French lawyer initiates Khojaly Genocide petition
French lawyer Olivier Pardo has initiated a Change.org petition for the recognition of the Khojaly Genocide by the French government and international organizations.
The petition has already been signed by 8,000 people, APA reported.
The petition mentions the fact that a total of 613 people including 106 women, 63 children and 70 elderly people were killed by Armenians in the Khojaly town in Azerbaijan’s Nagorno-Karabakh region on 26 February 1992. The petition also notes that 1,275 residents were taken hostage and the fate of 150 people still remain unknown.
The petition expresses regret that the French are less informed of this tragedy.
“As a traditional defender of human rights and a country that puts much emphasis on the recognition of war crimes and crimes against humanity, France must not hold a different position with regard to this genocide,” he said.
On February 25-26, 1992, Armenia’s armed forces, together with the 366th infantry regiment of Soviet troops, stationed in Khankendi, committed an act of genocide against the population of the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly.
As many as 613 people, including 63 children, 106 women and 70 old people were killed as a result of the massacre. A total of 1,000 civilians became disabled in the onslaught. Eight families were completely annihilated, 130 children lost one parent, while 25 lost both parents. Some 1,275 innocent residents were taken hostage, while the fate of 150 people (68 women, 26 children) still remains unknown.
Related news releases
- 23.03.2017Azerbaijan’s military leadership visits frontline
- 23.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 22.03.2017Armenian armed forces holding military exercises in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 21.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 143 times
- 19.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 136 times
- 18.03.2017Armenia lost hopes and lives with depression – Azerbaijani president
- 18.03.2017Colombian Senate passes decision on 25th anniversary of Khojaly genocide
- 17.03.2017Ex-presidents express support for Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 17.03.2017Cultural worker from Ukraine joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 17.03.2017PM: April battles – a victorious page of Azerbaijan’s military history
- 17.03.2017Kwasniewski: No chance of progress in Karabakh talks without implementation of UN resolutions
- 17.03.2017Former Kyrgyz PM comments on country’s refusal to sign ECO declaration
- 16.03.2017Moscow says nothing hidden in Karabakh talks
- 16.03.2017Russian political analyst joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 16.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Change in status quo means liberation of occupied Azerbaijan lands
- 15.03.2017PACE members meet with IDPs
- 15.03.2017Putin: Russia continues to assist in resolving Karabakh conflict
- 15.03.2017French president urges progress towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.03.2017Georgian professor joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 15.03.2017Books by Lithuanian authors on Armenian aggression presented in Baku
- 15.03.2017Khalaf Khalafov: Armenia encourages relocation of Syrian and Lebanese Armenians to occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 15.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity cannot be negotiated
- 15.03.2017French President: “The existing status quo in Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is unacceptable”
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijani President: “For the first stage, negotiations should be resumed as soon as possible”
- 14.03.2017Int’l conference on Karabakh conflict underway in Baku
- 14.03.2017Ilham Aliyev urges foreign companies to avoid illegal activity in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 14.03.2017Russian journalist: Majority of Karabakh Armenians were forcibly “armenianized”
- 14.03.2017“If war erupts in Karabakh, Russia, Georgia and Turkey will be involved in it”
- 14.03.2017Int’l conference on Karabakh conflict kicks off in Baku
- 14.03.2017German MPs adopt Declaration on Khojaly Massacre
- 14.03.2017Russian political analyst calls for Khojaly Genocide recognition
- 14.03.2017Armenian-born researcher: Positive solution to Karabakh conflict is near
- 13.03.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian MPs planned to be held in French Senate
- 13.03.2017France respects Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity, says senator
- 13.03.2017French senator calls for restoration of Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 13.03.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform expresses support for OSCE MG American co-chair
- 12.03.2017Azerbaijani army carries out artillery strike on Armenian strongpoint - VİDEO
- 12.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 118 times
- 11.03.2017US co-chair: Nagorno Karabakh problem differs from other conflicts in post-Soviet space
- 02.03.2017ECO: Karabakh conflict hinders region’s economic growth
- 02.03.2017Vogue embraces the Leonie Mergen Karabakh-Collection
- 03.03.2017Mard: Status quo in Karabakh conflict – unsustainable
- 02.03.2017Doctor of Historical Sciences Inanj Atilgan joins to Armenia Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 02.03.2017US envoy: Karabakh conflict settlement to bring stability, prosperity to Azerbaijan and region
- 02.03.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform meets with EU Delegation to Azerbaijan