FM Mammadyarov: Armenia should demonstrate political will, withdraw its troops from Azerbaijani lands - INTERVIEW
Q. Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said that the parties to the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict could not come to an agreement on key aspects. What are the main issues on which the parties were unable to reach an agreement?
A. There are some issues that remain open in the negotiations with Armenia. Yesterday we held extensive discussions with Russia’s foreign minister. There were some ideas. Armenia will hold parliamentary elections on April 2. After that, we will return to the issues. There are some issues that we can not come to an agreement on. These issues are the ones previously left open. There is no new issue.
Q. Is there any meeting expected to be held at the level of ministers or presidents as to the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict?
A. A trilateral ministerial meeting will be held at the initiative of Russia. It is necessary to wait for the upcoming elections in Armenia for these meetings to yield results. This is important not to allow the politicization of the talks.
Q. What do you think of the tension that escalated at the line of contact in late February?
A. The recent escalation of the tension at the line of contact underscores the need to resolve the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and achieve progress in the negotiation process. There is a need to hold logical substantive talks. The Russian side also understands it and supports the continuation of talks. However, the matter is about Armenia’s political will. Armenia should demonstrate political will and withdraw its troops from the occupied Azerbaijani lands.
Q. This year marks the 25th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Azerbaijan and Russia. How do you assess the current state of relations between the two countries?
A. The relations between Azerbaijan and Russia stand at a high level. These relations are constantly developing. The bilateral relations are based on mutually beneficial cooperation. The cooperation between Azerbaijan and Russia is beneficial to both countries.
Related news releases
- 29.03.2017OSCE MG: Respect for ceasefire is of utmost importance for further talks on Karabakh conflict
- 29.03.2017Iran’s stance on territorial integrity of Azerbaijan remains unchanged – Embassy
- 29.03.2017GATA head joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 29.03.2017Popov: Agreement reached to expand Kasprzyk’s office
- 29.03.2017Armenia launches military drills in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 28.03.2017France is ready to host meeting between Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents on its territory
- 28.03.2017Lukashenko: Armenia, Azerbaijan should resolve Karabakh conflict without mediators
- 28.03.2017Azerbaijan expresses protest over Iranian musician’s concert in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 27.03.2017Azerbaijan appeals to OSCE MG member countries over Sargsyan’s statement
- 27.03.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Moscow
- 27.03.2017OSCE MG co-chairs, Armenian FM mull Karabakh settlement
- 27.03.2017Armenia begins excavations at mosque in occupied Shusha
- 27.03.2017Ukrainian scientist joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 26.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 118 times
- 23.03.2017Azerbaijan’s military leadership visits frontline
- 23.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 22.03.2017Armenian armed forces holding military exercises in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 21.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 143 times
- 19.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 136 times
- 18.03.2017Armenia lost hopes and lives with depression – Azerbaijani president
- 18.03.2017Colombian Senate passes decision on 25th anniversary of Khojaly genocide
- 17.03.2017Ex-presidents express support for Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 17.03.2017Cultural worker from Ukraine joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 17.03.2017PM: April battles – a victorious page of Azerbaijan’s military history
- 17.03.2017Kwasniewski: No chance of progress in Karabakh talks without implementation of UN resolutions
- 17.03.2017Former Kyrgyz PM comments on country’s refusal to sign ECO declaration
- 16.03.2017Moscow says nothing hidden in Karabakh talks
- 16.03.2017Russian political analyst joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 16.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Change in status quo means liberation of occupied Azerbaijan lands
- 15.03.2017PACE members meet with IDPs
- 15.03.2017Putin: Russia continues to assist in resolving Karabakh conflict
- 15.03.2017French president urges progress towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.03.2017Georgian professor joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 15.03.2017Books by Lithuanian authors on Armenian aggression presented in Baku
- 15.03.2017Khalaf Khalafov: Armenia encourages relocation of Syrian and Lebanese Armenians to occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 15.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity cannot be negotiated
- 15.03.2017French President: “The existing status quo in Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is unacceptable”
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijani President: “For the first stage, negotiations should be resumed as soon as possible”
- 14.03.2017Int’l conference on Karabakh conflict underway in Baku
- 08.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 124 times
- 09.03.2017Armenian linguist joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 09.03.2017Stefan Schennach elected chair of PACE sub-committee for conflicts
- 07.03.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Azerbaijan on March 11 - EXCLUSIVE
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani FM: Talks on Karabakh conflict settlement suspended
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijan says main cause of incidents is Armenian troops’ presence in Karabakh