FM Mammadyarov: Armenia should demonstrate political will, withdraw its troops from Azerbaijani lands - INTERVIEW
Q. Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said that the parties to the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict could not come to an agreement on key aspects. What are the main issues on which the parties were unable to reach an agreement?
A. There are some issues that remain open in the negotiations with Armenia. Yesterday we held extensive discussions with Russia’s foreign minister. There were some ideas. Armenia will hold parliamentary elections on April 2. After that, we will return to the issues. There are some issues that we can not come to an agreement on. These issues are the ones previously left open. There is no new issue.
Q. Is there any meeting expected to be held at the level of ministers or presidents as to the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict?
A. A trilateral ministerial meeting will be held at the initiative of Russia. It is necessary to wait for the upcoming elections in Armenia for these meetings to yield results. This is important not to allow the politicization of the talks.
Q. What do you think of the tension that escalated at the line of contact in late February?
A. The recent escalation of the tension at the line of contact underscores the need to resolve the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and achieve progress in the negotiation process. There is a need to hold logical substantive talks. The Russian side also understands it and supports the continuation of talks. However, the matter is about Armenia’s political will. Armenia should demonstrate political will and withdraw its troops from the occupied Azerbaijani lands.
Q. This year marks the 25th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Azerbaijan and Russia. How do you assess the current state of relations between the two countries?
A. The relations between Azerbaijan and Russia stand at a high level. These relations are constantly developing. The bilateral relations are based on mutually beneficial cooperation. The cooperation between Azerbaijan and Russia is beneficial to both countries.
Related news releases
- 23.07.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 23.07.201724 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Aghdam district by Armenia
- 20.07.2017U.S. Department of State: The U.S. we will not accept the results of the so-called elections in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijan says UN support for substantive talks on Karabakh settlement ‘highly appreciated’
- 20.07.2017Moscow: Place of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents’ meeting not determined
- 19.07.2017Armenian soldier wounded in landmine explosion
- 19.07.2017Armenians set fire to Azerbaijan’s occupied territories
- 19.07.2017Lukashevich: Co-chairs are not wizards, they cannot ensure desired level of security in region
- 19.07.2017Lapshin’s final statement: I feel sorry about what happened
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijan says use of water resources as a means of eco terror and pressure is state policy in Armenia
- 19.07.2017Lukashevich: OSCE MG co-chairs prepare for meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs in New York
- 19.07.2017Turkey urges Armenia to stop military provocations against Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijani FM: Specific plan should be discussed for settling Karabakh conflict
- 17.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity supported by whole world
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan says holding illegal presidential election in Nagorno-Karabakh is ‘ridiculous’
- 17.07.2017Russia to be main organizer of planned meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents
- 15.07.2017Azerbaijani MFA responds to European Parliament member who visited Nagorno-Karabakh
- 14.07.2017Armenian woman visits graves of Azerbaijani civilians killed in Alkhanli
- 14.07.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has high hopes for France’s efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijan remains committed to peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict, says defense minister
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijan capable of downing Iskander missiles – defense minister
- 13.07.2017Bahar Muradova: Armenia violated rules of war by committing military provocation in Alkhanli
- 13.07.2017Ambassador: France supports regular negotiations on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani MPs visit Armenian-shelled Alkhanli village
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president calls for soonest resumption of substantive Karabakh talks
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president: Karabakh talks resumed without any preconditions
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president: Blood of little Zahra and her grandmother avenged
- 12.07.2017Baku: Mammadyarov, Nalbandian didn’t discuss creating any mechanisms
- 12.07.2017OSCE MG proposes meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents
- 12.07.2017Russia’s Border Service edits info about exercises in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 12.07.2017Argentine senator condemns Armenia's military provocation in Azerbaijani village
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani MFA: De-escalating the conflict without withdrawing the Armenian troops from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan would not bring solution to the problem
- 12.07.2017Next meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs to take part in New York
- 11.07.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian foreign ministers starts
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan appeals to Russia in regard to holding of exercises in its occupied territories
- 11.07.2017Chilean senator condemns Armenian military provocation in Azerbaijan’s Alkhanli
- 11.07.2017MEPs criticize Armenian shelling of Azerbaijani civilians
- 11.07.2017Russian, Armenian FMs mull Karabakh peace process
- 11.07.2017Baku: Meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to focus on current state of negotiation process
- 08.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 124 times
- 09.03.2017Armenian linguist joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 09.03.2017Stefan Schennach elected chair of PACE sub-committee for conflicts
- 07.03.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Azerbaijan on March 11 - EXCLUSIVE
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani FM: Talks on Karabakh conflict settlement suspended
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijan says main cause of incidents is Armenian troops’ presence in Karabakh