FM: Latvia concerned over aggravation of situation in Nagorno-Karabakh
Latvia is concerned over the aggravation of the situation in Nagorno-Karabakh, said Latvian Foreign Minister Edgars Rinkevics.
“We understand the complexity of the situation in Nagorno-Karabakh. We are concerned about the reports of the escalating situation in Nagorno-Karabakh,” he said.
The Latvian minister stressed the need to find a negotiated solution to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
Latvia is committed to the principle of territorial integrity and supports the negotiation process mediated by the OSCE Minsk Group, said Rinkevics.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 19.02.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 37 times
- 18.02.2017Member of Parliament Armen Shaharyants joins to «Armenia Azerbaijan Peace Platform»
- 18.02.2017Turkish Foreign Ministry: "Referendum" in so-called “Nagorno Karabakh Republic” will not be recognized by Turkey
- 17.02.2017EU does not recognize “referendum” in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 17.02.2017Ukrainian embassy: Any referendum in Azerbaijan can only be held under national legislation
- 17.02.2017Iran against “referendum” in Nagorno-Karabakh – embassy
- 17.02.2017Event titled ‘From Garadaghli to Khojaly’ held in Baku
- 17.02.2017Armenian soldier dies in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 17.02.2017Garadaghli massacre anniversary commemorated in Azerbaijani district
- 17.02.2017Chairman of Hellenic Azerbaijani Youth Center joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 17.02.2017OIC secretary general commemorates Khojaly Massacre
- 17.02.2017France doesn’t recognize Nagorno-Karabakh independence, says ambassador
- 17.02.2017Moscow comments on planned “referendum” in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 17.02.2017Turkey, Ukraine, Georgia call planned “referendum” in Karabakh illegal
- 17.02.2017OSCE MG co-chairs plan to visit region in March
- 17.02.2017The Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group plan to travel to the region in March
- 17.02.2017Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group release joint statement
- 17.02.2017Azerbaijani FM meets with OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- 17.02.2017Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs meet in Munich
- 17.02.2017Azerbaijan commemorates Garadaghli massacre anniversary
- 16.02.2017Zeynab Khanlarova joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 16.02.2017Karabakh conflict – major threat to regional stability: Azerbaijani defense minister
- 16.02.2017“Referendum” in occupied Azerbaijan lands – another provocation of Yerevan
- 15.02.2017Elman Nasirov: US takes double-standard approach to conflicts in post-Soviet area
- 15.02.2017ICRC visits Azerbaijani citizen Elnur Huseynzade detained in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 15.02.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform coordinators meet representatives of European Partnership Consortium
- 15.02.2017Russian ambassador stresses need to deal with Karabakh settlement more seriously
- 15.02.2017PEN-club of Azerbaijan expresses support to Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 15.02.2017Azerbaijani deputy PM criticizes diplomats who refused to visit liberated Jojug Marjanli
- 15.02.2017Azerbaijan soon to start construction of new settlement in liberated village
- 15.02.2017Australian senator addresses parliament on Khojaly tragedy
- 15.02.2017Foreign diplomats, heads of int'l organizations visit Azerbaijan’s liberated village - UPDATED
- 15.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev gives instructions to provide Azerbaijani national hero’s family with housing
- 15.02.2017Azerbaijani FM, OSCE MG co-chairs to meet in Munich
- 15.02.2017Russian, Armenian FMs to discuss Karabakh settlement
- 12.02.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 20 times
- 11.02.201725 years pass since occupation of Malibeyli, Gushchular villages of Azerbaijan’s Shusha
- 10.02.2017Azerbaijan allocates funds for construction of road leading to liberated Jojug Marjanli
- 10.02.2017President of Gud "Filigran" joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 10.02.2017Russia to continue efforts to bring closer positions of Armenia, Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2017Large number of ammunition found in liberated Jojug Marjanli
- 14.02.2017French ambassador: Co-chairs spare no efforts to create conditions for resuming discourse
- 14.02.2017"Referendum” in occupied Azerbaijani territories has no legal effect: MFA
- 13.02.2017Chairman of Slovakian youth organization joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 13.02.2017Azerbaijan instructs construction companies to timely complete the work in liberated Jojug Marjanli
- 12.02.2017Azerbaijani serviceman killed during Armenian provocation