Azerbaijani MP: Great powers can silence Armenia within hours
Great powers can silence Armenia within hours, Azerbaijani MP Yevda Abramov told reporters on Monday, APA reported.
The MP noted with regret that some great powers stand for Armenia, a state which has no value in the world history.
“How can we call it? Only “Christian solidarity”. As if the war is not waged between Azerbaijan and Armenia, but between the Islamic and Christian worlds. We need to find the courage to say that. It shows that the world is polarized and international law no longer works,” he said.
He stressed that twenty-five years have passed since the occupation of Azerbaijan’s Shusha city by Armenia, but unfortunately great powers are still silent about the disasters that the Azerbaijani people were experiencing from time to time.
“They [great powers] avoid influencing small Armenian state using their strength and potential. All of this is regrettable. As for political aspects, the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan conflict is dragging out,” said Abramov, adding. “How could it be that the resolutions adopted by the world’s biggest organization UN don’t work? However, the US, France and Russia can silence Armenia within hours. Unfortunately, these states remain silent for their own interests, in no way react to the fate of one million Azerbaijani internally displaced persons. However, we will sooner or later win a great victory and return to our native lands.”
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 26.05.2017lham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s principled stance on Karabakh conflict remains unchanged
- 26.05.2017Igor Popov: No one had expected progress from Moscow ministerial meeting on Karabakh conflict - INTERVIEW
- 26.05.2017Ambassador: Argentina ready to assist efforts to find peaceful solution to Karabakh conflict
- 25.05.2017EU: Status quo in Karabakh is fragile
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijan’s honored journalist joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 25.05.2017Armenians set fire to occupied Azerbaijani village
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijani FM: UN resolutions are basis for settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijan to appeal to int'l organizations over planned flights from Khojaly airport
- 23.05.2017“Peace Ambassador” of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform from Ukraine appointed
- 23.05.2017Polish magazine dedicates article to Khojaly genocide
- 23.05.2017PACE co-rapporteurs to make proposal in relation to Karabakh conflict
- 23.05.2017Armenians warned over planned anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Russia’s Kursk
- 22.05.2017McAllister: European Parliament not responsible for some MEPs’ visits to Nagorno-Karabakh
- 21.05.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 20.05.2017German FM: CE monitoring instruments’ should have access to Nagorno-Karabakh and seven surrounding regions
- 20.05.2017Armenian soldier violating ceasefire killed
- 19.05.2017Azerbaijani defense ministry comments on video spread by Armenians
- 19.05.2017Association of European Journalists joins to Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 19.05.2017Baku says OSCE MG co-chairs’ latest statement is ‘symptomatic’ in nature
- 19.05.2017The Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group released statement on the recent escalation in Nagorno Karabakh conflict zone
- 18.05.2017Moscow urges Karabakh conflict sides to avoid further escalation
- 18.05.201725 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Lachin district by Armenia
- 17.05.2017OSCE chairman to visit South Caucasus – press officer
- 17.05.2017Russian historian: People believe Russia occupied Karabakh and will never admit it
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani Defense Ministry commented on reports that spread on some media about Armenia possible to shoot the helicopter of Defense Minister
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan approves rules for ensuring security in frontline settlements
- 16.05.2017OSCE PA draft resolution urges Karabakh conflict parties to return to negotiation table
- 15.05.2017OSA missile system of Armenia was destroyed
- 14.05.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.05.2017OSCE MG co-chairs likely to visit the region in coming months
- 12.05.2017Peace ambassador of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform from Russia appointed
- 12.05.2017Listing of people who went missing during Karabakh conflict almost finished
- 12.05.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform members hold meeting
- 10.05.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform presented at int’l forum in Egypt
- 10.05.2017Hoagland: US should play more active role in Karabakh settlement process
- 10.05.2017Hoagland: US, Russia will continue to cooperate on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 10.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia's occupation policy is attack not only on Azerbaijan, but also on historical and cultural heritage of Islam
- 10.05.2017OSCE MG US co-chair calls for serious high-level talks on Karabakh conflict
- 10.05.2017ICRC in Nagorno-Karabakh visits Azerbaijani detainees
- 09.05.2017Ambassador: Belarus supports peaceful settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict
- 08.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Hope France’s efforts to contribute to fair settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 08.05.2017Azerbaijan removes Spanish journalist from ‘black list’
- 09.05.2017Three Armenian soldiers drown as a result of accident
- 08.05.2017Occupation of Shusha was part of Armenia’s systematic policy of aggression against Azerbaijan – Foreign Ministry
- 07.05.2017Azerbaijan arrests group of servicemen, civilians involved in conspiracy with Armenian intelligence services
- 07.05.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 121 times