Investigation into criminal case over Khojaly genocide conducted in uncoordinated manner: military prosecutor
The investigation into the criminal case filed over the Khojaly genocide was carried out in an uncoordinated manner, some pieces of evidence disappeared, Azerbaijan’s Military Prosecutor Khanlar Valiyev told reporters in Baku Feb. 22, APA reported.
He said the investigation was not carried out in the right direction earlier. “We updated proceedings of the criminal case in 2005. A special investigative unit was established. We revealed many facts of torture during the investigation,” he added.
The military prosecutor noted that with the participation of international experts, Azerbaijan is conducting an estimation of the damage caused to Azerbaijan as a result of the occupation of Nagorno-Karabakh and adjacent district by Armenia.
Valiyev stressed that the Armenian army committed genocide in Baghanis-Ayrim village of Gazakh district twice.
“I have worked in Gazakh. Residents of Gazakh district stood firm against the Armenians. The Armenians started to commit acts of genocide against us not at the end of 1988, but from the beginning of the 20th century,” he said.
Valiyev added that he considered all the criminal cases filed against the Armenians while working in the Ganja city prosecutor’s office.
On February 25-26, 1992, the Armenian armed forces, together with the 366th infantry regiment of Soviet troops, stationed in Khankendi, committed an act of genocide against the population of the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly. As many as 613 people, including 63 children, 106 women and 70 old people were killed as a result of the massacre. Eight families were totally exterminated, 130 children lost one parent and 25 children lost both. A total of 487 civilians became disabled as a result of the onslaught. Some 1,275 innocent residents were taken hostage, while the fate of 150 people still remains unknown.
Related news releases
- 23.07.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 23.07.201724 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Aghdam district by Armenia
- 20.07.2017U.S. Department of State: The U.S. we will not accept the results of the so-called elections in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijan says UN support for substantive talks on Karabakh settlement ‘highly appreciated’
- 20.07.2017Moscow: Place of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents’ meeting not determined
- 19.07.2017Armenian soldier wounded in landmine explosion
- 19.07.2017Armenians set fire to Azerbaijan’s occupied territories
- 19.07.2017Lukashevich: Co-chairs are not wizards, they cannot ensure desired level of security in region
- 19.07.2017Lapshin’s final statement: I feel sorry about what happened
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijan says use of water resources as a means of eco terror and pressure is state policy in Armenia
- 19.07.2017Lukashevich: OSCE MG co-chairs prepare for meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs in New York
- 19.07.2017Turkey urges Armenia to stop military provocations against Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijani FM: Specific plan should be discussed for settling Karabakh conflict
- 17.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity supported by whole world
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan says holding illegal presidential election in Nagorno-Karabakh is ‘ridiculous’
- 17.07.2017Russia to be main organizer of planned meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents
- 15.07.2017Azerbaijani MFA responds to European Parliament member who visited Nagorno-Karabakh
- 14.07.2017Armenian woman visits graves of Azerbaijani civilians killed in Alkhanli
- 14.07.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has high hopes for France’s efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijan remains committed to peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict, says defense minister
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijan capable of downing Iskander missiles – defense minister
- 13.07.2017Bahar Muradova: Armenia violated rules of war by committing military provocation in Alkhanli
- 13.07.2017Ambassador: France supports regular negotiations on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani MPs visit Armenian-shelled Alkhanli village
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president calls for soonest resumption of substantive Karabakh talks
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president: Karabakh talks resumed without any preconditions
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president: Blood of little Zahra and her grandmother avenged
- 12.07.2017Baku: Mammadyarov, Nalbandian didn’t discuss creating any mechanisms
- 12.07.2017OSCE MG proposes meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents
- 12.07.2017Russia’s Border Service edits info about exercises in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 12.07.2017Argentine senator condemns Armenia's military provocation in Azerbaijani village
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani MFA: De-escalating the conflict without withdrawing the Armenian troops from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan would not bring solution to the problem
- 12.07.2017Next meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs to take part in New York
- 11.07.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian foreign ministers starts
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan appeals to Russia in regard to holding of exercises in its occupied territories
- 11.07.2017Chilean senator condemns Armenian military provocation in Azerbaijan’s Alkhanli
- 11.07.2017MEPs criticize Armenian shelling of Azerbaijani civilians
- 11.07.2017Russian, Armenian FMs mull Karabakh peace process
- 11.07.2017Baku: Meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to focus on current state of negotiation process
- 22.02.2017Azerbaijan: Armenian occupation caused $523M worth of damage to Khojaly
- 22.02.2017Azerbaijani FM: Khojaly Genocide – example of Armenia’s ethnic cleansing policy
- 22.02.2017Azerbaijani FM: Unresolved Karabakh conflict undermines peace, stability in region
- 22.02.2017UN chief: Term ‘frozen conflict’ on Karbakh conflict misleading
- 21.02.2017Vice-president of Academy of Caucasus Culture joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 21.02.2017Armenian soldiers fire at Azerbaijani shepherds in Aghdam