Azerbaijani president: Karabakh talks resumed without any preconditions
The preconditions put forward by Armenia in connection with the resumption of negotiations on the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict’s settlement following last year’s April escalation did not yield any results, said Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev.
The Azerbaijani and Armenian foreign ministers met yesterday, and the Azerbaijani side resumed the talks ignoring any preconditions by Armenia, thus the aggressor was forced to return to the negotiating table, the president said addressing a meeting of the Cabinet of Ministers dedicated to results of socio-economic development in the first half of 2017 and objectives for the future, APA reported.
“As you know, following the April escalation, Armenia put forward some preconditions for the resumption of the talks and clearly stated them. I knew that it was foolishness, because they, sooner or later, will return to the negotiating table and they will lose respect once again, which they do not have. And it happened. Yesterday the Azerbaijani and Armenian foreign ministers met. The talks were resumed and the Azerbaijani side didn’t accept any pre-conditions”, said the president.
The Azerbaijani president stressed that Armenia resorts to provocations every time when pressure is growing in connection with the settlement of the conflict.
“The confirmation of this is the terrorist act committed in the Armenian parliament several years ago, the escalation of tensions on the frontline that took place after the talks in Paris in 2014, as well as the appropriate response of the Azerbaijani army to the provocation committed on the contact line of troops in April 2016,” he added.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev calls Armenia ‘occupier’ at UN
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan says US congressmen’s illegal visit to Nagorno-Karabakh is being investigated
- 20.09.2017EU says it’s closely following Karabakh settlement process
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia tries to associate other countries with illegal occupation
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan urges OIC countries to limit all forms of co-op with Armenia
- 20.09.2017OIC Contact Group mulls Armenia’s aggression against Azerbaijan at UN
- 20.09.2017Turkish president: “We need to work harder for the resolution of Nagorno Garabakh” - VIDEO
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs expected to meet on Sept. 23 - UPDATED
- 19.09.2017US co-chair says he hopes meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs will create a basis for presidents’ meeting
- 18.09.2017ICRC: Issue of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev in spotlight
- 18.09.2017Azerbaijan says it will never allow another Armenian state to be created in its sovereign territory
- 17.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 144 times
- 16.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 148 times
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan’s painful Karabakh problem is also Turkey’s problem – envoy
- 15.09.2017"France always sensitive about Karabakh conflict settlement process"
- 14.09.2017MP: Important to establish dialogue between Azerbaijani, Armenian youth within CIS
- 14.09.2017Farhad Badalbayli: Creation of OSCE Minsk Group was ‘biggest mistake’
- 14.09.2017Russian expert believes Karabakh conflict hinders strengthening of Moscow-Baku co-op
- 13.09.2017Turkish envoy: April battles showed what Azerbaijan is capable of doing
- 10.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 96 times
- 09.09.2017Allahshukur Pashazade: “We offered to hold meeting of religious leaders on the Azerbaijan-Armenia border” - INTERVIEW
- 08.09.2017Azerbaijani FM: Karabakh conflict ‘a major threat’ to regional peace, security
- 08.09.2017Patriarch Kirill: Current situation on Karabakh conflict cannot be considered acceptable
- 08.09.2017Armenians again set fire to occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 08.09.2017US to allocate $1.5 mln for demining operations in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 06.09.2017Armenians resort to provocation against Azerbaijan at int’l book fair in Moscow
- 06.09.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform represented in economic forum in Poland
- 06.09.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian FMs adopts Baku statement
- 03.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 01.09.2017Serzh Sargsyan attends inauguration of highway in Azerbaijan’s occupied district.
- 01.09.2017Armenian soldier killed in landmine explosion in Nagorno Karabakh
- 31.08.2017Moscow: No information about next meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs
- 31.08.2017Nothing new in Hoagland’s latest statement: Russian MFA
- 31.08.2017Azerbaijan accuses Armenia of provocation ahead of ministerial meeting on Karabakh settlement
- 31.08.2017FM: Armenian army presence in Azerbaijani territories major impediment to Karabakh conflict settlement
- 31.08.2017Azerbaijan says Canadian MP’s illegal Karabakh visit is another provocation of Armenia
- 31.08.2017Twenty-four years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Gubadli district by Armenia
- 30.08.2017ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 30.08.2017New US co-chair of OSCE MG says he would like to see Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet at soonest opportunity
- 30.08.2017Armenian MPs to attend Euronest PA conference in Baku - UPDATED
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president calls for soonest resumption of substantive Karabakh talks
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani MPs visit Armenian-shelled Alkhanli village
- 13.07.2017Ambassador: France supports regular negotiations on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president: Blood of little Zahra and her grandmother avenged
- 12.07.2017Baku: Mammadyarov, Nalbandian didn’t discuss creating any mechanisms
- 12.07.2017OSCE MG proposes meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents