Baku: Armenia bears int’l legal responsibility for occupation of Azerbaijani territories
In light of Yerevan’s frivolous and unfounded statements, the international community is witnessing Armenia’s engagement in destructive policy, populism and political adventure in the settlement process of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, Hikmat Hajiyev, spokesman for the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told APA on Tuesday.
Armenia, in a gross violation of Article 2 (4) of the UN Charter, used force against the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Azerbaijan and occupied Azerbaijani lands, noted Hajiyev.
The spokesman recalled that the Minsk Group was established under the decision of the OSCE Helsinki Ministerial Council in March 1992, with Armenia and Azerbaijan being recognized as conflicting parties and the Armenian and Azerbaijani communities of Azerbaijan’s Nagorno-Karabakh region as the concerned parties.
He stressed that the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) put an end to Armenia’s persistent denial of responsibility for the illegal occupation of Azerbaijani territories and its military presence in these territories.
The ECHR judgment in the case of “Chiragov and Others v. Armenia” states that “the Republic of Armenia, through its military presence and the provision of military equipment and expertise, has been significantly involved in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict from an early date” and “this military support has been – and continues to be – decisive for the conquest of and continued control over the territories in issue,” Hajiyev added.
Armenia that is responsible for the ongoing aggression against Azerbaijan, the occupation of Azerbaijan’s internationally recognized territories, the presence of Armenian troops in the occupied Azerbaijani territories, the expulsion of hundreds of Azerbaijani citizens from the occupied territories, and prevents them from returning to these territories is guilty of violating international law, Hajiyev said.
"It is the Republic of Armenia that uses force against Azerbaijan and bears international legal responsibility for the occupation of Azerbaijan lands,” he said, adding that Azerbaijan's biggest concession is negotiating with the occupant country – Armenia – for more than 25 years.”
"Lasting peace and security in the region can be ensured if Armenia does not repeat the mistakes of previous regime and puts an end to the policy of occupation and ethnic cleansing and withdraws its troops from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan in accordance with the UN Security Council resolutions," the spokesman noted.
“The sooner Armenia realizes this reality, the sooner peace will be ensured in the region,” Hajiyev concluded.
Related news releases
- 24.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 92 times
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs meet in Minsk
- 22.06.2018Baku supports promotion of ties between Nagorno-Karabakh’s Azerbaijani, Armenian communities – FM
- 21.06.2018Lavrov: Solution won’t be far off if Karabakh conflict sides reach consensus
- 21.06.2018Mogherini: EU supports Minsk Group’s mediation efforts for Karabakh settlement
- 20.06.2018Deputy PM: Azerbaijan's main goal to liberate its occupied lands
- 20.06.2018Return to Jojug Marjanli further strengthened IDPs’ hope to return to native lands: committee chairman
- 20.06.2018Nagorno-Karabakh conflict requires early political settlement - EU
- 18.06.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Manvel Grigoryan participated in Khojaly genocide and other war crimes
- 17.06.2018News about the alleged flights of "fighter aircraft" of Armenia over Khankendi – the next information adventurism of the enemy
- 17.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 83 times
- 15.06.2018Zakharova: Creating favorable atmosphere key to resolving Karabakh conflict
- 15.06.2018Kremlin: Too early to talk about further Aliyev-Pashinyan meetings
- 15.06.2018Separatist Nagorno-Karabakh regime's ex-minister of defense released
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in near future: OSCE MG co-chairs
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani official calls Armenian president’s visit to Nagorno-Karabakh illegal
- 13.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The visit of the Armenian president to the Kalbajar region is a provocation"
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs meet Armenian PM
- 13.06.2018Armenian president visits occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs arrive in Armenia
- 12.06.2018MFA: Azerbaijan to keep increasing its defense capability as long as Armenia continues occupation policy
- 11.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The statements of the Armenian FM confirm that Armenia is a party to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 10.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 144 times
- 09.06.2018MEP: I and my group will never pay illegal visit to Nagorno Karabakh
- 09.06.2018MP: Liberation of occupied lands in Nakhchivan is triumph of Azerbaijani president’s policy
- 09.06.2018Ilham Aliyev: I hope ACRE will adequately assess fact of occupation of Azerbaijani lands
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani Army liberated over 11 thousand hectares of land in Nakhchivan
- 08.06.2018OSCE representatives visit Tartar district executive authority
- 07.06.2018Russian FM responds to Armenian PM’s idea that Nagorno-Karabakh should join negotiations as a party
- 07.06.2018Russia says will continue to help sides find solution to Karabakh conflict
- 07.06.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry responds to Armenian PM’s statement
- 07.06.2018Popov: OSCE MG co-chairs’ planned visit to Armenia aims to hold talks with new gov’t
- 07.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "I hope that the new leadership of Armenia will not repeat the mistakes of the previous government"
- 06.06.2018Australian Senate expresses support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 05.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Armenia on June 13
- 03.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 82 times
- 01.06.2018Russian Foreign Ministry considers Pashinyan’s statement on settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict unconstructive
- 01.06.2018Oettinger: Karabakh conflict settlement ‘impossible’ without Russia
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev and Nikol Pashinyan can meet in coming weeks – Armenian FM
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Destruction of Azerbaijan’s historical, religious monuments by Armenia is unprecedented vandalism
- 23.05.2018ECHR soon to hear case of Azerbaijanis held hostage by Armenia – attorney
- 23.05.2018Russia vows to continue active role in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets personal representative of OSCE Chairman-in-Office
- 20.05.2018A serviceman of the Azerbaijan Army was killed as a result of another provocation of Armenia
- 20.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 93 times
- 18.05.201826 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Lachin district by Armenia