Ilham Aliyev: Armenia's occupation policy is attack not only on Azerbaijan, but also on historical and cultural heritage of Islam
Today, the Islamic world faces serious challenges and many problems awaiting their solution, Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev said in an article titled “Strengthening of Islamic Solidarity is a Challenge of Time,” which was published by OIC Journal, the official publication of the Organization of Islamic Conference.
“Among the problems faced by the Islamic world, we can mention the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, Palestinian and Kashmir conflicts, clashes in the Middle East, the refugee crisis and other issues,” said the president.
In the article, President Aliyev pointed to bloody actions carried out by Armenians over the last 200 years in order to occupy Azerbaijan’s historical lands and realize their plans to build their own state in these territories.
The present Armenian state was established in the ancient Azerbaijani lands, the president noted.
“Continuing its aggressive policy, in the early 1990s Armenia occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijani territories, as a result of which more than a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced persons, and acts of ethnic cleansing and genocide were committed against our compatriots,” the Azerbaijani president said.
President Aliyev in his article also reminded the UN Security Council’s four resolutions (1993), which condemn the occupation of Azerbaijani territories and reaffirm the territorial integrity, sovereignty and inviolability of the internationally recognized borders of Azerbaijan.
“Similar documents have also been adopted by the OSCE, the Council of Europe, the European Union, the Non-Aligned Movement and other prestigious organizations. The OIC adopted numerous resolutions supporting the territorial integrity and fair position of Azerbaijan, calling for recognition of the Khojaly genocide and stressing the need to take practical steps against Armenia’s aggressive policy. The issue was repeatedly discussed at sessions of the OIC Foreign Ministers Council. Besides, in September 2016, the OIC established a Contact Group on the aggression of Armenia against Azerbaijan,” added President Aliyev.
The Azerbaijani leader said he believes the UN and OIC resolutions that openly recognize Armenia as an aggressor should be the main message for Muslim countries wishing to develop relations with the occupant state.
“Armenia's occupation policy is an attack not only on Azerbaijan, but also on the historical and cultural heritage of Islam in general. Hundreds of Muslim monuments, mosques, places of worship, cemeteries, etc. were destroyed in the Azerbaijani territories occupied by Armenia, and all this was confirmed by the OSCE fact-finding missions,” noted President Aliyev.
In his article, the head of state pointed out that because of the occupation of Azerbaijani territories, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia officially refused to recognize Armenia and Turkey, in turn, established no relations with this country.
“Five Muslim countries have officially recognized the Khojaly genocide. We consider all this an example of fraternal relations and real support”, the Azerbaijani president said.
Related news releases
- 20.11.201726 years have passed since Armenians shot down military helicopter with Azerbaijani political elite on board
- 19.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 18.11.2017EU Special Representative for South Caucasus to visit Baku
- 18.11.2017Armenia 123 times breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan in 24 hours
- 17.11.2017Erdogan: "We discussed Nagorno-Karabakh conflict with Putin"
- 16.11.2017Armenia continues military exercises in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani FM: Following Vienna talks, we’ll offer the presidents to meet - INTERVIEW
- 16.11.2017Ambassador Cekuta reacts to reports on alleged U.S. decision to withdraw from OSCE MG chairmanship
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs agree to meet in Vienna next month
- 16.11.2017Baku agrees with proposal to hold meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs in Vienna - UPDATED
- 16.11.2017Moscow reacts to Matthew Bryza’s statement on possible change in Minsk Group format
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijanis stage rally outside Armenian embassy in Tbilisi, demand release of hostages Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 15.11.2017FM Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan wants concrete results in Karabakh talks
- 15.11.2017Mehriban Aliyeva: UN resolutions on Nagorno-Karabakh must be implemented
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan will restore its territorial integrity at any cost
- 14.11.2017Armenian FM meets with OSCE MG co-chairs in Moscow
- 14.11.2017Lavrov: Efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement to be discussed in Baku and Yerevan
- 14.11.2017Russian FM Lavrov to visit Azerbaijan and Armenia – report
- 13.11.2017Meeting of OSCE MG co-chairs, PACE co-rapporteurs on Karabakh conflict postponed
- 13.11.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to meet with Armenian FM in Moscow
- 13.11.2017Nearly 4,600 IDP families in Azerbaijan currently live in homes in disrepair – MP
- 12.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 122 times
- 11.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.11.2017U.S. diplomat says status quo in respect of Karabakh conflict ‘unacceptable’
- 10.11.2017OSCE Permanent Council holds meeting on Karabakh conflict
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijan expects OSCE MG to take practical steps to intensify peace negotiations over Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 09.11.2017Contacts in various formats on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict are no exception – Russian Foreign Ministry
- 08.11.2017Armenians attempt to interrupt Karabakh discussions during NATO PA seminar
- 08.11.2017Moscow: OSCE MG co-chairs plan to organize meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs by year-end
- 07.11.2017FM Mammadyarov: To change status quo, occupation of Azerbaijani lands must end
- 07.11.2017Armenia launches military drills in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 07.11.2017Ambassador Cekuta discusses Karabakh conflict with U.S. co-chair of OSCE MG
- 07.11.2017Geneva meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents is ‘a positive step’, says U.S. envoy
- 06.11.2017Dennis Sammut: Potential war in Karabakh won’t be like before
- 06.11.2017Turkey's municipal heads visit Jojug Marjanli
- 05.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 125 times
- 04.11.2017Anti-tank grenade blows up killing one and wounding two in Armenian military unit in Nagorno Narakabh
- 03.11.2017Women of Khojaly sends letter to CNN host Bourdain over his illegal visit to Karabakh
- 03.11.2017OSCE chief says ‘important’ to work with Russia to settle conflicts
- 03.11.2017U.S. supports peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict, says ambassador
- 10.05.2017Hoagland: US, Russia will continue to cooperate on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 10.05.2017Hoagland: US should play more active role in Karabakh settlement process
- 10.05.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform presented at int’l forum in Egypt
- 10.05.2017OSCE MG US co-chair calls for serious high-level talks on Karabakh conflict
- 10.05.2017ICRC in Nagorno-Karabakh visits Azerbaijani detainees
- 09.05.2017Ambassador: Belarus supports peaceful settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict