Azerbaijani MP: Azerbaijan following path of peace despite all material and moral damage
Azerbaijan has suffered material damage amounting to $810 billion according to the working group’s preliminary estimation, said Azerbaijani MP Fattah Heydarov.
Heydarov, who also chairs the Council of Elders of Azerbaijan, made the remarks at the international conference on the theme “Armenian military intervention in Azerbaijani territories: damage and casualties," held in Baku Feb. 22, APA reported.
The MP said this is the damage caused by the destruction of man-made properties.
“Moreover, the Azerbaijani people have suffered enormous moral damage as well. However, after coming to power in the country, national leader Heydar Aliyev expressed willingness to solve the conflict peacefully. Heydar Aliyev’s policy is being continued by the country’s current President Ilham Aliyev,” he said.
“World leaders’ appealing to our president and asking him about his views at the Munich conference proved that we are following the path of peace and tranquility. We have chosen to continue following this path of peace in the face of all these material and moral losses,” said Heydarov, noting that Azerbaijan wants the Nagorno-Karabakh region and the seven surrounding districts to be returned through negotiations.
“The presidential order on the restoration of Jojug Marjanli shows that we will restore our territories and our people will return there. Furthermore, Azerbaijan is ready to ensure the security of all nations living in those lands, including the Armenian people. That is the way of our president”, he added.
Heydarov noted that the world is experiencing complicated processes.
“Processes accompanied by economic troubles and wars are everywhere. Today mankind should think that big massacres have always been caused by the Armenian factor. This factor must be prevented. They again intend to create a wartime atmosphere. The international community should unite their efforts and react to the aggressors”, he said.
The Armenian occupation of Azerbaijani territories caused $819 million worth of damage to Azerbaijan according to the estimation of the Working Group, created to estimate the losses and causalities caused by the Armenian occupation.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 20.06.2018Deputy PM: Azerbaijan's main goal to liberate its occupied lands
- 20.06.2018Return to Jojug Marjanli further strengthened IDPs’ hope to return to native lands: committee chairman
- 20.06.2018Nagorno-Karabakh conflict requires early political settlement - EU
- 18.06.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Manvel Grigoryan participated in Khojaly genocide and other war crimes
- 17.06.2018News about the alleged flights of "fighter aircraft" of Armenia over Khankendi – the next information adventurism of the enemy
- 17.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 83 times
- 15.06.2018Zakharova: Creating favorable atmosphere key to resolving Karabakh conflict
- 15.06.2018Kremlin: Too early to talk about further Aliyev-Pashinyan meetings
- 15.06.2018Separatist Nagorno-Karabakh regime's ex-minister of defense released
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in near future: OSCE MG co-chairs
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani official calls Armenian president’s visit to Nagorno-Karabakh illegal
- 13.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The visit of the Armenian president to the Kalbajar region is a provocation"
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs meet Armenian PM
- 13.06.2018Armenian president visits occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs arrive in Armenia
- 12.06.2018MFA: Azerbaijan to keep increasing its defense capability as long as Armenia continues occupation policy
- 11.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The statements of the Armenian FM confirm that Armenia is a party to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 10.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 144 times
- 09.06.2018MEP: I and my group will never pay illegal visit to Nagorno Karabakh
- 09.06.2018MP: Liberation of occupied lands in Nakhchivan is triumph of Azerbaijani president’s policy
- 09.06.2018Ilham Aliyev: I hope ACRE will adequately assess fact of occupation of Azerbaijani lands
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani Army liberated over 11 thousand hectares of land in Nakhchivan
- 08.06.2018OSCE representatives visit Tartar district executive authority
- 07.06.2018Russian FM responds to Armenian PM’s idea that Nagorno-Karabakh should join negotiations as a party
- 07.06.2018Russia says will continue to help sides find solution to Karabakh conflict
- 07.06.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry responds to Armenian PM’s statement
- 07.06.2018Popov: OSCE MG co-chairs’ planned visit to Armenia aims to hold talks with new gov’t
- 07.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "I hope that the new leadership of Armenia will not repeat the mistakes of the previous government"
- 06.06.2018Australian Senate expresses support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 05.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Armenia on June 13
- 03.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 82 times
- 01.06.2018Russian Foreign Ministry considers Pashinyan’s statement on settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict unconstructive
- 01.06.2018Oettinger: Karabakh conflict settlement ‘impossible’ without Russia
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev and Nikol Pashinyan can meet in coming weeks – Armenian FM
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Destruction of Azerbaijan’s historical, religious monuments by Armenia is unprecedented vandalism
- 30.05.2018Nagorno-Karabakh conflict to be discussed at OSCE PA session
- 29.05.2018Baku: Armenian soldiers' shooting at Azerbaijani civilians shows inadmissibility of status quo
- 29.05.2018Agricultural machinery in Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli hit by multiple bullets during Armenian shelling
- 28.05.2018President: Only way for Nagorno Karabakh conflict settlement is restoration of Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 28.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani army among world's 50 strongest armies
- 22.02.2017Khojaly 25 years on – an evocative musical remembrance held in Geneva
- 22.02.2017Ambassador: Azerbaijan will use all int’l platforms to resolve Karabakh conflict
- 22.02.2017US committed to Minsk Group process on Karabakh settlement – ambassador
- 22.02.2017Azerbaijani FM: Unresolved Karabakh conflict undermines peace, stability in region
- 22.02.2017Azerbaijani FM: Khojaly Genocide – example of Armenia’s ethnic cleansing policy
- 22.02.2017Azerbaijan: Armenian occupation caused $523M worth of damage to Khojaly