Azerbaijani president: Karabakh talks resumed without any preconditions
The preconditions put forward by Armenia in connection with the resumption of negotiations on the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict’s settlement following last year’s April escalation did not yield any results, said Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev.
The Azerbaijani and Armenian foreign ministers met yesterday, and the Azerbaijani side resumed the talks ignoring any preconditions by Armenia, thus the aggressor was forced to return to the negotiating table, the president said addressing a meeting of the Cabinet of Ministers dedicated to results of socio-economic development in the first half of 2017 and objectives for the future, APA reported.
“As you know, following the April escalation, Armenia put forward some preconditions for the resumption of the talks and clearly stated them. I knew that it was foolishness, because they, sooner or later, will return to the negotiating table and they will lose respect once again, which they do not have. And it happened. Yesterday the Azerbaijani and Armenian foreign ministers met. The talks were resumed and the Azerbaijani side didn’t accept any pre-conditions”, said the president.
The Azerbaijani president stressed that Armenia resorts to provocations every time when pressure is growing in connection with the settlement of the conflict.
“The confirmation of this is the terrorist act committed in the Armenian parliament several years ago, the escalation of tensions on the frontline that took place after the talks in Paris in 2014, as well as the appropriate response of the Azerbaijani army to the provocation committed on the contact line of troops in April 2016,” he added.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 20.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Dialogue must be established between Armenian and Azerbaijani communities of Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA comments on Armenian president’s congratulatory message to illegal regime in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.02.2018Erdogan: One of greatest atrocities in human history happened in Khojaly
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani defense minister: War may break out at any time
- 19.02.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 122 times
- 17.02.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.02.2018Azerbaijan commemorates 26th anniversary of Garadaghli massacre
- 15.02.2018Moscow says hopes for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.02.2018Armenian saboteurs detained in Azerbaijan can be exchanged for Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev – State Commission
- 14.02.2018MFA: Armenia must finally understand that occupation of Azerbaijani lands will never produce desired political outcome
- 14.02.2018Russian musician off Azerbaijan’s ‘black list’
- 14.02.2018US Intelligence: Tension over Karabakh could develop into large-scale conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan
- 12.02.2018ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 12.02.2018Bulgaria president: Karabakh conflict can be settled only through peaceful means
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani FM: Attempts to change Nagorno-Karabakh’s demographics ‘gross violation’ of int’l humanitarian law
- 11.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 131 times
- 11.02.201826 years pass since occupation of Malibeyli, Gushchular villages of Azerbaijan’s Shusha
- 09.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs meets Armenian president
- 09.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Armenian troops’ presence in Azerbaijani territories remains major cause of non-settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 09.02.2018EU: Nagorno-Karabakh conflict a ‘very big challenge’
- 09.02.2018Mogherini: EU supports Azerbaijan’s sovereignty and territorial integrity
- 09.02.2018Baku: Nalbandian’s offensive attitude towards UNSC resolutions shows Armenia’s disrespect for UN Charter
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijani FM says there is ‘intensity, concrete and logical flow’ in Karabakh talks
- 09.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Armenian troops’ withdrawal from Azerbaijani territories key to political settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 08.02.2018Armenia becomes a political, economic, energy and transportation dead-end – Azerbaijani president
- 08.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia to remain isolated until occupied Azerbaijani lands get liberated
- 08.02.2018Armenian scientist banned from participating in Italy int’l conference for conducting research in Karabakh
- 08.02.2018Armenian soldier killed in retaliation by Azerbaijani army
- 07.02.2018Intensive talks to continue after presidential elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia – MFA
- 07.02.2018U.S. says will continue efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 07.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives OSCE MG co-chairs
- 06.02.2018Andrzej Kasprzyk visits Tartar District Executive Authority
- 04.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 130 times
- 03.02.2018Anti-Azerbaijan provocation prevented during scientific seminar in Moscow
- 02.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Nagorno-Karabakh
- 02.02.2018Foreign Ministry makes statement on scheduled visit of OSCE MG co-chairs to Azerbaijan
- 02.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Armenia on Feb. 7
- 01.02.2018Azerbaijan specifies conditions for increasing number of OSCE observers on contact line of troops
- 01.02.2018Russian FM talks about increasing number of OSCE observers in Karabakh conflict zone
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president calls for soonest resumption of substantive Karabakh talks
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani MPs visit Armenian-shelled Alkhanli village
- 13.07.2017Ambassador: France supports regular negotiations on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president: Blood of little Zahra and her grandmother avenged
- 12.07.2017Baku: Mammadyarov, Nalbandian didn’t discuss creating any mechanisms
- 12.07.2017OSCE MG proposes meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents