French senator calls for restoration of Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict must be resolved peacefully and the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan must be restored, said André Reichardt, president of the France-Caucasus Friendship Group in the French Senate.
A meeting was held Monday at the Azerbaijani Parliament with members of the France-Caucasus Friendship Group.
Participating in the meeting were Azerbaijani MPs Javanshir Feyziyev and Samad Seyidov, and from the French side, André Reichardt and Friendship Group member Nathalie Goulet, and others, the parliament told APA.
Addressing the meeting, Reichardt said that France realizes that the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the worst problem faced by Azerbaijan.
“We, as well as everyone sitting here, are already sufficiently informed about it. Since we know Azerbaijan better, we’ll offer our support to Azerbaijan’s cause of justice,” he said.
Azerbaijani lands are under occupation, said the French senator, calling for a peaceful solution to the conflict, the liberation of the occupied Azerbaijani territories and the restoration of Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity.
“Azerbaijan must regain control of its lands. The incidents that we witnessed in April of last year gave the signal that the concern had already reached its peak. We’re ready to make our own contributions to resolving the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict,” added the senator.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 23.03.2017Azerbaijan’s military leadership visits frontline
- 23.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 22.03.2017Armenian armed forces holding military exercises in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 21.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 143 times
- 19.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 136 times
- 18.03.2017Armenia lost hopes and lives with depression – Azerbaijani president
- 18.03.2017Colombian Senate passes decision on 25th anniversary of Khojaly genocide
- 17.03.2017Ex-presidents express support for Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 17.03.2017Cultural worker from Ukraine joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 17.03.2017PM: April battles – a victorious page of Azerbaijan’s military history
- 17.03.2017Kwasniewski: No chance of progress in Karabakh talks without implementation of UN resolutions
- 17.03.2017Former Kyrgyz PM comments on country’s refusal to sign ECO declaration
- 16.03.2017Moscow says nothing hidden in Karabakh talks
- 16.03.2017Russian political analyst joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 16.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Change in status quo means liberation of occupied Azerbaijan lands
- 15.03.2017PACE members meet with IDPs
- 15.03.2017Putin: Russia continues to assist in resolving Karabakh conflict
- 15.03.2017French president urges progress towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.03.2017Georgian professor joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 15.03.2017Books by Lithuanian authors on Armenian aggression presented in Baku
- 15.03.2017Khalaf Khalafov: Armenia encourages relocation of Syrian and Lebanese Armenians to occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 15.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity cannot be negotiated
- 15.03.2017French President: “The existing status quo in Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is unacceptable”
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijani President: “For the first stage, negotiations should be resumed as soon as possible”
- 14.03.2017Int’l conference on Karabakh conflict underway in Baku
- 14.03.2017Ilham Aliyev urges foreign companies to avoid illegal activity in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 14.03.2017Russian journalist: Majority of Karabakh Armenians were forcibly “armenianized”
- 14.03.2017“If war erupts in Karabakh, Russia, Georgia and Turkey will be involved in it”
- 14.03.2017Int’l conference on Karabakh conflict kicks off in Baku
- 14.03.2017German MPs adopt Declaration on Khojaly Massacre
- 14.03.2017Russian political analyst calls for Khojaly Genocide recognition
- 11.03.2017US co-chair: Nagorno Karabakh problem differs from other conflicts in post-Soviet space
- 11.03.2017Richard Hoagland: We will check Armenian leadership’s political will next week
- 11.03.2017Hoagland: Russia's playing leading role in negotiation process is natural
- 11.03.2017US co-chair: It is necessary to return to negotiations table at highest level
- 11.03.2017French co-chair: Sides are willing to make progress
- 11.03.2017Vienna and St. Petersburg agreements should be implemented – Russian co-chair
- 10.03.2017Erdogan calls for immediate steps to resolve Karabakh conflict
- 10.03.2017US co-chair of OSCE Minsk Group arrives in Azerbaijan
- 13.03.2017France respects Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity, says senator
- 13.03.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian MPs planned to be held in French Senate
- 14.03.2017Armenian-born researcher: Positive solution to Karabakh conflict is near
- 13.03.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform expresses support for OSCE MG American co-chair
- 12.03.2017Azerbaijani army carries out artillery strike on Armenian strongpoint - VİDEO
- 12.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 118 times