French lawyer initiates Khojaly Genocide petition
French lawyer Olivier Pardo has initiated a Change.org petition for the recognition of the Khojaly Genocide by the French government and international organizations.
The petition has already been signed by 8,000 people, APA reported.
The petition mentions the fact that a total of 613 people including 106 women, 63 children and 70 elderly people were killed by Armenians in the Khojaly town in Azerbaijan’s Nagorno-Karabakh region on 26 February 1992. The petition also notes that 1,275 residents were taken hostage and the fate of 150 people still remain unknown.
The petition expresses regret that the French are less informed of this tragedy.
“As a traditional defender of human rights and a country that puts much emphasis on the recognition of war crimes and crimes against humanity, France must not hold a different position with regard to this genocide,” he said.
On February 25-26, 1992, Armenia’s armed forces, together with the 366th infantry regiment of Soviet troops, stationed in Khankendi, committed an act of genocide against the population of the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly.
As many as 613 people, including 63 children, 106 women and 70 old people were killed as a result of the massacre. A total of 1,000 civilians became disabled in the onslaught. Eight families were completely annihilated, 130 children lost one parent, while 25 lost both parents. Some 1,275 innocent residents were taken hostage, while the fate of 150 people (68 women, 26 children) still remains unknown.
Related news releases
- 17.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 119 times
- 16.12.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.12.2017Turkey: Armenia must be held accountable for crimes in Azerbaijan’s Khojaly
- 14.12.2017ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijani serviceman killed in Armenian ceasefire violation
- 13.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia, which destroyed sacred mosques, cannot be a friend of Muslim countries
- 12.12.2017France ambassador to Armenia: Karabakh conflict not “frozen”
- 11.12.2017Lukashevich: 2017 best remembered for resumption of Karabakh peace talks
- 11.12.2017Foreign diplomats hail work done in Azerbaijan to improve IDPs’ living conditions – Hikmat Hajiyev
- 11.12.2017American researcher: Territorial integrity, sovereignty of states must be respected
- 11.12.2017France will continue to work towards Karabakh conflict settlement – envoy
- 11.12.2017Foreign diplomats in Azerbaijan, journalists, heads of int’l organizations visit Tartar district
- 10.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 115 times
- 09.12.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.12.2017Armenian army opens fire at village in Azerbaijan’s Aghdam
- 08.12.2017Lavrov: Work underway to increase number of OSCE observers for Karabakh conflict
- 08.12.2017Direct dialogue over Karabakh settlement doesn’t produce any visible progress, says Russian FM
- 08.12.2017Lavrov: December 7 statement affirms principles for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 07.12.2017Elmar Mammadyarov: “Certain forces in the region are not interested in changing status-quo”
- 07.12.2017Co-chair countries issue joint statement on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 07.12.2017Baku supports dialogue between Armenian and Azerbaijani communities of Nagorno-Karabakh
- 07.12.2017Ukrainian FM calls for increased efforts to settle conflicts on territories of Azerbaijan, Georgia and Moldova
- 07.12.2017U.S. supports Minsk Group efforts to find solution to Karabakh conflict – Tillerson
- 07.12.2017OSCE PA President: Increasingly intense hostilities in Nagorno-Karabakh cause deep concern
- 07.12.2017Foreign Ministry: Next meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian Foreign Ministers in January
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani FM meets OSCE MG Co-Chairs in Vienna
- 06.12.2017Armenian FM meets OSCE MG co-chairs in Vienna
- 06.12.2017European Court of Human Rights to deliver new judgment in case of Chiragov and others v. Armenia
- 06.12.2017Armenia conducts military exercises in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijani parl’t deputy speaker highlights illicit drug trafficking in Nagorno-Karabakh at int’l conference in Moscow
- 03.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 126 times
- 01.12.2017Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,700 times in November
- 01.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Status quo in Karabakh conflict must be changed
- 30.11.2017ANAMA carries out cleaning in area selected for new irrigation canal in Jabrayil district
- 30.11.2017Historian Kuznetsov: Threat of ‘Armenian terrorism’ on the rise in Russia
- 30.11.2017Cavusoglu: Turkey continues efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 29.11.2017Turkish FM meets with OSCE MG co-chairs in Ankara
- 29.11.2017FM: Costa Rica supports peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 29.11.2017Armenia again launches military exercises in Azerbaijan’s occupied lands
- 28.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: EaP summit declaration reaffirms support for territorial integrity of member countries
- 28.12.2016Belarus ambassador comments on negotiations to extradite blogger Lapshin to Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2016Austria to do utmost to prevent further escalation in Karabakh conflict zone: OSCE incoming chair
- 29.12.2016Russian ombudsperson pays respect to Khojaly memorial in Baku
- 27.12.2016Russia believes Moscow meeting helped cease April battle in Karabakh
- 27.12.2016Russia to do everything possible to intensify Karabakh conflict settlement process
- 27.12.2016Azerbaijan says Armenia’s illegal actions in occupied lands contrary to int’l law