Investigation into criminal case over Khojaly genocide conducted in uncoordinated manner: military prosecutor
The investigation into the criminal case filed over the Khojaly genocide was carried out in an uncoordinated manner, some pieces of evidence disappeared, Azerbaijan’s Military Prosecutor Khanlar Valiyev told reporters in Baku Feb. 22, APA reported.
He said the investigation was not carried out in the right direction earlier. “We updated proceedings of the criminal case in 2005. A special investigative unit was established. We revealed many facts of torture during the investigation,” he added.
The military prosecutor noted that with the participation of international experts, Azerbaijan is conducting an estimation of the damage caused to Azerbaijan as a result of the occupation of Nagorno-Karabakh and adjacent district by Armenia.
Valiyev stressed that the Armenian army committed genocide in Baghanis-Ayrim village of Gazakh district twice.
“I have worked in Gazakh. Residents of Gazakh district stood firm against the Armenians. The Armenians started to commit acts of genocide against us not at the end of 1988, but from the beginning of the 20th century,” he said.
Valiyev added that he considered all the criminal cases filed against the Armenians while working in the Ganja city prosecutor’s office.
On February 25-26, 1992, the Armenian armed forces, together with the 366th infantry regiment of Soviet troops, stationed in Khankendi, committed an act of genocide against the population of the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly. As many as 613 people, including 63 children, 106 women and 70 old people were killed as a result of the massacre. Eight families were totally exterminated, 130 children lost one parent and 25 children lost both. A total of 487 civilians became disabled as a result of the onslaught. Some 1,275 innocent residents were taken hostage, while the fate of 150 people still remains unknown.
Related news releases
- 29.05.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform issues statement on Vahan Martirosyan
- 28.05.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 120 times in 24 hours
- 26.05.2017lham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s principled stance on Karabakh conflict remains unchanged
- 26.05.2017Igor Popov: No one had expected progress from Moscow ministerial meeting on Karabakh conflict - INTERVIEW
- 26.05.2017Ambassador: Argentina ready to assist efforts to find peaceful solution to Karabakh conflict
- 25.05.2017EU: Status quo in Karabakh is fragile
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijan’s honored journalist joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 25.05.2017Armenians set fire to occupied Azerbaijani village
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijani FM: UN resolutions are basis for settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijan to appeal to int'l organizations over planned flights from Khojaly airport
- 23.05.2017“Peace Ambassador” of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform from Ukraine appointed
- 23.05.2017Polish magazine dedicates article to Khojaly genocide
- 23.05.2017PACE co-rapporteurs to make proposal in relation to Karabakh conflict
- 23.05.2017Armenians warned over planned anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Russia’s Kursk
- 22.05.2017McAllister: European Parliament not responsible for some MEPs’ visits to Nagorno-Karabakh
- 21.05.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 20.05.2017German FM: CE monitoring instruments’ should have access to Nagorno-Karabakh and seven surrounding regions
- 20.05.2017Armenian soldier violating ceasefire killed
- 19.05.2017Azerbaijani defense ministry comments on video spread by Armenians
- 19.05.2017Association of European Journalists joins to Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 19.05.2017Baku says OSCE MG co-chairs’ latest statement is ‘symptomatic’ in nature
- 19.05.2017The Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group released statement on the recent escalation in Nagorno Karabakh conflict zone
- 18.05.2017Moscow urges Karabakh conflict sides to avoid further escalation
- 18.05.201725 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Lachin district by Armenia
- 17.05.2017OSCE chairman to visit South Caucasus – press officer
- 17.05.2017Russian historian: People believe Russia occupied Karabakh and will never admit it
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani Defense Ministry commented on reports that spread on some media about Armenia possible to shoot the helicopter of Defense Minister
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan approves rules for ensuring security in frontline settlements
- 16.05.2017OSCE PA draft resolution urges Karabakh conflict parties to return to negotiation table
- 15.05.2017OSA missile system of Armenia was destroyed
- 14.05.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.05.2017OSCE MG co-chairs likely to visit the region in coming months
- 12.05.2017Peace ambassador of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform from Russia appointed
- 12.05.2017Listing of people who went missing during Karabakh conflict almost finished
- 12.05.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform members hold meeting
- 10.05.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform presented at int’l forum in Egypt
- 10.05.2017Hoagland: US should play more active role in Karabakh settlement process
- 10.05.2017Hoagland: US, Russia will continue to cooperate on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 10.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia's occupation policy is attack not only on Azerbaijan, but also on historical and cultural heritage of Islam
- 10.05.2017OSCE MG US co-chair calls for serious high-level talks on Karabakh conflict
- 22.02.2017Azerbaijan: Armenian occupation caused $523M worth of damage to Khojaly
- 22.02.2017Azerbaijani FM: Khojaly Genocide – example of Armenia’s ethnic cleansing policy
- 22.02.2017Azerbaijani FM: Unresolved Karabakh conflict undermines peace, stability in region
- 22.02.2017UN chief: Term ‘frozen conflict’ on Karbakh conflict misleading
- 21.02.2017Vice-president of Academy of Caucasus Culture joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 21.02.2017Armenian soldiers fire at Azerbaijani shepherds in Aghdam