Foreign Ministry: Escalation of tension on border with Azerbaijan by Armenia – provocation
Baku. Turbat Baghirova – APA. Attempts of Armenia to escalate tension on the border with Azerbaijan on the eve of the continuation of the 70th session of the UN General Assembly which focuses on the issues of international peace and security and during the talks between the foreign ministers of Azerbaijan and Armenia in New York with the mediation of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs are provocative, Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry spokesman Hikmat Hajiyev told APA on Sept. 25.
He said these provocations aim to impede the negotiation process.
The Armenian armed forces, in violation of its obligations under the international humanitarian law, continue purposeful actions against the civilian population. “As a result of this kind of Armenian provocation on September 23, resident of Kemerli village of Azerbaijan’s Gazakh district Esmira Dursunova was wounded.”
By stationing its firing points in and around civilian objects and making attempts to turn its civilians into a target with return fire from Azerbaijani armed forces, Armenia has chosen the inhumane tactics, the spokesman said. “The tactics, which is typical for terrorists and uses civilian targets and population as a cover, in the first place is a war crime against the citizens of Armenia,” he added.
Azerbaijan remains committed to the obligations under the Geneva conventions and additional protocols, the spokesman said. “Unlike Armenia, Azerbaijan’s obligations under the Geneva Conventions and additional protocols are an integral part of compulsory education-training program,” he noted.
Protection of civilians, helping women, children and the elderly are high moral values that belong to the people and soldiers of Azerbaijan, Hajiyev said.
The policy of ethnic cleansing against the Azerbaijani people, the genocide in Khojaly, shelling of Azerbaijani civilians along the line of contact and the Armenian-Azerbaijani border and even the military use of its own citizens as a cover and the object of provocations are an integral of the military and inhumane crimes of Armenia’s military and political leadership, he noted.
Hajiyev said that the reason for the violation of the ceasefire and the aggravation of the situation along the line of contact and the Armenian-Azerbaijani border is a continuation of the policy of aggression and occupation of Armenia against Azerbaijan.
“Armenia, as an occupying country, bears full responsibility for the continuation of aggression and occupation against Azerbaijan and the escalation of tension,” Hajiyev completed.
Related news releases
- 22.10.2016OSCE MG co-chairs expected to meet with Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs
- 22.10.2016Warlick calls for return of occupied territories to Azerbaijan’s control
- 22.10.2016Kerry committed to work on peaceful resolution of Karabakh conflict, says Warlick
- 22.10.2016Warlick: Vienna, St. Petersburg meetings opened up good opportunity for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 21.10.2016US making efforts to help settle Karabakh conflict: ambassador
- 21.10.2016Azerbaijani MFA: Nalbandian’s statement – evidence of impossibility of peaceful coexistence with fascist-minded people
- 21.10.2016OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Azerbaijan
- 21.10.2016Bayram Safarov: Soso Pavliashvili can visit Azerbaijan only after he apologizes
- 21.10.2016Azerbaijani defense minister attends int’l conference in Prague
- 21.10.2016‘Syrian Armenians to flee Karabakh at earliest opportunity’
- 21.10.2016OSCE MG co-chairs expected to meet with reps of Azerbaijani community of Nagorno-Karabakh
- 21.10.2016France changes its OSCE MG co-chair – embassy - UPDATED
- 20.10.2016Armenia continues to violate int’l humanitarian law: Azerbaijani deputy FM
- 20.10.2016Russia hails Turkey’s role in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 20.10.2016Kasprzyk: Work underway on implementation of presidential agreements on expanding PR CiO Office
- 20.10.2016Satellite images show exploitation of natural resources in occupied Azerbaijani territories: minister
- 20.10.2016Israeli researcher: Karabakh conflict is not frozen, there’s always something happening there
- 19.10.2016OIC adopts resolutions condemning Armenian aggression against Azerbaijan
- 18.10.2016Igor Popov: OSCE MG co-chairs will clarify military situation in Nagorno-Karabakh conflict zone - INTERVIEW
- 18.10.2016Ilham Aliyev: Kerry’s statement reveals why Karabakh conflict remains unsettled
- 18.10.2016Novruz Mammadov: “The frozen state of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict could at any moment lead to a hot war”
- 17.10.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan capable of destroying any enemy target
- 17.10.2016OSCE MG co-chairs to visit region this week
- 16.10.2016Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 11 times
- 15.10.2016Azerbaijani deputy PM comments on Russian presidential aide’s Karabakh statement
- 15.10.2016Horror of Khojaly comes to bastion of neutrality – Geneva
- 14.10.2016CSTO states support Vienna and St. Petersburg agreements on Karabakh conflict resolution
- 14.10.2016Ilham Aliyev: Decades-old UN resolutions on Karabakh conflict remain unfulfilled
- 14.10.2016Russian FM: Turkey can play positive role in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 14.10.2016Azerbaijan says Ushakov’s statement on Karabakh conflict surprising
- 14.10.2016Armenia launches military exercises in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 13.10.2016Putin’s aide: Moscow not optimistic about Karabakh settlement
- 12.10.2016Azerbaijani parl't vice-speaker: Psychologically vulnerable people living along contact line need assistance
- 12.10.2016FM: Turkey supports any solution that meets Azerbaijan’s interests
- 11.10.2016Azerbaijani FM reveals conditions for progress in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 11.10.2016Armenian serviceman dies in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 11.10.2016OSCE MG co-chairs to visit occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 10.10.2016FM: Karabakh conflict must be settled within Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 10.10.2016PACE president: All conflicts must be solved in line with territorial integrity principle
- 10.10.2016Russian singers’ names removed from ‘black list’ of Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry
- 26.09.2015Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs hold meeting
- 26.09.2015Ambassador: Pakistan unequivocally recognizes Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity - PHOTO
- 26.09.2015Civilian killed as Armenian armed forces use mortars on contact line
- 25.09.2015Times of Israel: Armenia reminds ISIL
- 25.09.2015OSCE MG co-chairs express concerns about use of mortars, heavy weapons in civilian areas
- 25.09.2015OSCE MG co-chairs meet with Armenian FM in New York