Foreign Ministry: Escalation of tension on border with Azerbaijan by Armenia – provocation
Baku. Turbat Baghirova – APA. Attempts of Armenia to escalate tension on the border with Azerbaijan on the eve of the continuation of the 70th session of the UN General Assembly which focuses on the issues of international peace and security and during the talks between the foreign ministers of Azerbaijan and Armenia in New York with the mediation of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs are provocative, Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry spokesman Hikmat Hajiyev told APA on Sept. 25.
He said these provocations aim to impede the negotiation process.
The Armenian armed forces, in violation of its obligations under the international humanitarian law, continue purposeful actions against the civilian population. “As a result of this kind of Armenian provocation on September 23, resident of Kemerli village of Azerbaijan’s Gazakh district Esmira Dursunova was wounded.”
By stationing its firing points in and around civilian objects and making attempts to turn its civilians into a target with return fire from Azerbaijani armed forces, Armenia has chosen the inhumane tactics, the spokesman said. “The tactics, which is typical for terrorists and uses civilian targets and population as a cover, in the first place is a war crime against the citizens of Armenia,” he added.
Azerbaijan remains committed to the obligations under the Geneva conventions and additional protocols, the spokesman said. “Unlike Armenia, Azerbaijan’s obligations under the Geneva Conventions and additional protocols are an integral part of compulsory education-training program,” he noted.
Protection of civilians, helping women, children and the elderly are high moral values that belong to the people and soldiers of Azerbaijan, Hajiyev said.
The policy of ethnic cleansing against the Azerbaijani people, the genocide in Khojaly, shelling of Azerbaijani civilians along the line of contact and the Armenian-Azerbaijani border and even the military use of its own citizens as a cover and the object of provocations are an integral of the military and inhumane crimes of Armenia’s military and political leadership, he noted.
Hajiyev said that the reason for the violation of the ceasefire and the aggravation of the situation along the line of contact and the Armenian-Azerbaijani border is a continuation of the policy of aggression and occupation of Armenia against Azerbaijan.
“Armenia, as an occupying country, bears full responsibility for the continuation of aggression and occupation against Azerbaijan and the escalation of tension,” Hajiyev completed.
Related news releases
- 18.01.2017Armenian soldier killed in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 18.01.2017Kurz says Russia can play key role in resolving crises in OSCE area
- 17.01.2017Azerbaijan's territorial integrity must be restored: Bangladeshi ambassador
- 17.01.2017Azerbaijani FM: If Russia engages in Karabakh conflict settlement with all seriousness, Armenian troops’ withdrawal from occupied lands will be ensured
- 17.01.2017Madat Guliyev meets with ICRC Azerbaijan Delegation head in connection with return of soldier Chingiz Gurbanov's body
- 17.01.2017Armenian soldier wounded in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 17.01.2017Lavrov: No consensus in OSCE on investigation of incidents in Karabakh - UPDATED
- 17.01.2017Malena Mard: EU supports Minsk Group efforts
- 16.01.2017Armenian soldier killed in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 15.01.2017Azerbaijani serviceman killed during Armenian provocation
- 15.01.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 22 times
- 13.01.2017Baku expresses discontent over so-called regime's participation in Sochi KVN festival
- 13.01.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform issues another statement
- 12.01.2017Andrzej Kasprzyk’s mandate extended
- 12.01.2017Russia reacts to Armenia’s reluctance to return Azerbaijani soldier’s body
- 12.01.2017OSCE chair, Russian FM to mull Karabakh conflict
- 12.01.2017EUSR Office backs calls for return of killed Azerbaijani soldier
- 12.01.2017Kurz says no military solution to conflicts in OSCE area
- 11.01.2017Ombudsperson asks ICRC president for help retrieve Azerbaijani soldier’s body
- 11.01.2017Azerbaijan welcomes efforts by ICRC, OSCE MG to return soldier’s body
- 11.01.2017Russia opposes re-escalation of Karabakh conflict: lawmaker
- 11.01.2017Hikmat Hajiyev: 1994-1995 ceasefire agreement includes timetable for Armenian troops’ withdrawal from occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 11.01.2017Ilham Aliyev: Former CSTO leaders made ‘a big political mistake’ by taking pro-Armenian stance
- 10.01.2017ICRC: Body of Azerbaijani soldier should be returned as soon as possible
- 10.01.2017Ilham Aliyev: Myth created by Armenia over years destroyed during April battles
- 10.01.2017Hoagland: OSCE MG co-chairs continue to encourage Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet
- 10.01.2017Azerbaijani envoy stresses need to involve EU to be more vocal about Karabakh conflict settlement
- 10.01.2017Hoagland: OSCE MG co-chairs looking for appropriate time to visit region
- 10.01.2017OSCE MG Co-Chairs urge to return body of Azerbaijani serviceman without delay
- 09.01.2017ICRC: Talks underway for return of Azerbaijani soldier’s body
- 08.01.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 44 times
- 06.01.2017Azerbaijan urges int’l organizations to take steps for return of soldier’s body
- 05.01.2017US response to petition urged for return of territories surrounding Nagorno-Karabakh to Azerbaijan’s control: ACSDA president
- 03.01.2017Armenian leadership trying to prevent progress in negotiation process – Azerbaijani FM
- 03.01.2017Armenia ignores appeals to return Azerbaijani soldier’s body
- 01.01.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 92 times
- 31.12.2016Nagorno-Karabakh conflict: Armenian military resorted to numerous provocations in 2016
- 31.12.2016Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 1300 times in one month
- 31.12.2016New Year address from Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 31.12.2016Azerbaijan says Armenia unreasonably delays return of soldier’s corpse
- 26.09.2015Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs hold meeting
- 26.09.2015Ambassador: Pakistan unequivocally recognizes Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity - PHOTO
- 26.09.2015Civilian killed as Armenian armed forces use mortars on contact line
- 25.09.2015Times of Israel: Armenia reminds ISIL
- 25.09.2015OSCE MG co-chairs express concerns about use of mortars, heavy weapons in civilian areas
- 25.09.2015OSCE MG co-chairs meet with Armenian FM in New York