Ilham Aliyev: Change in status quo means liberation of occupied Azerbaijan lands
He made the remarks at the opening ceremony of the 5th Global Baku Forum titled “The Future of International Relations: Power and Interests”, which kicked off in Baku March 16, APA reported.
The president noted that change in the status quo means the liberation of the occupied Azerbaijani territories.
“The leaders of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairing countries have repeatedly stated that the status quo must be changed. It means the liberation of Azerbaijani lands from Armenian occupation,” he added.
The head of state noted that the whole infrastructure, religious monuments and places of worship were destroyed in the occupied Azerbaijani territories.
“This fact was also confirmed by two reports of the OSCE fact-finding mission. What happened is the result of the separatist and occupation policy of Armenia,” said President Aliyev.
“When the conflict erupted, the population of Azerbaijan was nearly eight million people and one million of them became refugees and internally displaced persons. By the way, we had the highest per capita number of refugees at that time. The state of Azerbaijan’s economy was not good. Later, the living conditions of these people significantly improved as a result of economic growth,” he added.
President Aliyev once again highlighted the importance of implementing the UN Security Council resolutions and other international documents which demand the withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan.
“Twenty years have passed since the adoption of UN Security Council resolutions. Some resolutions of the Security Council are fulfilled within hours when it comes to Azerbaijan they remain on paper. We regard it as a double-standard approach,” said the president.
Condemning war crimes committed by Armenians against Azerbaijanis, Ilham Aliyev stressed that the occupied Azerbaijani territories must be liberated and refugees must return to their native lands.
The unresolved conflict between Armenian and Azerbaijan poses a threat to the region, added the president.
Related news releases
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani defense minister: War may break out at any time
- 19.02.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 122 times
- 17.02.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.02.2018Azerbaijan commemorates 26th anniversary of Garadaghli massacre
- 15.02.2018Moscow says hopes for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.02.2018Armenian saboteurs detained in Azerbaijan can be exchanged for Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev – State Commission
- 14.02.2018MFA: Armenia must finally understand that occupation of Azerbaijani lands will never produce desired political outcome
- 14.02.2018Russian musician off Azerbaijan’s ‘black list’
- 14.02.2018US Intelligence: Tension over Karabakh could develop into large-scale conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan
- 12.02.2018ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 12.02.2018Bulgaria president: Karabakh conflict can be settled only through peaceful means
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani FM: Attempts to change Nagorno-Karabakh’s demographics ‘gross violation’ of int’l humanitarian law
- 11.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 131 times
- 11.02.201826 years pass since occupation of Malibeyli, Gushchular villages of Azerbaijan’s Shusha
- 09.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs meets Armenian president
- 09.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Armenian troops’ presence in Azerbaijani territories remains major cause of non-settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 09.02.2018EU: Nagorno-Karabakh conflict a ‘very big challenge’
- 09.02.2018Mogherini: EU supports Azerbaijan’s sovereignty and territorial integrity
- 09.02.2018Baku: Nalbandian’s offensive attitude towards UNSC resolutions shows Armenia’s disrespect for UN Charter
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijani FM says there is ‘intensity, concrete and logical flow’ in Karabakh talks
- 09.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Armenian troops’ withdrawal from Azerbaijani territories key to political settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 08.02.2018Armenia becomes a political, economic, energy and transportation dead-end – Azerbaijani president
- 08.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia to remain isolated until occupied Azerbaijani lands get liberated
- 08.02.2018Armenian scientist banned from participating in Italy int’l conference for conducting research in Karabakh
- 08.02.2018Armenian soldier killed in retaliation by Azerbaijani army
- 07.02.2018Intensive talks to continue after presidential elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia – MFA
- 07.02.2018U.S. says will continue efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 07.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives OSCE MG co-chairs
- 06.02.2018Andrzej Kasprzyk visits Tartar District Executive Authority
- 04.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 130 times
- 03.02.2018Anti-Azerbaijan provocation prevented during scientific seminar in Moscow
- 02.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Nagorno-Karabakh
- 02.02.2018Foreign Ministry makes statement on scheduled visit of OSCE MG co-chairs to Azerbaijan
- 02.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Armenia on Feb. 7
- 01.02.2018Azerbaijan specifies conditions for increasing number of OSCE observers on contact line of troops
- 01.02.2018Russian FM talks about increasing number of OSCE observers in Karabakh conflict zone
- 01.02.2018Italian FM comments on expansion of OSCE observation mission in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 01.02.2018OSCE chairman hails Russia’s crucial role in resolving regional conflicts
- 01.02.2018Russia’s Lavrov: OSCE to continue joint work to contribute to Karabakh conflict settlement
- 16.03.2017Russian political analyst joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 16.03.2017Moscow says nothing hidden in Karabakh talks
- 17.03.2017Former Kyrgyz PM comments on country’s refusal to sign ECO declaration
- 15.03.2017PACE members meet with IDPs
- 15.03.2017Putin: Russia continues to assist in resolving Karabakh conflict
- 15.03.2017French president urges progress towards Karabakh conflict settlement