Baku reacts to statement Armenian FM voiced at joint press conference with Russian counterpart
As can be seen, Armenia is seriously concerned by the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs holding the substantive and intensive negotiations following the meeting of the Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents in Geneva on October 16, Hikmat Hajiyev, spokesman for the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry, told APA.
Hajiyev was commenting on the statement Armenian Foreign Minister Edward Nalbandian made during at joint press conference with his Russian counterpart Sergey Lavrov.
“Always imitating the negotiations and attempting to divert the attention from the main target by means of technical and secondary issues, Edward Nalbandian has chosen to resort to a variety of pretexts and lies,” noted the spokesman.
“According to the document of March 23, 1995 on the mandate of the OSCE Minsk Group, the co-chairs shall rely on the relevant resolutions of the UN Security Council, the decisions of the OSCE Budapest summit, and the Helsinki Final Act,” said Hajiyev, stressing that ignoring the requirements of the relevant UN Security Council resolutions is tantamount to denying the mandate of the Minsk Group co-chairs.
He also pointed to the document adopted at the Budapest Summit of 1994 at the level of the heads of state and government of the participating countries.
“The document says ‘they [the heads of state and government of the OSCE member states, including the United States, France and Russia], affirming their commitments to the relevant resolutions of the UN Security Council, calls on the parties to the conflict to engage in intensified substantive negotiations and to continue in a hasty manner the negotiations in order to conclude a political agreement on the cessation of the armed conflict,’” added Hajiyev.
The spokesman stressed that UN Security Council’s Resolutions 822 (1993), 583 (1993), 874 (1993) and 884 (1993) on the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is a legal framework that forms the basis for a political settlement of the conflict on the basis of international law.
These resolutions condemn the occupation of Azerbaijani territories, underscore the inadmissibility of seizure of territories by force, reaffirm the territorial integrity, sovereignty and inviolability of borders of Azerbaijan, and demand an immediate, complete and unconditional withdrawal of the occupying forces from Azerbaijani lands, said Hajiyev.
“There is no deadline for these resolutions, and they continue to be in force until they are implemented,” said the spokesman, warning that no state is allowed to distort or belittle the role of UNSC resolutions.
Hajiyev also said that UNSC Resolution 874 welcomes the "Adjusted timetable of urgent steps to implement Security Council’s Resolutions 822 and 853" submitted by all members of the OSCE Minsk Group. “Adopted on the basis of the mandate of UNSC Resolution 853, this document calls for a phased withdrawal of Armenian troops from Azerbaijan’s occupied territories on a definite schedule,” he added.
Hajiyev also cited UN Secretary-General's statement No SG/SM/ 5469, of October 31, 1994.
“According to this statement, the UN’s position is based on four principles that are reflected in various resolutions of the UN Security Council. The first principle is the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan while the others are the inviolability of international borders, the inadmissibility of the use of force to seize territories and an immediate and unconditional withdrawal of all foreign troops from the occupied Azerbaijani territories,” he said adding that Armenia still ignores these requirements.
The Foreign Ministry official accused the Armenian foreign minister of distorting the essence of the Aquila, Muscoca, Deauville, Los Cabos and Enniskillen statements of heads of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairing countries, which were prepared on the basis of the Helsinki Final Act.
“It’s known to everyone how the Armenian foreign minister protested and made contradictory statements after the US co-chair of the Minsk Group, in August 2017, listed the principles of the conflict’s resolution agreed upon with other co-chairs on the basis of the abovementioned statements,” he reminded.
He noted that Azerbaijan presents real facts based on UN Security Council resolutions, the norms and principles of international law.
“Regardless of Armenia's will, the international community supports the fair and international law-based position of Azerbaijan. Negotiations are being conducted on this basis to achieve the soonest settlement of the conflict and ensure sustainable peace in the region,” added the spokesman.
Hajiyev urged Armenia to understand the reality and put an end to the “ostrich policy”.
“Everyone should know that Azerbaijan will fully ensure its territorial integrity and sovereignty within its internationally recognized borders,” he concluded.
Related news releases
- 19.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Large part of today's Armenia is historical Azerbaijani lands
- 18.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 117 times
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani PM: Armenia continues its non-constructive position, tries to protract Karabakh conflict
- 16.03.2018FM: Karabakh talks to be intensified after elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 15.03.2018Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijanis must return to their ancestral lands, Armenians must live there together with them
- 15.03.2018World unwilling to resolve Karabakh problem: Turkey’s ex-FM
- 15.03.2018Turkey, Azerbaijan cooperate on regional issues, counterterrorism – PM
- 15.03.2018Former EU special rep: After me, there’s been no substantial change in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.03.2018Russian MFA comments on US visit of Karabakh separatists’ leader
- 15.03.2018Zakharova: "Artsakh Republic" has no representation in Moscow
- 15.03.2018UK supports OSCE Minsk Group efforts to resolve Karabakh conflict - envoy
- 15.03.2018Status quo in Karabakh conflict ‘unacceptable’ – Azerbaijani president
- 14.03.2018The next ceasefire monitoring exercise will be conducted on the Line of Contact of the armed forces of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 14.03.2018UN, OSCE and all nations recognize Azerbaijan’s fair position on Nagorno-Karabakh issue – Turkish PM
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijan’s damage from Armenian occupation surpasses $818 billion
- 13.03.2018Romania committed to continuous development of partnership with Azerbaijan - MP
- 13.03.2018OSCE PA says there are shortcomings in protracted conflicts
- 12.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 106 times
- 10.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 110 times
- 08.03.2018Azerbaijani Permanent Mission to the OSCE clarifies allegations surfaced in the Armenian media
- 07.03.2018Russian presidential hopeful talks about possible solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 06.03.2018CSTO not to support Karabakh separatists in case of war
- 06.03.2018UNICEF says death of children in ceasefire violations ‘unacceptable’
- 06.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.03.2018FM Mammadyarov: Karabakh peace talks to be intensified after elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 05.03.2018Spanish edition of Los Angeles Times: Armenia has committed genocide against Azerbaijani people in Khojaly
- 04.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 98 times
- 02.03.2018Moscow sees no need for separatist Karabakh regime’s involvement in negotiation process
- 02.03.2018Baku says Nalbandian tries to justify Armenia’s failed foreign policy for internal audience
- 01.03.2018Azerbaijani diplomat responds to Armenian FM’s statement in UN
- 01.03.2018Secretary General: "The UN supports the efforts of the OSCE Minsk Group on the peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 28.02.2018Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,400 times in February
- 27.02.2018Baku sees no alternative to peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict – FM
- 27.02.2018Azerbaijani FM: Those responsible for Khojaly genocide still enjoy impunity
- 27.02.2018Requiem concert dedicated to Khojaly genocide held in Amsterdam
- 26.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev was interviewed by Rossiya-24 correspondent
- 26.02.2018Russian lawmaker urges world community to condemn Khojaly genocide
- 26.02.2018Film on Khojaly genocide screened on California’s TV channels
- 23.11.2017France does not recognize Nagorno-Karabakh: Foreign Ministry
- 23.11.2017Patriarch Kirill: Religious leaders’ co-op aimed at Karabakh conflict settlement is ‘an example of peacekeeping mission’
- 23.11.2017Zabelin: Azerbaijan has right to reclaim Karabakh
- 22.11.2017Erdogan: Only force that can resolve Karabahk conflict is Russia, Putin
- 22.11.2017Landmine explosion kills 3 Armenian soldiers in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijan summons French envoy over France visit of Karabakh illegal regime’s “head”