Ilham Aliyev: Change in status quo means liberation of occupied Azerbaijan lands
He made the remarks at the opening ceremony of the 5th Global Baku Forum titled “The Future of International Relations: Power and Interests”, which kicked off in Baku March 16, APA reported.
The president noted that change in the status quo means the liberation of the occupied Azerbaijani territories.
“The leaders of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairing countries have repeatedly stated that the status quo must be changed. It means the liberation of Azerbaijani lands from Armenian occupation,” he added.
The head of state noted that the whole infrastructure, religious monuments and places of worship were destroyed in the occupied Azerbaijani territories.
“This fact was also confirmed by two reports of the OSCE fact-finding mission. What happened is the result of the separatist and occupation policy of Armenia,” said President Aliyev.
“When the conflict erupted, the population of Azerbaijan was nearly eight million people and one million of them became refugees and internally displaced persons. By the way, we had the highest per capita number of refugees at that time. The state of Azerbaijan’s economy was not good. Later, the living conditions of these people significantly improved as a result of economic growth,” he added.
President Aliyev once again highlighted the importance of implementing the UN Security Council resolutions and other international documents which demand the withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan.
“Twenty years have passed since the adoption of UN Security Council resolutions. Some resolutions of the Security Council are fulfilled within hours when it comes to Azerbaijan they remain on paper. We regard it as a double-standard approach,” said the president.
Condemning war crimes committed by Armenians against Azerbaijanis, Ilham Aliyev stressed that the occupied Azerbaijani territories must be liberated and refugees must return to their native lands.
The unresolved conflict between Armenian and Azerbaijan poses a threat to the region, added the president.
Related news releases
- 22.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 97 times
- 20.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.04.2018Karabakh conflict should be resolved through negotiations, compromises
- 19.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Jojug Marjanli has become symbol of our revival
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Let world know that not only Karabakh but also present-day Armenia is historical Azerbaijani land
- 18.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2018Prosecutor General Zakir Garalov appeals to Russian counterpart over anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Izvestia newspaper
- 16.04.2018Russian newspaper Izvestiya commits provocation against Azerbaijan
- 13.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2018Yemeni blogger apologizes for illegal trip to Karabakh, escapes Azerbaijan's "black list"
- 09.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Legal framework created for settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 09.04.2018Ariel Cohen: Sides will eventually understand importance of settling Karabakh conflict on basis of UNSC decisions
- 08.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 86 times
- 06.04.2018Italy’s OSCE Chairmanship says not keen on creating new formats for Karabakh talks
- 06.04.2018OSCE hopes meeting between Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents could soon take place
- 06.04.2018Syria’s UN envoy comments on reports on deployment of terrorists from Syria in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 06.04.2018Another ceasefire violation from Armenia
- 05.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "The main reason for the unsettledness of the Karabakh problem is that Armenia does not want to change the status quo"
- 05.04.2018Nothing being done to implement decisions on Karabakh problem – Turkish FM
- 05.04.2018Status quo in Karabakh conflict will never be accepted – FM Mammadyarov
- 05.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 04.04.2018Minsk Group format shows co-op possible for sake of European security: OSCE Sec-Gen
- 04.04.2018Azerbaijan to present note of protest to France
- 04.04.2018Former Nagorno-Karabakh commandant: ‘All illegal armed groups were disarmed during my time’
- 04.04.2018Washington Times publishes article by Azerbaijani ambassador on 25th anniversary of occupation of Kalbajar
- 04.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.04.2018Russia to grant Armenia interest-free loan for purchase of Iskander missile systems – report
- 03.04.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 02.04.2018Indian gov’t has nothing to do with exhibition organized in Khankendi – embassy
- 02.04.2018Azerbaijani MFA spokesman issues statement on occupation of Kalbajar region and April escalation of 2016
- 02.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,100 times in March
- 02.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 01.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 105 times
- 30.03.2018Ogtay Asadov: Illusion of “greater Armenia” has always brought disasters on South Caucasus
- 29.03.2018Russian FM and OSCE Secretary General to discuss Karabakh conflict
- 29.03.20183 HALO Trust employees killed, 2 injured in landmine explosion in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 29.03.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 28.03.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 27.03.2018Baku says Armenian FM has special phobia against substantive negotiations
- 16.03.2017Russian political analyst joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 16.03.2017Moscow says nothing hidden in Karabakh talks
- 17.03.2017Former Kyrgyz PM comments on country’s refusal to sign ECO declaration
- 15.03.2017PACE members meet with IDPs
- 15.03.2017Putin: Russia continues to assist in resolving Karabakh conflict
- 15.03.2017French president urges progress towards Karabakh conflict settlement