Int’l conference on Karabakh conflict underway in Baku
The international conference entitled “The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, origins, peacemaking and the role of civil society” is going on in Baku.
Professor of Georgia’s Sukhumi State University Guram Markhulia said the conflict in Georgia has not been instigated by the West, noting that along with Russia, local Armenians also collaborated with Abkhazians against their own country Georgia, APA reported.
“Activities of the ‘Krunk’ organization in Abkhazia and the crimes against humanity committed by its extension, Bagramyan battalion, which was created on February 9th 1993, have to be carefully investigated. Their vicious and merciless acts during the Abkhazian war remain uninvestigated in the histories of Armenia and Georgia,” he said.
The professor noted that the Georgian prosecutor’s office has 200-volume material about crimes against Georgian civilians during the Abkhazian war.
“These crimes must be disclosed. I cannot forget this betrayal by Armenians,” he added.
Markhulia called on Russia to respect Georgia’s independence and territorial integrity, saying Georgia has nothing to share with Russia.
Samira Ismayilova, a member of Georgia’s United National Movement Party’s Political Council, said she does not share Maksim Shevchenko’s opinion that the West does not want peace in the Caucasus.
“Just like Azerbaijan, Georgia also has 20 percent of its territory under occupation. Is Russia not involved in what happened in Ukraine, Georgia, and Azerbaijan? Maxim Shevchenko said that if war breaks out in Karabakh, Armenia will ask for a corridor to Russia, which will pose a threat to Georgia’s sovereignty. This approach is inadmissible,” she added.
Speaking on the theme “Grigor Artsruni and roots of racism and collaborationism of Armenian nationalism”, Mehmet Bora Perincek, doctor of historical sciences of Turkey’s Istanbul University, underlined the importance of studying the formation and features of Armenian nationalism in order to understand milestones that led to the events of 1915 in Ottoman Turkey and the Khojaly tragedy.
“Armenian nationalism’s inclination towards collaborationism, roots of fanaticism and aggression are openly reflected in publications and documents of its ideologists. In this regard, the first ideologist of the Armenian nationalism was Grigor Artsruni (1845-1892). His ideas and the base he created are important for understanding the causes of the Armenian nationalism. As one of the first theoreticians of Armenian nationalism, Artsruni called on the European nations to fight against and destroy the Turkic peoples together with Armenian and other Christian nations of Asia,” he said.
Perincek pointed out that the Armenian nationalists with the ideas of Artsruni committed massacres in Ottoman Turkey which led to retaliatory actions.
“The new generation of Armenian nationalists brought up with Artsruni’s ideas, caused the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict during the collapse of the Soviet Union, committed crimes against humanity in the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly and other settlements and strengthened their position in the Armenian government,” he added.
Speaking on the topic “The War in Karabakh - the first terrorist war in the history of mankind”, Russian historian Oleg Kuznetsov noted that the Karabakh war of the 1988-1994 years is a terrorist war and the whole content of it expresses the sum and sequence of the crimes of terrorism.
“Transnational Armenian terrorism emerged in the Ottoman Empire in late 19th century as a socio-economic, socio-political and legal event, spread to the Russian Empire and the Balkan countries and then to Western Europe and North America. The first crimes of the Armenian terrorism were committed in 1980,” he said.
According to the historian, the current ruling circles of Armenia are, in fact, the group of former commanders of the armed forces of the Nagorno-Karabakh separatists which drew the people of the Armenian SSR from power and the state’s financial resources. Therefore, the Armenian government will never agree with fulfilling the requirements of international law unilaterally.
Kuznetsov stressed that the liberation of Azerbaijan’s occupied territories will be the final chord of the existence of transnational Armenian terrorism and turn it into another dark page in the history of mankind.
Related news releases
- 20.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 97 times
- 19.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Large part of present-day Armenia is historical Azerbaijani land
- 18.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 117 times
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani PM: Armenia continues its non-constructive position, tries to protract Karabakh conflict
- 16.03.2018FM: Karabakh talks to be intensified after elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 15.03.2018Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijanis must return to their ancestral lands, Armenians must live there together with them
- 15.03.2018World unwilling to resolve Karabakh problem: Turkey’s ex-FM
- 15.03.2018Turkey, Azerbaijan cooperate on regional issues, counterterrorism – PM
- 15.03.2018Former EU special rep: After me, there’s been no substantial change in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.03.2018Russian MFA comments on US visit of Karabakh separatists’ leader
- 15.03.2018Zakharova: "Artsakh Republic" has no representation in Moscow
- 15.03.2018UK supports OSCE Minsk Group efforts to resolve Karabakh conflict - envoy
- 15.03.2018Status quo in Karabakh conflict ‘unacceptable’ – Azerbaijani president
- 14.03.2018The next ceasefire monitoring exercise will be conducted on the Line of Contact of the armed forces of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 14.03.2018UN, OSCE and all nations recognize Azerbaijan’s fair position on Nagorno-Karabakh issue – Turkish PM
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijan’s damage from Armenian occupation surpasses $818 billion
- 13.03.2018Romania committed to continuous development of partnership with Azerbaijan - MP
- 13.03.2018OSCE PA says there are shortcomings in protracted conflicts
- 12.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 106 times
- 10.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 110 times
- 08.03.2018Azerbaijani Permanent Mission to the OSCE clarifies allegations surfaced in the Armenian media
- 07.03.2018Russian presidential hopeful talks about possible solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 06.03.2018CSTO not to support Karabakh separatists in case of war
- 06.03.2018UNICEF says death of children in ceasefire violations ‘unacceptable’
- 06.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.03.2018FM Mammadyarov: Karabakh peace talks to be intensified after elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 05.03.2018Spanish edition of Los Angeles Times: Armenia has committed genocide against Azerbaijani people in Khojaly
- 04.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 98 times
- 02.03.2018Moscow sees no need for separatist Karabakh regime’s involvement in negotiation process
- 02.03.2018Baku says Nalbandian tries to justify Armenia’s failed foreign policy for internal audience
- 01.03.2018Azerbaijani diplomat responds to Armenian FM’s statement in UN
- 01.03.2018Secretary General: "The UN supports the efforts of the OSCE Minsk Group on the peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 28.02.2018Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,400 times in February
- 27.02.2018Baku sees no alternative to peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict – FM
- 27.02.2018Azerbaijani FM: Those responsible for Khojaly genocide still enjoy impunity
- 27.02.2018Requiem concert dedicated to Khojaly genocide held in Amsterdam
- 26.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev was interviewed by Rossiya-24 correspondent
- 26.02.2018Russian lawmaker urges world community to condemn Khojaly genocide
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijani President: “For the first stage, negotiations should be resumed as soon as possible”
- 15.03.2017French President: “The existing status quo in Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is unacceptable”
- 15.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity cannot be negotiated
- 14.03.2017Ilham Aliyev urges foreign companies to avoid illegal activity in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 14.03.2017Russian journalist: Majority of Karabakh Armenians were forcibly “armenianized”
- 14.03.2017“If war erupts in Karabakh, Russia, Georgia and Turkey will be involved in it”