Azerbaijani president: We restored Armenian church in Baku, while Armenia annihilated our cultural heritage in occupied lands
Azerbaijan has turned into an international center in the area of multiculturalism, Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev said at the official opening ceremony of the 4th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue in Baku May 5, APA reported.
“Azerbaijan has an ancient history and culture. Last year we marked the 25th anniversary of regaining our independence. It shows that when your fate is in your own hands, you can make great achievements,” said President Aliyev. “Azerbaijan has never been so powerful as it is now. Azerbaijan is a rapidly developing country yet it strongly adheres to its roots.”
The president pointed out that the only problem faced by Azerbaijan is the occupation of its lands by Armenia.
“Azerbaijan’s Nagorno-Karabakh region and seven surrounding districts are under occupation. Azerbaijan experienced ethnic cleansing and our mosques were destroyed, whereas we have restored an Armenian church in downtown Baku. Armenia just annihilated our cultural heritage in the occupied lands. This has been proven by the OSCE fact-finding mission as well,” said the Azerbaijani president.
President Aliyev went on to say that Armenia continues ignoring the UN Security Council four resolutions on the liberation of the occupied Azerbaijani territories.
“UN resolutions are often fulfilled within hours, but when it comes to Azerbaijan resolutions have remained unfulfilled for years. That’s an indicator of double standards. The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict must be resolved within the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan. Nagorno-Karabakh is a historical land of Azerbaijan,” he said.
Related news releases
- 24.11.2017ICRC expresses readiness to facilitate handover of Azerbaijani soldier
- 24.11.2017‘Justice for Khojaly!’ int’l campaign presented in Morocco
- 24.11.2017State Committee: 265 Azerbaijani women went missing during Karabakh conflict
- 24.11.2017“14 Azerbaijani children killed in Armenian terror during ceasefire”
- 23.11.2017Armenian armed forces hold next exercises in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 23.11.2017EU official: Countries affected by conflicts should benefit from EU countries’ experience
- 23.11.2017Zakharova comments on availability of ‘Putin Plan’ for Karabakh settlement
- 23.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia wants to keep status-quo for as long as possible
- 23.11.2017Stoltenberg: No military solution to Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 23.11.2017EU supports Minsk Group co-chairs’ efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement, says commissioner
- 23.11.2017Zabelin: Azerbaijan has right to reclaim Karabakh
- 23.11.2017Patriarch Kirill: Religious leaders’ co-op aimed at Karabakh conflict settlement is ‘an example of peacekeeping mission’
- 23.11.2017France does not recognize Nagorno-Karabakh: Foreign Ministry
- 22.11.2017Baku reacts to statement Armenian FM voiced at joint press conference with Russian counterpart
- 22.11.2017Erdogan: Only force that can resolve Karabahk conflict is Russia, Putin
- 22.11.2017Landmine explosion kills 3 Armenian soldiers in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijan summons French envoy over France visit of Karabakh illegal regime’s “head”
- 21.11.2017EU asked not to show different attitudes towards Karabakh and Catalan problems
- 21.11.2017Russian FM: Experience shows Karabakh talks unlikely to end soon
- 21.11.2017Lavrov: Russia will continue efforts to create conditions for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 21.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.11.2017OSCE Secretary General: "We closely monitor the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 20.11.2017Turkish ambassador talks about Erdogan's meeting with Putin
- 20.11.2017UNSC resolutions demanding liberation of Azerbaijani lands under discussion – Russian FM
- 20.11.2017FM Mammadyarov: Efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement should be tripled
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani FM: UNSC resolutions to remain in force until implementation
- 20.11.2017Russia will work on peaceful solution acceptable to Karabakh conflict parties – Lavrov
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani FM: Status quo in Karabakh conflict is 'unacceptable and unstable'
- 20.11.2017Novruz Mammadov: Despite provocations of Armenia and its patrons, Azerbaijan doesn’t step back from ‘peace course’
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: Deadlock in US-Russia ties doesn’t affect cooperation on Karabakh settlement
- 20.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan will avenge child victims of Armenian armed provocations
- 20.11.201726 years pass since Armenia shot down military helicopter with Azerbaijani political elite on board
- 19.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 18.11.2017EU Special Representative for South Caucasus to visit Baku
- 18.11.2017Armenia 123 times breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan in 24 hours
- 17.11.2017Erdogan: "We discussed Nagorno-Karabakh conflict with Putin"
- 16.11.2017Armenia continues military exercises in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani FM: Following Vienna talks, we’ll offer the presidents to meet - INTERVIEW
- 16.11.2017Ambassador Cekuta reacts to reports on alleged U.S. decision to withdraw from OSCE MG chairmanship
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs agree to meet in Vienna next month
- 05.05.2017ICRC comments on reports of its workers being opened fire at by Armenians in Aghdam
- 05.05.2017American journalist meets co-coordinators of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 05.05.2017Ziyafat Asgarov: Armenia tries to portray Karabakh conflict as Muslim-Christian confrontation
- 04.05.2017Markedonov: Status quo in Karabakh conflict unlikely to be changed by Moscow or Washington
- 04.05.2017Dugin: Azerbaijani people are not hostile to ordinary Armenians, but only want liberation of occupied territories by peaceful means
- 03.05.2017Iranian MFA slams Armenian media for actions for personal gain