Int’l conference on Karabakh conflict underway in Baku
The international conference entitled “The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, origins, peacemaking and the role of civil society” is going on in Baku.
Professor of Georgia’s Sukhumi State University Guram Markhulia said the conflict in Georgia has not been instigated by the West, noting that along with Russia, local Armenians also collaborated with Abkhazians against their own country Georgia, APA reported.
“Activities of the ‘Krunk’ organization in Abkhazia and the crimes against humanity committed by its extension, Bagramyan battalion, which was created on February 9th 1993, have to be carefully investigated. Their vicious and merciless acts during the Abkhazian war remain uninvestigated in the histories of Armenia and Georgia,” he said.
The professor noted that the Georgian prosecutor’s office has 200-volume material about crimes against Georgian civilians during the Abkhazian war.
“These crimes must be disclosed. I cannot forget this betrayal by Armenians,” he added.
Markhulia called on Russia to respect Georgia’s independence and territorial integrity, saying Georgia has nothing to share with Russia.
Samira Ismayilova, a member of Georgia’s United National Movement Party’s Political Council, said she does not share Maksim Shevchenko’s opinion that the West does not want peace in the Caucasus.
“Just like Azerbaijan, Georgia also has 20 percent of its territory under occupation. Is Russia not involved in what happened in Ukraine, Georgia, and Azerbaijan? Maxim Shevchenko said that if war breaks out in Karabakh, Armenia will ask for a corridor to Russia, which will pose a threat to Georgia’s sovereignty. This approach is inadmissible,” she added.
Speaking on the theme “Grigor Artsruni and roots of racism and collaborationism of Armenian nationalism”, Mehmet Bora Perincek, doctor of historical sciences of Turkey’s Istanbul University, underlined the importance of studying the formation and features of Armenian nationalism in order to understand milestones that led to the events of 1915 in Ottoman Turkey and the Khojaly tragedy.
“Armenian nationalism’s inclination towards collaborationism, roots of fanaticism and aggression are openly reflected in publications and documents of its ideologists. In this regard, the first ideologist of the Armenian nationalism was Grigor Artsruni (1845-1892). His ideas and the base he created are important for understanding the causes of the Armenian nationalism. As one of the first theoreticians of Armenian nationalism, Artsruni called on the European nations to fight against and destroy the Turkic peoples together with Armenian and other Christian nations of Asia,” he said.
Perincek pointed out that the Armenian nationalists with the ideas of Artsruni committed massacres in Ottoman Turkey which led to retaliatory actions.
“The new generation of Armenian nationalists brought up with Artsruni’s ideas, caused the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict during the collapse of the Soviet Union, committed crimes against humanity in the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly and other settlements and strengthened their position in the Armenian government,” he added.
Speaking on the topic “The War in Karabakh - the first terrorist war in the history of mankind”, Russian historian Oleg Kuznetsov noted that the Karabakh war of the 1988-1994 years is a terrorist war and the whole content of it expresses the sum and sequence of the crimes of terrorism.
“Transnational Armenian terrorism emerged in the Ottoman Empire in late 19th century as a socio-economic, socio-political and legal event, spread to the Russian Empire and the Balkan countries and then to Western Europe and North America. The first crimes of the Armenian terrorism were committed in 1980,” he said.
According to the historian, the current ruling circles of Armenia are, in fact, the group of former commanders of the armed forces of the Nagorno-Karabakh separatists which drew the people of the Armenian SSR from power and the state’s financial resources. Therefore, the Armenian government will never agree with fulfilling the requirements of international law unilaterally.
Kuznetsov stressed that the liberation of Azerbaijan’s occupied territories will be the final chord of the existence of transnational Armenian terrorism and turn it into another dark page in the history of mankind.
Related news releases
- 28.04.2017Elmar Mammadyarov commented on Foreign Ministers' Moscow meeting on Nagorno-Karabakh - EXCLUSIVE
- 28.04.2017Baku: Results of Moscow talks will be reported to presidents
- 28.04.2017Baku-born Armenian Erik Khachaturov visits office of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 28.04.2017Russian, Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs discuss Karabakh conflict - STATEMENT
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijan to blacklist foreign musicians for illegally visiting Karabakh
- 27.04.2017Russian, Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet behind closed doors
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan: 179 unknown martyrs’ graves found in recent years
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia’s plan to hold int’l conference in Nagorno-Karabakh is another provocation
- 27.04.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to join meeting of Russian, Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs
- 27.04.2017Chair of Moldovan section of Int’l Human Rights Society joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 27.04.2017Italian ambassador: Karabakh conflict - region’s biggest problem
- 27.04.2017Florans Manjen: "Settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is a priority for France"
- 26.04.2017Russia delivers a new batch of modern weapons and military equipment to Azerbaijan
- 26.04.2017FM Mammadyarov to join tripartite meeting in Moscow – Foreign Ministry
- 26.04.2017Co-chairs meet with full Minsk Group in Vienna
- 26.04.2017Moscow: Russian, Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs to meet on April 28
- 25.04.2017Armenian soldier killed in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 25.04.2017French presidential candidate vows to make ‘every effort’ to resolve Karabakh conflict
- 25.04.2017Lavrov: Moscow sees OSCE’s desire to help resolve Karabakh conflict
- 25.04.2017The Independent’s article distorts situation in region: Azerbaijani MFA
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani army eliminates Armenian soldier who violated ceasefire
- 25.04.2017Hollande: No military solution to Karabakh conflict
- 24.04.2017‘Peace Ambassador’ of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform from Poland appointed
- 24.04.2017Foreign doctors to examine Azerbaijanis held hostage by Armenians: State Commission
- 23.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 114 times
- 21.04.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform, NGO “The Caucasus Interface” agree upon cooperation
- 21.04.2017Russian, Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs likely to meet on April 27
- 20.04.2017Polish health worker joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 20.04.2017Kamran Imanov: To justify its territorial claims, Armenia continues appropriation of Azerbaijan’s cultural heritage
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan pleased with stance of Muslim countries on Karabakh conflict – PA official
- 19.04.2017Russian, Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs may meet in Moscow
- 19.04.2017Associate Professor of Belarusian State University joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijan to blacklist foreign companies operating illegally in its occupied territories
- 18.04.2017Russian Orthodox Church comments on CMO’s Khojaly appeal
- 17.04.2017Chairman of Association for Polish-Azerbaijani Cooperation joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 17.04.2017Head of Israeli Research Center joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 16.04.2017Azerbaijan Defense Minister met with Secretary of the Supreme National Security Council of Iran
- 16.04.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 120 times
- 14.04.2017Grandson of Armenian Drama Theater founder joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 13.04.2017Moldovan political analyst joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijani President: “For the first stage, negotiations should be resumed as soon as possible”
- 15.03.2017French President: “The existing status quo in Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is unacceptable”
- 15.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity cannot be negotiated
- 14.03.2017Ilham Aliyev urges foreign companies to avoid illegal activity in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 14.03.2017Russian journalist: Majority of Karabakh Armenians were forcibly “armenianized”
- 14.03.2017“If war erupts in Karabakh, Russia, Georgia and Turkey will be involved in it”