Ilham Aliyev: Armenia's occupation policy is attack not only on Azerbaijan, but also on historical and cultural heritage of Islam
Today, the Islamic world faces serious challenges and many problems awaiting their solution, Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev said in an article titled “Strengthening of Islamic Solidarity is a Challenge of Time,” which was published by OIC Journal, the official publication of the Organization of Islamic Conference.
“Among the problems faced by the Islamic world, we can mention the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, Palestinian and Kashmir conflicts, clashes in the Middle East, the refugee crisis and other issues,” said the president.
In the article, President Aliyev pointed to bloody actions carried out by Armenians over the last 200 years in order to occupy Azerbaijan’s historical lands and realize their plans to build their own state in these territories.
The present Armenian state was established in the ancient Azerbaijani lands, the president noted.
“Continuing its aggressive policy, in the early 1990s Armenia occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijani territories, as a result of which more than a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced persons, and acts of ethnic cleansing and genocide were committed against our compatriots,” the Azerbaijani president said.
President Aliyev in his article also reminded the UN Security Council’s four resolutions (1993), which condemn the occupation of Azerbaijani territories and reaffirm the territorial integrity, sovereignty and inviolability of the internationally recognized borders of Azerbaijan.
“Similar documents have also been adopted by the OSCE, the Council of Europe, the European Union, the Non-Aligned Movement and other prestigious organizations. The OIC adopted numerous resolutions supporting the territorial integrity and fair position of Azerbaijan, calling for recognition of the Khojaly genocide and stressing the need to take practical steps against Armenia’s aggressive policy. The issue was repeatedly discussed at sessions of the OIC Foreign Ministers Council. Besides, in September 2016, the OIC established a Contact Group on the aggression of Armenia against Azerbaijan,” added President Aliyev.
The Azerbaijani leader said he believes the UN and OIC resolutions that openly recognize Armenia as an aggressor should be the main message for Muslim countries wishing to develop relations with the occupant state.
“Armenia's occupation policy is an attack not only on Azerbaijan, but also on the historical and cultural heritage of Islam in general. Hundreds of Muslim monuments, mosques, places of worship, cemeteries, etc. were destroyed in the Azerbaijani territories occupied by Armenia, and all this was confirmed by the OSCE fact-finding missions,” noted President Aliyev.
In his article, the head of state pointed out that because of the occupation of Azerbaijani territories, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia officially refused to recognize Armenia and Turkey, in turn, established no relations with this country.
“Five Muslim countries have officially recognized the Khojaly genocide. We consider all this an example of fraternal relations and real support”, the Azerbaijani president said.
Related news releases
- 18.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 117 times
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani PM: Armenia continues its non-constructive position, tries to protract Karabakh conflict
- 16.03.2018FM: Karabakh talks to be intensified after elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 15.03.2018Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijanis must return to their ancestral lands, Armenians must live there together with them
- 15.03.2018World unwilling to resolve Karabakh problem: Turkey’s ex-FM
- 15.03.2018Turkey, Azerbaijan cooperate on regional issues, counterterrorism – PM
- 15.03.2018Former EU special rep: After me, there’s been no substantial change in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.03.2018Russian MFA comments on US visit of Karabakh separatists’ leader
- 15.03.2018Zakharova: "Artsakh Republic" has no representation in Moscow
- 15.03.2018UK supports OSCE Minsk Group efforts to resolve Karabakh conflict - envoy
- 15.03.2018Status quo in Karabakh conflict ‘unacceptable’ – Azerbaijani president
- 14.03.2018The next ceasefire monitoring exercise will be conducted on the Line of Contact of the armed forces of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 14.03.2018UN, OSCE and all nations recognize Azerbaijan’s fair position on Nagorno-Karabakh issue – Turkish PM
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijan’s damage from Armenian occupation surpasses $818 billion
- 13.03.2018Romania committed to continuous development of partnership with Azerbaijan - MP
- 13.03.2018OSCE PA says there are shortcomings in protracted conflicts
- 12.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 106 times
- 10.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 110 times
- 08.03.2018Azerbaijani Permanent Mission to the OSCE clarifies allegations surfaced in the Armenian media
- 07.03.2018Russian presidential hopeful talks about possible solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 06.03.2018CSTO not to support Karabakh separatists in case of war
- 06.03.2018UNICEF says death of children in ceasefire violations ‘unacceptable’
- 06.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.03.2018FM Mammadyarov: Karabakh peace talks to be intensified after elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 05.03.2018Spanish edition of Los Angeles Times: Armenia has committed genocide against Azerbaijani people in Khojaly
- 04.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 98 times
- 02.03.2018Moscow sees no need for separatist Karabakh regime’s involvement in negotiation process
- 02.03.2018Baku says Nalbandian tries to justify Armenia’s failed foreign policy for internal audience
- 01.03.2018Azerbaijani diplomat responds to Armenian FM’s statement in UN
- 01.03.2018Secretary General: "The UN supports the efforts of the OSCE Minsk Group on the peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 28.02.2018Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,400 times in February
- 27.02.2018Baku sees no alternative to peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict – FM
- 27.02.2018Azerbaijani FM: Those responsible for Khojaly genocide still enjoy impunity
- 27.02.2018Requiem concert dedicated to Khojaly genocide held in Amsterdam
- 26.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev was interviewed by Rossiya-24 correspondent
- 26.02.2018Russian lawmaker urges world community to condemn Khojaly genocide
- 26.02.2018Film on Khojaly genocide screened on California’s TV channels
- 26.02.2018Turkish Foreign Ministry strongly condemns Khojaly massacre
- 10.05.2017Hoagland: US, Russia will continue to cooperate on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 10.05.2017Hoagland: US should play more active role in Karabakh settlement process
- 10.05.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform presented at int’l forum in Egypt
- 10.05.2017OSCE MG US co-chair calls for serious high-level talks on Karabakh conflict
- 10.05.2017ICRC in Nagorno-Karabakh visits Azerbaijani detainees
- 09.05.2017Ambassador: Belarus supports peaceful settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict