Conference on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict underway in Tbilisi
A conference, titled “Peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and a new mission of civil society,” kicked off in Tbilisi on Oct. 31.
The conference, co-organized by the Georgian-based International Center of Caucasus Geohistory and Geopolitical Studies and the Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform, brought together representatives of civil society, international and religious organizations, politicians and diplomats, an APA correspondent reported from Tbilisi.
Addressing the event, President of the International Center of Caucasus Geohistory and Geopolitical Studies Guram Markhulia said that the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is a matter of concern for the entire Caucasus region.
He stressed the importance of establishing dialogue for a peaceful settlement of the conflict.
“Civil society has a great role in this issue. Civil societies of Azerbaijan and Armenia expressed willingness for a dialogue and we hope that this format will be sustainable,” added Markhulia.
Professor of the Baku State University, Doctor of Law Kamil Salimov spoke about the goals of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform.
“Thirty years have passed since the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict began. The OSCE Minsk Group has been operating for 27 years. Any peace talks are welcomed. Civil society, in its turn, should make positive contributions to these negotiations,” he said.
Salimov said that it is time to put an end to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, outlining that "the peaceful, realistic, sustainable resolution of the conflict can only be possible with the participation of civil society".
Historian Artur Aghajanov, who originally comes from Nagorno-Karabakh, said in his speech at the conference that all efforts should be made to reach a solution to the conflict.
"We should not believe that the Minsk Group alone will be able to resolve the conflict. The Group's member countries are dealing with their own domestic problems. Only Azerbaijan and Armenia themselves can resolve the conflict peacefully. The conflict has taken too long and several generations have grown. It's time to end the conflict,” added.
According to him, the Minsk Group has not achieved any visible results in the negotiations. "We urge the Minsk Group to work more activate actively,” said the historian.
- 17.06.2018News about the alleged flights of "fighter aircraft" of Armenia over Khankendi – the next information adventurism of the enemy
- 17.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 83 times
- 15.06.2018Zakharova: Creating favorable atmosphere key to resolving Karabakh conflict
- 15.06.2018Kremlin: Too early to talk about further Aliyev-Pashinyan meetings
- 15.06.2018Separatist Nagorno-Karabakh regime's ex-minister of defense released
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in near future: OSCE MG co-chairs
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani official calls Armenian president’s visit to Nagorno-Karabakh illegal
- 13.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The visit of the Armenian president to the Kalbajar region is a provocation"
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs meet Armenian PM
- 13.06.2018Armenian president visits occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs arrive in Armenia
- 12.06.2018MFA: Azerbaijan to keep increasing its defense capability as long as Armenia continues occupation policy
- 11.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The statements of the Armenian FM confirm that Armenia is a party to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 10.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 144 times
- 09.06.2018MEP: I and my group will never pay illegal visit to Nagorno Karabakh
- 09.06.2018MP: Liberation of occupied lands in Nakhchivan is triumph of Azerbaijani president’s policy
- 09.06.2018Ilham Aliyev: I hope ACRE will adequately assess fact of occupation of Azerbaijani lands
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani Army liberated over 11 thousand hectares of land in Nakhchivan
- 08.06.2018OSCE representatives visit Tartar district executive authority
- 07.06.2018Russian FM responds to Armenian PM’s idea that Nagorno-Karabakh should join negotiations as a party
- 07.06.2018Russia says will continue to help sides find solution to Karabakh conflict
- 07.06.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry responds to Armenian PM’s statement
- 07.06.2018Popov: OSCE MG co-chairs’ planned visit to Armenia aims to hold talks with new gov’t
- 07.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "I hope that the new leadership of Armenia will not repeat the mistakes of the previous government"
- 06.06.2018Australian Senate expresses support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 05.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Armenia on June 13
- 03.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 82 times
- 01.06.2018Russian Foreign Ministry considers Pashinyan’s statement on settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict unconstructive
- 01.06.2018Oettinger: Karabakh conflict settlement ‘impossible’ without Russia
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev and Nikol Pashinyan can meet in coming weeks – Armenian FM
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Destruction of Azerbaijan’s historical, religious monuments by Armenia is unprecedented vandalism
- 30.05.2018Nagorno-Karabakh conflict to be discussed at OSCE PA session
- 29.05.2018Baku: Armenian soldiers' shooting at Azerbaijani civilians shows inadmissibility of status quo
- 29.05.2018Agricultural machinery in Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli hit by multiple bullets during Armenian shelling
- 28.05.2018President: Only way for Nagorno Karabakh conflict settlement is restoration of Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 28.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani army among world's 50 strongest armies
- 27.05.2018Azerbaijani, French FMs discuss Karabakh conflict settlement
- 27.05.2018French FM: France helping to find a peaceful resolution of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 27.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 86 times
- 27.05.2018Azerbaijani President: "The main issue of our foreign policy is the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 31.10.2017Azerbaijan hands note to Mexico over MPs’ illegal visit to Nagorno-Karabakh
- 31.10.2017Bosnia and Herzegovina MP: Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform – a step forward
- 31.10.2017Armenian activist: Azerbaijanis, Armenians can coexist peacefully
- 31.10.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform asks Pope Francis for support for Karabakh settlement
- 31.10.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform appeals to OSCE MG co-chairs
- 31.10.2017Peace Platform asks Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents for support