Ilham Aliyev: Armenian leadership tries to create global confrontation
The Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict that emerged at the end of the last century remains a major obstacle to the development of Azerbaijan, President Ilham Aliyev said in his message addressed to the participants of the 20th Eurasian Economic Summit that is underway in Istanbul.
“Armenia, with the support of foreign supporters, occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijani territories and committed acts of ethnic cleansing and genocide against Azerbaijanis. Despite the relevant resolutions of the UN Security Council, the occupying country doesn’t want to leave the occupied Azerbaijani territories and tries by all means to prolong the status quo,” President Aliyev said in his message.
“The most dangerous thing is that the Armenian leadership is trying to present this conflict, unleashed after Armenia’s territorial claims, as a confrontation between Christians and Muslims in order to create a global confrontation,” stressed the Azerbaijani president.
President Aliyev said that Azerbaijan, on all issues, puts forward proposals for common interests and carries out large transnational projects.
“Currently, the work on the Southern Gas Corridor project is going on successfully,” the president said in his message. “The construction of the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway, which connects Asia and Europe, is nearing completion.”
The president also pointed to a number of significant cultural and sporting events held in Azerbaijan in recent years.
“We believe that the next World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue to be held in Azerbaijan this year and the upcoming Islamic Solidarity Games will make a great contribution to the deepening of mutual trust and the strengthening of peace and security in the world and the region,” said Ilham Aliyev.
Azerbaijan’s president expressed his confidence that the heads of state and government, businessmen taking part in the summit will hold fruitful discussions on the issues on the agenda.
“Such summits, which significantly contribute to the development of bilateral relations in Eurasia, have become a platform for effective cooperation. Global problems and issues worrying all of humanity are thoroughly discussed at summits,” Ilham Aliyev said.
Related news releases
- 22.03.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: Armenia abuses water as means of ‘ecological terror’
- 22.03.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: Int’l community witnessed Armenia’s invasion policy once again
- 22.03.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 101 times
- 20.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 97 times
- 19.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Large part of present-day Armenia is historical Azerbaijani land
- 18.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 117 times
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani PM: Armenia continues its non-constructive position, tries to protract Karabakh conflict
- 16.03.2018FM: Karabakh talks to be intensified after elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 15.03.2018Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijanis must return to their ancestral lands, Armenians must live there together with them
- 15.03.2018World unwilling to resolve Karabakh problem: Turkey’s ex-FM
- 15.03.2018Turkey, Azerbaijan cooperate on regional issues, counterterrorism – PM
- 15.03.2018Former EU special rep: After me, there’s been no substantial change in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.03.2018Russian MFA comments on US visit of Karabakh separatists’ leader
- 15.03.2018Zakharova: "Artsakh Republic" has no representation in Moscow
- 15.03.2018UK supports OSCE Minsk Group efforts to resolve Karabakh conflict - envoy
- 15.03.2018Status quo in Karabakh conflict ‘unacceptable’ – Azerbaijani president
- 14.03.2018The next ceasefire monitoring exercise will be conducted on the Line of Contact of the armed forces of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 14.03.2018UN, OSCE and all nations recognize Azerbaijan’s fair position on Nagorno-Karabakh issue – Turkish PM
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijan’s damage from Armenian occupation surpasses $818 billion
- 13.03.2018Romania committed to continuous development of partnership with Azerbaijan - MP
- 13.03.2018OSCE PA says there are shortcomings in protracted conflicts
- 12.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 106 times
- 10.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 110 times
- 08.03.2018Azerbaijani Permanent Mission to the OSCE clarifies allegations surfaced in the Armenian media
- 07.03.2018Russian presidential hopeful talks about possible solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 06.03.2018CSTO not to support Karabakh separatists in case of war
- 06.03.2018UNICEF says death of children in ceasefire violations ‘unacceptable’
- 06.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.03.2018FM Mammadyarov: Karabakh peace talks to be intensified after elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 05.03.2018Spanish edition of Los Angeles Times: Armenia has committed genocide against Azerbaijani people in Khojaly
- 04.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 98 times
- 02.03.2018Moscow sees no need for separatist Karabakh regime’s involvement in negotiation process
- 02.03.2018Baku says Nalbandian tries to justify Armenia’s failed foreign policy for internal audience
- 01.03.2018Azerbaijani diplomat responds to Armenian FM’s statement in UN
- 01.03.2018Secretary General: "The UN supports the efforts of the OSCE Minsk Group on the peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 28.02.2018Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,400 times in February
- 27.02.2018Baku sees no alternative to peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict – FM
- 05.04.2017Azerbaijan organizes foreign students’ trip to Jojug Marjanli
- 05.04.2017Writer Elchin Huseynbeyli joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 05.04.2017Russian MFA makes statement on anniversary of April escalation in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijani President: "We highly appreciate Russia's efforts to settle the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 04.04.2017Lavrov: Moscow expects Baku, Yerevan will show political will for mutual concessions
- 04.04.2017Doctor of historical sciences of Istanbul University joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform