Ilham Aliyev: Armenian leadership tries to create global confrontation
The Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict that emerged at the end of the last century remains a major obstacle to the development of Azerbaijan, President Ilham Aliyev said in his message addressed to the participants of the 20th Eurasian Economic Summit that is underway in Istanbul.
“Armenia, with the support of foreign supporters, occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijani territories and committed acts of ethnic cleansing and genocide against Azerbaijanis. Despite the relevant resolutions of the UN Security Council, the occupying country doesn’t want to leave the occupied Azerbaijani territories and tries by all means to prolong the status quo,” President Aliyev said in his message.
“The most dangerous thing is that the Armenian leadership is trying to present this conflict, unleashed after Armenia’s territorial claims, as a confrontation between Christians and Muslims in order to create a global confrontation,” stressed the Azerbaijani president.
President Aliyev said that Azerbaijan, on all issues, puts forward proposals for common interests and carries out large transnational projects.
“Currently, the work on the Southern Gas Corridor project is going on successfully,” the president said in his message. “The construction of the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway, which connects Asia and Europe, is nearing completion.”
The president also pointed to a number of significant cultural and sporting events held in Azerbaijan in recent years.
“We believe that the next World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue to be held in Azerbaijan this year and the upcoming Islamic Solidarity Games will make a great contribution to the deepening of mutual trust and the strengthening of peace and security in the world and the region,” said Ilham Aliyev.
Azerbaijan’s president expressed his confidence that the heads of state and government, businessmen taking part in the summit will hold fruitful discussions on the issues on the agenda.
“Such summits, which significantly contribute to the development of bilateral relations in Eurasia, have become a platform for effective cooperation. Global problems and issues worrying all of humanity are thoroughly discussed at summits,” Ilham Aliyev said.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijani-born Armenian arrives in Baku
- 25.05.2018No discussion yet on date of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs’ meeting – Mammadyarov
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijani FM: Proposing Karabakh separatists’ participation in talks means ‘killing’ peace process
- 25.05.2018FM: Azerbaijan ready for good neighborly relations with Armenia after restoration of its territorial integrity
- 24.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani people confident of restoring country’s territorial integrity
- 24.05.2018Trump: Coming months bring opportunities to resolve Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 23.05.2018FM: Armenia to resume Karabakh peace process in near future
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets personal representative of OSCE Chairman-in-Office
- 23.05.2018Russia vows to continue active role in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 23.05.2018ECHR soon to hear case of Azerbaijanis held hostage by Armenia – attorney
- 22.05.2018Baku: Armenia bears int’l legal responsibility for occupation of Azerbaijani territories
- 20.05.2018A serviceman of the Azerbaijan Army was killed as a result of another provocation of Armenia
- 20.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 93 times
- 18.05.201826 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Lachin district by Armenia
- 17.05.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit region next month
- 17.05.2018Baku: It’s time for Armenian MFA to change ‘same old song’
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijani MFA spokesman issues statement on 26th anniversary of occupation of Lachin by Armenia
- 16.05.2018Crisis Group expert: New gov’t in Armenia opens up new opportunities for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 16.05.2018Armenia’s occupation policy hinders peace in region: Azerbaijani parl’t speaker
- 15.05.2018OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs issue statement on Paris meeting
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan reiterates readiness to intensify talks for early settlement of Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 14.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov to discuss Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict with OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs
- 14.05.2018FM: Resettlement of Syrian Armenians in occupied Azerbaijani territories ‘unacceptable’
- 14.05.2018Armenia-Azerbaiajn Peace Platform holds meeting
- 13.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 89 times
- 12.05.2018Ali Ahmadov: If Pashinyan does not understand need for fair settlement of conflict, this is beginning of his tragedy
- 12.05.201824 years pass since declaration of ceasefire between Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Tigran Balayan trying to be extra active seeking promotion in new Armenian gov’t
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan slams Pashinyan’s proposal to accept separatist Karabakh regime as party in talks
- 10.05.2018Pashinyan’s statements contradict negotiation principles, says Azerbaijani diplomat
- 10.05.2018Bayram Safarov: Pashinyan will someday regret that he visited Shusha
- 09.05.2018Hikmat Hajiyev: The new Prime Minister of Armenia makes controversial statements about the negotiation process
- 09.05.2018Armenia’s new PM visits occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan allows some foreign media representatives to visit Nagorno-Karabakh
- 08.05.2018Six foreigners attempt to trespass Armenia-Azerbaijan border
- 08.05.2018Pashinyan says ready for talks with Azerbaijan on Karabakh conflict
- 08.05.2018“Serzh Sargsyan's resignation was overdue”
- 08.05.2018Nagorno-Karabakh is not disputed territory, Azerbaijan says
- 08.05.2018Azerbaijan says Armenia’s position impedes political settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 08.05.201826 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan's Shusha city by Armenia
- 05.04.2016Putin telephones Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents
- 05.04.2016OSCE participating states discuss recent escalation in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 05.04.2016“We are awaiting Your order, Supreme Commander-in-Chief” – messages to Azerbaijani president
- 05.04.2016Some MEPs issue statement on escalation of tensions between Armenia, Azerbaijan
- 05.04.2016Russian, French co-chairs en route to Baku - UPDATED
- 05.04.2016OSCE Permanent Council commences special meeting on latest developments in Nagorno-Karabakh