Foreign Ministry: Escalation of tension on border with Azerbaijan by Armenia – provocation
Baku. Turbat Baghirova – APA. Attempts of Armenia to escalate tension on the border with Azerbaijan on the eve of the continuation of the 70th session of the UN General Assembly which focuses on the issues of international peace and security and during the talks between the foreign ministers of Azerbaijan and Armenia in New York with the mediation of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs are provocative, Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry spokesman Hikmat Hajiyev told APA on Sept. 25.
He said these provocations aim to impede the negotiation process.
The Armenian armed forces, in violation of its obligations under the international humanitarian law, continue purposeful actions against the civilian population. “As a result of this kind of Armenian provocation on September 23, resident of Kemerli village of Azerbaijan’s Gazakh district Esmira Dursunova was wounded.”
By stationing its firing points in and around civilian objects and making attempts to turn its civilians into a target with return fire from Azerbaijani armed forces, Armenia has chosen the inhumane tactics, the spokesman said. “The tactics, which is typical for terrorists and uses civilian targets and population as a cover, in the first place is a war crime against the citizens of Armenia,” he added.
Azerbaijan remains committed to the obligations under the Geneva conventions and additional protocols, the spokesman said. “Unlike Armenia, Azerbaijan’s obligations under the Geneva Conventions and additional protocols are an integral part of compulsory education-training program,” he noted.
Protection of civilians, helping women, children and the elderly are high moral values that belong to the people and soldiers of Azerbaijan, Hajiyev said.
The policy of ethnic cleansing against the Azerbaijani people, the genocide in Khojaly, shelling of Azerbaijani civilians along the line of contact and the Armenian-Azerbaijani border and even the military use of its own citizens as a cover and the object of provocations are an integral of the military and inhumane crimes of Armenia’s military and political leadership, he noted.
Hajiyev said that the reason for the violation of the ceasefire and the aggravation of the situation along the line of contact and the Armenian-Azerbaijani border is a continuation of the policy of aggression and occupation of Armenia against Azerbaijan.
“Armenia, as an occupying country, bears full responsibility for the continuation of aggression and occupation against Azerbaijan and the escalation of tension,” Hajiyev completed.
Related news releases
- 26.02.2017The Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group issued statement on the clash on the line of contact
- 26.02.2017Exhibition commemorating Khojaly Massacre victims opens in Berlin
- 26.02.2017‘The Concentration Camp’ book published
- 26.02.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform expresses concern over mounting escalation at contact line
- 26.02.2017Azerbaijan: Int’l tribunal needed for Khojaly genocide
- 26.02.2017Khojaly Genocide: 25 years pass since tragedy of 20th century
- 26.02.2017Azerbaijan urges OSCE MG to force Armenia into peace talks
- 26.02.2017“Armenia will never be able to annex Azerbaijani lands”
- 26.02.2017Khojaly massacre – a black spot in history of mankind: Turkish envoy
- 26.02.2017Azerbaijani president pays tribute to Khojaly genocide victims
- 26.02.2017Nationwide march held in Baku to commemorate 25th anniversary of Khojaly Genocide
- 26.02.2017Turkish parliament speaker marks 1992 Khojaly massacre
- 26.02.2017“We will not leave our homes” - REPORTAGE FROM THE FRONTLINE VILLAGE
- 26.02.2017Azerbaijan commemorates 25th anniversary of Khojaly Genocide
- 25.02.2017MP: “An adequate response given to the enemy this time”
- 25.02.2017Vice-Speaker of the Azerbaijani Parliament: "Military provocations became key tool for Armenia"
- 25.02.2017Samad Seyidov: "Such provocations - traditional, usual tactics of Armenians"
- 25.02.2017Tension on frontline is continuation of Armenia’s political provocation such as “referendum” – FM
- 25.02.2017Book titled “Eight days in Armenian prison” by Khojaly genocide witness presented in Istanbul
- 25.02.2017Armenian history will always carry stigma of genocide – top official
- 25.02.2017Italian Senator proposes to recognize Khojaly genocide
- 25.02.2017Ali Ahmadov: Azerbaijani army will give adequate response to Armenian provocations
- 25.02.2017Turkish ambassador: Armenians accusing us of genocide, try to hide traces of crimes they committed
- 25.02.2017Carey Cavanaugh: "The United States should cooperate with Russia in the settlement of Nagorno Karabakh problem"
- 24.02.2017Situation in zone of Nagorno Karabakh conflict causes concern – OSCE Secretary General
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijan suspends activity of Working Group on assessment of damage caused by Armenian occupation
- 24.02.2017Turkish Foreign Ministry condemns Khojaly Massacre
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijan to appeal to UNESCO over illegal archaeological activity in occupied lands
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijani MPs propose to erect ‘Genocide Memorial’ in Alley of Martyrs
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijani MP urges int’l community to impose sanctions against Armenia
- 24.02.2017Adoption of Khojaly resolution clearly indicates Djibouti’s position, says minister
- 24.02.2017FM Mammadyarov: OSCE MG co-chair countries voted for UN resolutions on Karabakh conflict
- 24.02.201725 years of Khojaly tragedy commemorated in Luxembourg
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijan: 197 Khojaly residents listed as missing
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijani ombudsperson: Number of women and children killed in Khojaly was higher
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijan: European Parliament membership gives no right to violate laws
- 23.02.2017Anti-pedestrian mine found in Jojuq Marjanli
- 23.02.2017Photo exhibition commemorating Khojaly Genocide opens in Kazakhstan
- 23.02.2017Film on Khojaly tragedy premieres in Los Angeles
- 22.02.2017Scottish Parliament passes resolution on Khojaly tragedy
- 26.09.2015Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs hold meeting
- 26.09.2015Ambassador: Pakistan unequivocally recognizes Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity - PHOTO
- 26.09.2015Civilian killed as Armenian armed forces use mortars on contact line
- 25.09.2015Times of Israel: Armenia reminds ISIL
- 25.09.2015OSCE MG co-chairs express concerns about use of mortars, heavy weapons in civilian areas
- 25.09.2015OSCE MG co-chairs meet with Armenian FM in New York