Heads of Azerbaijan's religious confessions appeal to int’l organizations, ECHR
The head of Azerbaijan's religious confessions have adopted an appeal to the world's religious leaders, parliaments, international organizations and the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) in connection with the 25th commemoration of the Khojaly Genocide.
The appeal was signed by the Chairman of the Caucasian Muslims Office Sheikh-ul Islam Allahshukur Pashazade; the Archbishop of Baku and Azerbaijan Alexandr; the Head of the Community of Mountain Jews in Azerbaijan Melih Yevdayev; The Head of the Albanian-Udi Christian Community in Azerbaijan Robert Mobili.
APA presents the appeal
“On the eve of the 25th commemoration of the Genocide committed against the town of Khojaly, located in Karabakh, Azerbaijan, we reiterate our appeal to the entire International Community, irrespective of religion, language, race or nationality.
The Historical fact evidences that on the night of February 25th to 26th, 1992, the Armenian invaders, supported by their protectors, attacked suddenly the town of Khojaly and committed ruthless massacre of peaceful unarmed civilians. That night, the armed Armenian bandits brutally killed 613 people, among them the elderly, the children, and the pregnant women. Khojaly was razed to ground, 150 persons were missing, 1275 people captured to be severely tortured, unthinkable outrage was committed on the bodies of brutally murdered people.
At its core, the Khojaly tragedy is on a par with the Holocaust, Guernica and Katlyn genocides. As result of Armenian aggression, Azerbaijani people were subjected to ethnic cleansing, physical and moral terror in their own homeland. Armenian extremists occupied 20 per cent of our territories, banished more than one million of our compatriots from their native home places, and destroyed our historical, religious and cultural monuments and relics, committing acts of vandalism in the occupied Karabakh lands. The intentional act of genocide committed in Khojaly became culmination point of Armenian atrocities.
Although 25 years have passed, the crimes of Armenian terrorists remain unpunished, and the four well-known UN Security Council resolutions unimplemented. Despite objective approach of a number of Countries in the World and International Organizations to reiterated appeals of Azerbaijan to the International Community and acknowledgement of genocide in Khojaly by them, unfortunately, there also are those who neglect this horrific crime.
At the heart of acts of violence, terror and extremism, committed in the World today, are double standards and dangerous trends of racism, anti-Semitism, xenophobia and Islamophobia, which appear in approach of some states, organizations and religious leaders to the existing problems. As long as acts of genocide, including the Khojaly tragedy, will remain without an adequate assessment because such an approach, this will provoke new humanitarian disasters, crimes against humankind, and create grounds for further acts of genocide, terrorism, extremism and separatism over the World.
Dismissive approach towards this aggression against Azerbaijan, the subsequent problem of one million refugees and displaced people, and impunity of Armenian extremists after the banishment of our compatriots from their own homes, is encouraging the Armenian side not only to continue their provocations, but also to capture our compatriots, who pay visits to the graves of their relatives, resting in their home lands, to torture them inhumanly, even to ignore the requirements of the International Conventions on the return of the bodies of the killed persons.
We, the leaders of the various religious faiths, living in Azerbaijan, believe that the territorial integrity of our Country will be certainly restored with the efforts, led by the Supreme Commander of Azerbaijan, and we offer up our prayers for that. We greatly honor the blessed memory of those who lost their lives in the name of liberation of Karabakh, and those who died martyrs in Khojaly. Each of us, who wants peace, happiness, security and prosperity for the peoples of the World, has a sacred duty to the Almighty Creator, in the name of Conscience and in the name of Humanity - to achieve Justice.
Appealing once again to the Religious Leaders, Parliaments, International Organizations and the European Court of Human Rights, we call them to give a principled political and legal assessment of the aggression and the acts of atrocities committed by Armenian extremists against the Azerbaijani people, to recognize the crimes committed in Khojaly as Genocide.”
Related news releases
- 22.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.10.2017Two Armenian soldiers die in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 21.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia, which destroys mosques, can never be a friend of Muslim states
- 19.10.2017Baku: 'Armenian leadership had better read UNSC resolutions on Karabakh'
- 19.10.2017Foreign Ministry: Issue of American showman’s visit to Nagorno-Karabakh under investigation
- 18.10.2017Armenians attempt provocation at int’l festival in Sochi
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani State Commission informed of Shahbaz Guliyev’s relocation to Yerevan and return
- 17.10.2017OSCE Chairmanship welcomes fresh commitment by Presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 17.10.2017Novruz Mammadov: Sargsyan does not want to give up his habit of derailing talks
- 17.10.2017UN Secretary General welcomes summit between Presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 16.10.2017Sargsyan: We agreed to take measures to further reduce tension on front line
- 16.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs will hold working sessions with Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs in near future
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents hold one-on meeting in Geneva
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents meet in Geneva
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet today
- 15.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 112 times
- 12.10.2017Meeting between the presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia to be held in Geneva next week
- 12.10.2017OSCE monitors border area between Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 11.10.2017Armenian soldier killed in retaliation by Azerbaijani army
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s attempts to disrupt Karabakh talks failed - UPDATED
- 08.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 87 times
- 07.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs arrives in Baku
- 06.10.2017Book “Children – Innocent Victims of War” published in Azerbaijan
- 06.10.2017Ziyafat Asgarov: If separatism in Karabakh had been prevented earlier, there would not be Kurdish, Catalan crises
- 06.10.2017Organization of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents’ meeting discussed in Yerevan
- 06.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs meet with Armenian FM
- 06.10.2017Georgian Parl’t: No real int’l mediation for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 06.10.2017EU supports efforts towards Nagorno Karabakh conflict settlement
- 05.10.2017Armenians appeal to Russian Investigative Committee over historian Kuznetsov’s interviews to APA Information Agency
- 05.10.2017Armenian media distorts Czech Senate president’s remarks about Azerbaijan
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia’s actions contradict basic principles of Christianity
- 05.10.2017US co-chair of OSCE MG visits Nagorno Karabakh
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijani President: "The absence of pressure on the aggressor at the international level is one of the reasons for the unresolved conflict"
- 04.10.2017FM Mammadyarov: Karabakh conflict must be resolved only within Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 04.10.2017Moscow does not rule out discussion of Karabakh conflict at CIS FMs’ meeting in Sochi
- 04.10.2017Azerbaijani FM: Armenia failed to fulfill commitment on Karabakh settlement since accession to Council of Europe
- 04.10.2017Turkey urges citizens not to travel to occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 03.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to arrive in Baku on Oct. 7
- 03.10.2017Ukraine committed to supporting Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity – FM
- 21.02.2017Pakistan sent no observers for so-called referendum in Karabakh: Foreign Ministry
- 21.02.2017CMO chairman: Armenia’s atrocities started to be assessed after Heydar Aliyev’s return to power
- 21.02.2017Pope representative: Khojaly genocide ‘biggest injustice against humanity’
- 21.02.2017Mosque to be built in liberated Azerbaijani village
- 21.02.2017US congressman issues proclamation on 1992 Khojaly Massacre against Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2017Azerbaijan: No country or int’l organization sent observation mission for “referendum” in Karabakh