Foreign Ministry: Escalation of tension on border with Azerbaijan by Armenia – provocation
Baku. Turbat Baghirova – APA. Attempts of Armenia to escalate tension on the border with Azerbaijan on the eve of the continuation of the 70th session of the UN General Assembly which focuses on the issues of international peace and security and during the talks between the foreign ministers of Azerbaijan and Armenia in New York with the mediation of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs are provocative, Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry spokesman Hikmat Hajiyev told APA on Sept. 25.
He said these provocations aim to impede the negotiation process.
The Armenian armed forces, in violation of its obligations under the international humanitarian law, continue purposeful actions against the civilian population. “As a result of this kind of Armenian provocation on September 23, resident of Kemerli village of Azerbaijan’s Gazakh district Esmira Dursunova was wounded.”
By stationing its firing points in and around civilian objects and making attempts to turn its civilians into a target with return fire from Azerbaijani armed forces, Armenia has chosen the inhumane tactics, the spokesman said. “The tactics, which is typical for terrorists and uses civilian targets and population as a cover, in the first place is a war crime against the citizens of Armenia,” he added.
Azerbaijan remains committed to the obligations under the Geneva conventions and additional protocols, the spokesman said. “Unlike Armenia, Azerbaijan’s obligations under the Geneva Conventions and additional protocols are an integral part of compulsory education-training program,” he noted.
Protection of civilians, helping women, children and the elderly are high moral values that belong to the people and soldiers of Azerbaijan, Hajiyev said.
The policy of ethnic cleansing against the Azerbaijani people, the genocide in Khojaly, shelling of Azerbaijani civilians along the line of contact and the Armenian-Azerbaijani border and even the military use of its own citizens as a cover and the object of provocations are an integral of the military and inhumane crimes of Armenia’s military and political leadership, he noted.
Hajiyev said that the reason for the violation of the ceasefire and the aggravation of the situation along the line of contact and the Armenian-Azerbaijani border is a continuation of the policy of aggression and occupation of Armenia against Azerbaijan.
“Armenia, as an occupying country, bears full responsibility for the continuation of aggression and occupation against Azerbaijan and the escalation of tension,” Hajiyev completed.
Related news releases
- 28.03.2017France is ready to host meeting between Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents on its territory
- 28.03.2017Lukashenko: Armenia, Azerbaijan should resolve Karabakh conflict without mediators
- 28.03.2017Azerbaijan expresses protest over Iranian musician’s concert in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 27.03.2017Azerbaijan appeals to OSCE MG member countries over Sargsyan’s statement
- 27.03.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Moscow
- 27.03.2017OSCE MG co-chairs, Armenian FM mull Karabakh settlement
- 27.03.2017Armenia begins excavations at mosque in occupied Shusha
- 27.03.2017Ukrainian scientist joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 26.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 118 times
- 23.03.2017Azerbaijan’s military leadership visits frontline
- 23.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 22.03.2017Armenian armed forces holding military exercises in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 21.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 143 times
- 19.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 136 times
- 18.03.2017Armenia lost hopes and lives with depression – Azerbaijani president
- 18.03.2017Colombian Senate passes decision on 25th anniversary of Khojaly genocide
- 17.03.2017Ex-presidents express support for Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 17.03.2017Cultural worker from Ukraine joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 17.03.2017PM: April battles – a victorious page of Azerbaijan’s military history
- 17.03.2017Kwasniewski: No chance of progress in Karabakh talks without implementation of UN resolutions
- 17.03.2017Former Kyrgyz PM comments on country’s refusal to sign ECO declaration
- 16.03.2017Moscow says nothing hidden in Karabakh talks
- 16.03.2017Russian political analyst joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 16.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Change in status quo means liberation of occupied Azerbaijan lands
- 15.03.2017PACE members meet with IDPs
- 15.03.2017Putin: Russia continues to assist in resolving Karabakh conflict
- 15.03.2017French president urges progress towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.03.2017Georgian professor joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 15.03.2017Books by Lithuanian authors on Armenian aggression presented in Baku
- 15.03.2017Khalaf Khalafov: Armenia encourages relocation of Syrian and Lebanese Armenians to occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 15.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity cannot be negotiated
- 15.03.2017French President: “The existing status quo in Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is unacceptable”
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijani President: “For the first stage, negotiations should be resumed as soon as possible”
- 14.03.2017Int’l conference on Karabakh conflict underway in Baku
- 14.03.2017Ilham Aliyev urges foreign companies to avoid illegal activity in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 14.03.2017Russian journalist: Majority of Karabakh Armenians were forcibly “armenianized”
- 14.03.2017“If war erupts in Karabakh, Russia, Georgia and Turkey will be involved in it”
- 14.03.2017Int’l conference on Karabakh conflict kicks off in Baku
- 14.03.2017German MPs adopt Declaration on Khojaly Massacre
- 26.09.2015Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs hold meeting
- 26.09.2015Ambassador: Pakistan unequivocally recognizes Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity - PHOTO
- 26.09.2015Civilian killed as Armenian armed forces use mortars on contact line
- 25.09.2015Times of Israel: Armenia reminds ISIL
- 25.09.2015OSCE MG co-chairs express concerns about use of mortars, heavy weapons in civilian areas
- 25.09.2015OSCE MG co-chairs meet with Armenian FM in New York