Ilham Aliyev: Armenia's occupation policy is attack not only on Azerbaijan, but also on historical and cultural heritage of Islam
Today, the Islamic world faces serious challenges and many problems awaiting their solution, Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev said in an article titled “Strengthening of Islamic Solidarity is a Challenge of Time,” which was published by OIC Journal, the official publication of the Organization of Islamic Conference.
“Among the problems faced by the Islamic world, we can mention the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, Palestinian and Kashmir conflicts, clashes in the Middle East, the refugee crisis and other issues,” said the president.
In the article, President Aliyev pointed to bloody actions carried out by Armenians over the last 200 years in order to occupy Azerbaijan’s historical lands and realize their plans to build their own state in these territories.
The present Armenian state was established in the ancient Azerbaijani lands, the president noted.
“Continuing its aggressive policy, in the early 1990s Armenia occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijani territories, as a result of which more than a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced persons, and acts of ethnic cleansing and genocide were committed against our compatriots,” the Azerbaijani president said.
President Aliyev in his article also reminded the UN Security Council’s four resolutions (1993), which condemn the occupation of Azerbaijani territories and reaffirm the territorial integrity, sovereignty and inviolability of the internationally recognized borders of Azerbaijan.
“Similar documents have also been adopted by the OSCE, the Council of Europe, the European Union, the Non-Aligned Movement and other prestigious organizations. The OIC adopted numerous resolutions supporting the territorial integrity and fair position of Azerbaijan, calling for recognition of the Khojaly genocide and stressing the need to take practical steps against Armenia’s aggressive policy. The issue was repeatedly discussed at sessions of the OIC Foreign Ministers Council. Besides, in September 2016, the OIC established a Contact Group on the aggression of Armenia against Azerbaijan,” added President Aliyev.
The Azerbaijani leader said he believes the UN and OIC resolutions that openly recognize Armenia as an aggressor should be the main message for Muslim countries wishing to develop relations with the occupant state.
“Armenia's occupation policy is an attack not only on Azerbaijan, but also on the historical and cultural heritage of Islam in general. Hundreds of Muslim monuments, mosques, places of worship, cemeteries, etc. were destroyed in the Azerbaijani territories occupied by Armenia, and all this was confirmed by the OSCE fact-finding missions,” noted President Aliyev.
In his article, the head of state pointed out that because of the occupation of Azerbaijani territories, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia officially refused to recognize Armenia and Turkey, in turn, established no relations with this country.
“Five Muslim countries have officially recognized the Khojaly genocide. We consider all this an example of fraternal relations and real support”, the Azerbaijani president said.
Related news releases
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Krakow
- 15.01.2018MFA: Azerbaijan welcomes the statement of Sergey Lavrov on step by step resolution of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 15.01.2018Moscow says step by step approach needed for Karabakh settlement
- 15.01.2018Russian FM: Karabakh conflict can be resolved only by Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 14.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 126 times
- 13.01.2018EU hails Italy’s commitment to continue strengthening OSCE work to address Karabakh conflict through existing format
- 13.01.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.01.2018Andrzej Kasprzyk reappointed as OSCE Chairman-in-Office Personal Representative
- 12.01.2018U.S. says hopeful signs from Geneva meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents should be taken into account
- 11.01.2018FM: Italy to support OSCE MG efforts for Karabakh settlement
- 11.01.2018Department of State urges Americans to avoid traveling to Nagorno-Karabakh
- 10.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: World community recognizes Nagorno-Karabakh as integral part of Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018ICRC visits Armenian saboteurs detained in Azerbaijan
- 08.01.2018Armenian soldier killed in retaliation by Azerbaijani army
- 07.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 119 times
- 02.01.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 31.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 140 times
- 29.12.2017Armenian parliament vice-speaker shows political illiteracy in every statement – Azerbaijani MFA
- 29.12.2017Date set for next meeting of Sub-Committee on Conflicts between Council of Europe member states
- 28.12.2017Baku: Expansion of Kasprzyk’s office should be conducted in parallel with substantive Karabakh talks
- 28.12.2017Baku says there was revival in Karabakh talks in second half of 2017
- 28.12.2017Baku: Issue of Azerbaijanis held hostage by Armenia discussed with Russia, OSCE and ICRC
- 28.12.201726 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Khankendi
- 27.12.2017Russia welcomes activation of negotiation process on Karabakh settlement – deputy FM
- 26.12.2017Azerbaijan removes Russian photographer from “black list”
- 25.12.2017Rafael Isakhanian removed as co-chair and member of Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform
- 24.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 139 times
- 23.12.2017Rapprochement of Russia, Iran, Turkey can contribute to resolve Karabakh conflict – Russian political scientist
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani official: EaP summit declaration’s provision on territorial integrity and sovereignty is of great importance
- 23.12.2017High time to resolve Karabakh conflict – Turkish envoy
- 22.12.2017World’s superpowers not interested in resolving Karabakh problem – ISESCO
- 21.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity is as valuable as that of all other countries
- 21.12.2017Idea of creating a second Armenian state is a ‘dangerous and sick logic’ – Azerbaijani president
- 20.12.2017Cavusoglu: Turkey supports Azerbaijan’s formula of Karabakh conflict settlement
- 20.12.2017Next meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to be held in a European country
- 19.12.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.12.2017NATO hopes for positive change in Karabakh peace process, Gottemoeller says
- 17.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 119 times
- 16.12.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.12.2017Turkey: Armenia must be held accountable for crimes in Azerbaijan’s Khojaly
- 10.05.2017Hoagland: US, Russia will continue to cooperate on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 10.05.2017Hoagland: US should play more active role in Karabakh settlement process
- 10.05.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform presented at int’l forum in Egypt
- 10.05.2017OSCE MG US co-chair calls for serious high-level talks on Karabakh conflict
- 10.05.2017ICRC in Nagorno-Karabakh visits Azerbaijani detainees
- 09.05.2017Ambassador: Belarus supports peaceful settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict