Heads of Azerbaijan's religious confessions appeal to int’l organizations, ECHR
The head of Azerbaijan's religious confessions have adopted an appeal to the world's religious leaders, parliaments, international organizations and the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) in connection with the 25th commemoration of the Khojaly Genocide.
The appeal was signed by the Chairman of the Caucasian Muslims Office Sheikh-ul Islam Allahshukur Pashazade; the Archbishop of Baku and Azerbaijan Alexandr; the Head of the Community of Mountain Jews in Azerbaijan Melih Yevdayev; The Head of the Albanian-Udi Christian Community in Azerbaijan Robert Mobili.
APA presents the appeal
“On the eve of the 25th commemoration of the Genocide committed against the town of Khojaly, located in Karabakh, Azerbaijan, we reiterate our appeal to the entire International Community, irrespective of religion, language, race or nationality.
The Historical fact evidences that on the night of February 25th to 26th, 1992, the Armenian invaders, supported by their protectors, attacked suddenly the town of Khojaly and committed ruthless massacre of peaceful unarmed civilians. That night, the armed Armenian bandits brutally killed 613 people, among them the elderly, the children, and the pregnant women. Khojaly was razed to ground, 150 persons were missing, 1275 people captured to be severely tortured, unthinkable outrage was committed on the bodies of brutally murdered people.
At its core, the Khojaly tragedy is on a par with the Holocaust, Guernica and Katlyn genocides. As result of Armenian aggression, Azerbaijani people were subjected to ethnic cleansing, physical and moral terror in their own homeland. Armenian extremists occupied 20 per cent of our territories, banished more than one million of our compatriots from their native home places, and destroyed our historical, religious and cultural monuments and relics, committing acts of vandalism in the occupied Karabakh lands. The intentional act of genocide committed in Khojaly became culmination point of Armenian atrocities.
Although 25 years have passed, the crimes of Armenian terrorists remain unpunished, and the four well-known UN Security Council resolutions unimplemented. Despite objective approach of a number of Countries in the World and International Organizations to reiterated appeals of Azerbaijan to the International Community and acknowledgement of genocide in Khojaly by them, unfortunately, there also are those who neglect this horrific crime.
At the heart of acts of violence, terror and extremism, committed in the World today, are double standards and dangerous trends of racism, anti-Semitism, xenophobia and Islamophobia, which appear in approach of some states, organizations and religious leaders to the existing problems. As long as acts of genocide, including the Khojaly tragedy, will remain without an adequate assessment because such an approach, this will provoke new humanitarian disasters, crimes against humankind, and create grounds for further acts of genocide, terrorism, extremism and separatism over the World.
Dismissive approach towards this aggression against Azerbaijan, the subsequent problem of one million refugees and displaced people, and impunity of Armenian extremists after the banishment of our compatriots from their own homes, is encouraging the Armenian side not only to continue their provocations, but also to capture our compatriots, who pay visits to the graves of their relatives, resting in their home lands, to torture them inhumanly, even to ignore the requirements of the International Conventions on the return of the bodies of the killed persons.
We, the leaders of the various religious faiths, living in Azerbaijan, believe that the territorial integrity of our Country will be certainly restored with the efforts, led by the Supreme Commander of Azerbaijan, and we offer up our prayers for that. We greatly honor the blessed memory of those who lost their lives in the name of liberation of Karabakh, and those who died martyrs in Khojaly. Each of us, who wants peace, happiness, security and prosperity for the peoples of the World, has a sacred duty to the Almighty Creator, in the name of Conscience and in the name of Humanity - to achieve Justice.
Appealing once again to the Religious Leaders, Parliaments, International Organizations and the European Court of Human Rights, we call them to give a principled political and legal assessment of the aggression and the acts of atrocities committed by Armenian extremists against the Azerbaijani people, to recognize the crimes committed in Khojaly as Genocide.”
Related news releases
- 23.03.2017Azerbaijan’s military leadership visits frontline
- 23.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 22.03.2017Armenian armed forces holding military exercises in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 21.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 143 times
- 19.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 136 times
- 18.03.2017Armenia lost hopes and lives with depression – Azerbaijani president
- 18.03.2017Colombian Senate passes decision on 25th anniversary of Khojaly genocide
- 17.03.2017Ex-presidents express support for Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 17.03.2017Cultural worker from Ukraine joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 17.03.2017PM: April battles – a victorious page of Azerbaijan’s military history
- 17.03.2017Kwasniewski: No chance of progress in Karabakh talks without implementation of UN resolutions
- 17.03.2017Former Kyrgyz PM comments on country’s refusal to sign ECO declaration
- 16.03.2017Moscow says nothing hidden in Karabakh talks
- 16.03.2017Russian political analyst joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 16.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Change in status quo means liberation of occupied Azerbaijan lands
- 15.03.2017PACE members meet with IDPs
- 15.03.2017Putin: Russia continues to assist in resolving Karabakh conflict
- 15.03.2017French president urges progress towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.03.2017Georgian professor joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 15.03.2017Books by Lithuanian authors on Armenian aggression presented in Baku
- 15.03.2017Khalaf Khalafov: Armenia encourages relocation of Syrian and Lebanese Armenians to occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 15.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity cannot be negotiated
- 15.03.2017French President: “The existing status quo in Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is unacceptable”
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijani President: “For the first stage, negotiations should be resumed as soon as possible”
- 14.03.2017Int’l conference on Karabakh conflict underway in Baku
- 14.03.2017Ilham Aliyev urges foreign companies to avoid illegal activity in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 14.03.2017Russian journalist: Majority of Karabakh Armenians were forcibly “armenianized”
- 14.03.2017“If war erupts in Karabakh, Russia, Georgia and Turkey will be involved in it”
- 14.03.2017Int’l conference on Karabakh conflict kicks off in Baku
- 14.03.2017German MPs adopt Declaration on Khojaly Massacre
- 14.03.2017Russian political analyst calls for Khojaly Genocide recognition
- 14.03.2017Armenian-born researcher: Positive solution to Karabakh conflict is near
- 13.03.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian MPs planned to be held in French Senate
- 13.03.2017France respects Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity, says senator
- 13.03.2017French senator calls for restoration of Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 13.03.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform expresses support for OSCE MG American co-chair
- 12.03.2017Azerbaijani army carries out artillery strike on Armenian strongpoint - VİDEO
- 12.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 118 times
- 11.03.2017US co-chair: Nagorno Karabakh problem differs from other conflicts in post-Soviet space
- 21.02.2017Pakistan sent no observers for so-called referendum in Karabakh: Foreign Ministry
- 21.02.2017CMO chairman: Armenia’s atrocities started to be assessed after Heydar Aliyev’s return to power
- 21.02.2017Pope representative: Khojaly genocide ‘biggest injustice against humanity’
- 21.02.2017Mosque to be built in liberated Azerbaijani village
- 21.02.2017US congressman issues proclamation on 1992 Khojaly Massacre against Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2017Azerbaijan: No country or int’l organization sent observation mission for “referendum” in Karabakh