French lawyer initiates Khojaly Genocide petition
French lawyer Olivier Pardo has initiated a Change.org petition for the recognition of the Khojaly Genocide by the French government and international organizations.
The petition has already been signed by 8,000 people, APA reported.
The petition mentions the fact that a total of 613 people including 106 women, 63 children and 70 elderly people were killed by Armenians in the Khojaly town in Azerbaijan’s Nagorno-Karabakh region on 26 February 1992. The petition also notes that 1,275 residents were taken hostage and the fate of 150 people still remain unknown.
The petition expresses regret that the French are less informed of this tragedy.
“As a traditional defender of human rights and a country that puts much emphasis on the recognition of war crimes and crimes against humanity, France must not hold a different position with regard to this genocide,” he said.
On February 25-26, 1992, Armenia’s armed forces, together with the 366th infantry regiment of Soviet troops, stationed in Khankendi, committed an act of genocide against the population of the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly.
As many as 613 people, including 63 children, 106 women and 70 old people were killed as a result of the massacre. A total of 1,000 civilians became disabled in the onslaught. Eight families were completely annihilated, 130 children lost one parent, while 25 lost both parents. Some 1,275 innocent residents were taken hostage, while the fate of 150 people (68 women, 26 children) still remains unknown.
Related news releases
- 17.08.2017Russia says Karabakh settlement among its ‘foreign policy priorities’
- 16.08.2017Richard Hoagland: We hope Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents will soon resume direct negotiations
- 13.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 136 times
- 12.08.2017Armenia shatters ceasefire 132 times
- 11.08.2017Richard Hoagland: Time has come for conflict parties to take steps to boost confidence
- 11.08.2017Co-chair: I hope that during next summit presidents will announce certain steps
- 11.08.2017Armenians again set fire to Azerbaijan's occupied territories
- 09.08.2017Azerbaijani Ombudsperson calls on int’l organizations over latest Armenian provocation
- 09.08.2017No incident during OSCE monitoring on contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 09.08.2017Andrzej Kasprzyk meets with head of Aghdam executive authority
- 08.08.2017Defence Ministry: One of members of enemy sabotage group was killed
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijani state committee issues statement on latest Armenian provocation
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijani MFA: Left unpunished, Armenia dares to target civilians, civil facilities
- 08.08.2017Armenians shelled village in Tovuz, 13-year-old boy injured
- 07.08.2017Iranian MFA: Karabakh talks should be continued
- 07.08.2017Draft resolution titled ‘The situation in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan’ put on agenda of UN General Assembly session
- 06.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 146 times
- 02.08.2017Armenian soldier detained for attempting to sell power supply of ‘Igla’ missile
- 30.07.2017Armed forces of Armenia fired at the settlements of Gazakh, Agstafa and Tovuz regions
- 30.07.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 140 times
- 28.07.2017Co-coordinators of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform meet with French writer
- 27.07.2017Azerbaijan Department of "The House of Friendship" in Volgograd joins Peace Platform
- 26.07.2017Azerbaijani foreign ministry, defense ministry issue joint statement
- 25.07.2017Armenia once again used combat UAVs
- 24.07.2017Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia 'uninterested' in negotiated resolution of Karabakh conflict
- 23.07.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 23.07.201724 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Aghdam district by Armenia
- 20.07.2017U.S. Department of State: The U.S. we will not accept the results of the so-called elections in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijan says UN support for substantive talks on Karabakh settlement ‘highly appreciated’
- 20.07.2017Moscow: Place of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents’ meeting not determined
- 19.07.2017Armenian soldier wounded in landmine explosion
- 19.07.2017Armenians set fire to Azerbaijan’s occupied territories
- 19.07.2017Lukashevich: Co-chairs are not wizards, they cannot ensure desired level of security in region
- 19.07.2017Lapshin’s final statement: I feel sorry about what happened
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijan says use of water resources as a means of eco terror and pressure is state policy in Armenia
- 19.07.2017Lukashevich: OSCE MG co-chairs prepare for meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs in New York
- 19.07.2017Turkey urges Armenia to stop military provocations against Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijani FM: Specific plan should be discussed for settling Karabakh conflict
- 17.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity supported by whole world
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan says holding illegal presidential election in Nagorno-Karabakh is ‘ridiculous’
- 02.03.2017ECO: Karabakh conflict hinders region’s economic growth
- 02.03.2017Vogue embraces the Leonie Mergen Karabakh-Collection
- 03.03.2017Mard: Status quo in Karabakh conflict – unsustainable
- 02.03.2017Doctor of Historical Sciences Inanj Atilgan joins to Armenia Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 02.03.2017US envoy: Karabakh conflict settlement to bring stability, prosperity to Azerbaijan and region
- 02.03.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform meets with EU Delegation to Azerbaijan