OSCE MG co-chairs plan to visit region in March
The OSCE Minsk Group (MG) co-chairs plan to visit the region in March this year, read a statement made the co-chairs on the outcomes of the meetings they held separately and jointly with Azerbaijani and Armenian foreign ministers in Munich, APA reported.
“The co-chairs are aware that a so-called constitutional referendum is scheduled to take place in Nagorno-Karabakh on February 20, 2017,” said the statement.
“Although the co-chairs note that the de-facto Nagorno-Karabakh authorities view the use of such a procedure as an effort to organize the public life of their population, they underscore again that no countries, including Armenia and Azerbaijan, recognize Nagorno-Karabakh as an independent and sovereign state,” said the statement. “Accordingly, the co-chairs do not accept the results of the referendum on February 20 as affecting the legal status of Nagorno-Karabakh.”
The co-chairs also stressed that the results in no way prejudge the final status of Nagorno-Karabakh or the outcome of the ongoing negotiations to bring a lasting and peaceful settlement to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
The co-chairs added that they plan to travel to the region in March this region.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 30.03.2017Tunisian Organization "Women For Sustainable Development" joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 30.03.2017Moscow: No information about Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs’ meeting
- 30.03.2017Russia Foreign Ministry to make statement on anniversary of April escalation in Karabakh
- 30.03.2017Author of Switzerland’s Universal Code of Ethic joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 29.03.2017OSCE MG: Respect for ceasefire is of utmost importance for further talks on Karabakh conflict
- 29.03.2017Iran’s stance on territorial integrity of Azerbaijan remains unchanged – Embassy
- 29.03.2017GATA head joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 29.03.2017Historian scholar from Uzbekistan joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 29.03.2017Popov: Agreement reached to expand Kasprzyk’s office
- 29.03.2017Armenia launches military drills in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 28.03.2017France is ready to host meeting between Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents on its territory
- 28.03.2017Lukashenko: Armenia, Azerbaijan should resolve Karabakh conflict without mediators
- 28.03.2017Azerbaijan expresses protest over Iranian musician’s concert in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 27.03.2017Azerbaijan appeals to OSCE MG member countries over Sargsyan’s statement
- 27.03.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Moscow
- 27.03.2017OSCE MG co-chairs, Armenian FM mull Karabakh settlement
- 27.03.2017Armenia begins excavations at mosque in occupied Shusha
- 27.03.2017Ukrainian scientist joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 26.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 118 times
- 23.03.2017Azerbaijan’s military leadership visits frontline
- 23.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 22.03.2017Armenian armed forces holding military exercises in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 21.03.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 143 times
- 19.03.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 136 times
- 18.03.2017Armenia lost hopes and lives with depression – Azerbaijani president
- 18.03.2017Colombian Senate passes decision on 25th anniversary of Khojaly genocide
- 17.03.2017Ex-presidents express support for Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 17.03.2017Cultural worker from Ukraine joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 17.03.2017PM: April battles – a victorious page of Azerbaijan’s military history
- 17.03.2017Kwasniewski: No chance of progress in Karabakh talks without implementation of UN resolutions
- 17.03.2017Former Kyrgyz PM comments on country’s refusal to sign ECO declaration
- 16.03.2017Moscow says nothing hidden in Karabakh talks
- 16.03.2017Russian political analyst joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 16.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Change in status quo means liberation of occupied Azerbaijan lands
- 15.03.2017PACE members meet with IDPs
- 15.03.2017Putin: Russia continues to assist in resolving Karabakh conflict
- 15.03.2017French president urges progress towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.03.2017Georgian professor joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 15.03.2017Books by Lithuanian authors on Armenian aggression presented in Baku
- 17.02.2017Turkey, Ukraine, Georgia call planned “referendum” in Karabakh illegal
- 17.02.2017Moscow comments on planned “referendum” in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 17.02.2017France doesn’t recognize Nagorno-Karabakh independence, says ambassador
- 17.02.2017The Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group plan to travel to the region in March
- 17.02.2017Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group release joint statement
- 17.02.2017Azerbaijani FM meets with OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs