Doctor of Historical Sciences Inanj Atilgan joins to Armenia Azerbaijan Peace Platform
Doctor of Historical Sciences Inanj Atilgan has joined the Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform.
APA presents the statement made by Atilgan in this respect.
“Acknowledging the importance of the peaceful resolution of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, reiterating the respect and support to the territorial integrity and sovereignty of the Republic of Azerbaijan and the Republic of Armenia and the internationally recognized borders of both states, recognizing the importance to implement the relevant resolutions adopted by the UN Security Council and resolutions and decisions of other international organizations on the settlement of the conflict, underlining the importance and expressing the support for the OSCE Minsk Group efforts on the conflict resolution, referring to the long tradition of coexistence of the people of Armenia and Azerbaijan, stressing with regret that perceptions of new generations growing in both countries towards each other are formed only in the context of war as a result of unsettlement of the conflict, supporting the idea of peaceful coexistence of nations and the settlement of the protracted conflicts. For that reason I express my support for this initiative and join the Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform which is aimed at contributing to the peaceful resolution of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.”
For the purposes of contributing to a peaceful settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, the Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform was established on December 6, 2016. The Platform is an initiative of the citizens of Azerbaijan and Armenia who wish to contribute to the peaceful settlement of the conflict.
The initiative on the creation of the Platform has generated the interest of the international community as well as attracted the high level of public attention in both conflicting states. A large number of well-known experts highly appreciated this initiative and stressed the very special role of the above-mentioned peacekeeping initiative in the process of the peaceful settlement of the conflict.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 28.04.2017Elmar Mammadyarov commented on Foreign Ministers' Moscow meeting on Nagorno-Karabakh - EXCLUSIVE
- 28.04.2017Baku: Results of Moscow talks will be reported to presidents
- 28.04.2017Baku-born Armenian Erik Khachaturov visits office of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 28.04.2017Russian, Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs discuss Karabakh conflict - STATEMENT
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijan to blacklist foreign musicians for illegally visiting Karabakh
- 27.04.2017Russian, Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet behind closed doors
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan: 179 unknown martyrs’ graves found in recent years
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia’s plan to hold int’l conference in Nagorno-Karabakh is another provocation
- 27.04.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to join meeting of Russian, Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs
- 27.04.2017Chair of Moldovan section of Int’l Human Rights Society joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 27.04.2017Italian ambassador: Karabakh conflict - region’s biggest problem
- 27.04.2017Florans Manjen: "Settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is a priority for France"
- 26.04.2017Russia delivers a new batch of modern weapons and military equipment to Azerbaijan
- 26.04.2017FM Mammadyarov to join tripartite meeting in Moscow – Foreign Ministry
- 26.04.2017Co-chairs meet with full Minsk Group in Vienna
- 26.04.2017Moscow: Russian, Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs to meet on April 28
- 25.04.2017Armenian soldier killed in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 25.04.2017French presidential candidate vows to make ‘every effort’ to resolve Karabakh conflict
- 25.04.2017Lavrov: Moscow sees OSCE’s desire to help resolve Karabakh conflict
- 25.04.2017The Independent’s article distorts situation in region: Azerbaijani MFA
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani army eliminates Armenian soldier who violated ceasefire
- 25.04.2017Hollande: No military solution to Karabakh conflict
- 24.04.2017‘Peace Ambassador’ of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform from Poland appointed
- 24.04.2017Foreign doctors to examine Azerbaijanis held hostage by Armenians: State Commission
- 23.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 114 times
- 21.04.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform, NGO “The Caucasus Interface” agree upon cooperation
- 21.04.2017Russian, Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs likely to meet on April 27
- 20.04.2017Polish health worker joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 20.04.2017Kamran Imanov: To justify its territorial claims, Armenia continues appropriation of Azerbaijan’s cultural heritage
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan pleased with stance of Muslim countries on Karabakh conflict – PA official
- 19.04.2017Russian, Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs may meet in Moscow
- 19.04.2017Associate Professor of Belarusian State University joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijan to blacklist foreign companies operating illegally in its occupied territories
- 18.04.2017Russian Orthodox Church comments on CMO’s Khojaly appeal
- 17.04.2017Chairman of Association for Polish-Azerbaijani Cooperation joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 17.04.2017Head of Israeli Research Center joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 16.04.2017Azerbaijan Defense Minister met with Secretary of the Supreme National Security Council of Iran
- 16.04.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 120 times
- 14.04.2017Grandson of Armenian Drama Theater founder joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 13.04.2017Moldovan political analyst joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 02.03.2017French lawyer initiates Khojaly Genocide petition
- 02.03.2017ECO: Karabakh conflict hinders region’s economic growth
- 02.03.2017Vogue embraces the Leonie Mergen Karabakh-Collection
- 02.03.2017US envoy: Karabakh conflict settlement to bring stability, prosperity to Azerbaijan and region
- 02.03.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform meets with EU Delegation to Azerbaijan
- 01.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "Armenia must comply with resolutions or face sanctions"