Germany’s Social Democratic Party, Germany–South Caucasus parliamentary group issue statements on Khojaly Genocide
Germany’s Social Democratic Party (SPD) has issued a statement commemorating the 25th anniversary of the Khojaly genocide.
“On the night to 26 February 1992, Armenian armed forces captured the town of Khojaly, killing hundreds of Azerbaijani civilians including women and children,” read the statement posted on the party’s website, APA reported.
“According to Human Rights Watch, this was the worst massacre seen during the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. Despite the OSCE Minsk Group making efforts to find a peaceful solution to the conflict since 1992, all the attempts to change the status quo have been failing so far,” said the statement. “The conflict is hindering the region’s development and stability. As the Social Democratic Party’s faction in the Bundestag, we want Germany to be a reliable partner for both Armenia and Azerbaijan.”
The Social Democrats said a lasting solution to the conflict is possible only through peaceful means, expressing their confidence that the commemoration of Khojaly genocide victims is an opportunity to take a step towards peace and reconciliation.
“The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict should not be forgotten. A peaceful settlement of the conflict would lead to emergence of positive economic and social impulses in the region. Stability in the South Caucasus is of great interest for Germany and Europe as a whole,” said the statement.
At the same time, Chair of the Germany–South Caucasus Parliamentary Friendship Group at Bundestag Karin Strenz issued a statement condemning the Khojaly genocide.
“The German Bundestag sees peace as a main condition for Europe's stability. A major step towards the settlement of the conflict is an expression of regret and remorse over the inhuman acts committed in Khojaly. This would be an important step towards the restoration of peace in the South Caucasus,” Strenz noted.
On February 25-26, 1992, Armenia’s armed forces, together with the 366th infantry regiment of Soviet troops, stationed in Khankendi, committed an act of genocide against the population of the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly.
As many as 613 people, including 63 children, 106 women and 70 old people were killed as a result of the massacre. A total of 1,000 civilians became disabled in the onslaught. Eight families were completely annihilated, 130 children lost one parent, while 25 lost both parents. Some 1,275 innocent residents were taken hostage, while the fate of 150 people (68 women, 26 children) still remains unknown.
Related news releases
- 17.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 119 times
- 16.12.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.12.2017Turkey: Armenia must be held accountable for crimes in Azerbaijan’s Khojaly
- 14.12.2017ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijani serviceman killed in Armenian ceasefire violation
- 13.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia, which destroyed sacred mosques, cannot be a friend of Muslim countries
- 12.12.2017France ambassador to Armenia: Karabakh conflict not “frozen”
- 11.12.2017Lukashevich: 2017 best remembered for resumption of Karabakh peace talks
- 11.12.2017Foreign diplomats hail work done in Azerbaijan to improve IDPs’ living conditions – Hikmat Hajiyev
- 11.12.2017American researcher: Territorial integrity, sovereignty of states must be respected
- 11.12.2017France will continue to work towards Karabakh conflict settlement – envoy
- 11.12.2017Foreign diplomats in Azerbaijan, journalists, heads of int’l organizations visit Tartar district
- 10.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 115 times
- 09.12.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.12.2017Armenian army opens fire at village in Azerbaijan’s Aghdam
- 08.12.2017Lavrov: Work underway to increase number of OSCE observers for Karabakh conflict
- 08.12.2017Direct dialogue over Karabakh settlement doesn’t produce any visible progress, says Russian FM
- 08.12.2017Lavrov: December 7 statement affirms principles for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 07.12.2017Elmar Mammadyarov: “Certain forces in the region are not interested in changing status-quo”
- 07.12.2017Co-chair countries issue joint statement on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 07.12.2017Baku supports dialogue between Armenian and Azerbaijani communities of Nagorno-Karabakh
- 07.12.2017Ukrainian FM calls for increased efforts to settle conflicts on territories of Azerbaijan, Georgia and Moldova
- 07.12.2017U.S. supports Minsk Group efforts to find solution to Karabakh conflict – Tillerson
- 07.12.2017OSCE PA President: Increasingly intense hostilities in Nagorno-Karabakh cause deep concern
- 07.12.2017Foreign Ministry: Next meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian Foreign Ministers in January
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani FM meets OSCE MG Co-Chairs in Vienna
- 06.12.2017Armenian FM meets OSCE MG co-chairs in Vienna
- 06.12.2017European Court of Human Rights to deliver new judgment in case of Chiragov and others v. Armenia
- 06.12.2017Armenia conducts military exercises in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijani parl’t deputy speaker highlights illicit drug trafficking in Nagorno-Karabakh at int’l conference in Moscow
- 03.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 126 times
- 01.12.2017Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,700 times in November
- 01.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Status quo in Karabakh conflict must be changed
- 30.11.2017ANAMA carries out cleaning in area selected for new irrigation canal in Jabrayil district
- 30.11.2017Historian Kuznetsov: Threat of ‘Armenian terrorism’ on the rise in Russia
- 30.11.2017Cavusoglu: Turkey continues efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 29.11.2017Turkish FM meets with OSCE MG co-chairs in Ankara
- 29.11.2017FM: Costa Rica supports peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 29.11.2017Armenia again launches military exercises in Azerbaijan’s occupied lands
- 28.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: EaP summit declaration reaffirms support for territorial integrity of member countries
- 27.02.2017ICRC: Dead bodies of soldiers collected from battlefield
- 27.02.2017Khojaly Genocide hashtag among Top 5 on Twitter
- 27.02.2017NATO Secretary-General calls on Baku and Yerevan to resume negotiations for settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 27.02.2017Tusk: No military solution to Karabakh conflict
- 27.02.2017Polish lawmaker joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 27.02.2017Turkish PM: Khojaly massacre – a common grief of Turks