French lawyer initiates Khojaly Genocide petition
French lawyer Olivier Pardo has initiated a Change.org petition for the recognition of the Khojaly Genocide by the French government and international organizations.
The petition has already been signed by 8,000 people, APA reported.
The petition mentions the fact that a total of 613 people including 106 women, 63 children and 70 elderly people were killed by Armenians in the Khojaly town in Azerbaijan’s Nagorno-Karabakh region on 26 February 1992. The petition also notes that 1,275 residents were taken hostage and the fate of 150 people still remain unknown.
The petition expresses regret that the French are less informed of this tragedy.
“As a traditional defender of human rights and a country that puts much emphasis on the recognition of war crimes and crimes against humanity, France must not hold a different position with regard to this genocide,” he said.
On February 25-26, 1992, Armenia’s armed forces, together with the 366th infantry regiment of Soviet troops, stationed in Khankendi, committed an act of genocide against the population of the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly.
As many as 613 people, including 63 children, 106 women and 70 old people were killed as a result of the massacre. A total of 1,000 civilians became disabled in the onslaught. Eight families were completely annihilated, 130 children lost one parent, while 25 lost both parents. Some 1,275 innocent residents were taken hostage, while the fate of 150 people (68 women, 26 children) still remains unknown.
Related news releases
- 22.03.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 101 times
- 20.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 97 times
- 19.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Large part of present-day Armenia is historical Azerbaijani land
- 18.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 117 times
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani PM: Armenia continues its non-constructive position, tries to protract Karabakh conflict
- 16.03.2018FM: Karabakh talks to be intensified after elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 15.03.2018Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijanis must return to their ancestral lands, Armenians must live there together with them
- 15.03.2018World unwilling to resolve Karabakh problem: Turkey’s ex-FM
- 15.03.2018Turkey, Azerbaijan cooperate on regional issues, counterterrorism – PM
- 15.03.2018Former EU special rep: After me, there’s been no substantial change in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.03.2018Russian MFA comments on US visit of Karabakh separatists’ leader
- 15.03.2018Zakharova: "Artsakh Republic" has no representation in Moscow
- 15.03.2018UK supports OSCE Minsk Group efforts to resolve Karabakh conflict - envoy
- 15.03.2018Status quo in Karabakh conflict ‘unacceptable’ – Azerbaijani president
- 14.03.2018The next ceasefire monitoring exercise will be conducted on the Line of Contact of the armed forces of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 14.03.2018UN, OSCE and all nations recognize Azerbaijan’s fair position on Nagorno-Karabakh issue – Turkish PM
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijan’s damage from Armenian occupation surpasses $818 billion
- 13.03.2018Romania committed to continuous development of partnership with Azerbaijan - MP
- 13.03.2018OSCE PA says there are shortcomings in protracted conflicts
- 12.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 106 times
- 10.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 110 times
- 08.03.2018Azerbaijani Permanent Mission to the OSCE clarifies allegations surfaced in the Armenian media
- 07.03.2018Russian presidential hopeful talks about possible solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 06.03.2018CSTO not to support Karabakh separatists in case of war
- 06.03.2018UNICEF says death of children in ceasefire violations ‘unacceptable’
- 06.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.03.2018FM Mammadyarov: Karabakh peace talks to be intensified after elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 05.03.2018Spanish edition of Los Angeles Times: Armenia has committed genocide against Azerbaijani people in Khojaly
- 04.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 98 times
- 02.03.2018Moscow sees no need for separatist Karabakh regime’s involvement in negotiation process
- 02.03.2018Baku says Nalbandian tries to justify Armenia’s failed foreign policy for internal audience
- 01.03.2018Azerbaijani diplomat responds to Armenian FM’s statement in UN
- 01.03.2018Secretary General: "The UN supports the efforts of the OSCE Minsk Group on the peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 28.02.2018Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,400 times in February
- 27.02.2018Baku sees no alternative to peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict – FM
- 27.02.2018Azerbaijani FM: Those responsible for Khojaly genocide still enjoy impunity
- 27.02.2018Requiem concert dedicated to Khojaly genocide held in Amsterdam
- 02.03.2017ECO: Karabakh conflict hinders region’s economic growth
- 02.03.2017Vogue embraces the Leonie Mergen Karabakh-Collection
- 03.03.2017Mard: Status quo in Karabakh conflict – unsustainable
- 02.03.2017Doctor of Historical Sciences Inanj Atilgan joins to Armenia Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 02.03.2017US envoy: Karabakh conflict settlement to bring stability, prosperity to Azerbaijan and region
- 02.03.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform meets with EU Delegation to Azerbaijan