Italy to contribute OSCE MG efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement – envoy
“We have been equidistant to maintain a moderate position. We will continue to do so also during the OSCE Chairmanship, pursuing political dialogue,” said the envoy.
The ambassador recalled that Italian Minister of Foreign Affairs Angelino Alfano introduced the priorities of his country’s OSCE chairmanship in Vienna on January 11 and mentioned the protracted Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
Referring to last week’s meeting in Krakow between the Azerbaijani and Armenian foreign ministers with the participation of the Minsk Group co-chairs, Ambassador Massari said the fact that the conflict has been going on for more than 25 years is a very heavy problem.
“Recently UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres stressed that the Minsk Group should take a proactive and dynamic approach in order to facilitate the settlement process. The co-chairs have been working in this direction for many years, and Italy hopes that their efforts will produce benefits. Italy will try to contribute to those efforts. We are confident that everybody wants to work for reconciliation. Italy has had some experience in conflict mediation in other areas of the world and experience tells us that we should work on what units the two parties in the conflict rather than what divides them,” he said.
“My country has always been a country willing and able to listen to anybody, to dialogue with anybody, with no prejudice. This is the way to follow: political dialogue, respecting the principles of the UN, the Helsinki Final Act and the Madrid principles with the mediation of the OSCE Minsk Group,” added the envoy.
According to Massari, the latest progress in the settlement process is positive.
“The increase of meetings between the two parties, in different formats, is significant because if you talk there is a possibility for reconciliation. If you do not talk, there is no chance,” he said.
Asked about a possible visit to the region of OSCE Chairperson-in-Office, Italian Foreign Minister Angelino Alfano, the ambassador said that it is impossible to predict future visits due to the [general] election to be held in Italy in March 2018.
“We have to wait for the March election to determine the visits. New parliament will be elected, new government will be established. The visit of the Italian Foreign Minister to Azerbaijan till March is likely to be impossible. If there is a new parliament, then there is a new government. If there is a new government, the ministers can be changed. I don’t know whether Alfano will again become Italy’s Foreign Minister after the election. It’s difficult to predict anything,” added the ambassador.
Related news releases
- 20.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Dialogue must be established between Armenian and Azerbaijani communities of Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA comments on Armenian president’s congratulatory message to illegal regime in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.02.2018Erdogan: One of greatest atrocities in human history happened in Khojaly
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani defense minister: War may break out at any time
- 19.02.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 122 times
- 17.02.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.02.2018Azerbaijan commemorates 26th anniversary of Garadaghli massacre
- 15.02.2018Moscow says hopes for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.02.2018Armenian saboteurs detained in Azerbaijan can be exchanged for Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev – State Commission
- 14.02.2018MFA: Armenia must finally understand that occupation of Azerbaijani lands will never produce desired political outcome
- 14.02.2018Russian musician off Azerbaijan’s ‘black list’
- 14.02.2018US Intelligence: Tension over Karabakh could develop into large-scale conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan
- 12.02.2018ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 12.02.2018Bulgaria president: Karabakh conflict can be settled only through peaceful means
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani FM: Attempts to change Nagorno-Karabakh’s demographics ‘gross violation’ of int’l humanitarian law
- 11.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 131 times
- 11.02.201826 years pass since occupation of Malibeyli, Gushchular villages of Azerbaijan’s Shusha
- 09.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs meets Armenian president
- 09.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Armenian troops’ presence in Azerbaijani territories remains major cause of non-settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 09.02.2018EU: Nagorno-Karabakh conflict a ‘very big challenge’
- 09.02.2018Mogherini: EU supports Azerbaijan’s sovereignty and territorial integrity
- 09.02.2018Baku: Nalbandian’s offensive attitude towards UNSC resolutions shows Armenia’s disrespect for UN Charter
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijani FM says there is ‘intensity, concrete and logical flow’ in Karabakh talks
- 09.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Armenian troops’ withdrawal from Azerbaijani territories key to political settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 08.02.2018Armenia becomes a political, economic, energy and transportation dead-end – Azerbaijani president
- 08.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia to remain isolated until occupied Azerbaijani lands get liberated
- 08.02.2018Armenian scientist banned from participating in Italy int’l conference for conducting research in Karabakh
- 08.02.2018Armenian soldier killed in retaliation by Azerbaijani army
- 07.02.2018Intensive talks to continue after presidential elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia – MFA
- 07.02.2018U.S. says will continue efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 07.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives OSCE MG co-chairs
- 06.02.2018Andrzej Kasprzyk visits Tartar District Executive Authority
- 04.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 130 times
- 03.02.2018Anti-Azerbaijan provocation prevented during scientific seminar in Moscow
- 02.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Nagorno-Karabakh
- 02.02.2018Foreign Ministry makes statement on scheduled visit of OSCE MG co-chairs to Azerbaijan
- 02.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Armenia on Feb. 7
- 01.02.2018Azerbaijan specifies conditions for increasing number of OSCE observers on contact line of troops
- 01.02.2018Russian FM talks about increasing number of OSCE observers in Karabakh conflict zone
- 25.01.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 25.01.2018Moscow stresses need to increase efficiency in Karabakh settlement process
- 25.01.2018Azerbaijan sends protest note to Canada over MPs’ illegal trip to Nagorno-Karabakh
- 24.01.2018Emanuel Macron: "Karabakh conflict settlement is of high importance"
- 23.01.2018Azerbaijan assesses Germany’s refusal to grant visas to Armenian separatists as support for its territorial integrity
- 21.01.2018Defense Ministry: News report spread by Armenian media has no basis