Ilham Aliyev: Change in status quo means liberation of occupied Azerbaijan lands
He made the remarks at the opening ceremony of the 5th Global Baku Forum titled “The Future of International Relations: Power and Interests”, which kicked off in Baku March 16, APA reported.
The president noted that change in the status quo means the liberation of the occupied Azerbaijani territories.
“The leaders of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairing countries have repeatedly stated that the status quo must be changed. It means the liberation of Azerbaijani lands from Armenian occupation,” he added.
The head of state noted that the whole infrastructure, religious monuments and places of worship were destroyed in the occupied Azerbaijani territories.
“This fact was also confirmed by two reports of the OSCE fact-finding mission. What happened is the result of the separatist and occupation policy of Armenia,” said President Aliyev.
“When the conflict erupted, the population of Azerbaijan was nearly eight million people and one million of them became refugees and internally displaced persons. By the way, we had the highest per capita number of refugees at that time. The state of Azerbaijan’s economy was not good. Later, the living conditions of these people significantly improved as a result of economic growth,” he added.
President Aliyev once again highlighted the importance of implementing the UN Security Council resolutions and other international documents which demand the withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan.
“Twenty years have passed since the adoption of UN Security Council resolutions. Some resolutions of the Security Council are fulfilled within hours when it comes to Azerbaijan they remain on paper. We regard it as a double-standard approach,” said the president.
Condemning war crimes committed by Armenians against Azerbaijanis, Ilham Aliyev stressed that the occupied Azerbaijani territories must be liberated and refugees must return to their native lands.
The unresolved conflict between Armenian and Azerbaijan poses a threat to the region, added the president.
Related news releases
- 28.04.2017Elmar Mammadyarov commented on Foreign Ministers' Moscow meeting on Nagorno-Karabakh - EXCLUSIVE
- 28.04.2017Baku: Results of Moscow talks will be reported to presidents
- 28.04.2017Baku-born Armenian Erik Khachaturov visits office of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 28.04.2017Russian, Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs discuss Karabakh conflict - STATEMENT
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijan to blacklist foreign musicians for illegally visiting Karabakh
- 27.04.2017Russian, Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet behind closed doors
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan: 179 unknown martyrs’ graves found in recent years
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia’s plan to hold int’l conference in Nagorno-Karabakh is another provocation
- 27.04.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to join meeting of Russian, Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs
- 27.04.2017Chair of Moldovan section of Int’l Human Rights Society joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 27.04.2017Italian ambassador: Karabakh conflict - region’s biggest problem
- 27.04.2017Florans Manjen: "Settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is a priority for France"
- 26.04.2017Russia delivers a new batch of modern weapons and military equipment to Azerbaijan
- 26.04.2017FM Mammadyarov to join tripartite meeting in Moscow – Foreign Ministry
- 26.04.2017Co-chairs meet with full Minsk Group in Vienna
- 26.04.2017Moscow: Russian, Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs to meet on April 28
- 25.04.2017Armenian soldier killed in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 25.04.2017French presidential candidate vows to make ‘every effort’ to resolve Karabakh conflict
- 25.04.2017Lavrov: Moscow sees OSCE’s desire to help resolve Karabakh conflict
- 25.04.2017The Independent’s article distorts situation in region: Azerbaijani MFA
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani army eliminates Armenian soldier who violated ceasefire
- 25.04.2017Hollande: No military solution to Karabakh conflict
- 24.04.2017‘Peace Ambassador’ of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform from Poland appointed
- 24.04.2017Foreign doctors to examine Azerbaijanis held hostage by Armenians: State Commission
- 23.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 114 times
- 21.04.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform, NGO “The Caucasus Interface” agree upon cooperation
- 21.04.2017Russian, Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs likely to meet on April 27
- 20.04.2017Polish health worker joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 20.04.2017Kamran Imanov: To justify its territorial claims, Armenia continues appropriation of Azerbaijan’s cultural heritage
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan pleased with stance of Muslim countries on Karabakh conflict – PA official
- 19.04.2017Russian, Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs may meet in Moscow
- 19.04.2017Associate Professor of Belarusian State University joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijan to blacklist foreign companies operating illegally in its occupied territories
- 18.04.2017Russian Orthodox Church comments on CMO’s Khojaly appeal
- 17.04.2017Chairman of Association for Polish-Azerbaijani Cooperation joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 17.04.2017Head of Israeli Research Center joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 16.04.2017Azerbaijan Defense Minister met with Secretary of the Supreme National Security Council of Iran
- 16.04.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 120 times
- 14.04.2017Grandson of Armenian Drama Theater founder joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 13.04.2017Moldovan political analyst joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 16.03.2017Russian political analyst joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 16.03.2017Moscow says nothing hidden in Karabakh talks
- 17.03.2017Former Kyrgyz PM comments on country’s refusal to sign ECO declaration
- 15.03.2017PACE members meet with IDPs
- 15.03.2017Putin: Russia continues to assist in resolving Karabakh conflict
- 15.03.2017French president urges progress towards Karabakh conflict settlement