Azerbaijani MP: Great powers can silence Armenia within hours
Great powers can silence Armenia within hours, Azerbaijani MP Yevda Abramov told reporters on Monday, APA reported.
The MP noted with regret that some great powers stand for Armenia, a state which has no value in the world history.
“How can we call it? Only “Christian solidarity”. As if the war is not waged between Azerbaijan and Armenia, but between the Islamic and Christian worlds. We need to find the courage to say that. It shows that the world is polarized and international law no longer works,” he said.
He stressed that twenty-five years have passed since the occupation of Azerbaijan’s Shusha city by Armenia, but unfortunately great powers are still silent about the disasters that the Azerbaijani people were experiencing from time to time.
“They [great powers] avoid influencing small Armenian state using their strength and potential. All of this is regrettable. As for political aspects, the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan conflict is dragging out,” said Abramov, adding. “How could it be that the resolutions adopted by the world’s biggest organization UN don’t work? However, the US, France and Russia can silence Armenia within hours. Unfortunately, these states remain silent for their own interests, in no way react to the fate of one million Azerbaijani internally displaced persons. However, we will sooner or later win a great victory and return to our native lands.”
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 24.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 126 times
- 24.09.2017The Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group release statement on the meeting of the Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs
- 24.09.2017Substantial negotiations on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict settlement discussed in New York - UPDATED
- 23.09.2017Armenian FM meets with OSCE MG co-chairs
- 23.09.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijani FM meets with OSCE Minsk Group Co-chairs - UPDATED
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijani FM to meet with co-chairs today
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan says Armenian FM tries to portray Minsk Group co-chairs as ‘tourists’ or ‘event organizers’
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan declares US congressmen persona non grata
- 22.09.2017Armenians again set fire to occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 22.09.2017Karabakh Liberation Organization stages rally to protest Armenian MPs’ visit to Baku
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet on Sept. 23
- 21.09.2017Peace Platform congratulates Armenian, Azerbaijani peoples on Int’l Peace Day
- 21.09.2017Armenian MFA and MoD differ on idea of returning part of occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 21.09.2017Deputy PM: Peoples of Azerbaijan, Armenia tired of Karabakh conflict
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev calls Armenia ‘occupier’ at UN
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan says US congressmen’s illegal visit to Nagorno-Karabakh is being investigated
- 20.09.2017EU says it’s closely following Karabakh settlement process
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia tries to associate other countries with illegal occupation
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan urges OIC countries to limit all forms of co-op with Armenia
- 20.09.2017OIC Contact Group mulls Armenia’s aggression against Azerbaijan at UN
- 20.09.2017Turkish president: “We need to work harder for the resolution of Nagorno Garabakh” - VIDEO
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs expected to meet on Sept. 23 - UPDATED
- 19.09.2017US co-chair says he hopes meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs will create a basis for presidents’ meeting
- 18.09.2017ICRC: Issue of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev in spotlight
- 18.09.2017Azerbaijan says it will never allow another Armenian state to be created in its sovereign territory
- 17.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 144 times
- 16.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 148 times
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan’s painful Karabakh problem is also Turkey’s problem – envoy
- 15.09.2017"France always sensitive about Karabakh conflict settlement process"
- 14.09.2017MP: Important to establish dialogue between Azerbaijani, Armenian youth within CIS
- 14.09.2017Farhad Badalbayli: Creation of OSCE Minsk Group was ‘biggest mistake’
- 14.09.2017Russian expert believes Karabakh conflict hinders strengthening of Moscow-Baku co-op
- 13.09.2017Turkish envoy: April battles showed what Azerbaijan is capable of doing
- 10.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 96 times
- 09.09.2017Allahshukur Pashazade: “We offered to hold meeting of religious leaders on the Azerbaijan-Armenia border” - INTERVIEW
- 08.09.2017Azerbaijani FM: Karabakh conflict ‘a major threat’ to regional peace, security
- 08.09.2017Patriarch Kirill: Current situation on Karabakh conflict cannot be considered acceptable
- 08.09.2017Armenians again set fire to occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 08.09.2017US to allocate $1.5 mln for demining operations in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 08.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Hope France’s efforts to contribute to fair settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 08.05.2017Azerbaijan removes Spanish journalist from ‘black list’
- 09.05.2017Three Armenian soldiers drown as a result of accident
- 08.05.2017Occupation of Shusha was part of Armenia’s systematic policy of aggression against Azerbaijan – Foreign Ministry
- 07.05.2017Azerbaijan arrests group of servicemen, civilians involved in conspiracy with Armenian intelligence services
- 07.05.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 121 times