Foreign Ministry: Escalation of tension on border with Azerbaijan by Armenia – provocation
Baku. Turbat Baghirova – APA. Attempts of Armenia to escalate tension on the border with Azerbaijan on the eve of the continuation of the 70th session of the UN General Assembly which focuses on the issues of international peace and security and during the talks between the foreign ministers of Azerbaijan and Armenia in New York with the mediation of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs are provocative, Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry spokesman Hikmat Hajiyev told APA on Sept. 25.
He said these provocations aim to impede the negotiation process.
The Armenian armed forces, in violation of its obligations under the international humanitarian law, continue purposeful actions against the civilian population. “As a result of this kind of Armenian provocation on September 23, resident of Kemerli village of Azerbaijan’s Gazakh district Esmira Dursunova was wounded.”
By stationing its firing points in and around civilian objects and making attempts to turn its civilians into a target with return fire from Azerbaijani armed forces, Armenia has chosen the inhumane tactics, the spokesman said. “The tactics, which is typical for terrorists and uses civilian targets and population as a cover, in the first place is a war crime against the citizens of Armenia,” he added.
Azerbaijan remains committed to the obligations under the Geneva conventions and additional protocols, the spokesman said. “Unlike Armenia, Azerbaijan’s obligations under the Geneva Conventions and additional protocols are an integral part of compulsory education-training program,” he noted.
Protection of civilians, helping women, children and the elderly are high moral values that belong to the people and soldiers of Azerbaijan, Hajiyev said.
The policy of ethnic cleansing against the Azerbaijani people, the genocide in Khojaly, shelling of Azerbaijani civilians along the line of contact and the Armenian-Azerbaijani border and even the military use of its own citizens as a cover and the object of provocations are an integral of the military and inhumane crimes of Armenia’s military and political leadership, he noted.
Hajiyev said that the reason for the violation of the ceasefire and the aggravation of the situation along the line of contact and the Armenian-Azerbaijani border is a continuation of the policy of aggression and occupation of Armenia against Azerbaijan.
“Armenia, as an occupying country, bears full responsibility for the continuation of aggression and occupation against Azerbaijan and the escalation of tension,” Hajiyev completed.
Related news releases
- 23.07.201623 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Aghdam district by Armenia
- 22.07.2016Azerbaijan says ready to grant Nagorno-Karabakh highest autonomous status within its territorial integrity
- 22.07.2016Warlick: OSCE MG committed to continuing dialogue on Karabakh conflict at highest level
- 21.07.2016US, NATO and all European countries must support Azerbaijan: opinion
- 20.07.2016OSCE MG postpones meetings on Karabakh conflict settlement in Ankara
- 15.07.2016OSCE MG to try to hold Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents’ meeting as soon as possible, says Warlick
- 15.07.2016OSCE MG co-chairs due in Ankara to mull Karabakh conflict
- 15.07.2016Azerbaijani FM: Armenia trying to restage armed provocations on contact line
- 15.07.2016FM: Turkey supports positive steps taken towards Karabakh conflict resolution
- 15.07.2016Azerbaijani FM briefs Turkish counterpart on Karabakh talks
- 15.07.2016Lavrov, Kerry mulling Karabakh conflict in Moscow
- 15.07.2016Baku hopes early implementation of understandings reached in Vienna, St. Petersburg
- 14.07.2016Moscow dismisses possibility of any unpleasant surprises in Karabakh conflict settlement process
- 14.07.2016Karabakh conflict among priorities of Austrian OSCE chairmanship
- 13.07.2016US Senate Committee recommends financial aid to Nagorno-Karabakh
- 12.07.2016Armenia’s policy aimed at impeding any progress in Karabakh conflict resolution, says Azerbaijan
- 12.07.2016Moscow’s efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement agreed with West – political analyst
- 12.07.2016Russian FM: Even slightly encouraging factors on Karabakh conflict settlement should be treated carefully
- 12.07.2016Talks on Karabakh conflict underway on specific issues – Azerbaijani FM
- 12.07.2016Warlick: Co-chair countries to continue efforts to achieve comprehensive settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 12.07.2016Azerbaijani FM: Intensified dialogue, even tripartite talks underway on Karabakh conflict resolution
- 12.07.2016Lavrov: Ongoing talks – important step towards implementation of agreements reached at presidents' meetings
- 11.07.2016President Ilham Aliyev: “ High activity has been observed in the negotiation process ” - UPDATED
- 11.07.2016Kerry to discuss Nagorno-Karabakh conflict in Moscow
- 11.07.2016Karabakh conflict settlement process continues – Russian FM
- 11.07.2016President Aliyev: Currently a very active dynamics in negotiations on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 10.07.2016President Aliyev: Situation may change in case Armenia continues provocative acts
- 10.07.2016Minsk Group to participate in tomorrow’s discussions on Karabakh conflict
- 09.07.2016Azerbaijani President: “The use of force against Azerbaijan by Armenia represents a grave threat to regional security”
- 09.07.2016Serzh Sargsyan meet with François Hollande
- 09.07.2016Warlick: Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents rejected war in Warsaw
- 09.07.2016Azerbaijani President and Minister of Foreign Affairs of Germany discuss Nagorno Karabakh conflict in Warsaw
- 09.07.2016State Department: "The U.S. support for substantive talks leading to a comprehensive settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 08.07.2016Azerbaijani president meets with OSCE MG co-chairs in Warsaw
- 08.07.2016NATO urges Karabakh conflict sides to reduce tension
- 07.07.2016James Warlick: "Nagorno-Karabakh conflict to be discussed on the margins of NATO Summit"
- 06.07.2016Obama and Putin discuss Nagorno Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 06.07.2016Serzh Sargsyan meets Special Representative for the South Caucasus
- 05.07.2016OSCE PA special representative intends to visit Nagorno-Karabakh
- 05.07.2016Paris: Consultations underway on next meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents
- 26.09.2015Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs hold meeting
- 26.09.2015Ambassador: Pakistan unequivocally recognizes Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity - PHOTO
- 26.09.2015Civilian killed as Armenian armed forces use mortars on contact line
- 25.09.2015Times of Israel: Armenia reminds ISIL
- 25.09.2015OSCE MG co-chairs express concerns about use of mortars, heavy weapons in civilian areas
- 25.09.2015OSCE MG co-chairs meet with Armenian FM in New York