Foreign Ministry: Escalation of tension on border with Azerbaijan by Armenia – provocation
Baku. Turbat Baghirova – APA. Attempts of Armenia to escalate tension on the border with Azerbaijan on the eve of the continuation of the 70th session of the UN General Assembly which focuses on the issues of international peace and security and during the talks between the foreign ministers of Azerbaijan and Armenia in New York with the mediation of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs are provocative, Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry spokesman Hikmat Hajiyev told APA on Sept. 25.
He said these provocations aim to impede the negotiation process.
The Armenian armed forces, in violation of its obligations under the international humanitarian law, continue purposeful actions against the civilian population. “As a result of this kind of Armenian provocation on September 23, resident of Kemerli village of Azerbaijan’s Gazakh district Esmira Dursunova was wounded.”
By stationing its firing points in and around civilian objects and making attempts to turn its civilians into a target with return fire from Azerbaijani armed forces, Armenia has chosen the inhumane tactics, the spokesman said. “The tactics, which is typical for terrorists and uses civilian targets and population as a cover, in the first place is a war crime against the citizens of Armenia,” he added.
Azerbaijan remains committed to the obligations under the Geneva conventions and additional protocols, the spokesman said. “Unlike Armenia, Azerbaijan’s obligations under the Geneva Conventions and additional protocols are an integral part of compulsory education-training program,” he noted.
Protection of civilians, helping women, children and the elderly are high moral values that belong to the people and soldiers of Azerbaijan, Hajiyev said.
The policy of ethnic cleansing against the Azerbaijani people, the genocide in Khojaly, shelling of Azerbaijani civilians along the line of contact and the Armenian-Azerbaijani border and even the military use of its own citizens as a cover and the object of provocations are an integral of the military and inhumane crimes of Armenia’s military and political leadership, he noted.
Hajiyev said that the reason for the violation of the ceasefire and the aggravation of the situation along the line of contact and the Armenian-Azerbaijani border is a continuation of the policy of aggression and occupation of Armenia against Azerbaijan.
“Armenia, as an occupying country, bears full responsibility for the continuation of aggression and occupation against Azerbaijan and the escalation of tension,” Hajiyev completed.
Related news releases
- 31.08.201623 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Gubadli district by Armenians
- 30.08.2016Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry issues statement against provocative events planned to be held in Yerevan and Khankendi
- 30.08.2016Occupied Nagorno-Karabakh region must be returned to Azerbaijan unconditionally: Turkish Army Gen.
- 28.08.2016Armenia continues to violate ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 26.08.2016Warlick: “NKR independence” not recognized by any country including Armenia
- 25.08.2016Azerbaijan to blacklist all those who will illegally visit its occupied lands to mark 25th anniversary of “NKR independence”
- 25.08.2016Moscow: US unlikely to give way to Russian leadership in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 24.08.2016Armenian troops set fire to occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 23.08.2016German MP: Fulfillment of UN Security Council resolutions on Karabakh are unambiguous
- 23.08.201623 years passed since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli and Jabrayil districts by Armenian armed forces
- 22.08.2016Azerbaijan Naval Forces begin command and staff exercise
- 20.08.2016Hikmet Hajiyev: We call on world youths not to succumb to lie challenges of Armenians on Nagorno Karabakh
- 16.08.2016Warlick welcomes Putin’s personal involvement in efforts to settle Karabakh conflict
- 16.08.2016American journalist’s book on Khojaly genocide presented in California
- 15.08.2016James Warlick: We value opportunity to enlist Turkey’s support for our efforts
- 15.08.2016Turkey’s ministry of education gives instructions of non-participation in int’l conference on Karabakh in Armenia
- 15.08.2016No specific plans on meeting for August - James Warlick
- 15.08.2016Situation in occupied Azerbaijani territories put on agenda of UN Security Council’s 71st session
- 12.08.2016Ambassador: Turkey has always strongly supported Azerbaijani position on Karabakh
- 11.08.2016Russian and French FMs discuss the situation in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 10.08.2016Putin: Russia interested in elimination of tension between Baku and Yerevan
- 10.08.2016Putin to inform Sargsyan about discussions held in Baku on Karabakh conflict
- 10.08.2016Baku. Malahat Najafova – APA. Turkey has nothing to do in the settlement of the Nagorno Karabakh conflict.
- 10.08.2016Turkish FM: Russia, Azerbaijan wants Turkey to contribute to Karabakh issue
- 08.08.2016Ilham Aliyev: "The existing status quo in Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is unacceptable"
- 08.08.2016Azerbaijani president thanks Putin for active role in Karabakh peace settlement
- 08.08.2016Russia to continue seeking compromise solution to Nagorno Karabakh conflict - Putin
- 07.08.2016President: Iran supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 07.08.2016Azerbaijani president informs Iranian counterpart about Karabakh negotiations
- 05.08.2016Putin: Russia isn’t trying push other mediators aside in settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 05.08.2016Putin: We are not trying to impose some ready made solutions upon Armenia and Azerbaijan
- 03.08.2016OSCE Minsk Group expects parties to comply with obligations
- 03.08.2016Co-chairs considering possibility of organizing next meeting of presidents
- 02.08.2016Hikmat Hajiyev: Sooner or later, Azerbaijan’s sovereignty over Nagorno Karabakh will be fully ensured
- 29.07.2016Russia, US mull Karabakh conflict settlement prospects
- 29.07.2016Karabakh conflict settlement to be at core of Italy’s 2018 OSCE chairmanship agenda
- 29.07.2016Lack of adequate international reaction to Armenia’s illegal actions contributes to growing sense of impunity, says Azerbaijan
- 27.07.2016Azerbaijan, Armenia agree on extension of OSCE monitoring group in Nagorno-Karabakh – Warlick
- 25.07.2016Bundestag member: Occupation of Azerbaijani territory has to be ended
- 23.07.201623 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Aghdam district by Armenia
- 26.09.2015Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs hold meeting
- 26.09.2015Ambassador: Pakistan unequivocally recognizes Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity - PHOTO
- 26.09.2015Civilian killed as Armenian armed forces use mortars on contact line
- 25.09.2015Times of Israel: Armenia reminds ISIL
- 25.09.2015OSCE MG co-chairs express concerns about use of mortars, heavy weapons in civilian areas
- 25.09.2015OSCE MG co-chairs meet with Armenian FM in New York