Foreign Ministry: Escalation of tension on border with Azerbaijan by Armenia – provocation
Baku. Turbat Baghirova – APA. Attempts of Armenia to escalate tension on the border with Azerbaijan on the eve of the continuation of the 70th session of the UN General Assembly which focuses on the issues of international peace and security and during the talks between the foreign ministers of Azerbaijan and Armenia in New York with the mediation of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs are provocative, Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry spokesman Hikmat Hajiyev told APA on Sept. 25.
He said these provocations aim to impede the negotiation process.
The Armenian armed forces, in violation of its obligations under the international humanitarian law, continue purposeful actions against the civilian population. “As a result of this kind of Armenian provocation on September 23, resident of Kemerli village of Azerbaijan’s Gazakh district Esmira Dursunova was wounded.”
By stationing its firing points in and around civilian objects and making attempts to turn its civilians into a target with return fire from Azerbaijani armed forces, Armenia has chosen the inhumane tactics, the spokesman said. “The tactics, which is typical for terrorists and uses civilian targets and population as a cover, in the first place is a war crime against the citizens of Armenia,” he added.
Azerbaijan remains committed to the obligations under the Geneva conventions and additional protocols, the spokesman said. “Unlike Armenia, Azerbaijan’s obligations under the Geneva Conventions and additional protocols are an integral part of compulsory education-training program,” he noted.
Protection of civilians, helping women, children and the elderly are high moral values that belong to the people and soldiers of Azerbaijan, Hajiyev said.
The policy of ethnic cleansing against the Azerbaijani people, the genocide in Khojaly, shelling of Azerbaijani civilians along the line of contact and the Armenian-Azerbaijani border and even the military use of its own citizens as a cover and the object of provocations are an integral of the military and inhumane crimes of Armenia’s military and political leadership, he noted.
Hajiyev said that the reason for the violation of the ceasefire and the aggravation of the situation along the line of contact and the Armenian-Azerbaijani border is a continuation of the policy of aggression and occupation of Armenia against Azerbaijan.
“Armenia, as an occupying country, bears full responsibility for the continuation of aggression and occupation against Azerbaijan and the escalation of tension,” Hajiyev completed.
Related news releases
- 30.09.2016Azerbaijani deputy PM: Syrian Armenians being settled in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 30.09.2016US Secretary of State: “The conditions for the solution of the Karabakh conflict has not yet been developed”
- 29.09.2016Ziyafat Asgarov: Justice on Karabakh conflict should be restored with US support
- 29.09.2016Azerbaijani FM: Intensity of negotiations on Karabakh conflict settlement preserved
- 29.09.2016FM: Armenia’s military drills in occupied Azerbaijani territories – blow to peace process
- 29.09.2016OSCE MG co-chairs to visit region in Oct.
- 29.09.2016Azerbaijan awaits OSCE PA steps towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 28.09.2016Baku: Armenia ignores position of int’l community on Karabakh conflict
- 27.09.2016OSCE MG urges Karabakh conflict parties to avoid actions that can adversely affect negotiations
- 24.09.2016FM: Enabling safe return of Azerbaijani refugees, IDPs must be at center of int’l efforts
- 24.09.2016Minister of Foreign Affairs of Azerbaijan addressed the UN General Assembly
- 23.09.2016Return of Azerbaijani refugees to their homes will enhance full-fledged intra-regional cooperation – foreign minister
- 23.09.2016Armenia’s access to Russian-made Iskander poses threat to region
- 23.09.2016Israel following developments over Karabakh conflict: Foreign Ministry
- 23.09.20166 people charged over Armenian soldier’s death in Nagorno Karabakh
- 23.09.2016Baku calls Euronews Insiders edition on Karabakh conflict biased
- 23.09.2016EU supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity – Mogherini
- 22.09.2016OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs release statement on the results of meeting with Azerbaijani and Armenian FM's
- 22.09.2016OSCE MG looks forward to progress on key issues on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 22.09.2016Azerbaijani FM meets with OSCE MG co-chairs
- 22.09.2016Azerbaijani FM calls Armenia's military drills in occupied Aghdam provocation
- 21.09.2016OSCE MG co-chairs meets with Armenia FM in New York
- 21.09.2016Azerbaijani FM: Status-quo in Karabakh conflict unacceptable
- 21.09.2016Germany willing to contribute to Karabakh conflict settlement, says president
- 21.09.2016Paris ready to host talks on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 20.09.2016Armenia’s military exercises in Aghdam – another provocation, says Azerbaijan
- 20.09.2016At UN meeting, Azerbaijan highlights Syrian Armenians’ settlement in Karabakh
- 20.09.2016Azerbaijani FM: April escalation reminded status quo in Karabakh conflict is dangerous
- 19.09.2016Display of “NKR flag” on Armenian athlete’s shirt aimed at damaging Iran-Azerbaijan ties, says ambassador
- 17.09.2016Azerbaijan allows Euronews film crew to visit its occupied territories
- 17.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev’s compelling and tough response to Armenian president’s provocative remarks
- 16.09.2016“Attempts to give Karabakh conflict religious hue are baseless”
- 16.09.2016Azerbaijani parl. speaker: Efforts to resolve Karabakh conflict fail due to Armenia’s destructive stance
- 16.09.2016Film on Azerbaijani refugee children from Karabakh premieres in Los Angeles
- 15.09.2016US Ambassador to Azerbaijan: "Position of U.S. on Nagorno Karabakh conflict not changed"
- 14.09.2016UN High Commissioner for Human Rights protests against Armenian ban imposed on the entry of observers to Nagorno-Karabakh
- 11.09.2016Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 19 times
- 08.09.2016Consultations on Karabakh conflict underway in Moscow – Foreign Ministry
- 08.09.2016Russian FM, OSCE MG co-chairs mull Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 08.09.2016FM: Baku stands for results oriented Karabakh talks - UPDATED
- 26.09.2015Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs hold meeting
- 26.09.2015Ambassador: Pakistan unequivocally recognizes Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity - PHOTO
- 26.09.2015Civilian killed as Armenian armed forces use mortars on contact line
- 25.09.2015Times of Israel: Armenia reminds ISIL
- 25.09.2015OSCE MG co-chairs express concerns about use of mortars, heavy weapons in civilian areas
- 25.09.2015OSCE MG co-chairs meet with Armenian FM in New York