Ilham Aliyev: Large part of present-day Armenia is historical Azerbaijani land
A large part of the territory of present-day Armenia is the historical Azerbaijani land, Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev said.
There are numerous books, maps, confirming this, the president said at the nationwide festivities on the occasion of Novruz, the national holiday of the Azerbaijani people, in Baku March 19, APA reports.
“Azerbaijan is an active member of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), while Armenia is left completely out of all regional co-operation formats. This is natural because Armenia is isolated from all issues and does not participate in any regional cooperation format, not because we do not allow it - though I think it is a major factor – but because Armenia is no of interest in political, economic, or transport terms,” the Azerbaijani head of state said.
President Aliyev stressed that Armenia is not independent from the political point of view, and it is a satellite country.
He noted that the decisions made in Armenia concerning the country’s future do not make much sense.
“There is no investment being made in Armenia’s economy, investors are not interested in this. There are several factors involved: first of all, on the one hand, bribery, theft, corruption, on the other hand, mass emigration from Armenia,” the president said.
President Aliyev noted that the investment climate in Armenia is disastrous and market restrictions prevent investment in this country.
“The Armenian people must seriously contemplate and understand that the Armenian leadership's aggressive policy against Azerbaijan has no end. Azerbaijan will restore its territorial integrity anyway. However, Armenia has been completely isolated from regional cooperation processes in the region over the past few years. They have been defeated on the political scene, and all leading international organizations support Azerbaijan's position,” he said.
The Azerbaijani president went on to say: “The UN, its Security Council, the OSCE, the Organization of Islamic Cooperation, the European Parliament, the PACE and other international organizations recognize the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan and have passed numerous decisions and resolutions demanding the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict within the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan. This is a political defeat for Armenia. They have been defeated at the diplomatic front.”
Ilham Aliyev also touched upon the so-called “referendum” recently held in Nagorno-Karabakh.
“No countries have recognized the so-called “referendum” in Nagorno-Karabakh. No international organizations have accepted the results of the “referendum”. This once again confirms that Nagorno-Karabakh is an ancient Azerbaijani land and integral part of Azerbaijan,” he said.
“Armenia is a dead-end country in terms of transport policy, and we must openly say that we’ve done it,” he added.
The president also referred to the Azerbaijani army’s brilliant victory over Armenians during the April battles in 2016.
“Armenia is still unable to recover from the defeat, which it faced two years ago on the battlefield. Today, the Azerbaijani flag waves on the once occupied territories of Aghdere, Fuzuli and Jabrayil districts. The day will come when our flag will wave in Shusha and Khankendi,” he added.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict can be resolved only within the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan, President Aliyev emphasized.
“There is no other way. I’ve repeatedly stated and would like to reiterate that Azerbaijan can never allow a second Armenian state to be established on its historical lands. I’ve repeatedly said that a large part of the territory of today’s Armenia is the historical Azerbaijani land. There are numerous books, maps, confirming this. On those maps, most of the toponyms in the territory of today’s Armenia are of Azerbaijani origin,” he said.
He said historical books point out that at the beginning of the 19th century, the absolute majority of the Irevan Khanate’s population, more precisely 80 percent, was Azerbaijanis.
“This is history, historical reality. Let those, who do not know about this, know this; and most importantly, the Azerbaijani youth should know this. They should know that a big part of the territory of present-day Armenia is the historical land of Azerbaijan. We never forget this and will not forget,” the president added.
Related news releases
- 16.07.2018U.S. State Department in talks with Turkey to sell Patriot system
- 15.07.2018The provocation of the reconnaissance-sabotage group of Armenia was suppressed on the state border - PHOTO
- 15.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 87 times
- 14.07.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has high hopes for France’s efforts in resolving Karabakh conflict
- 13.07.2018Nikol Pashinyan: No talk on meeting with Azerbaijani president at the moment
- 12.07.2018Hajiyev: Azerbaijan recommends that Armenian leadership finally come to senses, comprehend realities
- 12.07.2018Moscow: Azerbaijan, Armenia fail to decide on increasing number of int’l observers in conflict zone
- 12.07.2018OSCE MG co-chairs issue statement following meeting with Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs
- 12.07.2018Mogherini called for negotiations on Nagorno Karabakh without preconditions
- 12.07.2018Hikmat Hajiyev: “The meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs lasted about 4 hours”
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs meet it Brussels
- 11.07.2018Elmar Mammadyarov meets with OSCE MG co-chairs
- 11.07.2018ICRC meets with Dilgam Asgarov, Shahbaz Guliyev
- 11.07.2018UNSC has not adopted resolutions on organization of military tribunals despite Armenia’s war crimes – Baku
- 11.07.2018Baku: Pashinyan's son’s military service in Nagorno-Karabakh has became a political show
- 11.07.2018MFA: Azerbaijan to take all necessary measures to release Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan says supports intensive, substantive talks on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 10.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Turkey always supports Azerbaijan in Karabakh problem
- 10.07.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 10.07.2018OSCE reps meet with deputy head of Aghdam district executive authority
- 10.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 81 times
- 09.07.2018Talks on Karabakh conflict settlement must be continued in existing format: Azerbaijani MFA
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijani FM: If Armenia’s new gov’t follow Sargsyan regime’s path, they’ll meet the same fate
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet on July 11 - UPDATED
- 09.07.2018OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 08.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 89 times
- 07.07.2018Armenians set fire in Azerbaijan’s occupied lands again
- 07.07.2018Armenian FM: Meeting with Azerbaijan FM planned for near future
- 06.07.2018Patrushev: Russia supports phased and peaceful settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict
- 06.07.2018Igor Popov: Date of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs’ meeting may be announced soon
- 06.07.2018Baku: Armenia’s attempts to artificially maintain status quo are fraught with serious complications
- 04.07.2018Azerbaijani MFA issues statement on anniversary of tragic Alkhanli events
- 04.07.2018Russian State Duma deputy responds to accusations against him
- 04.07.2018Russian lawmaker under attack after recognizing Karabakh as Azerbaijani territory
- 04.07.2018Baku reacts to reports of Armenia deploying internal troops in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani PM calls for release of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 01.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 90 times
- 30.06.2018Azercosmos: Armenians committed arsons in 280ha area in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 30.06.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 97 times
- 21.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 101 times
- 22.03.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 117 times
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani PM: Armenia continues its non-constructive position, tries to protract Karabakh conflict
- 16.03.2018FM: Karabakh talks to be intensified after elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia