Azerbaijani MP: Azerbaijan following path of peace despite all material and moral damage
Azerbaijan has suffered material damage amounting to $810 billion according to the working group’s preliminary estimation, said Azerbaijani MP Fattah Heydarov.
Heydarov, who also chairs the Council of Elders of Azerbaijan, made the remarks at the international conference on the theme “Armenian military intervention in Azerbaijani territories: damage and casualties," held in Baku Feb. 22, APA reported.
The MP said this is the damage caused by the destruction of man-made properties.
“Moreover, the Azerbaijani people have suffered enormous moral damage as well. However, after coming to power in the country, national leader Heydar Aliyev expressed willingness to solve the conflict peacefully. Heydar Aliyev’s policy is being continued by the country’s current President Ilham Aliyev,” he said.
“World leaders’ appealing to our president and asking him about his views at the Munich conference proved that we are following the path of peace and tranquility. We have chosen to continue following this path of peace in the face of all these material and moral losses,” said Heydarov, noting that Azerbaijan wants the Nagorno-Karabakh region and the seven surrounding districts to be returned through negotiations.
“The presidential order on the restoration of Jojug Marjanli shows that we will restore our territories and our people will return there. Furthermore, Azerbaijan is ready to ensure the security of all nations living in those lands, including the Armenian people. That is the way of our president”, he added.
Heydarov noted that the world is experiencing complicated processes.
“Processes accompanied by economic troubles and wars are everywhere. Today mankind should think that big massacres have always been caused by the Armenian factor. This factor must be prevented. They again intend to create a wartime atmosphere. The international community should unite their efforts and react to the aggressors”, he said.
The Armenian occupation of Azerbaijani territories caused $819 million worth of damage to Azerbaijan according to the estimation of the Working Group, created to estimate the losses and causalities caused by the Armenian occupation.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 22.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 97 times
- 20.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.04.2018Karabakh conflict should be resolved through negotiations, compromises
- 19.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Jojug Marjanli has become symbol of our revival
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Let world know that not only Karabakh but also present-day Armenia is historical Azerbaijani land
- 18.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2018Prosecutor General Zakir Garalov appeals to Russian counterpart over anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Izvestia newspaper
- 16.04.2018Russian newspaper Izvestiya commits provocation against Azerbaijan
- 13.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2018Yemeni blogger apologizes for illegal trip to Karabakh, escapes Azerbaijan's "black list"
- 09.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Legal framework created for settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 09.04.2018Ariel Cohen: Sides will eventually understand importance of settling Karabakh conflict on basis of UNSC decisions
- 08.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 86 times
- 06.04.2018Italy’s OSCE Chairmanship says not keen on creating new formats for Karabakh talks
- 06.04.2018OSCE hopes meeting between Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents could soon take place
- 06.04.2018Syria’s UN envoy comments on reports on deployment of terrorists from Syria in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 06.04.2018Another ceasefire violation from Armenia
- 05.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "The main reason for the unsettledness of the Karabakh problem is that Armenia does not want to change the status quo"
- 05.04.2018Nothing being done to implement decisions on Karabakh problem – Turkish FM
- 05.04.2018Status quo in Karabakh conflict will never be accepted – FM Mammadyarov
- 05.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 04.04.2018Minsk Group format shows co-op possible for sake of European security: OSCE Sec-Gen
- 04.04.2018Azerbaijan to present note of protest to France
- 04.04.2018Former Nagorno-Karabakh commandant: ‘All illegal armed groups were disarmed during my time’
- 04.04.2018Washington Times publishes article by Azerbaijani ambassador on 25th anniversary of occupation of Kalbajar
- 04.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.04.2018Russia to grant Armenia interest-free loan for purchase of Iskander missile systems – report
- 03.04.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 02.04.2018Indian gov’t has nothing to do with exhibition organized in Khankendi – embassy
- 02.04.2018Azerbaijani MFA spokesman issues statement on occupation of Kalbajar region and April escalation of 2016
- 02.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,100 times in March
- 02.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 01.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 105 times
- 30.03.2018Ogtay Asadov: Illusion of “greater Armenia” has always brought disasters on South Caucasus
- 29.03.2018Russian FM and OSCE Secretary General to discuss Karabakh conflict
- 29.03.20183 HALO Trust employees killed, 2 injured in landmine explosion in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 29.03.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 28.03.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 27.03.2018Baku says Armenian FM has special phobia against substantive negotiations
- 22.02.2017Khojaly 25 years on – an evocative musical remembrance held in Geneva
- 22.02.2017Ambassador: Azerbaijan will use all int’l platforms to resolve Karabakh conflict
- 22.02.2017US committed to Minsk Group process on Karabakh settlement – ambassador
- 22.02.2017Azerbaijani FM: Unresolved Karabakh conflict undermines peace, stability in region
- 22.02.2017Azerbaijani FM: Khojaly Genocide – example of Armenia’s ethnic cleansing policy
- 22.02.2017Azerbaijan: Armenian occupation caused $523M worth of damage to Khojaly