French lawyer initiates Khojaly Genocide petition
French lawyer Olivier Pardo has initiated a Change.org petition for the recognition of the Khojaly Genocide by the French government and international organizations.
The petition has already been signed by 8,000 people, APA reported.
The petition mentions the fact that a total of 613 people including 106 women, 63 children and 70 elderly people were killed by Armenians in the Khojaly town in Azerbaijan’s Nagorno-Karabakh region on 26 February 1992. The petition also notes that 1,275 residents were taken hostage and the fate of 150 people still remain unknown.
The petition expresses regret that the French are less informed of this tragedy.
“As a traditional defender of human rights and a country that puts much emphasis on the recognition of war crimes and crimes against humanity, France must not hold a different position with regard to this genocide,” he said.
On February 25-26, 1992, Armenia’s armed forces, together with the 366th infantry regiment of Soviet troops, stationed in Khankendi, committed an act of genocide against the population of the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly.
As many as 613 people, including 63 children, 106 women and 70 old people were killed as a result of the massacre. A total of 1,000 civilians became disabled in the onslaught. Eight families were completely annihilated, 130 children lost one parent, while 25 lost both parents. Some 1,275 innocent residents were taken hostage, while the fate of 150 people (68 women, 26 children) still remains unknown.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijani-born Armenian arrives in Baku
- 25.05.2018No discussion yet on date of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs’ meeting – Mammadyarov
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijani FM: Proposing Karabakh separatists’ participation in talks means ‘killing’ peace process
- 25.05.2018FM: Azerbaijan ready for good neighborly relations with Armenia after restoration of its territorial integrity
- 24.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani people confident of restoring country’s territorial integrity
- 24.05.2018Trump: Coming months bring opportunities to resolve Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 23.05.2018FM: Armenia to resume Karabakh peace process in near future
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets personal representative of OSCE Chairman-in-Office
- 23.05.2018Russia vows to continue active role in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 23.05.2018ECHR soon to hear case of Azerbaijanis held hostage by Armenia – attorney
- 22.05.2018Baku: Armenia bears int’l legal responsibility for occupation of Azerbaijani territories
- 20.05.2018A serviceman of the Azerbaijan Army was killed as a result of another provocation of Armenia
- 20.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 93 times
- 18.05.201826 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Lachin district by Armenia
- 17.05.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit region next month
- 17.05.2018Baku: It’s time for Armenian MFA to change ‘same old song’
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijani MFA spokesman issues statement on 26th anniversary of occupation of Lachin by Armenia
- 16.05.2018Crisis Group expert: New gov’t in Armenia opens up new opportunities for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 16.05.2018Armenia’s occupation policy hinders peace in region: Azerbaijani parl’t speaker
- 15.05.2018OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs issue statement on Paris meeting
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan reiterates readiness to intensify talks for early settlement of Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 14.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov to discuss Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict with OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs
- 14.05.2018FM: Resettlement of Syrian Armenians in occupied Azerbaijani territories ‘unacceptable’
- 14.05.2018Armenia-Azerbaiajn Peace Platform holds meeting
- 13.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 89 times
- 12.05.2018Ali Ahmadov: If Pashinyan does not understand need for fair settlement of conflict, this is beginning of his tragedy
- 12.05.201824 years pass since declaration of ceasefire between Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Tigran Balayan trying to be extra active seeking promotion in new Armenian gov’t
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan slams Pashinyan’s proposal to accept separatist Karabakh regime as party in talks
- 10.05.2018Pashinyan’s statements contradict negotiation principles, says Azerbaijani diplomat
- 10.05.2018Bayram Safarov: Pashinyan will someday regret that he visited Shusha
- 09.05.2018Hikmat Hajiyev: The new Prime Minister of Armenia makes controversial statements about the negotiation process
- 09.05.2018Armenia’s new PM visits occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan allows some foreign media representatives to visit Nagorno-Karabakh
- 08.05.2018Six foreigners attempt to trespass Armenia-Azerbaijan border
- 08.05.2018Pashinyan says ready for talks with Azerbaijan on Karabakh conflict
- 08.05.2018“Serzh Sargsyan's resignation was overdue”
- 08.05.2018Nagorno-Karabakh is not disputed territory, Azerbaijan says
- 08.05.2018Azerbaijan says Armenia’s position impedes political settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 08.05.201826 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan's Shusha city by Armenia
- 02.03.2017ECO: Karabakh conflict hinders region’s economic growth
- 02.03.2017Vogue embraces the Leonie Mergen Karabakh-Collection
- 03.03.2017Mard: Status quo in Karabakh conflict – unsustainable
- 02.03.2017Doctor of Historical Sciences Inanj Atilgan joins to Armenia Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 02.03.2017US envoy: Karabakh conflict settlement to bring stability, prosperity to Azerbaijan and region
- 02.03.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform meets with EU Delegation to Azerbaijan