Azerbaijani MP urges Turkey to take drastic measures against its citizens over illegal visit to Karabakh
The Turkish government has not taken any measures against a group of its citizens who illegally visited Azerbaijan’s Nagorno-Karabakh region occupied by Armenia, Hikmat Babaoghlu, Azerbaijani MP, editor-in-chief of the “Yeni Azərbaycan” newspaper, told APA.
He noted that such visits by Turkish citizens contradict the spirit of strategic relations and cooperation between the two countries.
The MP stressed that the Turkish citizens who illegally traveled to the Armenian-occupied Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan have spoken out against not only Azerbaijan, but their country too.
"Turkey is a powerful state and has to take measures against this illegal visit. Such actions are not nothing new. We know that several Turkish journalists had previously visited the occupied territories several times without Azerbaijan's permission. The continuation of this issue in this way has caused great public uproar in Azerbaijani society. The Azerbaijani people strongly condemn this visit,” he said urging the Turkish government to take drastic measures against these individuals.
According to Babaoglu, relations should first of all be based on mutual respect and international law.
"Azerbaijan is quite sensitive in this regard as its territories are under occupation. If Azerbaijanis take similar steps in an issue Turkey is similarly sensitive about, for example, if a group of renowned Azerbaijanis were to visit the Republic of Cyprus and hold meetings there, making anti-Turkey statements, what reaction would Turkey give? Turkey must ponder this issue and make a proper decision,” he said.
He went on to say that Azerbaijan has always supported Turkey in international organizations.
“During the coup attempt in Turkey in July 2016, Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev demonstrated his firm position. The Azerbaijani people always express support to Turkey. Therefore, the Azerbaijani people expect such determination from Turkey. Turkey will either punish those people itself or hand them over to our country because of their illegal visit to the occupied territories of Azerbaijan in accordance with international law,” Babaoghlu said.
Vugar Rahimzade, a member of the Political Council of the ruling New Azerbaijan Party and the editor-in-chief of “Iki Sahil” newspaper, told APA that the visit of some Turkish citizens who think themselves as “intellectuals” to the occupied Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan has caused great anger and anxiety in the Azerbaijani public.
He expressed hope that the Turkish state will soon take necessary punitive measures against these individuals.
“Armenia demonstrates a hostile attitude towards Azerbaijan and Turkey. On the other hand, Armenia is a dangerous and terrorist state that poses a major threat to the region and the whole world,” Rahimzade said. “Against the backdrop of all this, such a visit to the occupied territories of Azerbaijan must be unequivocally condemned.”
He added that the illegal visit by the Turkish citizens to Nagorno-Karabakh is a betrayal of the Turkish-Azerbaijani brotherhood and a great blow to the friendship between the two countries.
“Azerbaijan has always been loyal to its friendly relations with Turkey. Unfortunately, this visit to the Nagorno-Karabakh region, which is under Armenian occupation, undermines relations between Turkey and Azerbaijan,” Rahimzade said.
On September 22, Turkish intellectuals Ali Bayramoglu, Sait Cekinoglu, former MP Ufuk Uras, representing the Green Left Party, and writer and TV host Erol Katircioglu have paid an illegal visit to Nagorno-Karabakh on the initiative of an organization called “National Congress of Western Armenians”, making pro-Armenian statements against Azerbaijan and Turkey.
Related news releases
- 20.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 97 times
- 19.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Large part of present-day Armenia is historical Azerbaijani land
- 18.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 117 times
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani PM: Armenia continues its non-constructive position, tries to protract Karabakh conflict
- 16.03.2018FM: Karabakh talks to be intensified after elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 15.03.2018Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijanis must return to their ancestral lands, Armenians must live there together with them
- 15.03.2018World unwilling to resolve Karabakh problem: Turkey’s ex-FM
- 15.03.2018Turkey, Azerbaijan cooperate on regional issues, counterterrorism – PM
- 15.03.2018Former EU special rep: After me, there’s been no substantial change in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.03.2018Russian MFA comments on US visit of Karabakh separatists’ leader
- 15.03.2018Zakharova: "Artsakh Republic" has no representation in Moscow
- 15.03.2018UK supports OSCE Minsk Group efforts to resolve Karabakh conflict - envoy
- 15.03.2018Status quo in Karabakh conflict ‘unacceptable’ – Azerbaijani president
- 14.03.2018The next ceasefire monitoring exercise will be conducted on the Line of Contact of the armed forces of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 14.03.2018UN, OSCE and all nations recognize Azerbaijan’s fair position on Nagorno-Karabakh issue – Turkish PM
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijan’s damage from Armenian occupation surpasses $818 billion
- 13.03.2018Romania committed to continuous development of partnership with Azerbaijan - MP
- 13.03.2018OSCE PA says there are shortcomings in protracted conflicts
- 12.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 106 times
- 10.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 110 times
- 08.03.2018Azerbaijani Permanent Mission to the OSCE clarifies allegations surfaced in the Armenian media
- 07.03.2018Russian presidential hopeful talks about possible solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 06.03.2018CSTO not to support Karabakh separatists in case of war
- 06.03.2018UNICEF says death of children in ceasefire violations ‘unacceptable’
- 06.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.03.2018FM Mammadyarov: Karabakh peace talks to be intensified after elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 05.03.2018Spanish edition of Los Angeles Times: Armenia has committed genocide against Azerbaijani people in Khojaly
- 04.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 98 times
- 02.03.2018Moscow sees no need for separatist Karabakh regime’s involvement in negotiation process
- 02.03.2018Baku says Nalbandian tries to justify Armenia’s failed foreign policy for internal audience
- 01.03.2018Azerbaijani diplomat responds to Armenian FM’s statement in UN
- 01.03.2018Secretary General: "The UN supports the efforts of the OSCE Minsk Group on the peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 28.02.2018Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,400 times in February
- 27.02.2018Baku sees no alternative to peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict – FM
- 27.02.2018Azerbaijani FM: Those responsible for Khojaly genocide still enjoy impunity
- 27.02.2018Requiem concert dedicated to Khojaly genocide held in Amsterdam
- 26.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev was interviewed by Rossiya-24 correspondent
- 26.02.2018Russian lawmaker urges world community to condemn Khojaly genocide
- 29.09.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia and its lobby in US engaged in unnecessary activity
- 30.09.2017Turkish Foreign Ministry: "The visit of Turkish citizens to Nagorno-Karabakh was not coordinated with state bodies"
- 30.09.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 28.09.2017Azerbaijan opens criminal case against Turkish citizens over illegal visit to Karabakh
- 28.09.2017Turkish defense minister calls for liberation of Azerbaijani territories occupied by Armenia
- 27.09.2017Nalbandian: OSCE MG co-chairs will visit Armenia in first half of October