FM Mammadyarov: Armenia should demonstrate political will, withdraw its troops from Azerbaijani lands - INTERVIEW
Q. Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said that the parties to the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict could not come to an agreement on key aspects. What are the main issues on which the parties were unable to reach an agreement?
A. There are some issues that remain open in the negotiations with Armenia. Yesterday we held extensive discussions with Russia’s foreign minister. There were some ideas. Armenia will hold parliamentary elections on April 2. After that, we will return to the issues. There are some issues that we can not come to an agreement on. These issues are the ones previously left open. There is no new issue.
Q. Is there any meeting expected to be held at the level of ministers or presidents as to the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict?
A. A trilateral ministerial meeting will be held at the initiative of Russia. It is necessary to wait for the upcoming elections in Armenia for these meetings to yield results. This is important not to allow the politicization of the talks.
Q. What do you think of the tension that escalated at the line of contact in late February?
A. The recent escalation of the tension at the line of contact underscores the need to resolve the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and achieve progress in the negotiation process. There is a need to hold logical substantive talks. The Russian side also understands it and supports the continuation of talks. However, the matter is about Armenia’s political will. Armenia should demonstrate political will and withdraw its troops from the occupied Azerbaijani lands.
Q. This year marks the 25th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Azerbaijan and Russia. How do you assess the current state of relations between the two countries?
A. The relations between Azerbaijan and Russia stand at a high level. These relations are constantly developing. The bilateral relations are based on mutually beneficial cooperation. The cooperation between Azerbaijan and Russia is beneficial to both countries.
Related news releases
- 21.01.2018Defense Ministry: News report spread by Armenian media has no basis
- 21.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 120 times
- 18.01.2018The OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs issue joint statement on the meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs
- 18.01.2018The OSCE MG Co-Chairs will visit the region in early February
- 18.01.2018Elmar Mammadyarov: "The co-chairs proposed a number of creative ideas about the resolution of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 18.01.2018Krakow meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs ends - UPDATED
- 18.01.2018Meeting between Azerbaijani FM, OSCE MG co-chairs kicks off in Krakow
- 18.01.2018Armenia soldier receives gunshot wound
- 18.01.2018Armenian FM meets with OSCE MG co-chairs in Poland
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Krakow today
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan welcomes UN chief’s call for revitalizing mediation initiatives for Karabakh conflict
- 17.01.2018ICG reveals some issues to be discussed at upcoming meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijani FM: France should prevent entry of Karabakh separatists into its territory
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Krakow
- 15.01.2018MFA: Azerbaijan welcomes the statement of Sergey Lavrov on step by step resolution of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 15.01.2018Moscow says step by step approach needed for Karabakh settlement
- 15.01.2018Russian FM: Karabakh conflict can be resolved only by Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 14.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 126 times
- 13.01.2018EU hails Italy’s commitment to continue strengthening OSCE work to address Karabakh conflict through existing format
- 13.01.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.01.2018Andrzej Kasprzyk reappointed as OSCE Chairman-in-Office Personal Representative
- 12.01.2018U.S. says hopeful signs from Geneva meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents should be taken into account
- 11.01.2018FM: Italy to support OSCE MG efforts for Karabakh settlement
- 11.01.2018Department of State urges Americans to avoid traveling to Nagorno-Karabakh
- 10.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: World community recognizes Nagorno-Karabakh as integral part of Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018ICRC visits Armenian saboteurs detained in Azerbaijan
- 08.01.2018Armenian soldier killed in retaliation by Azerbaijani army
- 07.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 119 times
- 02.01.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 31.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 140 times
- 29.12.2017Armenian parliament vice-speaker shows political illiteracy in every statement – Azerbaijani MFA
- 29.12.2017Date set for next meeting of Sub-Committee on Conflicts between Council of Europe member states
- 28.12.2017Baku: Expansion of Kasprzyk’s office should be conducted in parallel with substantive Karabakh talks
- 28.12.2017Baku says there was revival in Karabakh talks in second half of 2017
- 28.12.2017Baku: Issue of Azerbaijanis held hostage by Armenia discussed with Russia, OSCE and ICRC
- 28.12.201726 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Khankendi
- 27.12.2017Russia welcomes activation of negotiation process on Karabakh settlement – deputy FM
- 26.12.2017Azerbaijan removes Russian photographer from “black list”
- 25.12.2017Rafael Isakhanian removed as co-chair and member of Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform
- 24.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 139 times
- 08.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 124 times
- 09.03.2017Armenian linguist joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 09.03.2017Stefan Schennach elected chair of PACE sub-committee for conflicts
- 07.03.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Azerbaijan on March 11 - EXCLUSIVE
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani FM: Talks on Karabakh conflict settlement suspended
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijan says main cause of incidents is Armenian troops’ presence in Karabakh