Indonesian envoy: Karabakh conflict is Azerbaijan’s internal affair
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is an internal affair of Azerbaijan, Indonesia’s Ambassador to Azerbaijan Husnan Bey Fanani, who is on a trip to Azerbaijan’s Guba district, told reporters, APA reported.
He noted that Azerbaijan should liberate its lands from occupation at all costs.
“We have always supported a peaceful solution to the conflict. We have always supported and will continue to support Azerbaijan on the Karabakh issue within international organizations,” said the ambassador.
Touching upon the prospects for economic cooperation between the two countries, the diplomat stressed the great potential for deepening cooperation.
Husnan Bey Fanani said he is periodically informed about Indonesian businessmen’s investments in Azerbaijan.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 18.09.2017ICRC: Issue of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev in spotlight
- 18.09.2017Azerbaijan says it will never allow another Armenian state to be created in its sovereign territory
- 17.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 144 times
- 16.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 148 times
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan’s painful Karabakh problem is also Turkey’s problem – envoy
- 15.09.2017"France always sensitive about Karabakh conflict settlement process"
- 14.09.2017MP: Important to establish dialogue between Azerbaijani, Armenian youth within CIS
- 14.09.2017Farhad Badalbayli: Creation of OSCE Minsk Group was ‘biggest mistake’
- 14.09.2017Russian expert believes Karabakh conflict hinders strengthening of Moscow-Baku co-op
- 13.09.2017Turkish envoy: April battles showed what Azerbaijan is capable of doing
- 10.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 96 times
- 09.09.2017Allahshukur Pashazade: “We offered to hold meeting of religious leaders on the Azerbaijan-Armenia border” - INTERVIEW
- 08.09.2017Azerbaijani FM: Karabakh conflict ‘a major threat’ to regional peace, security
- 08.09.2017Patriarch Kirill: Current situation on Karabakh conflict cannot be considered acceptable
- 08.09.2017Armenians again set fire to occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 08.09.2017US to allocate $1.5 mln for demining operations in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 06.09.2017Armenians resort to provocation against Azerbaijan at int’l book fair in Moscow
- 06.09.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform represented in economic forum in Poland
- 06.09.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian FMs adopts Baku statement
- 03.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 01.09.2017Serzh Sargsyan attends inauguration of highway in Azerbaijan’s occupied district.
- 01.09.2017Armenian soldier killed in landmine explosion in Nagorno Karabakh
- 31.08.2017Moscow: No information about next meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs
- 31.08.2017Nothing new in Hoagland’s latest statement: Russian MFA
- 31.08.2017Azerbaijan accuses Armenia of provocation ahead of ministerial meeting on Karabakh settlement
- 31.08.2017FM: Armenian army presence in Azerbaijani territories major impediment to Karabakh conflict settlement
- 31.08.2017Azerbaijan says Canadian MP’s illegal Karabakh visit is another provocation of Armenia
- 31.08.2017Twenty-four years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Gubadli district by Armenia
- 30.08.2017ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 30.08.2017New US co-chair of OSCE MG says he would like to see Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet at soonest opportunity
- 30.08.2017Armenian MPs to attend Euronest PA conference in Baku - UPDATED
- 29.08.2017Azerbaijan says Amnesty Press correspondent’s visit to Karabakh illegal
- 29.08.2017US formally appoints its new co-chair of OSCE MG
- 28.08.2017Portuguese charge d'affaires summoned to Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry
- 27.08.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 24.08.2017US co-chair of OSCE MG publishes key points of Karabakh conflict settlement
- 23.08.2017UNICEF comments on killing of two-year-old Zahra by Armenians
- 23.08.201724 years passed since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli and Jabrayil districts by Armenian armed forces
- 20.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 127 times
- 17.08.2017Russia says Karabakh settlement among its ‘foreign policy priorities’
- 03.05.2017Iranian MFA slams Armenian media for actions for personal gain
- 04.05.2017Dugin: Azerbaijani people are not hostile to ordinary Armenians, but only want liberation of occupied territories by peaceful means
- 04.05.2017Markedonov: Status quo in Karabakh conflict unlikely to be changed by Moscow or Washington
- 03.05.2017Ukrainian human rights defender joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 02.05.2017Hoagland: Co-chairs unaware of any date set for meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents
- 01.05.2017Tehran says Karabakh conflict cannot be resolved by one country