Baku: Nalbandian’s offensive attitude towards UNSC resolutions shows Armenia’s disrespect for UN Charter
Such an offensive attitude by Armenia’s foreign minister towards the UN Security Council (UNSC) resolutions demonstrates Armenia’s true image as a state, as well as its disrespect for the norms and principles of international law and the UN Charter, Hikmat Hajiyev, spokesman for Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry, told APA.
Hajiyev was commenting on the remarks Armenian Foreign Minister Eduard Nalbandian made at a meeting with the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs in Yerevan.
He said that Armenia is a UN member and thus obliged to fulfill UNSC resolutions in accord with the organization’s Charter.
"The use of force, aggression and invasion against another state is an act of international crime, which is prohibited according to the UN Charter. The requirements of the UNSC resolutions will remain on the agenda until they are fulfilled. The UNSC resolutions form the basis of the mandate of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs,” the spokesman said.
He stressed that the relevant resolutions were unanimously adopted by the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairing countries, which are permanent members of the UN Security Council.
“These resolutions condemn the use of force against Azerbaijan, reaffirm Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity and sovereignty, recognize Nagorno-Karabakh as an integral part of Azerbaijan and demand an immediate and complete withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied Azerbaijani territories,” he added.
Hajiyev said that the statements full of hysterical, disturbing and false emotions by Armenia’s foreign minister and his colleagues are related to the forthcoming elections in Armenia and their concerns about their future.
“The people of Armenia, as well as those who live abroad and call themselves the Armenian diaspora understand that the current Armenian government is leading the country to collapse, bankruptcy, and to independence and sovereignty that exist only in dreams. In fact, there is no hint of sovereignty and independence in Armenia,” he added.
At a meeting with the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs in Yerevan on Feb. 8, Armenian Foreign Minister Edward Nalbandian accused Azerbaijan of ignoring the agreements reached.
Related news releases
- 27.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 86 times
- 27.05.2018Azerbaijani President: "The main issue of our foreign policy is the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijani-born Armenian arrives in Baku
- 25.05.2018No discussion yet on date of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs’ meeting – Mammadyarov
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijani FM: Proposing Karabakh separatists’ participation in talks means ‘killing’ peace process
- 25.05.2018FM: Azerbaijan ready for good neighborly relations with Armenia after restoration of its territorial integrity
- 24.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani people confident of restoring country’s territorial integrity
- 24.05.2018Trump: Coming months bring opportunities to resolve Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 23.05.2018FM: Armenia to resume Karabakh peace process in near future
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets personal representative of OSCE Chairman-in-Office
- 23.05.2018Russia vows to continue active role in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 23.05.2018ECHR soon to hear case of Azerbaijanis held hostage by Armenia – attorney
- 22.05.2018Baku: Armenia bears int’l legal responsibility for occupation of Azerbaijani territories
- 20.05.2018A serviceman of the Azerbaijan Army was killed as a result of another provocation of Armenia
- 20.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 93 times
- 18.05.201826 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Lachin district by Armenia
- 17.05.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit region next month
- 17.05.2018Baku: It’s time for Armenian MFA to change ‘same old song’
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijani MFA spokesman issues statement on 26th anniversary of occupation of Lachin by Armenia
- 16.05.2018Crisis Group expert: New gov’t in Armenia opens up new opportunities for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 16.05.2018Armenia’s occupation policy hinders peace in region: Azerbaijani parl’t speaker
- 15.05.2018OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs issue statement on Paris meeting
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan reiterates readiness to intensify talks for early settlement of Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 14.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov to discuss Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict with OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs
- 14.05.2018FM: Resettlement of Syrian Armenians in occupied Azerbaijani territories ‘unacceptable’
- 14.05.2018Armenia-Azerbaiajn Peace Platform holds meeting
- 13.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 89 times
- 12.05.2018Ali Ahmadov: If Pashinyan does not understand need for fair settlement of conflict, this is beginning of his tragedy
- 12.05.201824 years pass since declaration of ceasefire between Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Tigran Balayan trying to be extra active seeking promotion in new Armenian gov’t
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan slams Pashinyan’s proposal to accept separatist Karabakh regime as party in talks
- 10.05.2018Pashinyan’s statements contradict negotiation principles, says Azerbaijani diplomat
- 10.05.2018Bayram Safarov: Pashinyan will someday regret that he visited Shusha
- 09.05.2018Hikmat Hajiyev: The new Prime Minister of Armenia makes controversial statements about the negotiation process
- 09.05.2018Armenia’s new PM visits occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan allows some foreign media representatives to visit Nagorno-Karabakh
- 08.05.2018Six foreigners attempt to trespass Armenia-Azerbaijan border
- 08.05.2018Pashinyan says ready for talks with Azerbaijan on Karabakh conflict
- 08.05.2018“Serzh Sargsyan's resignation was overdue”
- 08.05.2018Nagorno-Karabakh is not disputed territory, Azerbaijan says
- 09.02.2018Mogherini: EU supports Azerbaijan’s sovereignty and territorial integrity
- 09.02.2018EU: Nagorno-Karabakh conflict a ‘very big challenge’
- 09.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Armenian troops’ presence in Azerbaijani territories remains major cause of non-settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijani FM says there is ‘intensity, concrete and logical flow’ in Karabakh talks
- 09.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Armenian troops’ withdrawal from Azerbaijani territories key to political settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 08.02.2018Armenia becomes a political, economic, energy and transportation dead-end – Azerbaijani president