Conference on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict underway in Tbilisi
A conference, titled “Peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and a new mission of civil society,” kicked off in Tbilisi on Oct. 31.
The conference, co-organized by the Georgian-based International Center of Caucasus Geohistory and Geopolitical Studies and the Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform, brought together representatives of civil society, international and religious organizations, politicians and diplomats, an APA correspondent reported from Tbilisi.
Addressing the event, President of the International Center of Caucasus Geohistory and Geopolitical Studies Guram Markhulia said that the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is a matter of concern for the entire Caucasus region.
He stressed the importance of establishing dialogue for a peaceful settlement of the conflict.
“Civil society has a great role in this issue. Civil societies of Azerbaijan and Armenia expressed willingness for a dialogue and we hope that this format will be sustainable,” added Markhulia.
Professor of the Baku State University, Doctor of Law Kamil Salimov spoke about the goals of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform.
“Thirty years have passed since the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict began. The OSCE Minsk Group has been operating for 27 years. Any peace talks are welcomed. Civil society, in its turn, should make positive contributions to these negotiations,” he said.
Salimov said that it is time to put an end to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, outlining that "the peaceful, realistic, sustainable resolution of the conflict can only be possible with the participation of civil society".
Historian Artur Aghajanov, who originally comes from Nagorno-Karabakh, said in his speech at the conference that all efforts should be made to reach a solution to the conflict.
"We should not believe that the Minsk Group alone will be able to resolve the conflict. The Group's member countries are dealing with their own domestic problems. Only Azerbaijan and Armenia themselves can resolve the conflict peacefully. The conflict has taken too long and several generations have grown. It's time to end the conflict,” added.
According to him, the Minsk Group has not achieved any visible results in the negotiations. "We urge the Minsk Group to work more activate actively,” said the historian.
- 18.01.2018The OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs issue joint statement on the meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs
- 18.01.2018The OSCE MG Co-Chairs will visit the region in early February
- 18.01.2018Elmar Mammadyarov: "The co-chairs proposed a number of creative ideas about the resolution of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 18.01.2018Krakow meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs ends - UPDATED
- 18.01.2018Meeting between Azerbaijani FM, OSCE MG co-chairs kicks off in Krakow
- 18.01.2018Armenia soldier receives gunshot wound
- 18.01.2018Armenian FM meets with OSCE MG co-chairs in Poland
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Krakow today
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan welcomes UN chief’s call for revitalizing mediation initiatives for Karabakh conflict
- 17.01.2018ICG reveals some issues to be discussed at upcoming meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijani FM: France should prevent entry of Karabakh separatists into its territory
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Krakow
- 15.01.2018MFA: Azerbaijan welcomes the statement of Sergey Lavrov on step by step resolution of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 15.01.2018Moscow says step by step approach needed for Karabakh settlement
- 15.01.2018Russian FM: Karabakh conflict can be resolved only by Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 14.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 126 times
- 13.01.2018EU hails Italy’s commitment to continue strengthening OSCE work to address Karabakh conflict through existing format
- 13.01.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.01.2018Andrzej Kasprzyk reappointed as OSCE Chairman-in-Office Personal Representative
- 12.01.2018U.S. says hopeful signs from Geneva meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents should be taken into account
- 11.01.2018FM: Italy to support OSCE MG efforts for Karabakh settlement
- 11.01.2018Department of State urges Americans to avoid traveling to Nagorno-Karabakh
- 10.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: World community recognizes Nagorno-Karabakh as integral part of Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018ICRC visits Armenian saboteurs detained in Azerbaijan
- 08.01.2018Armenian soldier killed in retaliation by Azerbaijani army
- 07.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 119 times
- 02.01.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 31.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 140 times
- 29.12.2017Armenian parliament vice-speaker shows political illiteracy in every statement – Azerbaijani MFA
- 29.12.2017Date set for next meeting of Sub-Committee on Conflicts between Council of Europe member states
- 28.12.2017Baku: Expansion of Kasprzyk’s office should be conducted in parallel with substantive Karabakh talks
- 28.12.2017Baku says there was revival in Karabakh talks in second half of 2017
- 28.12.2017Baku: Issue of Azerbaijanis held hostage by Armenia discussed with Russia, OSCE and ICRC
- 28.12.201726 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Khankendi
- 27.12.2017Russia welcomes activation of negotiation process on Karabakh settlement – deputy FM
- 26.12.2017Azerbaijan removes Russian photographer from “black list”
- 25.12.2017Rafael Isakhanian removed as co-chair and member of Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform
- 24.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 139 times
- 23.12.2017Rapprochement of Russia, Iran, Turkey can contribute to resolve Karabakh conflict – Russian political scientist
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani official: EaP summit declaration’s provision on territorial integrity and sovereignty is of great importance
- 31.10.2017Azerbaijan hands note to Mexico over MPs’ illegal visit to Nagorno-Karabakh
- 31.10.2017Bosnia and Herzegovina MP: Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform – a step forward
- 31.10.2017Armenian activist: Azerbaijanis, Armenians can coexist peacefully
- 31.10.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform asks Pope Francis for support for Karabakh settlement
- 31.10.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform appeals to OSCE MG co-chairs
- 31.10.2017Peace Platform asks Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents for support