Khalafov expressed confidence that Azerbaijan will soon liberate its occupied lands and resolve the problem of refugees and internally displaced persons, urging the international community to support Azerbaijan in its just cause.
Related news releases
- 17.06.2018News about the alleged flights of "fighter aircraft" of Armenia over Khankendi – the next information adventurism of the enemy
- 17.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 83 times
- 15.06.2018Zakharova: Creating favorable atmosphere key to resolving Karabakh conflict
- 15.06.2018Kremlin: Too early to talk about further Aliyev-Pashinyan meetings
- 15.06.2018Separatist Nagorno-Karabakh regime's ex-minister of defense released
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in near future: OSCE MG co-chairs
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani official calls Armenian president’s visit to Nagorno-Karabakh illegal
- 13.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The visit of the Armenian president to the Kalbajar region is a provocation"
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs meet Armenian PM
- 13.06.2018Armenian president visits occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs arrive in Armenia
- 12.06.2018MFA: Azerbaijan to keep increasing its defense capability as long as Armenia continues occupation policy
- 11.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The statements of the Armenian FM confirm that Armenia is a party to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 10.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 144 times
- 09.06.2018MEP: I and my group will never pay illegal visit to Nagorno Karabakh
- 09.06.2018MP: Liberation of occupied lands in Nakhchivan is triumph of Azerbaijani president’s policy
- 09.06.2018Ilham Aliyev: I hope ACRE will adequately assess fact of occupation of Azerbaijani lands
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani Army liberated over 11 thousand hectares of land in Nakhchivan
- 08.06.2018OSCE representatives visit Tartar district executive authority
- 07.06.2018Russian FM responds to Armenian PM’s idea that Nagorno-Karabakh should join negotiations as a party
- 07.06.2018Russia says will continue to help sides find solution to Karabakh conflict
- 07.06.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry responds to Armenian PM’s statement
- 07.06.2018Popov: OSCE MG co-chairs’ planned visit to Armenia aims to hold talks with new gov’t
- 07.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "I hope that the new leadership of Armenia will not repeat the mistakes of the previous government"
- 06.06.2018Australian Senate expresses support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 05.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Armenia on June 13
- 03.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 82 times
- 01.06.2018Russian Foreign Ministry considers Pashinyan’s statement on settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict unconstructive
- 01.06.2018Oettinger: Karabakh conflict settlement ‘impossible’ without Russia
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev and Nikol Pashinyan can meet in coming weeks – Armenian FM
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Destruction of Azerbaijan’s historical, religious monuments by Armenia is unprecedented vandalism
- 30.05.2018Nagorno-Karabakh conflict to be discussed at OSCE PA session
- 29.05.2018Baku: Armenian soldiers' shooting at Azerbaijani civilians shows inadmissibility of status quo
- 29.05.2018Agricultural machinery in Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli hit by multiple bullets during Armenian shelling
- 28.05.2018President: Only way for Nagorno Karabakh conflict settlement is restoration of Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 28.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani army among world's 50 strongest armies
- 27.05.2018Azerbaijani, French FMs discuss Karabakh conflict settlement
- 27.05.2018French FM: France helping to find a peaceful resolution of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 27.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 86 times
- 27.05.2018Azerbaijani President: "The main issue of our foreign policy is the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 15.03.2017Books by Lithuanian authors on Armenian aggression presented in Baku
- 15.03.2017Georgian professor joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 15.03.2017French president urges progress towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity cannot be negotiated
- 15.03.2017French President: “The existing status quo in Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is unacceptable”
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijani President: “For the first stage, negotiations should be resumed as soon as possible”