French lawyer initiates Khojaly Genocide petition
French lawyer Olivier Pardo has initiated a Change.org petition for the recognition of the Khojaly Genocide by the French government and international organizations.
The petition has already been signed by 8,000 people, APA reported.
The petition mentions the fact that a total of 613 people including 106 women, 63 children and 70 elderly people were killed by Armenians in the Khojaly town in Azerbaijan’s Nagorno-Karabakh region on 26 February 1992. The petition also notes that 1,275 residents were taken hostage and the fate of 150 people still remain unknown.
The petition expresses regret that the French are less informed of this tragedy.
“As a traditional defender of human rights and a country that puts much emphasis on the recognition of war crimes and crimes against humanity, France must not hold a different position with regard to this genocide,” he said.
On February 25-26, 1992, Armenia’s armed forces, together with the 366th infantry regiment of Soviet troops, stationed in Khankendi, committed an act of genocide against the population of the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly.
As many as 613 people, including 63 children, 106 women and 70 old people were killed as a result of the massacre. A total of 1,000 civilians became disabled in the onslaught. Eight families were completely annihilated, 130 children lost one parent, while 25 lost both parents. Some 1,275 innocent residents were taken hostage, while the fate of 150 people (68 women, 26 children) still remains unknown.
Related news releases
- 25.06.2017Armenians violate ceasefire with Azerbaijan 148 times
- 24.06.2017Erdogan: "Turkey and Azerbaijan are on the same position on Karabakh issue"
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijani army adequately retaliated against enemy a week ago – President
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Int’l community recognizes Nagorno-Karabakh as an integral part of Azerbaijan
- 23.06.2017EU: Ceasefire violations indicate status quo in Karabak conflict ‘unsustainable’
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijan’s refugee and IDP pain highlighted in the French Senate
- 22.06.2017Moscow says OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs’ latest statement fully reflects its stance
- 22.06.2017MFA spokesman: OSCE MG co-chairs should draw conclusions from public discontent in Azerbaijan
- 22.06.2017ICRC begins dialogue with parties on Armenian scout captured by Azerbaijan
- 21.06.2017U.S. Department of State: "The United States is deeply concerned over the recent violations of the ceasefire"
- 21.06.2017ICRC visits Azerbaijani detainees in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijan removes Japanese blogger from ‘black list’
- 21.06.2017Stark reminders of Azerbaijan’s IDP plight come to Brussels
- 21.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 125 times
- 20.06.2017EU envoy expresses concern over situation in South Caucasus
- 20.06.2017Minister: There can’t be an influx of tourists to occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijani deputy PM: Some Muslim countries still provide assistance to Armenia
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijani deputy PM criticizes OSCE MG co-chairs for failing to settle Karabakh conflict
- 19.06.2017Co-chairs to brief Minsk Group members on Karabakh settlement process
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijani FM: Armenia pursues goal of undermining Karabakh settlement process
- 19.06.2017OSCE MG co-chairs issue statement after their visit to region
- 19.06.2017Ali Hasanov: Most int’l organizations recognize occupation of Azerbaijani territories
- 19.06.2017Status quo in Karabakh conflict must be changed: German envoy
- 19.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia tries to interfere with OSCE MG co-chairs’ activities
- 19.06.2017Popov expresses regret over recent ceasefire violations on contact line
- 19.06.2017Popov: Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents stand for continuation of peace talks
- 19.06.2017Popov: Minsk Group co-chairs’ latest statement addressed to both sides
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijani official accuses Armenia of continued provocations
- 19.06.2017Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijan will never give up principle of territorial integrity
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijani defense minister meets with OSCE MG co-chairs
- 19.06.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to start visit to Azerbaijan today
- 18.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan using mortars
- 17.06.2017Azerbaijani FM: Responsibility for escalation of situation in front entirely falls on Armenia
- 17.06.2017Another Armenian soldier killed on frontline
- 17.06.2017Two Armenian soldiers wounded in Nagorno Karabakh
- 16.06.2017Three Armenian soldiers violating ceasefire killed
- 16.06.2017IDP plight highlighted for new Westminster Parliament
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijani FM: Armenia’s policy aimed at maintaining status-quo hinders progress in Karabakh talks
- 16.06.2017Bryza: War is in interests of neither Azerbaijan nor Armenia
- 16.06.2017Ex-US ambassador: Armenia should withdraw from occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 02.03.2017ECO: Karabakh conflict hinders region’s economic growth
- 02.03.2017Vogue embraces the Leonie Mergen Karabakh-Collection
- 03.03.2017Mard: Status quo in Karabakh conflict – unsustainable
- 02.03.2017Doctor of Historical Sciences Inanj Atilgan joins to Armenia Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 02.03.2017US envoy: Karabakh conflict settlement to bring stability, prosperity to Azerbaijan and region
- 02.03.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform meets with EU Delegation to Azerbaijan