Heads of Azerbaijan's religious confessions appeal to int’l organizations, ECHR
The head of Azerbaijan's religious confessions have adopted an appeal to the world's religious leaders, parliaments, international organizations and the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) in connection with the 25th commemoration of the Khojaly Genocide.
The appeal was signed by the Chairman of the Caucasian Muslims Office Sheikh-ul Islam Allahshukur Pashazade; the Archbishop of Baku and Azerbaijan Alexandr; the Head of the Community of Mountain Jews in Azerbaijan Melih Yevdayev; The Head of the Albanian-Udi Christian Community in Azerbaijan Robert Mobili.
APA presents the appeal
“On the eve of the 25th commemoration of the Genocide committed against the town of Khojaly, located in Karabakh, Azerbaijan, we reiterate our appeal to the entire International Community, irrespective of religion, language, race or nationality.
The Historical fact evidences that on the night of February 25th to 26th, 1992, the Armenian invaders, supported by their protectors, attacked suddenly the town of Khojaly and committed ruthless massacre of peaceful unarmed civilians. That night, the armed Armenian bandits brutally killed 613 people, among them the elderly, the children, and the pregnant women. Khojaly was razed to ground, 150 persons were missing, 1275 people captured to be severely tortured, unthinkable outrage was committed on the bodies of brutally murdered people.
At its core, the Khojaly tragedy is on a par with the Holocaust, Guernica and Katlyn genocides. As result of Armenian aggression, Azerbaijani people were subjected to ethnic cleansing, physical and moral terror in their own homeland. Armenian extremists occupied 20 per cent of our territories, banished more than one million of our compatriots from their native home places, and destroyed our historical, religious and cultural monuments and relics, committing acts of vandalism in the occupied Karabakh lands. The intentional act of genocide committed in Khojaly became culmination point of Armenian atrocities.
Although 25 years have passed, the crimes of Armenian terrorists remain unpunished, and the four well-known UN Security Council resolutions unimplemented. Despite objective approach of a number of Countries in the World and International Organizations to reiterated appeals of Azerbaijan to the International Community and acknowledgement of genocide in Khojaly by them, unfortunately, there also are those who neglect this horrific crime.
At the heart of acts of violence, terror and extremism, committed in the World today, are double standards and dangerous trends of racism, anti-Semitism, xenophobia and Islamophobia, which appear in approach of some states, organizations and religious leaders to the existing problems. As long as acts of genocide, including the Khojaly tragedy, will remain without an adequate assessment because such an approach, this will provoke new humanitarian disasters, crimes against humankind, and create grounds for further acts of genocide, terrorism, extremism and separatism over the World.
Dismissive approach towards this aggression against Azerbaijan, the subsequent problem of one million refugees and displaced people, and impunity of Armenian extremists after the banishment of our compatriots from their own homes, is encouraging the Armenian side not only to continue their provocations, but also to capture our compatriots, who pay visits to the graves of their relatives, resting in their home lands, to torture them inhumanly, even to ignore the requirements of the International Conventions on the return of the bodies of the killed persons.
We, the leaders of the various religious faiths, living in Azerbaijan, believe that the territorial integrity of our Country will be certainly restored with the efforts, led by the Supreme Commander of Azerbaijan, and we offer up our prayers for that. We greatly honor the blessed memory of those who lost their lives in the name of liberation of Karabakh, and those who died martyrs in Khojaly. Each of us, who wants peace, happiness, security and prosperity for the peoples of the World, has a sacred duty to the Almighty Creator, in the name of Conscience and in the name of Humanity - to achieve Justice.
Appealing once again to the Religious Leaders, Parliaments, International Organizations and the European Court of Human Rights, we call them to give a principled political and legal assessment of the aggression and the acts of atrocities committed by Armenian extremists against the Azerbaijani people, to recognize the crimes committed in Khojaly as Genocide.”
Related news releases
- 17.08.2017Russia says Karabakh settlement among its ‘foreign policy priorities’
- 16.08.2017Richard Hoagland: We hope Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents will soon resume direct negotiations
- 13.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 136 times
- 12.08.2017Armenia shatters ceasefire 132 times
- 11.08.2017Richard Hoagland: Time has come for conflict parties to take steps to boost confidence
- 11.08.2017Co-chair: I hope that during next summit presidents will announce certain steps
- 11.08.2017Armenians again set fire to Azerbaijan's occupied territories
- 09.08.2017Azerbaijani Ombudsperson calls on int’l organizations over latest Armenian provocation
- 09.08.2017No incident during OSCE monitoring on contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 09.08.2017Andrzej Kasprzyk meets with head of Aghdam executive authority
- 08.08.2017Defence Ministry: One of members of enemy sabotage group was killed
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijani state committee issues statement on latest Armenian provocation
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijani MFA: Left unpunished, Armenia dares to target civilians, civil facilities
- 08.08.2017Armenians shelled village in Tovuz, 13-year-old boy injured
- 07.08.2017Iranian MFA: Karabakh talks should be continued
- 07.08.2017Draft resolution titled ‘The situation in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan’ put on agenda of UN General Assembly session
- 06.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 146 times
- 02.08.2017Armenian soldier detained for attempting to sell power supply of ‘Igla’ missile
- 30.07.2017Armed forces of Armenia fired at the settlements of Gazakh, Agstafa and Tovuz regions
- 30.07.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 140 times
- 28.07.2017Co-coordinators of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform meet with French writer
- 27.07.2017Azerbaijan Department of "The House of Friendship" in Volgograd joins Peace Platform
- 26.07.2017Azerbaijani foreign ministry, defense ministry issue joint statement
- 25.07.2017Armenia once again used combat UAVs
- 24.07.2017Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia 'uninterested' in negotiated resolution of Karabakh conflict
- 23.07.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 23.07.201724 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Aghdam district by Armenia
- 20.07.2017U.S. Department of State: The U.S. we will not accept the results of the so-called elections in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijan says UN support for substantive talks on Karabakh settlement ‘highly appreciated’
- 20.07.2017Moscow: Place of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents’ meeting not determined
- 19.07.2017Armenian soldier wounded in landmine explosion
- 19.07.2017Armenians set fire to Azerbaijan’s occupied territories
- 19.07.2017Lukashevich: Co-chairs are not wizards, they cannot ensure desired level of security in region
- 19.07.2017Lapshin’s final statement: I feel sorry about what happened
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijan says use of water resources as a means of eco terror and pressure is state policy in Armenia
- 19.07.2017Lukashevich: OSCE MG co-chairs prepare for meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs in New York
- 19.07.2017Turkey urges Armenia to stop military provocations against Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijani FM: Specific plan should be discussed for settling Karabakh conflict
- 17.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity supported by whole world
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan says holding illegal presidential election in Nagorno-Karabakh is ‘ridiculous’
- 21.02.2017Pakistan sent no observers for so-called referendum in Karabakh: Foreign Ministry
- 21.02.2017CMO chairman: Armenia’s atrocities started to be assessed after Heydar Aliyev’s return to power
- 21.02.2017Pope representative: Khojaly genocide ‘biggest injustice against humanity’
- 21.02.2017Mosque to be built in liberated Azerbaijani village
- 21.02.2017US congressman issues proclamation on 1992 Khojaly Massacre against Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2017Azerbaijan: No country or int’l organization sent observation mission for “referendum” in Karabakh