Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan will restore its territorial integrity at any cost
Azerbaijan will restore its territorial integrity at any cost, President Ilham Aliyev said on Tuesday.
Azerbaijan’s principled stance on the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict will remain unchanged, Ilham Aliyev said at a solemn ceremony marking the 25th anniversary of the founding of the ruling New Azerbaijan Party, APA reported.
“The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict must be restored within the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan. There is no other way,” the president said stressing that Azerbaijan will never allow a second Armenian state to be created on its historical lands.
The head of state noted that the norms of international law must be fully observed, the relevant resolutions of the UN Security Council must be implemented, and the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Azerbaijan must be restored.
“This is a principled position that is based on history and international law, because Nagorno-Karabakh is a historical land of Azerbaijan. The whole world recognizes and respects the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan. Nagorno-Karabakh is an integral part of Azerbaijan,” said Ilham Aliyev.
“This year there was an event, which once again confirmed this. Again, an illegal referendum held in Nagorno-Karabakh was not recognized by the international community. Neighboring countries, the Minsk Group member countries, the European Union and other international organizations did not recognize the results of the referendum. Thus, they once again confirmed that Nagorno-Karabakh is an integral part of Azerbaijan,” he added.
The president noted that consistent efforts aimed at achieving the recognition of the Khojaly genocide worldwide will further continue.
“Five years ago, at the 20th anniversary of the establishment of our party [YAP], I mentioned that three countries have already officially recognized the Khojaly genocide. In just five years, the number of such countries has exceeded 10. Therefore, a consistent policy will be pursued in this direction as well,” he said.
In parallel, Azerbaijan’s military strength will be increased as well, added President Aliyev.
“We have managed to achieve this to a large extent. According to international ratings, today the Azerbaijani army is among the world’s most powerful armies. If needed, our army will be further supplied with enough funds and equipment without any restrictions,” the president said. “Our military power played and will play its part in the liberation of our lands and restoration of our territorial integrity.”
“The April battles and the liberation of part of our occupied lands, in particular, parts of the Aghdere, Fuzuli and Jabrayil districts demonstrated the power of our army to the whole world,” he stressed.
The head of state went on to say that Armenia does not give up attempts to convey to the international community distorted information about the April battles, however, such attempts are extremely ridiculous.
“Suffice it to say that today we have occupied the trenches which at one time they dug in the occupied lands, and from those trenches we are controlling a large territory. The April battles are our glorious military victory which demonstrated the strength of the Azerbaijani people and soldiers. It showed that the Azerbaijani state and people will never reconcile with the occupation, and restore its territorial integrity at any cost,” concluded President Aliyev.
Related news releases
- 22.05.2018Baku: Armenia bears int’l legal responsibility for occupation of Azerbaijani territories
- 20.05.2018A serviceman of the Azerbaijan Army was killed as a result of another provocation of Armenia
- 20.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 93 times
- 18.05.201826 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Lachin district by Armenia
- 17.05.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit region next month
- 17.05.2018Baku: It’s time for Armenian MFA to change ‘same old song’
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijani MFA spokesman issues statement on 26th anniversary of occupation of Lachin by Armenia
- 16.05.2018Crisis Group expert: New gov’t in Armenia opens up new opportunities for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 16.05.2018Armenia’s occupation policy hinders peace in region: Azerbaijani parl’t speaker
- 15.05.2018OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs issue statement on Paris meeting
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan reiterates readiness to intensify talks for early settlement of Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 14.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov to discuss Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict with OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs
- 14.05.2018FM: Resettlement of Syrian Armenians in occupied Azerbaijani territories ‘unacceptable’
- 14.05.2018Armenia-Azerbaiajn Peace Platform holds meeting
- 13.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 89 times
- 12.05.2018Ali Ahmadov: If Pashinyan does not understand need for fair settlement of conflict, this is beginning of his tragedy
- 12.05.201824 years pass since declaration of ceasefire between Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Tigran Balayan trying to be extra active seeking promotion in new Armenian gov’t
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan slams Pashinyan’s proposal to accept separatist Karabakh regime as party in talks
- 10.05.2018Pashinyan’s statements contradict negotiation principles, says Azerbaijani diplomat
- 10.05.2018Bayram Safarov: Pashinyan will someday regret that he visited Shusha
- 09.05.2018Hikmat Hajiyev: The new Prime Minister of Armenia makes controversial statements about the negotiation process
- 09.05.2018Armenia’s new PM visits occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan allows some foreign media representatives to visit Nagorno-Karabakh
- 08.05.2018Six foreigners attempt to trespass Armenia-Azerbaijan border
- 08.05.2018Pashinyan says ready for talks with Azerbaijan on Karabakh conflict
- 08.05.2018“Serzh Sargsyan's resignation was overdue”
- 08.05.2018Nagorno-Karabakh is not disputed territory, Azerbaijan says
- 08.05.2018Azerbaijan says Armenia’s position impedes political settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 08.05.201826 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan's Shusha city by Armenia
- 07.05.2018Deputy parliament speaker: Nagorno-Karabakh population would have been better off now had they not revolted against Azerbaijan
- 06.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 82 times
- 04.05.2018Russian MFA comments on possible impact of Armenian political turmoil on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 03.05.2018Crisis Group: Armenia’s political fragility could contribute to escalation of conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh
- 29.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 87 times
- 27.04.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 90 times
- 26.04.2018Moscow hopes for resumption of talks on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 26.04.2018Shahbaz Guliyev taken hostage by Armenia sends video message to his family
- 25.04.2018Turkish president calls for settlement of Karabakh conflict in line with int’l law
- 25.04.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 95 times
- 15.11.2017Mehriban Aliyeva: UN resolutions on Nagorno-Karabakh must be implemented
- 15.11.2017FM Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan wants concrete results in Karabakh talks
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijanis stage rally outside Armenian embassy in Tbilisi, demand release of hostages Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 14.11.2017Armenian FM meets with OSCE MG co-chairs in Moscow
- 14.11.2017Lavrov: Efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement to be discussed in Baku and Yerevan
- 14.11.2017Russian FM Lavrov to visit Azerbaijan and Armenia – report