Hikmat Hajiyev: Armenia has particular fear of phrase ‘substantive talks’
Q: What would you say about the remarks Armenian Foreign Minister Edward Nalbandian made at the joint press conference with his Estonian counterpart?
A: It seems that the Armenian Foreign Ministry does not have the foggiest idea of what the Helsinki Final Act and UN Security Council resolutions are or they deliberately distort the Helsinki Final Act and the Charter of the United Nations in a bid to deceive the Armenian people. No one has the power to distort the resolutions of the UN Security Council. The UN Security Council Resolutions 822 (1993), 853 (1993), 874 (1993), 884 (1993), which form the principal basis for the resolution of the conflict, condemn the use of force against Azerbaijan and the occupation of the Azerbaijani territories, reaffirming the country's sovereignty, territorial integrity and the inviolability of its internationally recognized borders. These resolutions emphasize the inadmissibility of any attempt to change internationally recognized borders by use of force. The aforementioned UN Security Council resolutions recognize the Nagorno-Karabakh region as an integral part of Azerbaijan and calls for an immediate, complete and unconditional withdrawal of Armenian troops from Azerbaijan’s occupied territories.
It would be more than enough to simply remind the Armenian foreign minister of the state-level statements made by the OSC Minsk Group co-chairs in Hacqueville on 10 July 2009 and in Muskoka on 26 June 2010. These statements call for the return of Nagorno-Karabakh and the seven surrounding districts as the initial phase based on the elements worked out on the basis of the Helsinki Final Act. The first item of the updated Madrid Principles, which presuppose a step-by-step solution to the conflict, also consists of this. The essence of the St. Petersburg meeting and document on the negotiating table also consists of this. Though Armenia is required to withdraw its troops from the occupied Azerbaijani territories, the country stills ignores it and does not hesitate to distort the statements made at the level of presidents of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairing countries.
Q: During the Moscow meeting, Armenia’s foreign minister said that there are no substantive talks on existing proposals. What do you think of these remarks?
A: Armenia has particular fear of phrase ‘substantive talks’. Despite the repeated calls of the Minsk Group co-chairs and the UN secretary general for the beginning of substantive talks, the Armenian foreign minister always tries to avoid using this phrase. Thus, substantive talks envisage the change of the status-quo, which the co-chairs consider inappropriate and comprehensive measures, including withdrawal of the Armenian troops from the Azerbaijani territories. Speaking on behalf of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs, the Armenian foreign minister has already begun speaking on behalf of the Russian Foreign Ministry. Nalbandian knows better why he went to Moscow on April 26. However, we can say that the proposals on the negotiation table were discussed at the ministers’ meeting in Moscow on that day. It is ridiculous that the Armenian foreign minister said ministers of the three countries prepared at the Moscow meeting a press release which consists of only a few sentences.
Armenia’s Foreign Ministry, with such unserious and useless statements, undermines the negotiation process. Instead, Armenia’s constructive participation in substantive talks could serve to resolve the conflict and ensure sustainable peace in the region.
Related news releases
- 22.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.10.2017Two Armenian soldiers die in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 21.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia, which destroys mosques, can never be a friend of Muslim states
- 19.10.2017Baku: 'Armenian leadership had better read UNSC resolutions on Karabakh'
- 19.10.2017Foreign Ministry: Issue of American showman’s visit to Nagorno-Karabakh under investigation
- 18.10.2017Armenians attempt provocation at int’l festival in Sochi
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani State Commission informed of Shahbaz Guliyev’s relocation to Yerevan and return
- 17.10.2017OSCE Chairmanship welcomes fresh commitment by Presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 17.10.2017Novruz Mammadov: Sargsyan does not want to give up his habit of derailing talks
- 17.10.2017UN Secretary General welcomes summit between Presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 16.10.2017Sargsyan: We agreed to take measures to further reduce tension on front line
- 16.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs will hold working sessions with Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs in near future
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents hold one-on meeting in Geneva
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents meet in Geneva
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet today
- 15.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 112 times
- 12.10.2017Meeting between the presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia to be held in Geneva next week
- 12.10.2017OSCE monitors border area between Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 11.10.2017Armenian soldier killed in retaliation by Azerbaijani army
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s attempts to disrupt Karabakh talks failed - UPDATED
- 08.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 87 times
- 07.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs arrives in Baku
- 06.10.2017Book “Children – Innocent Victims of War” published in Azerbaijan
- 06.10.2017Ziyafat Asgarov: If separatism in Karabakh had been prevented earlier, there would not be Kurdish, Catalan crises
- 06.10.2017Organization of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents’ meeting discussed in Yerevan
- 06.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs meet with Armenian FM
- 06.10.2017Georgian Parl’t: No real int’l mediation for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 06.10.2017EU supports efforts towards Nagorno Karabakh conflict settlement
- 05.10.2017Armenians appeal to Russian Investigative Committee over historian Kuznetsov’s interviews to APA Information Agency
- 05.10.2017Armenian media distorts Czech Senate president’s remarks about Azerbaijan
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia’s actions contradict basic principles of Christianity
- 05.10.2017US co-chair of OSCE MG visits Nagorno Karabakh
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijani President: "The absence of pressure on the aggressor at the international level is one of the reasons for the unresolved conflict"
- 04.10.2017FM Mammadyarov: Karabakh conflict must be resolved only within Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 04.10.2017Moscow does not rule out discussion of Karabakh conflict at CIS FMs’ meeting in Sochi
- 04.10.2017Azerbaijani FM: Armenia failed to fulfill commitment on Karabakh settlement since accession to Council of Europe
- 04.10.2017Turkey urges citizens not to travel to occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 03.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to arrive in Baku on Oct. 7
- 03.10.2017Ukraine committed to supporting Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity – FM
- 14.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 132 times
- 14.06.2017Ziyafat Asgarov: I expect nothing from Minsk Group co-chairs’ upcoming visit to region
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijani deputy PM: Minsk Group co-chairs should strive more for just decision to be taken
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijan urges foreign nationals to refrain from participation in int’l event in Karabakh
- 13.06.2017ANAMA: Operations in Jojug Marjanli to be completed by late June
- 13.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s destruction of mosques in occupied Azerbaijani lands is a crime against Muslim world