Azerbaijani president: Karabakh talks resumed without any preconditions
The preconditions put forward by Armenia in connection with the resumption of negotiations on the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict’s settlement following last year’s April escalation did not yield any results, said Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev.
The Azerbaijani and Armenian foreign ministers met yesterday, and the Azerbaijani side resumed the talks ignoring any preconditions by Armenia, thus the aggressor was forced to return to the negotiating table, the president said addressing a meeting of the Cabinet of Ministers dedicated to results of socio-economic development in the first half of 2017 and objectives for the future, APA reported.
“As you know, following the April escalation, Armenia put forward some preconditions for the resumption of the talks and clearly stated them. I knew that it was foolishness, because they, sooner or later, will return to the negotiating table and they will lose respect once again, which they do not have. And it happened. Yesterday the Azerbaijani and Armenian foreign ministers met. The talks were resumed and the Azerbaijani side didn’t accept any pre-conditions”, said the president.
The Azerbaijani president stressed that Armenia resorts to provocations every time when pressure is growing in connection with the settlement of the conflict.
“The confirmation of this is the terrorist act committed in the Armenian parliament several years ago, the escalation of tensions on the frontline that took place after the talks in Paris in 2014, as well as the appropriate response of the Azerbaijani army to the provocation committed on the contact line of troops in April 2016,” he added.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 25.04.2018Turkish president calls for settlement of Karabakh conflict in line with int’l law
- 25.04.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 95 times
- 24.04.2018Andrew Schofer: U.S. continues to strongly support negotiated settlement to Karabakh conflict
- 24.04.2018DNA samples being taken from family members of those reported missing in Karabakh conflict – State Commission
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijan says ready to continue Karabakh talks with sensible political forces in Armenia
- 24.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 22.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 97 times
- 20.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.04.2018Karabakh conflict should be resolved through negotiations, compromises
- 19.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Jojug Marjanli has become symbol of our revival
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Let world know that not only Karabakh but also present-day Armenia is historical Azerbaijani land
- 18.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2018Prosecutor General Zakir Garalov appeals to Russian counterpart over anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Izvestia newspaper
- 16.04.2018Russian newspaper Izvestiya commits provocation against Azerbaijan
- 13.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2018Yemeni blogger apologizes for illegal trip to Karabakh, escapes Azerbaijan's "black list"
- 09.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Legal framework created for settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 09.04.2018Ariel Cohen: Sides will eventually understand importance of settling Karabakh conflict on basis of UNSC decisions
- 08.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 86 times
- 06.04.2018Italy’s OSCE Chairmanship says not keen on creating new formats for Karabakh talks
- 06.04.2018OSCE hopes meeting between Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents could soon take place
- 06.04.2018Syria’s UN envoy comments on reports on deployment of terrorists from Syria in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 06.04.2018Another ceasefire violation from Armenia
- 05.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "The main reason for the unsettledness of the Karabakh problem is that Armenia does not want to change the status quo"
- 05.04.2018Nothing being done to implement decisions on Karabakh problem – Turkish FM
- 05.04.2018Status quo in Karabakh conflict will never be accepted – FM Mammadyarov
- 05.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 04.04.2018Minsk Group format shows co-op possible for sake of European security: OSCE Sec-Gen
- 04.04.2018Azerbaijan to present note of protest to France
- 04.04.2018Former Nagorno-Karabakh commandant: ‘All illegal armed groups were disarmed during my time’
- 04.04.2018Washington Times publishes article by Azerbaijani ambassador on 25th anniversary of occupation of Kalbajar
- 04.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.04.2018Russia to grant Armenia interest-free loan for purchase of Iskander missile systems – report
- 03.04.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 02.04.2018Indian gov’t has nothing to do with exhibition organized in Khankendi – embassy
- 02.04.2018Azerbaijani MFA spokesman issues statement on occupation of Kalbajar region and April escalation of 2016
- 02.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,100 times in March
- 02.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 01.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 105 times
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president calls for soonest resumption of substantive Karabakh talks
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani MPs visit Armenian-shelled Alkhanli village
- 13.07.2017Ambassador: France supports regular negotiations on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president: Blood of little Zahra and her grandmother avenged
- 12.07.2017Baku: Mammadyarov, Nalbandian didn’t discuss creating any mechanisms
- 12.07.2017OSCE MG proposes meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents