Azerbaijani MP urges Turkey to take drastic measures against its citizens over illegal visit to Karabakh
The Turkish government has not taken any measures against a group of its citizens who illegally visited Azerbaijan’s Nagorno-Karabakh region occupied by Armenia, Hikmat Babaoghlu, Azerbaijani MP, editor-in-chief of the “Yeni Azərbaycan” newspaper, told APA.
He noted that such visits by Turkish citizens contradict the spirit of strategic relations and cooperation between the two countries.
The MP stressed that the Turkish citizens who illegally traveled to the Armenian-occupied Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan have spoken out against not only Azerbaijan, but their country too.
"Turkey is a powerful state and has to take measures against this illegal visit. Such actions are not nothing new. We know that several Turkish journalists had previously visited the occupied territories several times without Azerbaijan's permission. The continuation of this issue in this way has caused great public uproar in Azerbaijani society. The Azerbaijani people strongly condemn this visit,” he said urging the Turkish government to take drastic measures against these individuals.
According to Babaoglu, relations should first of all be based on mutual respect and international law.
"Azerbaijan is quite sensitive in this regard as its territories are under occupation. If Azerbaijanis take similar steps in an issue Turkey is similarly sensitive about, for example, if a group of renowned Azerbaijanis were to visit the Republic of Cyprus and hold meetings there, making anti-Turkey statements, what reaction would Turkey give? Turkey must ponder this issue and make a proper decision,” he said.
He went on to say that Azerbaijan has always supported Turkey in international organizations.
“During the coup attempt in Turkey in July 2016, Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev demonstrated his firm position. The Azerbaijani people always express support to Turkey. Therefore, the Azerbaijani people expect such determination from Turkey. Turkey will either punish those people itself or hand them over to our country because of their illegal visit to the occupied territories of Azerbaijan in accordance with international law,” Babaoghlu said.
Vugar Rahimzade, a member of the Political Council of the ruling New Azerbaijan Party and the editor-in-chief of “Iki Sahil” newspaper, told APA that the visit of some Turkish citizens who think themselves as “intellectuals” to the occupied Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan has caused great anger and anxiety in the Azerbaijani public.
He expressed hope that the Turkish state will soon take necessary punitive measures against these individuals.
“Armenia demonstrates a hostile attitude towards Azerbaijan and Turkey. On the other hand, Armenia is a dangerous and terrorist state that poses a major threat to the region and the whole world,” Rahimzade said. “Against the backdrop of all this, such a visit to the occupied territories of Azerbaijan must be unequivocally condemned.”
He added that the illegal visit by the Turkish citizens to Nagorno-Karabakh is a betrayal of the Turkish-Azerbaijani brotherhood and a great blow to the friendship between the two countries.
“Azerbaijan has always been loyal to its friendly relations with Turkey. Unfortunately, this visit to the Nagorno-Karabakh region, which is under Armenian occupation, undermines relations between Turkey and Azerbaijan,” Rahimzade said.
On September 22, Turkish intellectuals Ali Bayramoglu, Sait Cekinoglu, former MP Ufuk Uras, representing the Green Left Party, and writer and TV host Erol Katircioglu have paid an illegal visit to Nagorno-Karabakh on the initiative of an organization called “National Congress of Western Armenians”, making pro-Armenian statements against Azerbaijan and Turkey.
Related news releases
- 14.12.2017Turkey: Armenia must be held accountable for crimes in Azerbaijan’s Khojaly
- 14.12.2017ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijani serviceman killed in Armenian ceasefire violation
- 13.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia, which destroyed sacred mosques, cannot be a friend of Muslim countries
- 12.12.2017France ambassador to Armenia: Karabakh conflict not “frozen”
- 11.12.2017Lukashevich: 2017 best remembered for resumption of Karabakh peace talks
- 11.12.2017Foreign diplomats hail work done in Azerbaijan to improve IDPs’ living conditions – Hikmat Hajiyev
- 11.12.2017American researcher: Territorial integrity, sovereignty of states must be respected
- 11.12.2017France will continue to work towards Karabakh conflict settlement – envoy
- 11.12.2017Foreign diplomats in Azerbaijan, journalists, heads of int’l organizations visit Tartar district
- 10.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 115 times
- 09.12.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.12.2017Armenian army opens fire at village in Azerbaijan’s Aghdam
- 08.12.2017Lavrov: Work underway to increase number of OSCE observers for Karabakh conflict
- 08.12.2017Direct dialogue over Karabakh settlement doesn’t produce any visible progress, says Russian FM
- 08.12.2017Lavrov: December 7 statement affirms principles for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 07.12.2017Elmar Mammadyarov: “Certain forces in the region are not interested in changing status-quo”
- 07.12.2017Co-chair countries issue joint statement on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 07.12.2017Baku supports dialogue between Armenian and Azerbaijani communities of Nagorno-Karabakh
- 07.12.2017Ukrainian FM calls for increased efforts to settle conflicts on territories of Azerbaijan, Georgia and Moldova
- 07.12.2017U.S. supports Minsk Group efforts to find solution to Karabakh conflict – Tillerson
- 07.12.2017OSCE PA President: Increasingly intense hostilities in Nagorno-Karabakh cause deep concern
- 07.12.2017Foreign Ministry: Next meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian Foreign Ministers in January
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani FM meets OSCE MG Co-Chairs in Vienna
- 06.12.2017Armenian FM meets OSCE MG co-chairs in Vienna
- 06.12.2017European Court of Human Rights to deliver new judgment in case of Chiragov and others v. Armenia
- 06.12.2017Armenia conducts military exercises in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijani parl’t deputy speaker highlights illicit drug trafficking in Nagorno-Karabakh at int’l conference in Moscow
- 03.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 126 times
- 01.12.2017Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,700 times in November
- 01.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Status quo in Karabakh conflict must be changed
- 30.11.2017ANAMA carries out cleaning in area selected for new irrigation canal in Jabrayil district
- 30.11.2017Historian Kuznetsov: Threat of ‘Armenian terrorism’ on the rise in Russia
- 30.11.2017Cavusoglu: Turkey continues efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 29.11.2017Turkish FM meets with OSCE MG co-chairs in Ankara
- 29.11.2017FM: Costa Rica supports peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 29.11.2017Armenia again launches military exercises in Azerbaijan’s occupied lands
- 28.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: EaP summit declaration reaffirms support for territorial integrity of member countries
- 28.11.2017Armenian historian: Karabakh – integral, unique part of Azerbaijan
- 28.11.2017Armenia hands over body of Azerbaijani soldier
- 29.09.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia and its lobby in US engaged in unnecessary activity
- 30.09.2017Turkish Foreign Ministry: "The visit of Turkish citizens to Nagorno-Karabakh was not coordinated with state bodies"
- 30.09.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 28.09.2017Azerbaijan opens criminal case against Turkish citizens over illegal visit to Karabakh
- 28.09.2017Turkish defense minister calls for liberation of Azerbaijani territories occupied by Armenia
- 27.09.2017Nalbandian: OSCE MG co-chairs will visit Armenia in first half of October