Italy to contribute OSCE MG efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement – envoy
“We have been equidistant to maintain a moderate position. We will continue to do so also during the OSCE Chairmanship, pursuing political dialogue,” said the envoy.
The ambassador recalled that Italian Minister of Foreign Affairs Angelino Alfano introduced the priorities of his country’s OSCE chairmanship in Vienna on January 11 and mentioned the protracted Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
Referring to last week’s meeting in Krakow between the Azerbaijani and Armenian foreign ministers with the participation of the Minsk Group co-chairs, Ambassador Massari said the fact that the conflict has been going on for more than 25 years is a very heavy problem.
“Recently UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres stressed that the Minsk Group should take a proactive and dynamic approach in order to facilitate the settlement process. The co-chairs have been working in this direction for many years, and Italy hopes that their efforts will produce benefits. Italy will try to contribute to those efforts. We are confident that everybody wants to work for reconciliation. Italy has had some experience in conflict mediation in other areas of the world and experience tells us that we should work on what units the two parties in the conflict rather than what divides them,” he said.
“My country has always been a country willing and able to listen to anybody, to dialogue with anybody, with no prejudice. This is the way to follow: political dialogue, respecting the principles of the UN, the Helsinki Final Act and the Madrid principles with the mediation of the OSCE Minsk Group,” added the envoy.
According to Massari, the latest progress in the settlement process is positive.
“The increase of meetings between the two parties, in different formats, is significant because if you talk there is a possibility for reconciliation. If you do not talk, there is no chance,” he said.
Asked about a possible visit to the region of OSCE Chairperson-in-Office, Italian Foreign Minister Angelino Alfano, the ambassador said that it is impossible to predict future visits due to the [general] election to be held in Italy in March 2018.
“We have to wait for the March election to determine the visits. New parliament will be elected, new government will be established. The visit of the Italian Foreign Minister to Azerbaijan till March is likely to be impossible. If there is a new parliament, then there is a new government. If there is a new government, the ministers can be changed. I don’t know whether Alfano will again become Italy’s Foreign Minister after the election. It’s difficult to predict anything,” added the ambassador.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijani-born Armenian arrives in Baku
- 25.05.2018No discussion yet on date of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs’ meeting – Mammadyarov
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijani FM: Proposing Karabakh separatists’ participation in talks means ‘killing’ peace process
- 25.05.2018FM: Azerbaijan ready for good neighborly relations with Armenia after restoration of its territorial integrity
- 24.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani people confident of restoring country’s territorial integrity
- 24.05.2018Trump: Coming months bring opportunities to resolve Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 23.05.2018FM: Armenia to resume Karabakh peace process in near future
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets personal representative of OSCE Chairman-in-Office
- 23.05.2018Russia vows to continue active role in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 23.05.2018ECHR soon to hear case of Azerbaijanis held hostage by Armenia – attorney
- 22.05.2018Baku: Armenia bears int’l legal responsibility for occupation of Azerbaijani territories
- 20.05.2018A serviceman of the Azerbaijan Army was killed as a result of another provocation of Armenia
- 20.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 93 times
- 18.05.201826 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Lachin district by Armenia
- 17.05.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit region next month
- 17.05.2018Baku: It’s time for Armenian MFA to change ‘same old song’
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijani MFA spokesman issues statement on 26th anniversary of occupation of Lachin by Armenia
- 16.05.2018Crisis Group expert: New gov’t in Armenia opens up new opportunities for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 16.05.2018Armenia’s occupation policy hinders peace in region: Azerbaijani parl’t speaker
- 15.05.2018OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs issue statement on Paris meeting
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan reiterates readiness to intensify talks for early settlement of Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 14.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov to discuss Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict with OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs
- 14.05.2018FM: Resettlement of Syrian Armenians in occupied Azerbaijani territories ‘unacceptable’
- 14.05.2018Armenia-Azerbaiajn Peace Platform holds meeting
- 13.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 89 times
- 12.05.2018Ali Ahmadov: If Pashinyan does not understand need for fair settlement of conflict, this is beginning of his tragedy
- 12.05.201824 years pass since declaration of ceasefire between Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Tigran Balayan trying to be extra active seeking promotion in new Armenian gov’t
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan slams Pashinyan’s proposal to accept separatist Karabakh regime as party in talks
- 10.05.2018Pashinyan’s statements contradict negotiation principles, says Azerbaijani diplomat
- 10.05.2018Bayram Safarov: Pashinyan will someday regret that he visited Shusha
- 09.05.2018Hikmat Hajiyev: The new Prime Minister of Armenia makes controversial statements about the negotiation process
- 09.05.2018Armenia’s new PM visits occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan allows some foreign media representatives to visit Nagorno-Karabakh
- 08.05.2018Six foreigners attempt to trespass Armenia-Azerbaijan border
- 08.05.2018Pashinyan says ready for talks with Azerbaijan on Karabakh conflict
- 08.05.2018“Serzh Sargsyan's resignation was overdue”
- 08.05.2018Nagorno-Karabakh is not disputed territory, Azerbaijan says
- 08.05.2018Azerbaijan says Armenia’s position impedes political settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 08.05.201826 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan's Shusha city by Armenia
- 25.01.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 25.01.2018Moscow stresses need to increase efficiency in Karabakh settlement process
- 25.01.2018Azerbaijan sends protest note to Canada over MPs’ illegal trip to Nagorno-Karabakh
- 24.01.2018Emanuel Macron: "Karabakh conflict settlement is of high importance"
- 23.01.2018Azerbaijan assesses Germany’s refusal to grant visas to Armenian separatists as support for its territorial integrity
- 21.01.2018Defense Ministry: News report spread by Armenian media has no basis