Ilham Aliyev: Armenian leadership tries to create global confrontation
The Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict that emerged at the end of the last century remains a major obstacle to the development of Azerbaijan, President Ilham Aliyev said in his message addressed to the participants of the 20th Eurasian Economic Summit that is underway in Istanbul.
“Armenia, with the support of foreign supporters, occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijani territories and committed acts of ethnic cleansing and genocide against Azerbaijanis. Despite the relevant resolutions of the UN Security Council, the occupying country doesn’t want to leave the occupied Azerbaijani territories and tries by all means to prolong the status quo,” President Aliyev said in his message.
“The most dangerous thing is that the Armenian leadership is trying to present this conflict, unleashed after Armenia’s territorial claims, as a confrontation between Christians and Muslims in order to create a global confrontation,” stressed the Azerbaijani president.
President Aliyev said that Azerbaijan, on all issues, puts forward proposals for common interests and carries out large transnational projects.
“Currently, the work on the Southern Gas Corridor project is going on successfully,” the president said in his message. “The construction of the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway, which connects Asia and Europe, is nearing completion.”
The president also pointed to a number of significant cultural and sporting events held in Azerbaijan in recent years.
“We believe that the next World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue to be held in Azerbaijan this year and the upcoming Islamic Solidarity Games will make a great contribution to the deepening of mutual trust and the strengthening of peace and security in the world and the region,” said Ilham Aliyev.
Azerbaijan’s president expressed his confidence that the heads of state and government, businessmen taking part in the summit will hold fruitful discussions on the issues on the agenda.
“Such summits, which significantly contribute to the development of bilateral relations in Eurasia, have become a platform for effective cooperation. Global problems and issues worrying all of humanity are thoroughly discussed at summits,” Ilham Aliyev said.
Related news releases
- 23.10.2017Novruz Mammadov: What do co-chairs think about Armenian president who promised and then took different step?!
- 23.10.2017Azerbaijani soldier killed during Armenian provocation laid to rest
- 22.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.10.2017Two Armenian soldiers die in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 21.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia, which destroys mosques, can never be a friend of Muslim states
- 19.10.2017Baku: 'Armenian leadership had better read UNSC resolutions on Karabakh'
- 19.10.2017Foreign Ministry: Issue of American showman’s visit to Nagorno-Karabakh under investigation
- 18.10.2017Armenians attempt provocation at int’l festival in Sochi
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani State Commission informed of Shahbaz Guliyev’s relocation to Yerevan and return
- 17.10.2017OSCE Chairmanship welcomes fresh commitment by Presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 17.10.2017Novruz Mammadov: Sargsyan does not want to give up his habit of derailing talks
- 17.10.2017UN Secretary General welcomes summit between Presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 16.10.2017Sargsyan: We agreed to take measures to further reduce tension on front line
- 16.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs will hold working sessions with Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs in near future
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents hold one-on meeting in Geneva
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents meet in Geneva
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet today
- 15.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 112 times
- 12.10.2017Meeting between the presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia to be held in Geneva next week
- 12.10.2017OSCE monitors border area between Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 11.10.2017Armenian soldier killed in retaliation by Azerbaijani army
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s attempts to disrupt Karabakh talks failed - UPDATED
- 08.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 87 times
- 07.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs arrives in Baku
- 06.10.2017Book “Children – Innocent Victims of War” published in Azerbaijan
- 06.10.2017Ziyafat Asgarov: If separatism in Karabakh had been prevented earlier, there would not be Kurdish, Catalan crises
- 06.10.2017Organization of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents’ meeting discussed in Yerevan
- 06.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs meet with Armenian FM
- 06.10.2017Georgian Parl’t: No real int’l mediation for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 06.10.2017EU supports efforts towards Nagorno Karabakh conflict settlement
- 05.10.2017Armenians appeal to Russian Investigative Committee over historian Kuznetsov’s interviews to APA Information Agency
- 05.10.2017Armenian media distorts Czech Senate president’s remarks about Azerbaijan
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia’s actions contradict basic principles of Christianity
- 05.10.2017US co-chair of OSCE MG visits Nagorno Karabakh
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijani President: "The absence of pressure on the aggressor at the international level is one of the reasons for the unresolved conflict"
- 04.10.2017FM Mammadyarov: Karabakh conflict must be resolved only within Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 04.10.2017Moscow does not rule out discussion of Karabakh conflict at CIS FMs’ meeting in Sochi
- 04.10.2017Azerbaijani FM: Armenia failed to fulfill commitment on Karabakh settlement since accession to Council of Europe
- 04.10.2017Turkey urges citizens not to travel to occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 05.04.2017Azerbaijan organizes foreign students’ trip to Jojug Marjanli
- 05.04.2017Writer Elchin Huseynbeyli joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 05.04.2017Russian MFA makes statement on anniversary of April escalation in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijani President: "We highly appreciate Russia's efforts to settle the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 04.04.2017Lavrov: Moscow expects Baku, Yerevan will show political will for mutual concessions
- 04.04.2017Doctor of historical sciences of Istanbul University joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform