Conference on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict underway in Tbilisi
A conference, titled “Peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and a new mission of civil society,” kicked off in Tbilisi on Oct. 31.
The conference, co-organized by the Georgian-based International Center of Caucasus Geohistory and Geopolitical Studies and the Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform, brought together representatives of civil society, international and religious organizations, politicians and diplomats, an APA correspondent reported from Tbilisi.
Addressing the event, President of the International Center of Caucasus Geohistory and Geopolitical Studies Guram Markhulia said that the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is a matter of concern for the entire Caucasus region.
He stressed the importance of establishing dialogue for a peaceful settlement of the conflict.
“Civil society has a great role in this issue. Civil societies of Azerbaijan and Armenia expressed willingness for a dialogue and we hope that this format will be sustainable,” added Markhulia.
Professor of the Baku State University, Doctor of Law Kamil Salimov spoke about the goals of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform.
“Thirty years have passed since the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict began. The OSCE Minsk Group has been operating for 27 years. Any peace talks are welcomed. Civil society, in its turn, should make positive contributions to these negotiations,” he said.
Salimov said that it is time to put an end to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, outlining that "the peaceful, realistic, sustainable resolution of the conflict can only be possible with the participation of civil society".
Historian Artur Aghajanov, who originally comes from Nagorno-Karabakh, said in his speech at the conference that all efforts should be made to reach a solution to the conflict.
"We should not believe that the Minsk Group alone will be able to resolve the conflict. The Group's member countries are dealing with their own domestic problems. Only Azerbaijan and Armenia themselves can resolve the conflict peacefully. The conflict has taken too long and several generations have grown. It's time to end the conflict,” added.
According to him, the Minsk Group has not achieved any visible results in the negotiations. "We urge the Minsk Group to work more activate actively,” said the historian.
- 20.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 97 times
- 19.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Large part of present-day Armenia is historical Azerbaijani land
- 18.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 117 times
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani PM: Armenia continues its non-constructive position, tries to protract Karabakh conflict
- 16.03.2018FM: Karabakh talks to be intensified after elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 15.03.2018Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijanis must return to their ancestral lands, Armenians must live there together with them
- 15.03.2018World unwilling to resolve Karabakh problem: Turkey’s ex-FM
- 15.03.2018Turkey, Azerbaijan cooperate on regional issues, counterterrorism – PM
- 15.03.2018Former EU special rep: After me, there’s been no substantial change in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.03.2018Russian MFA comments on US visit of Karabakh separatists’ leader
- 15.03.2018Zakharova: "Artsakh Republic" has no representation in Moscow
- 15.03.2018UK supports OSCE Minsk Group efforts to resolve Karabakh conflict - envoy
- 15.03.2018Status quo in Karabakh conflict ‘unacceptable’ – Azerbaijani president
- 14.03.2018The next ceasefire monitoring exercise will be conducted on the Line of Contact of the armed forces of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 14.03.2018UN, OSCE and all nations recognize Azerbaijan’s fair position on Nagorno-Karabakh issue – Turkish PM
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijan’s damage from Armenian occupation surpasses $818 billion
- 13.03.2018Romania committed to continuous development of partnership with Azerbaijan - MP
- 13.03.2018OSCE PA says there are shortcomings in protracted conflicts
- 12.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 106 times
- 10.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 110 times
- 08.03.2018Azerbaijani Permanent Mission to the OSCE clarifies allegations surfaced in the Armenian media
- 07.03.2018Russian presidential hopeful talks about possible solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 06.03.2018CSTO not to support Karabakh separatists in case of war
- 06.03.2018UNICEF says death of children in ceasefire violations ‘unacceptable’
- 06.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.03.2018FM Mammadyarov: Karabakh peace talks to be intensified after elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 05.03.2018Spanish edition of Los Angeles Times: Armenia has committed genocide against Azerbaijani people in Khojaly
- 04.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 98 times
- 02.03.2018Moscow sees no need for separatist Karabakh regime’s involvement in negotiation process
- 02.03.2018Baku says Nalbandian tries to justify Armenia’s failed foreign policy for internal audience
- 01.03.2018Azerbaijani diplomat responds to Armenian FM’s statement in UN
- 01.03.2018Secretary General: "The UN supports the efforts of the OSCE Minsk Group on the peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 28.02.2018Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,400 times in February
- 27.02.2018Baku sees no alternative to peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict – FM
- 27.02.2018Azerbaijani FM: Those responsible for Khojaly genocide still enjoy impunity
- 27.02.2018Requiem concert dedicated to Khojaly genocide held in Amsterdam
- 26.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev was interviewed by Rossiya-24 correspondent
- 26.02.2018Russian lawmaker urges world community to condemn Khojaly genocide
- 31.10.2017Azerbaijan hands note to Mexico over MPs’ illegal visit to Nagorno-Karabakh
- 31.10.2017Bosnia and Herzegovina MP: Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform – a step forward
- 31.10.2017Armenian activist: Azerbaijanis, Armenians can coexist peacefully
- 31.10.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform asks Pope Francis for support for Karabakh settlement
- 31.10.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform appeals to OSCE MG co-chairs
- 31.10.2017Peace Platform asks Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents for support