Investigation into criminal case over Khojaly genocide conducted in uncoordinated manner: military prosecutor
The investigation into the criminal case filed over the Khojaly genocide was carried out in an uncoordinated manner, some pieces of evidence disappeared, Azerbaijan’s Military Prosecutor Khanlar Valiyev told reporters in Baku Feb. 22, APA reported.
He said the investigation was not carried out in the right direction earlier. “We updated proceedings of the criminal case in 2005. A special investigative unit was established. We revealed many facts of torture during the investigation,” he added.
The military prosecutor noted that with the participation of international experts, Azerbaijan is conducting an estimation of the damage caused to Azerbaijan as a result of the occupation of Nagorno-Karabakh and adjacent district by Armenia.
Valiyev stressed that the Armenian army committed genocide in Baghanis-Ayrim village of Gazakh district twice.
“I have worked in Gazakh. Residents of Gazakh district stood firm against the Armenians. The Armenians started to commit acts of genocide against us not at the end of 1988, but from the beginning of the 20th century,” he said.
Valiyev added that he considered all the criminal cases filed against the Armenians while working in the Ganja city prosecutor’s office.
On February 25-26, 1992, the Armenian armed forces, together with the 366th infantry regiment of Soviet troops, stationed in Khankendi, committed an act of genocide against the population of the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly. As many as 613 people, including 63 children, 106 women and 70 old people were killed as a result of the massacre. Eight families were totally exterminated, 130 children lost one parent and 25 children lost both. A total of 487 civilians became disabled as a result of the onslaught. Some 1,275 innocent residents were taken hostage, while the fate of 150 people still remains unknown.
Related news releases
- 21.01.2018Defense Ministry: News report spread by Armenian media has no basis
- 21.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 120 times
- 18.01.2018The OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs issue joint statement on the meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs
- 18.01.2018The OSCE MG Co-Chairs will visit the region in early February
- 18.01.2018Elmar Mammadyarov: "The co-chairs proposed a number of creative ideas about the resolution of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 18.01.2018Krakow meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs ends - UPDATED
- 18.01.2018Meeting between Azerbaijani FM, OSCE MG co-chairs kicks off in Krakow
- 18.01.2018Armenia soldier receives gunshot wound
- 18.01.2018Armenian FM meets with OSCE MG co-chairs in Poland
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Krakow today
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan welcomes UN chief’s call for revitalizing mediation initiatives for Karabakh conflict
- 17.01.2018ICG reveals some issues to be discussed at upcoming meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijani FM: France should prevent entry of Karabakh separatists into its territory
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Krakow
- 15.01.2018MFA: Azerbaijan welcomes the statement of Sergey Lavrov on step by step resolution of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 15.01.2018Moscow says step by step approach needed for Karabakh settlement
- 15.01.2018Russian FM: Karabakh conflict can be resolved only by Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 14.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 126 times
- 13.01.2018EU hails Italy’s commitment to continue strengthening OSCE work to address Karabakh conflict through existing format
- 13.01.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.01.2018Andrzej Kasprzyk reappointed as OSCE Chairman-in-Office Personal Representative
- 12.01.2018U.S. says hopeful signs from Geneva meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents should be taken into account
- 11.01.2018FM: Italy to support OSCE MG efforts for Karabakh settlement
- 11.01.2018Department of State urges Americans to avoid traveling to Nagorno-Karabakh
- 10.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: World community recognizes Nagorno-Karabakh as integral part of Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018ICRC visits Armenian saboteurs detained in Azerbaijan
- 08.01.2018Armenian soldier killed in retaliation by Azerbaijani army
- 07.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 119 times
- 02.01.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 31.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 140 times
- 29.12.2017Armenian parliament vice-speaker shows political illiteracy in every statement – Azerbaijani MFA
- 29.12.2017Date set for next meeting of Sub-Committee on Conflicts between Council of Europe member states
- 28.12.2017Baku: Expansion of Kasprzyk’s office should be conducted in parallel with substantive Karabakh talks
- 28.12.2017Baku says there was revival in Karabakh talks in second half of 2017
- 28.12.2017Baku: Issue of Azerbaijanis held hostage by Armenia discussed with Russia, OSCE and ICRC
- 28.12.201726 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Khankendi
- 27.12.2017Russia welcomes activation of negotiation process on Karabakh settlement – deputy FM
- 26.12.2017Azerbaijan removes Russian photographer from “black list”
- 25.12.2017Rafael Isakhanian removed as co-chair and member of Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform
- 24.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 139 times
- 22.02.2017Azerbaijan: Armenian occupation caused $523M worth of damage to Khojaly
- 22.02.2017Azerbaijani FM: Khojaly Genocide – example of Armenia’s ethnic cleansing policy
- 22.02.2017Azerbaijani FM: Unresolved Karabakh conflict undermines peace, stability in region
- 22.02.2017UN chief: Term ‘frozen conflict’ on Karbakh conflict misleading
- 21.02.2017Vice-president of Academy of Caucasus Culture joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 21.02.2017Armenian soldiers fire at Azerbaijani shepherds in Aghdam