Foreign Ministry: Escalation of tension on border with Azerbaijan by Armenia – provocation
Baku. Turbat Baghirova – APA. Attempts of Armenia to escalate tension on the border with Azerbaijan on the eve of the continuation of the 70th session of the UN General Assembly which focuses on the issues of international peace and security and during the talks between the foreign ministers of Azerbaijan and Armenia in New York with the mediation of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs are provocative, Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry spokesman Hikmat Hajiyev told APA on Sept. 25.
He said these provocations aim to impede the negotiation process.
The Armenian armed forces, in violation of its obligations under the international humanitarian law, continue purposeful actions against the civilian population. “As a result of this kind of Armenian provocation on September 23, resident of Kemerli village of Azerbaijan’s Gazakh district Esmira Dursunova was wounded.”
By stationing its firing points in and around civilian objects and making attempts to turn its civilians into a target with return fire from Azerbaijani armed forces, Armenia has chosen the inhumane tactics, the spokesman said. “The tactics, which is typical for terrorists and uses civilian targets and population as a cover, in the first place is a war crime against the citizens of Armenia,” he added.
Azerbaijan remains committed to the obligations under the Geneva conventions and additional protocols, the spokesman said. “Unlike Armenia, Azerbaijan’s obligations under the Geneva Conventions and additional protocols are an integral part of compulsory education-training program,” he noted.
Protection of civilians, helping women, children and the elderly are high moral values that belong to the people and soldiers of Azerbaijan, Hajiyev said.
The policy of ethnic cleansing against the Azerbaijani people, the genocide in Khojaly, shelling of Azerbaijani civilians along the line of contact and the Armenian-Azerbaijani border and even the military use of its own citizens as a cover and the object of provocations are an integral of the military and inhumane crimes of Armenia’s military and political leadership, he noted.
Hajiyev said that the reason for the violation of the ceasefire and the aggravation of the situation along the line of contact and the Armenian-Azerbaijani border is a continuation of the policy of aggression and occupation of Armenia against Azerbaijan.
“Armenia, as an occupying country, bears full responsibility for the continuation of aggression and occupation against Azerbaijan and the escalation of tension,” Hajiyev completed.
Related news releases
- 08.12.2016Russian and Armenian FMs discuss Nagorno Karabakh conflict settlement .
- 08.12.2016FMs of the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chair Countries release joint statement on Nagorno Karabakh conflict
- 08.12.2016Russian MP: "Azerbaijan will never accept the occupation of Nagorno Karabakh"
- 08.12.2016France supports substantive talks on Karabakh conflict
- 08.12.20163+2 format meeting on Karabakh conflict did not take place in Hamburg
- 08.12.2016Armenian FM, OSCE MG co-chairs meet in Hamburg
- 08.12.2016FM: Armenian troops’ presence in occupied Azerbaijani lands 'a major impediment' to Karabakh conflict settlement
- 08.12.2016‘Frozen conflicts’ like Nagorno-Karabakh must be ended: Turkish FM
- 08.12.2016Incident in Armenian army leaves one soldier dead, another seriously wounded - UPDATED-1
- 08.12.2016EU hopes for implementation of previously reached agreements on Karabakh conflict
- 08.12.2016Austrian FM: 2016 was a year of some challenges in OSCE area, including military clashes in Karabakh
- 08.12.2016Latvia supports OSCE MG efforts to resolve Karabakh conflict
- 08.12.2016Kerry: Armenia-Azerbaijan conflict undermines European security
- 08.12.2016Lavrov: Commitment to agreements plays key role in settling Karabakh conflict
- 08.12.2016OSCE: Recent escalation in Karabakh exposed vulnerability of peace in Europe
- 08.12.2016Karabakh conflict among ‘Yandex top searches of 2016’
- 07.12.2016France’s new interior minister is member of so-called France-Artsakh friendship circle
- 07.12.2016Moscow: Discussion underway on possible “3+2” format meeting on Karabakh conflict
- 06.12.2016“Armenia-Azerbaijan Platform for Peace” established
- 06.12.2016Azerbaijani, Armenian human rights defenders address presidents and people of both countries
- 06.12.2016Council of Europe ready to contribute to establishment of confidence between Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 06.12.2016Armenian side intensifies provocations against Azerbaijan
- 04.12.2016Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 47 times
- 03.12.2016FM: Turkey welcomes Russia’s efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 03.12.2016Yerevan avoids talks on Karabakh conflict: Azerbaijani FM
- 03.12.2016Turkey urges Armenia to withdraw troops from occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 02.12.2016Azerbaijan: EU nationals’ visits to occupied lands are deplorable
- 01.12.2016Karabakh conflict settlement included to Russia’s new foreign policy concept
- 01.12.2016Austrian journalist asks Baku not to blacklist his name for visiting occupied lands
- 01.12.2016FM: Bosnia and Herzegovina supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 01.12.2016Yerevan avoids Hamburg meeting: Azerbaijani FM
- 01.12.2016Azerbaijani FM: Raising issue of Karabakh’s status at first stage undermines peace process
- 01.12.2016“We must unite in fight for liberation of Karabakh”
- 30.11.2016Ramiz Mehdiyev: Minsk Group failed to produce desired result
- 30.11.2016Warlick explains reasons for quitting Minsk Group - INTERVIEW
- 29.11.2016FMs of OSCE MG co-chairing countries to attend Hamburg meeting
- 29.11.2016"France-Karabakh friendship circle" has no official status, says Azerbaijan
- 28.11.2016Azerbaijan and Belarus support settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict based on international law
- 28.11.2016Azerbaijan eyes legal actions against foreign researchers working in occupied lands
- 28.11.2016Azerbaijan to appeal to Int’l Military Tribunal over Khojaly Genocide
- 26.09.2015Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs hold meeting
- 26.09.2015Ambassador: Pakistan unequivocally recognizes Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity - PHOTO
- 26.09.2015Civilian killed as Armenian armed forces use mortars on contact line
- 25.09.2015Times of Israel: Armenia reminds ISIL
- 25.09.2015OSCE MG co-chairs express concerns about use of mortars, heavy weapons in civilian areas
- 25.09.2015OSCE MG co-chairs meet with Armenian FM in New York