FM Mammadyarov: Armenia should demonstrate political will, withdraw its troops from Azerbaijani lands - INTERVIEW
Q. Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said that the parties to the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict could not come to an agreement on key aspects. What are the main issues on which the parties were unable to reach an agreement?
A. There are some issues that remain open in the negotiations with Armenia. Yesterday we held extensive discussions with Russia’s foreign minister. There were some ideas. Armenia will hold parliamentary elections on April 2. After that, we will return to the issues. There are some issues that we can not come to an agreement on. These issues are the ones previously left open. There is no new issue.
Q. Is there any meeting expected to be held at the level of ministers or presidents as to the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict?
A. A trilateral ministerial meeting will be held at the initiative of Russia. It is necessary to wait for the upcoming elections in Armenia for these meetings to yield results. This is important not to allow the politicization of the talks.
Q. What do you think of the tension that escalated at the line of contact in late February?
A. The recent escalation of the tension at the line of contact underscores the need to resolve the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and achieve progress in the negotiation process. There is a need to hold logical substantive talks. The Russian side also understands it and supports the continuation of talks. However, the matter is about Armenia’s political will. Armenia should demonstrate political will and withdraw its troops from the occupied Azerbaijani lands.
Q. This year marks the 25th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Azerbaijan and Russia. How do you assess the current state of relations between the two countries?
A. The relations between Azerbaijan and Russia stand at a high level. These relations are constantly developing. The bilateral relations are based on mutually beneficial cooperation. The cooperation between Azerbaijan and Russia is beneficial to both countries.
Related news releases
- 25.04.2018Turkish president calls for settlement of Karabakh conflict in line with int’l law
- 25.04.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 95 times
- 24.04.2018Andrew Schofer: U.S. continues to strongly support negotiated settlement to Karabakh conflict
- 24.04.2018DNA samples being taken from family members of those reported missing in Karabakh conflict – State Commission
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijan says ready to continue Karabakh talks with sensible political forces in Armenia
- 24.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 22.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 97 times
- 20.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.04.2018Karabakh conflict should be resolved through negotiations, compromises
- 19.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Jojug Marjanli has become symbol of our revival
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Let world know that not only Karabakh but also present-day Armenia is historical Azerbaijani land
- 18.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2018Prosecutor General Zakir Garalov appeals to Russian counterpart over anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Izvestia newspaper
- 16.04.2018Russian newspaper Izvestiya commits provocation against Azerbaijan
- 13.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2018Yemeni blogger apologizes for illegal trip to Karabakh, escapes Azerbaijan's "black list"
- 09.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Legal framework created for settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 09.04.2018Ariel Cohen: Sides will eventually understand importance of settling Karabakh conflict on basis of UNSC decisions
- 08.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 86 times
- 06.04.2018Italy’s OSCE Chairmanship says not keen on creating new formats for Karabakh talks
- 06.04.2018OSCE hopes meeting between Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents could soon take place
- 06.04.2018Syria’s UN envoy comments on reports on deployment of terrorists from Syria in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 06.04.2018Another ceasefire violation from Armenia
- 05.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "The main reason for the unsettledness of the Karabakh problem is that Armenia does not want to change the status quo"
- 05.04.2018Nothing being done to implement decisions on Karabakh problem – Turkish FM
- 05.04.2018Status quo in Karabakh conflict will never be accepted – FM Mammadyarov
- 05.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 04.04.2018Minsk Group format shows co-op possible for sake of European security: OSCE Sec-Gen
- 04.04.2018Azerbaijan to present note of protest to France
- 04.04.2018Former Nagorno-Karabakh commandant: ‘All illegal armed groups were disarmed during my time’
- 04.04.2018Washington Times publishes article by Azerbaijani ambassador on 25th anniversary of occupation of Kalbajar
- 04.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.04.2018Russia to grant Armenia interest-free loan for purchase of Iskander missile systems – report
- 03.04.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 02.04.2018Indian gov’t has nothing to do with exhibition organized in Khankendi – embassy
- 02.04.2018Azerbaijani MFA spokesman issues statement on occupation of Kalbajar region and April escalation of 2016
- 02.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,100 times in March
- 02.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 01.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 105 times
- 08.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 124 times
- 09.03.2017Armenian linguist joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 09.03.2017Stefan Schennach elected chair of PACE sub-committee for conflicts
- 07.03.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Azerbaijan on March 11 - EXCLUSIVE
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani FM: Talks on Karabakh conflict settlement suspended
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijan says main cause of incidents is Armenian troops’ presence in Karabakh